Horizons / Odyssey Compatibility

Fanboys? Attacks? Precious? You all right there mate?

FD announced that if you want to get the EDO stuff immediately you have to buy EDO. Else you get stuff for free in a few months. Okay, I can live with that. If you want to rage for hours about you not getting it for free immediately, by all means.
Did you read the topic at all? It is about Horizons players not being able to instance with Odyssey players even if doing non Odyssey content. Have fun defending from BGS attack on your faction cause you cant fight with the players as they are on Odyssey client and you are on a Horizons client.

It has nothing to do with free stuff...

Wait, so I want to make sure I have read this correctly...

1) People who are on the Horizons client and the Odyssey client will not instance with one another in any fashion (including in non-Odyssey content, like flying in supercruise).
2) We will not be able to instance with one another until the console launch later this year (if that is even going to launch on time).

If these two points are the case, then you guys at Frontier have reached levels of incompetence that I didn't even know was possible. You realize the implications this will have in an activity such as Powerplay, where we will have to have commanders in both clients to potentially stop enemy CMDRs, who are in open, from doing things that negatively effect the power?
Only sadists, newbies and masochist play in open anyway :-D

Screenshot_0025_small.jpg
Awesome News!

I think it's nice you are going to allow the Horizons players to eventually get the new planet tech. Me personally, I can't wait for Odyssey, as I will never go back to Horizons for any reason ...just no need or desire really. :cool:(y):alien:

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

Console Launch Onwards:

In line with the console launch, we plan to update Elite Dangerous on all platforms (PC/PlayStation/Xbox) to allow Odyssey and Horizons players to reunite and play together with other users on their respective platform.

All Horizons players will also receive the new graphical updates, including the new planetary tech, lighting, and organics, free of charge, but will not be able to get out on foot or enter Odyssey’s tenuous atmospheres.

If you have any questions please leave them in the thread down below, and we will answer them as quickly as we can!

o7

Is the reason why Horizon PC players aren't getting the new planetary tech and graphical updates when Odyssey launches on PC because the graphics and planetary tech may need to be downgraded after launch to work on console?

Thanks.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

After 19 May, if you as an Odyssey owner launch the Horizons version of the game, you (and everyone else playing Horizons) will see the original, pre-upgrade, version of planetary tech. Once Odyssey has launched on console, the Horizons version of the game will receive the graphical updates on all platforms, so it will look the same for everyone.

Between PC launch and console launch, you will not be able to instance with Horizons players if you are playing Odyssey. After console launch, you will be able to. Albeit, Horizons players will be limited to SRV travel on planet surfaces.
Thanks Bruce :)

Please can this be added to the opening post?

As I read it.

May 19th
-> PC players with Odyssey gain access to it and all updates and features.
-> PC players who own Horizons, will see no changes at this time.
-> PC Odyssey Players & PC Horizon players will be in separate 'instances'; if you want to play together then the Odyssey player must load Horizons from the launcher but will then not have odyssey features and updates.

Autumn TBC
-> Console players get Odyssey upgrades
-> Both Console & PC Horizons players will receive updates (planet tech, lighting etc) t
-> Odyssey & Horizon players will be able to play together in same instances at this point (still platform limited though)

BGS is still shared between all platforms & SKUs as is the case now.

Greetings Commanders,

We hope you enjoyed the recent alpha for the PC version of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey!

Thank you once again for your feedback and suggestions which will have a lasting impact for all future Commanders. This only marks the beginning for Odyssey. After the game launches on 19 May, we’ll continue tweaking and balancing according to your experiences, just as we have done in the past.

We know there are still a number of questions from the community, and today we’d like to give more information on the shared galaxy between Elite Dangerous: Odyssey and Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

From PC Launch:

All Elite Dangerous: Odyssey players will gain access to the new features, including planetary improvements, enhanced lighting, and textures. The differences will mean that Elite Dangerous: Horizons players cannot share a gameplay session with those playing Odyssey. However, Odyssey owners will be able to share a session with and play with those in Horizons by launching the game in Horizons mode – though if they do this, they will temporarily not have access to the new Odyssey features.

Console Launch Onwards:

In line with the console launch, we plan to update Elite Dangerous on all platforms (PC/PlayStation/Xbox) to allow Odyssey and Horizons players to reunite and play together with other users on their respective platform.

All Horizons players will also receive the new graphical updates, including the new planetary tech, lighting, and organics, free of charge, but will not be able to get out on foot or enter Odyssey’s tenuous atmospheres.

If you have any questions please leave them in the thread down below, and we will answer them as quickly as we can!

o7

After 19 May, if you as an Odyssey owner launch the Horizons version of the game, you (and everyone else playing Horizons) will see the original, pre-upgrade, version of planetary tech. Once Odyssey has launched on console, the Horizons version of the game will receive the graphical updates on all platforms, so it will look the same for everyone.

Between PC launch and console launch, you will not be able to instance with Horizons players if you are playing Odyssey. After console launch, you will be able to. Albeit, Horizons players will be limited to SRV travel on planet surfaces.
I'm less confused, but still think you could have written the 1st post clearer.

Did you read the topic at all? It is about Horizons players not being able to instance with Odyssey players even if doing non Odyssey content. Have fun defending from BGS attack on your faction cause you cant fight with the players as they are on Odyssey client and you are on a Horizons client.

It has nothing to do with free stuff...
If "you" are on Horizons and concerned about said BGS attacks, login to Odyssey.

It is a full release though I'll get to play it on the 19th and those that didn't buy it won't.

Are you ok?
You changed topics here. They promised that Odyssey players will be able to instance with Horizons players in non-odyssey content. Now if someone attacks your BGS and they have Odyssey but you dont you cant even defend yourself because you can't instance with them. Something that was promised to be on initial release that is so important is being delayed by 4-5 months...

Thank you, crystal clear! 🤷‍♂️

Is the reason why Horizon PC players aren't getting the new planetary tech and graphical updates when Odyssey launches on PC because the graphics and planetary tech may need to be downgraded after launch to work on console?

Thanks.

CMDR Justinian Octavius
Indeed this is the only thing I'm concerned about. It's clear that they need to keep the horizons specs the same as they are or they are in violation of certain rules. Hence they will spend the next 6 months optimising the heck out of it so come console release all odyssey tech that is accessible to horizons users (planets for example) will have the same resource usage as it did before. Let's hope this doesn't mean a downgrade in 6 months.

Top Bottom