Horizons Horizons Detail FX

Yeah - doh was in wrong folder :(

Anyway the fps hit is when this is enabled is insane. My game went from playable in 4k to complete slideshow when the tweaks are enabled so I guess my rig isnt able to run it - despite using a GTX 970 :(

Its ok in 1080p but on a 42 inch TV take it from me it looks absolutely awful with these tweaks. Maybe better on a monitor. I dont get anything like the results you have here. I mean its like extreme contrast, i can see a white outline around everything, all the colours are blurred out...could be my TV thats doing that however.

Shame, it looked so cool!

I suggest you play around with it a bit. I used reshade on Fallout 4, and many presets totally destroyed the FPS. However, many of the effects included have little to no effect at all, whereas some are monstrously intensive. IMHO the most important tweak here is the LumaSharpening, which is computationally very mild. You can probably get at least 90% of the improvements by turning a select few things off. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, Malek. There’s no connection problem, but Reshade isn’t loaded.

There’s a version of the dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ and I tried copying it to the Elite folder, but the result was the same. No connection problem, but no reshading either.

Same here. Uninstalled, reinstalled Shade mediator, made a basic patch using just sharpening and same results. It either causes connection issue or doesnt load at all. Win7 64b here. As I'm mostly looking for the sharpener I'll try some other stuff first. :(

Last edited:
FWIW I'm seeing a fair bit of frame rate drop since installing the "proper" v2.00 files. A loss of one or two FPS under most conditions, with a drop of 10-15FPS under stress. I didn't see any frame rate loss with the "incorrect" 1.66 files, even though the visual impact was greater.

I've also noticed that when I first launch ED, if I select the galaxy map before leaving the starport it corrupts the skybox for the current system such that it's filled with artefacts like this:

artefacts.jpg

If I jump to another system and back again everything's fine regardless of how long I play or how often I open the galaxy map. I'm not sure what's causing this, although the small (by Horizons requirements) 3GB of video RAM might be a factor. It's nothing that permanently affects the game but I thought I'd mention it in case others are seeing similar.

Last edited:
I suggest you play around with it a bit. I used reshade on Fallout 4, and many presets totally destroyed the FPS. However, many of the effects included have little to no effect at all, whereas some are monstrously intensive. IMHO the most important tweak here is the LumaSharpening, which is computationally very mild. You can probably get at least 90% of the improvements by turning a select few things off. :)

Normally these things barely affect performance. I used SweetFX for years on tons of games, it either imperceptibly lowered frames or there were no differences. I was very suprised when I enabled this to see the game become pretty much unplayable.

Apologies to all folks having issues :( Seems to me, Win7 is the one giving people the biggest headache with regard getting it to run, not sure what else to suggest as I've exhausted my limited IT skillz!

For those with FPS drops, this is most likely the lumasharpening, which unfortunately is one of the main tweaks in this preset and what gives the game its, IMO, improved looks. However it is relatively simple to disable this and the other changes maybe enough to keep using Detail FX :)

Open SweetFX file in notepad, search for the line #define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1
Change the 1 to 0 (zero :)) and save the change. This will apply all other effects that are enabled but switch off the lumasharpen.

Normally these things barely affect performance. I used SweetFX for years on tons of games, it either imperceptibly lowered frames or there were no differences. I was very suprised when I enabled this to see the game become pretty much unplayable.

Maybe its because you're pc is more powerful? I always run with resources stretched pretty thin, trying to gain a stable 25-30FPS. In that situation I found some settings really impossible to use, but I can see how it might be different when you have more power. I got myself a new GPU, maybe I should try those games again. :)

Apologies to all folks having issues :( Seems to me, Win7 is the one giving people the biggest headache with regard getting it to run, not sure what else to suggest as I've exhausted my limited IT skillz!

For those with FPS drops, this is most likely the lumasharpening, which unfortunately is one of the main tweaks in this preset and what gives the game its, IMO, improved looks. However it is relatively simple to disable this and the other changes maybe enough to keep using Detail FX :)

Open SweetFX file in notepad, search for the line #define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1
Change the 1 to 0 (zero :)) and save the change. This will apply all other effects that are enabled but switch off the lumasharpen.

I might have found something:
1) Installed ReShade (just the basic package): connection issues.
2) Installed SweetFX: Doesnt do anything
3) Installed gemFX (including sweetfx): with 64b toggled both run fine. :D

It seems to be an isolated issue with some hardware/software and ReShade, doubt there's much you can do.

Last edited:
I might have found something:
1) Installed ReShade (just the basic package): connection issues.
2) Installed SweetFX: Doesnt do anything
3) Installed gemFX (including sweetfx): with 64b toggled both run fine. :D

It seems to be an isolated issue with some hardware/software and ReShade, doubt there's much you can do.

Cool beanz! On a side note check this beauty out! using v2.0

View attachment 90431

Last edited:
That looks amazing! Thanks for this, trying it now, it does cause a FPS hit for me, how may seems do depend on where and what. The wort hit seems to be about 20 FPS.
Nice that you can toggle it off and on.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this with a DK2? does it make any difference?

I had a DK2 a few months back, and yes you can use an injector such as this, however I'm not sure how much this preset affects FPS in DK2, sorry. (sold mine to buy a 92inch projector :) will get one of the VR headsets when they goto retail for sure)

Last edited:
Your setting is nice but that there's some setting bothering me. I can see that you like a lot to sharpen the image. But that's not the one I am talking about.
This is vanilla nebula.
vanilla.jpg
This is yours.
malek.jpg
This is mine that is made over your config. But I am not using liftgamma, levels, curves etc. I am using filmicpass cause I just like that one alot.
vermu.jpg

Your nebula is very pixelated and might not be for the masses. Same thing goes with all the textures. It's not that bad in picture but when playing it really strikes to my eye. I tried to lower the sharpen values but they did not have an effect on the nebula. So it's some other setting. Your setting is nice and take this as constructive critique.

Last edited:
Your setting is nice and take this as constructive critique.

Thanks man, and I do :) I also aim to please, so if I can assist in getting folks the "perfect" setup I will.

I think the main thing is that if you look at the screenshots from my preset alot of the "background dust" is filtered out, therefore in my opinion it makes the nebula's more prominent in the background of space, if the dust was still there maybe it would make less of an impact on the way the Nubelas look? Also there is also a couple of tweaks n the graphicsconfiguration file for the galaxy background and nebula's, have you tried running the preset with the vanilla graphicsconfiguration file?

Thanks man, and I do :) I also aim to please, so if I can assist in getting folks the "perfect" setup I will.

I think the main thing is that if you look at the screenshots from my preset alot of the "background dust" is filtered out, therefore in my opinion it makes the nebula's more prominent in the background of space, if the dust was still there maybe it would make less of an impact on the way the Nubelas look?

Yes, now nebulas look kinda harsh cause cause there's no soft edge and part of it is filtered out I guess. I am using vanilla graphics file. I have larger planet and background texture though. For people who want more softness and less crispiness it might be a bit distractive. You are seeing those nebulas and background textures all the time. But if you fine with that it's ok.

There won't ever be perfect config. We all have different tastes and that's why we all tweak it how we prefer it. At some point I liked when the colours were towards blue. Now I am satisfied with just bit of sharpening, contrast and vibrance.
tweak_2.jpgvanilla_2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow those screens look absolutely beautiful, I love Reshade/Sweetfx and have been toying with the idea of using it in this game, Consider me convinced! :D

Back
Top Bottom