Haven't played in a couple years and I can't get my bindings to work!!!! I'm losing my mind

Hey there!! I hope you can help me out.

I had downloaded a custom binding for the Thrust Master T Flight HOTAS X that I have. When I just reinstalled the game it wouldn't work anymore. I thought that's cool, I'll just remove it from my bindings folder and create a new custom one to see what should be changed or updated. When I create a custom bind in ED it just refuses to create a txt file (.bind). I even tried deleting my Bindings folder.

I finally got fed up with it and downloaded this one http://www.edrefcard.info/binds/rbbysb

I tried pasting it into the folder and launching the game. It still just says Custom the random one I tried to get it to create. Which only has 1 button setup.

I'm almost to the point where I've going to uninstall and move on to the next game. Any ideas?

Btw I should add that my Bindings folder is completely empty except the file that I downloaded and put in there.

I just reinstalled and I also deleted the Frontier folder from %appdata%. The Frontier folder came back but without a Binding file. I created the binding file and put TMHotasXModsSM.4.0 in it. I see the usual key binding presets and a custom. The custom is still the one I used earlier to test and see if it would create a file.

Turned off Windows Defender, went into ED to change a couple options in the custom to see if it would save. Nope.

Anymore ideas?

if guide followed to the letter for horizons first (3.0) and that version played for a bit
then the new custom4.0 file for odyssey which has nothing to do with horizons is renamed as per guide for the custom(4.0) file then no I am clueless
old binds from horizons are not compatible with odyssey.
version 3.0 is for hor only version 4.0 is for odyssey only you cant rename a version 3.0 file 4.0 and expect it to work and vice versa

Last edited:
I'm totally guessing but anyway...

1. Disconnect all ED custom controls per joystick, throttle, gamepad whatever from the PC leaving only keyboard and mouse.
2. Start the launcher not the game.
3. From the launcher Options menu run Validate Game Files.
4. Start the game and acccept the keyboard and mouse as the controls.
5.Quit the game and the launcher.
6. Connect your custom controls.
7. Start the game and see if your controls show up and custom works.
8. If it works backup up the bindings folder to somewhere else.
9. With any future bindings changes backup the bindings folder again.

ED can find many popular controllers and add them to the list as a starting point.

Regards

Last edited:
... I see the usual key binding presets ...

Just to be clear, the options / bindings directory should not contain any "... presets ..." - the preset control schemes are held elsewhere. Your custom and manually added options should live in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

note that it is %LOCALAPPDATA% not %appdata% - see if that helps you any.

Good luck

Just to be clear, the options / bindings directory should not contain any "... presets ..." - the preset control schemes are held elsewhere. Your custom and manually added options should live in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

note that it is %LOCALAPPDATA% not %appdata% - see if that helps you any.

Good luck
Alright I feel stupid. I am both angry with myself and happy with you. When I did this 2 years ago it was all in the %appdata% folder. You're right, I looked in the %localappdata% folder and there was my custom bindings file. My old was in there too but it still had a version of 3.0. I have a new problem though. Since I am actually going to the correct folder now I can see the BindingLoadingErrors log. It says this "Missing devices: ThrustMasterTFlightHOTASX". Does that mean Windows recognizes my HOTAS as a different device label? How would change that? Thanks!

I tried opening the game without Steam. I also went into Steam and make sure default controller wasn't checked. I installed New Drivers for my HOTAS. I replaced every instance of "ThrustMasterTFlightHOTASX" in the binding to the random number it gave me. That actually made the preset show up and I could fly around, but everything was wrong. My throttle turned the ship instead of controlling speed.

so there was no confusion the full actual path is in my guide but ho hum
may need to use notepad ++ to find an change the new device name within the file ie gamepad etc
using the nb method to create a new profile find the device id of the new profile then copy that back to the old file using notepad++
sounds like you renamed a version 3.0 file 4.0 to me which you cannot do if you want it to work properly
odyssey is effectively a brand new game with brand new controls to configure you seem to fail to recognize that old binds from horizons wont work
if using horizons sucsesfully then ody is installed the binds will auto copy over to the new version 4.0 file for odyssey with some minor things to change for on foot control

Last edited:
Top Bottom