Harmless restricted systems will be ganked to death

Deleted member 38366

D
I guess this fairly hard "quickfix" was easier than making a Group of Systems "Maximum Security" and get a real failsafe C&P System in place that's working to enforce the Security Levels of inhabited Systems shrugs

I think restricting access is a bad idea.

The crime and punishment mechanism now makes ganking such hard work.

Also it stops people who like to guide and help newbies performing that role.

I have done a restart with an alt cmdr and ranked him up in no time, but did manage to help a new cmdr along the way with tips and tricks.

On top of that, I was not ganked the whole time I was in starter systems. Indeed there seemed to be protocol of people arranging pvp battles.

Last edited:
I think restricting access is a bad idea.

The crime and punishment mechanism now makes ganking such hard work.

Also it stops people who like to guide and help newbies performing that role.

I have done a restart with an alt cmdr and ranked him up in no time, but did manage to help a new cmdr along the way with tips and tricks.

On top of that, I was not ganked the whole time I was in starter systems. Indeed there seemed to be protocol of people arranging pvp battles.
My advice to new players both online & those I talk to in RL who are interested in the game is........leave your starter system once you can fly your ship & navigate to other systems - not just by one or two systems, move well away by a good couple of hundered LY's.
Learn the game from a 'quieter' region.

Oh! & don't play Open mode, play solo until you get the feel for the game. If you've got a 'friend' as a helper, get them to create a player group for you both.

My advice to new players both online & those I talk to in RL who are interested in the game is........leave your starter system once you can fly your ship & navigate to other systems - not just by one or two systems, move well away by a good couple of hundered LY's.
Learn the game from a 'quieter' region.

Oh! & don't play Open mode, play solo until you get the feel for the game. If you've got a 'friend' as a helper, get them to create a player group for you both.
Just one point to note with this idea, there are training missions available to new pilots and these are only available in starter systems.

wouldn't it of been easier to just stop players damaging ships with really low ranks. so if a player attacks ship helmless and below, the weapons damage is zero
therefore no need to a new system, no need to block any body from getting in there etc.

feels like its been way over thought and made complicated for no good reason.

maybe there are special NPCs in there and scripted missions to train new players.

wouldn't it of been easier to just stop players damaging ships with really low ranks. so if a player attacks ship helmless and below, the weapons damage is zero
therefore no need to a new system, no need to block any body from getting in there etc.

feels like its been way over thought and made complicated for no good reason.

maybe there are special NPCs in there and scripted missions to train new players.

Any solution that revolves around weapons magically not hurting certain ships is terrible.

Maybe put a delay in the account reset that increases with each reset. So when a player kills a couple of players and gets to Mostly Harmless they'll have to wait until the account reset function is available to go at it again. No big ships, no big weapons, no engineering, plus increasing waiting times = no more seal clubbing!

maybe let them become good pews instead of destroying them with uber engineered ships risking that they quit forever?

Git gud at mentoring instead.

It's not mutually exclusive and I know you don't have any evidence that suggests such a forgone conclusion.
Many people are more motivated by such things after all.

It's not a bad idea. Consider why they are doing it - because the influx of new players is being swatted away like Galaga shooting the little bumble bee aliens. Their first experience in actual gameplay is someone rams them in a station or shoots them before they make their first jump, for no reason.

People that are more motivated by being ganked and take it with a laughter are fewer than those who go to solo and you know it. You can deny it as much as you want and ask for evidence ad libitum. I am not going to make statistics because I play here, I do not work. FD does statistics, and FD felt compelled to create a safe zone for players, that is good enough evidence for me on top of what I have seen during these years.

Do you think that's the only reason they made starter zones? I mean, learning to dock is hard enough when you start out. Ask Warg. :D

People that are more motivated by being ganked and take it with a laughter are fewer than those who go to solo and you know it. You can deny it as much as you want and ask for evidence ad libitum. I am not going to make statistics because I play here, I do not work. FD does statistics, and FD felt compelled to create a safe zone for players, that is good enough evidence for me on top of what I have seen during these years.
Especially the older crowd I think.

Do you know why I don't care about this?

Because it will achieve nothing. It won't be of benefit to new players, or old ones, in any way, nor will it detract from the game in any way

We'll get the same results here as we do in EVE Online: a bunch of new players isolated from the reality of the game, only to be slapped in the face upon leaving the confines of the safety of their starter system, discovering the game wasn't actually what it looked like from within those confines, and quitting anyway. Because here's the thing about games like this.

People who quit were always going to eventually, no matter what you do. People who quit because they got blown up by a player will quit because they got blown up from an NPC as well. It makes absolutely no difference. Ultimately, some players might stick around a little longer, but all that means is the game's new mechanics will delay the inevitable. It's all about attitude, and there's no such thing as a game that accommodates everyone. And every game that tries will fail to accommodate anyone at all.

Do you know why I don't care about this?

Because it will achieve nothing. It won't be of benefit to new players, or old ones, in any way, nor will it detract from the game in any way

We'll get the same results here as we do in EVE Online: a bunch of new players isolated from the reality of the game, only to be slapped in the face upon leaving the confines of the safety of their starter system, discovering the game wasn't actually what it looked like from within those confines, and quitting anyway. Because here's the thing about games like this.

People who quit were always going to eventually, no matter what you do. People who quit because they got blown up by a player will quit because they got blown up from an NPC as well. It makes absolutely no difference. Ultimately, some players might stick around a little longer, but all that means is the game's new mechanics will delay the inevitable. It's all about attitude, and there's no such thing as a game that accommodates everyone. And every game that tries will fail to accommodate anyone at all.

WRONG
At the least new player will have time to learn the controls and other aspects of the ship.
I moved to solo and pg because I kept getting blown up and put back in a sidey before I ever learned controls and how to respond to chat.
OH: Been here since week one of release.

WRONG
At the least new player will have time to learn the controls and other aspects of the ship.
I moved to solo and pg because I kept getting blown up and put back in a sidey before I ever learned controls and how to respond to chat.
OH: Been here since week one of release.

New players already get that, as they're confined to solo mode until they've made at least one jump.

New players can also already get that by also confining themselves to solo mode until they understand the controls of the ship. Entering open mode before coming to that understanding is a choice a player makes. A player can also choose to leave the safety of a starter area long before they've come to this understanding. Therefore, nothing changes. Nothing. Not one thing.

I've been here since long BEFORE release, as an alpha/beta backer. How long you've been playing is not a qualifier for your points, and is as irrelevant to this discussion as how long I've been playing. I don't know why you'd think this would mean anything to me, but it doesn't.

Top Bottom