Ships Help me understand this ship stats discrepancy (Krait vs Python)

I generally rely on Coriolis for theorycrafting and planning out builds. But apparently, the data provided there is not that reliable, or seems to tell only half the story.

In this video by D2EA, it is demonstrated that between a Krait Mk II and a Python in absolutely equal outfits, the Krait will rotate (pitch) somewhat faster than its in-house competitor:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VEgX7OrELs

However, when replicating the outfits in Coriolis, it gives the opposite impression, attributing a slight edge to the Python (33.6 vs 30.2 deg/s).

I also checked, it remains the same proportion with fully engineered thrusters -- then it's 39 vs 36 deg/s or something like that.
How can this be explained? Why does the Python loop faster on paper but slower in the actual game? And how can I find out if other ships are affected without buying and clocking each of them?

But apparently, the data provided there is not that reliable, or seems to tell only half the story.
As I said in another thread,theorycraft on Coriolis gives you the "gross" idea about the comeout,but it's in game that you test stuff for real,never take the figures "on paper" as a Bible,and in game the MK II is a bit better in handling than the Python.

I generally rely on Coriolis for theorycrafting and planning out builds. But apparently, the data provided there is not that reliable, or seems to tell only half the story.

In this video by D2EA, it is demonstrated that between a Krait Mk II and a Python in absolutely equal outfits, the Krait will rotate (pitch) somewhat faster than its in-house competitor:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VEgX7OrELs

However, when replicating the outfits in Coriolis, it gives the opposite impression, attributing a slight edge to the Python (33.6 vs 30.2 deg/s).

I also checked, it remains the same proportion with fully engineered thrusters -- then it's 39 vs 36 deg/s or something like that.
How can this be explained? Why does the Python loop faster on paper but slower in the actual game? And how can I find out if other ships are affected without buying and clocking each of them?
The maneuverability of the ship depends on the number of pips in the engine.

I'm putting a coriolis guard distributer and I don't see anywhere a 5% increase in energy

Yeah but pips don't change the ratio. D2EA ran his test with 4 pips to ENG iirc, and I checked both 2 and 4 pips on Cor. In Cor the Python (all else being equal) always looks more agile than the Krait, when in reality it isn't.

Have a look on EDSY https://edsy.org/ the stock specs are reversed with the Krait mk 2 having slightly better agility, considering the Pythons hull is 30 T heavier (higher armour hardness?) this seems reasonable.

I've always found the Pythons handling to be very dependent on thruster settings having to be right in the middle of the blue zone for best results, certainly other ships are less sensitive to thruster settings so I reckon the Krait has been designed in this manner.

Anyways the high efficiency boost cycle on the Krait makes a much bigger difference in flight characteristics than a few additional degrees/sec in turn rates.

Also remember that FDev have different base settings for the ships so even if they're practically identical on the surface they will vary in practice e.g. a stock Python should have worse shields than a stock Krait (based on hull mass) but the Python has around 11% stronger shields.

considering the Pythons hull is 30 T heavier (higher armour hardness?)
+1 slot class 6.

P.S. Excuse me, do you happen to know how to see the energy correction on the EDSY when installing the guardian distributor?

Last edited:
+1 slot class 6.

P.S. Excuse me, do you happen to know how to see the energy correction on the EDSY when installing the guardian distributor?

Well the slots supposedly have no mass that comes from the installed module or cargo in the case of cargo racks I guess, I've always imagined that higher hardness hull would use denser alloys to achieve better armour protection but in reality it'll be just a line on a spreadsheet sigh! ;)

Adding the Guardian PD does add 4% it's listed in the module specs top right but it doesn't appear to impact the overall power generation listed bottom left (you get small changes due to the higher power draw of the Guardian PD),

You can see it working in game on the power tab though, but I wouldn't use either the Guardian PD or power plant if I had the time and mats to engineer human tech equivalents.

After all the power plant is around a G3 overcharged and the PD a G3 charge enhanced with higher mass and lower integrity, they're ok as a quick fix but I'd never fit them to a "keeper" ship.

Thank you @Ceekay for the detailed answer -- so it's simply Coriolis that has faulty figures and the EDSY numbers are more accurate. Good to know!

Just a pity that edsy is so cumbersome to use... Guess I should get used to it. :/

considering the Pythons hull is 30 T heavier (higher armour hardness?) this seems reasonable.
It's not only about "weight" it's also about Thrusters weakness or better efficiency from one ship to another,Fdev twicked the ships at their own will and in many cases things make little sense if you try refer to real physics.

It's not only about "weight" it's also about Thrusters weakness or better efficiency from one ship to another,Fdev twicked the ships at their own will and in many cases things make little sense if you try refer to real physics.

The additional mass (and more importantly rotational inertia) will impact the speed and agility, agreed every ship has FDevs thruster efficiency profile with the Krait(s) way at the far right of the scale.

It's the poor thermal efficiency of the Guardian power plants that I'm not keen on as it can cause thermal problems with a full PA build or even a pair of Imperial Hammers, add to that the heat beams used by some Anacondas in pirate threat zones and you'll soon be taking heat damage.

I build this mk2 https://edsy.org/s/vMRKi3s to keep thermals under control for pirate threat Conda heat attacks.

It really depends on what you're doing but Guardian power plants I'd limit to bubble taxi's and some cargo haulers not for combat or a ship that does a lot fuel scooping.

Here's a Dolphin you can practically park in the star's corona while scooping ;) https://edsy.org/s/vUqpnEx

It's the poor thermal efficiency of the Guardian power plants that I'm not keen on as it can cause thermal problems with a full PA build
My combat Phantom with 4 PAs laughed a lot at this ;)

It really depends on what you're doing but Guardian power plants
Literally everything and I have no problems (y)

not for combat or a ship that does a lot fuel scooping.
Have you even tried?

If you put the guardian PD into the ship and you are 100% < your power use < 104% the TTL tile will adjust to the 104% power limit. the mouse other the power priorities and it shows you the numbers. The power priority numbers right to the module in the middle tile will also be red if there is not enough power.

PD.png

Thank you @Ceekay for the detailed answer -- so it's simply Coriolis that has faulty figures and the EDSY numbers are more accurate. Good to know!

Just a pity that edsy is so cumbersome to use... Guess I should get used to it. :/
Or not. I find coriolis ease of use and information display to be hands down better than edsy. It's calculations are close enough that it doesn't make a difference from a practical perspective. But either way, 07 commander and welcome to ED :)

The Krait Mk II is a Python light. More maneuverable and faster with the same weapons but less hull and shield protection. Still it is my go to ship to take out Thargoids per this build. I have another one just to gather materials at Guardian sites. Don't think too much just enjoy flying it.

Krait02.jpg
Then flying the Krait I have this need to eat pancakes...

Last edited:
I think Krait was brought into the game because there were too many suggestions that Python should be redone.

Top Bottom