Heating is not from weapons.

As far as I know, protecting the hull from overheating does not affect the heating of the ship from the star.

I suggest taking this into account that I have brought at least the popularity of the mirror shell among researchers.

I think he is trying to say mirrored bulkheads don't protect from overheating, but then...they do? I don't know. I'm as confused as the next guy. One of the things he's saying is correct, but it's purely circumstantial.

I think he means that reflective armor protects from thermal weapon damage, but do not make you run cooler near the stars which would make them a meaningful investment for explorers. It's true that it is inconsistent, but so is the fact that having a white paintjob is exactly the same as having a midnight black one.

I think he means that reflective armor protects from thermal weapon damage, but do not make you run cooler near the stars which would make them a meaningful investment for explorers. It's true that it is inconsistent, but so is the fact that having a white paintjob is exactly the same as having a midnight black one.

Well if we are talking about heat, have you ever worn a white t-shirt in the summer sun and then switched to a black one?
The difference is huge.

Well if we are talking about heat, have you ever worn a white t-shirt in the summer sun and then switched to a black one?
The difference is huge.
Yes, I believe that is what I was saying. Albedo should matter, but in ED it doesn't (mainly because paintjobs are just cosmetic items).

The difference is huge.
Funny you say that, in certain very hot climates natives wear black. Because in those specific conditions it helps to deal with heat better :)

Yes, I believe that is what I was saying. Albedo should matter, but in ED it doesn't (mainly because paintjobs are just cosmetic items).

OK, as long as we're on the same page lol. (which we are BTW lol)
OP does raise an interesting question. Is weapon heat damage somehow different to star heat damage?
It would be cool if reflective armor gave some protection from it for our long range explorer comrades.
X.

Funny you say that, in certain very hot climates natives wear black. Because in those specific conditions it helps to deal with heat better
If you mean the beduins, the colour is irrelevant as the garment is cool because of the air moving between the skin and the cloth (same reason why layered clothing helps against the cold).

If you mean the beduins, the colour is irrelevant as the garment is cooled by air moving between the skin and the cloth (same reason why layered clothing helps against the cold).
It is relevant. White clothing not only reflects more radiation from the sun, but also infrared radiation coming off from your hot body(i'm being scientific, no boundaries are crossed). In a dry windy climates black loose clothing will absorb more heat from you.

It is relevant. White clothing not only reflects more radiation from the sun, but also infrared radiation coming off from your hot body(i'm being scientific, no boundaries are crossed). In a dry windy climates black loose clothing will absorb more heat from you.
Maybe you have another study, but.

It's entirely possible I have another study, if I could remember. Which may or may not be completely bogus
It's just that native desert dwelling people don't systematically wear black - Tuaregs for instance wear white and blue. With centuries of experience, you could imagine they would have reached black too if it was clearly superior.

It's just that native desert dwelling people don't systematically wear black - Tuaregs for instance wear white and blue. With centuries of experience, you could imagine they would have reached black too if it was clearly superior.

Heat management is not the only aspect you consider when dying your clothes. If it would, the Inuit dresscode would be all black. (With white undergarment, based on what this thread says. ) The moment you try to impress your potential future wife with your outfit or try to sneak over a snow field in an all black outfit to hunt your food, the all-black might suddenly not be the prefered option any more.

The same might apply to the desert people. It's not like they declare "hey, we're gonna have a celebration, we all are cheerful people, so wear your prettiest and most colorful all-black outfit"... :D

Heat management is not the only aspect you consider when dying your clothes. If it would, the Inuit dresscode would be all black.
Yeah, that is true, though the black colour wouldn't really be that effective in the arctic regions considering the lack of sunlight during periods when you need the warmth - and pretty much irrelevant compared to layered clothing.

Anyway, since the black versus white desert clothing was already tested and found not to have a difference, I'm inclined to believe the test unless someone provides evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is true, though the black colour wouldn't really be that effective in the arctic regions considering the lack of sunlight during periods when you need the warmth - and pretty much irrelevant compared to layered clothing.

Anyway, since the black versus white desert clothing was already tested and found not to have a difference, I'm inclined to believe the test unless someone provides evidence to the contrary.
I'd love to say I will personally test this, but that would be a blatant lie :) I hate heat. Maybe I should wrap myself in thermal blankets...would that help?

Sorry to interrupt your conversation.
But I just wanted that with an increase in thermal protection on the ship's hull, it could not longer overheat from the star.

Top Bottom