Horizons High Gravity planet problems

My view on the lateral thrusters change is a simple one that I am sure will explain the power difference in space as opposed to planetary surfaces...

You fitted a Planetary landing suite (I think that's what it's called, the last thing on your internals list) it wasn't built for re-entry as, so far no planets have atmospheres.. and even when we can land on atmospheric planets .. our ships can scoop fuel directly from stars .. a 'little' heat from re-entry might warm up your coffee in these ships.

So ... what did it add .. Well what about stronger thrusters for planetary landings . :D

Because the module itself is so cheap my own lore is that it's just the avionics pack for navigation and landing, as well as a computer that 'boosts' the power of the vertical thrusters to that required to lift off, at the expense of thrust from all other thrusters.

This can even be seen to possibly be the case, as when you take, say, an FDL to a 1.5g world and orient straight down the ship's reverse thrusters are unable to keep the ship aloft even though the gravity is only 14.7m/s^2 and the FDL's reverse thrusters generate more than 24m/s^2 in space. (vertical downwards are also unable to keep you aloft when flying upside-down, despite generating more than 20m/s^2 in space, just incase that was somehow an issue with the ship wobbling while on the reverse thrusters)
Ships also end up drifting to much higher degrees when preforming fast maneuvers while above a planet than they do in space, further showing that the thrusters other than vertical upwards are weakened.

Last edited:
I remember seeing somewhere else, the problem with High-g planets, and the reason the flight model feels "wrong", is that they put a floor() function in the thruster force equation to keep you from getting stuck. No matter what G of planet your on, you always have some minimum amount of thrust over the force of gravity, and what that adds up to is G+floor() which is a variable (unique to the planet) level of thrust only applied in the downward direction. It just feels wrong because it is wrong. I wish they'd just let us get stuck.

It's probably the biggest misstep in realism in the game, IMO.

Last edited:
I remember seeing somewhere else, the problem with High-g planets, and the reason the flight model feels "wrong", is that they put a floor() function in the thruster force equation to keep you from getting stuck. No matter what G of planet your on, you always have some minimum amount of thrust over the force of gravity, and what that adds up to is G+floor() which is a variable (unique to the planet) level of thrust only applied in the downward direction. It just feels wrong because it is wrong. I wish they'd just let us get stuck.

It's probably the biggest misstep in realism in the game, IMO.

I would have liked that.
It's okay to have planets you can't land on.

As long as there is a fairly clear warning. Maybe on the System Map as well as on the HUD when you hit orbital cruise.
It would differentiate between the ships in an interesting and intuitive way.
If people explored as a group then the small ships would have a unique role.

The problem with explanations about boosting thruster power is it doesn't explain why we can't do it in space.
If I could boost my ventral thruster power that much we could make it so no ship ever slides when pitching up.
Additionally the ships would probably be faster to accelerate vertically than forwards.

CMDR CTCParadox

Top Bottom