Half-Arxed exploration

OK so flame me if this has been clarified already but I couldn't see anything about it for sure...

I have my original account out in the black, meandering back from DW2 and I see that the original rate of Arx that was coming in per play session has been cut way back/

So I took another account out a couple of kylies and wandered a bit - FSS everything, map "goodies" or map all in smaller systems, couple of NSP with jaggies etc - about 4 to 8 Arx a session.

On bringing that account back to the bubble, 3 Arx for the return trip (going to main menu). Start up again sell the carto data (about 40MCr) - nearly 300 Arx awarded with weekly cap reached flashing in green.

So the question - is someone out exploring going to remain on this paltry reward level and then on selling their gazillions of data only going to get 400 Arx? It is too much to hope that the system will say right that's 10 weeks of play so you can have up to 4000 Arx? No chance!

TL / DR Have F D said they will balance out to reward exploration play more than some kid buying and selling their ship armour?

Try the BGS, you get nothing for missions at any time. At least it's consistent

That's not my week... my first account is doing some BGS stuff, and my alt account is out there exploring. I guess that it will resort by spending real money if I want something shiny, like during old good time. But with extra bugs this time :)

It’s an odd one certainly. I’ve had a fairly quiet time of it in ED lately due to play time constraints so have just used the limited time to top up on data and materials. Sitting at Jameson’s Cobra and farming HGEs in one Imperial system has maxed out my weekly ARX in a matter of hours of game time. At the moment the ARX earned for using a material trader, gimping the muddled HGE issue essentially, is rewarding us more than actually playing an entire section of the game’s design.

I’m sure a fix will come but with all of the issues I’m not convinced it will be at the top of the list.

...although with Zac’s response to that open letter it does seem they look to fix some ‘easy wins’ over some bigger but harder to fix bugs, so just how hard a problem is this to fix ( non techie type asking a genuine question.)

So I took another account out a couple of kylies and wandered a bit - FSS everything, map "goodies" or map all in smaller systems, couple of NSP with jaggies etc - about 4 to 8 Arx a session.

On bringing that account back to the bubble, 3 Arx for the return trip (going to main menu). Start up again sell the carto data (about 40MCr) - nearly 300 Arx awarded with weekly cap reached flashing in green.

So the question - is someone out exploring going to remain on this paltry reward level and then on selling their gazillions of data only going to get 400 Arx? It is too much to hope that the system will say right that's 10 weeks of play so you can have up to 4000 Arx? No chance!

TL / DR Have F D said they will balance out to reward exploration play more than some kid buying and selling their ship armour?

I'm getting about 20 arx per day Exploring and I appear to be doing even less than you (FSS everything, Map only the Earthlikes). Doing about 50 systems per day.

As for the data dumping "wasting" arx, the obvious solution is to sell the data page by page until the arx-cap is reached, then wait a week before selling any more. Of course, you'd want to avoid activities that were likely to result in ship destruction (like flying in Open) while you waited. And it might take some time; I had 2 billion credits worth of data from my last exploration trip. It took me three weeks to sell it all, flying around the Bubble strategically dumping one page-worth everywhere I docked. If the cap is reached at 40 MCr, then it would've taken me fifty weeks to sell it all off, if the goal was arx-maxing. But my way was giving max BGS impact, and I'd have ended up with about 1200 arx - which is still three times better than 400.

Last edited:
OK so flame me
As you wish...
img-6705-copy.JPG

Especially baffling because other professions seem to reward you with more ARX while doing them (missions, mining) than at completion of the task (even though that might be a bug).

Still, they are rewarding explorers that make short trips around the bubble and come back to sell their data and cash in the ARX, while long-range explorers get a one-time cash-in of 400 ARX when they are back, or they sell their exploration data in bundles every week to reach the 400 ARX cap until they have sold it all or blow up. :p

Last edited:
I went off on a bit of a rant a few hours ago in another thread. I said much the same thing, that the disproportionate amount of Arx earned vs time spent for collecting exploration data and selling the data feels like a massive slap in the face to deep space explorers and should be corrected. I even went so far as to take my most generous Arx earning estimate based on my gameplay to determine that I would need to spend 57 hours exploring to earn 400 Arx without handing in the data, and that it would take someone who only manages 10 hours a week 6 months to earn a single paint job compared to 5-6 weeks it would take for someone in the bubble.

I'm not looking for exploration to earn more Arx overall than other playstyles, nor am I looking for exploration to earn more Arx overall than it currently is. What I am looking for is the Arx reward for handing in data to be reduced in favour of an increase to Arx rewards for collecting the data, with the total Arx earning remaining the same (when ignoring the weekly Arx caps).

I had wondered about this as well, wondering if some people would be compelled to just sell their months of data bit by bit over many weeks so they don't hit the arx cap.

It's my understanding that it's this way for the BGS as well for influencing a given faction.

I'm still out in the black as well, by the way, but I'm not all that worried about arx. Still, fair is fair, and I'm not fond of deep space explorers getting shorted. Lost arx isn't just lost "pixels;" it's potentially lost money for some players as well, if they're looking to get something with it.

Last edited:
Is it still the case that if you don't do conflict zones or "exploit" the mechanic you'll never hit the cap anyway?

Its only 400 arx pick your battles people.

Open letter 800 arx per week?

Is it still the case that if you don't do conflict zones or "exploit" the mechanic you'll never hit the cap anyway?

Its only 400 arx pick your battles people.

Open letter 800 arx per week?
So what's the exploration data weekly arx cap for selling data?

Billions of credits worth of data could presumably be worth a whole lot more than 400 arx.

So what's the exploration data weekly arx cap for selling data?

Billions of credits worth of data could presumably be worth a whole lot more than 400 arx.

Probably. I was using the view of arx collection as a regular thing worth targeting every week. Definitely unbalanced, but even if you fixed it the amount is so pitiful anyway... we don't get many development bones as you probably know.

Top Bottom