Here we go...The Update has Started

The ED servers are currently offline updating the latest edition to the game. The PC launcher says upgrading.

Is it also being released for the Xbox and PS4? My PS4 account says that I cannot connect to the ED servers.

Last edited:
I confess I'm more nervous about this update than any other, possibly even including the one that massively altered Engineering.

I've not had chance to play the beta, and I'm deeply worried that I'm not going to get on with the new Exploration mechanics.

I confess I'm more nervous about this update than any other, possibly even including the one that massively altered Engineering.

I've not had chance to play the beta, and I'm deeply worried that I'm not going to get on with the new Exploration mechanics.

FEAR 3.3! (aka 2.4 redux)

Ive enjoyed them. They are really fun and beats sitting there for 300000 ls. You still have the chance to play the old way too, scanning planets and shooting probes at them.

They added lots of depth to gameplay. While cutting some time out if you chose to.

Pretty neat imo.

Last edited:
Ive enjoyed them. They are really fun and beat sitting there. You still have the chance to play the old way too, scanning planets and shooting probes at them.

They added lots of depth to gameplay. While cutting some time out if you chose to.

Pretty neat imo.

Good to hear, and I'm sure I'll gen with it in time. I've just got that sinking feeling you get when you know you've got probably a couple of hours of keybind-twiddling (on a Warthog) ahead of you. It's the Improved Camera Suite all over again :)

Had the same fears when the introduced SRV in Horizons, never went near an SRV for weeks after, but now it is second nature and IMHO a relaxing way to enjoy ED. You will get used to the new things, that i am sure off, as much as Tersa may still being UK's PM by Christmas Day HeHe!

Had the same fears when the introduced SRV in Horizons, never went near an SRV for weeks after, but now it is second nature and IMHO a relaxing way to enjoy ED. You will get used to the new things, that i am sure off, as much as Tersa may still being UK's PM by Christmas Day HeHe!

Yeah, I know once I've got used to it it'll be fine, I just don't cope with change very well. Autism is fun :)

Deleted member 182079

D

As someone that played the beta quite extensively, I say worry not.

At first glance I found the FSS a bit over complicated and unwieldy, but after maybe an hour of playtime it 'clicked', once you understand the concept and get used to the controls it all makes sense.

Since that moment I couldn't bear going back to 3.2 exploration mechanics and put that on hold until... today.

In fact, even the thought of deep space exploration prior to 3.3 put me off (went to Sag A* once - pre-engineers, and Colonia twice) due to the basic jump/honk/supercruise for ages mechanic. Now I'm actually motivated to go out there and actually discover stuff.

I'm 76% Pioneer and got to that stage largely due to Passenger missions, but am determined to fill the rest just through proper exploration now.

Gaining a slot due to dropping the ADS is also a nice little bonus.

Edit: and just to add, the fact you can now identify USS's is a MASSIVE QoL improvement and will make engineering so much less grindy now.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone that played the beta quite extensively, I say worry not.

At first glance I found the FSS a bit over complicated and unwieldy, but after maybe an hour of playtime it 'clicked', once you understand the concept and get used to the controls it all makes sense.

Since that moment I couldn't bear going back to 3.2 exploration mechanics and put that on hold until... today.

In fact, even the thought of deep space exploration prior to 3.3 put me off (went to Sag A* once - pre-engineers, and Colonia twice) due to the basic jump/honk/supercruise for ages mechanic. Now I'm actually motivated to go out there and actually discover stuff.

I'm 76% Pioneer and got to that stage largely due to Passenger missions, but am determined to fill the rest just through proper exploration now.

Gaining a slot due to dropping the ADS is also a nice little bonus.

Awesome to know - thank you.

I hate more binds for exploration, I hate the way it functions and looks. I prefer honk system, system map, oh is that water / earthlike / neutron / black hole? No? Next system. I liked flying over to the target to scan it. This useless "feature" being added is just more clutter while major issues like more binding options (Shutdown field neutralizer) or you know, actual bloody content and story which this game is lacking.

I've looked but can't find anything definitive. Is this a patch (does it update 3.2)? or will it need a full re-install? Can't remember what happened at the last update.

Deleted member 182079

D
I hate more binds for exploration, I hate the way it functions and looks. I prefer honk system, system map, oh is that water / earthlike / neutron / black hole? No? Next system. I liked flying over to the target to scan it. This useless "feature" being added is just more clutter while major issues like more binding options (Shutdown field neutralizer) or you know, actual bloody content and story which this game is lacking.

Not sure how this is for people with complex HOTAS set ups (using an XBox controller on PC myself) but the bindings were not an issue at all for me, the only thing that bugged me was the different exit button and they addressed that.

And you can still check whether a system has whatever types of planets instantly by reviewing the frequency band. In fact I would say it's easier now because you don't have to listen to the sounds (water/earth) or zoom in on the system map, or check the holograph for clues. Honk, open FSS, check if any objects are in the relevant bandwidth, if yes, find them (which takes less time than actually going there via SC).

And if you enjoyed spending minutes sitting in SC waiting for a number to count down, fair enough - during those moments I usually question whether I make the best use of my free time doing so.

Edit - and on your last point, well I'm actually happy Elite doesn't have more story content. Quite like the blaze-my-own-trail approach, and the older I get the less satisfaction I get from game stories - if I want a good story I usually just watch a movie or read a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom