Horizons / Odyssey Compatibility

This sounds like it's gonna become a major headache:

How is this going to work with the BGS? Odyssey both adds a ton of planetary settlements, but also removes some that were present in Horizons if the alpha is anything to go by. How do you plan on making both Horizons and Odyssey work with the same BGS? Or will Odyssey receive a separate instance of the galaxy temporary? If yes to the latter, how the hell are you going to manage merging 2 different states of the galaxy on console launch?!

So many questions...

Now I'm confused, do only Odyssey players get the improved planet view???
Yes: "All Elite Dangerous: Odyssey players will gain access to the new features, including planetary improvements, enhanced lighting, and textures. The differences will mean that Elite Dangerous: Horizons players cannot share a gameplay session with those playing Odyssey."

This is why Horizons and Odyssey players won't be able to play together, because they have different tech. Horizons will only be updated with the new tech when the console versions are released, so all clients will be reunited at that moment. Until then there will be two different Elites.

Sorry @Bruce G , the post is very confusing and easily mis-interrupted. Is there any way to make it clearer? It sounds like Horizon/Odyssey PC players will never interact with each other at all, even after Console launch. May be needs another heading

I am mystified how you can make such a vague post about such a vital issue to the player base and not expect an instant riot.
I recommend adding practical examples immediately before everyone freak out.

For clarity then, I understand that message as saying that from 19th May:
1. Horizons (PC & Console) CMDRs won't have all Odyssey new tech, like new planetary generation and lighting?
2. Odyssey (PC) CMDRs have the option of launching Horizons if they want?
3. Odyssey CMDRs will interact with Odyssey CMDRs; Horizons CMDRs will interact with Horizons CMDRs; no mixing?

While from Odyssey Console launch onwards, all CMDRs can then interact with each other, regardless of Horizons/Odyssey ownership, as they'll have access to the same planetary generation and lighting?

What happens with the PEGI rating?

Last edited:
If they were to send all PC users to full Odyssey tech now, that would mean no PC could link with the consoles until the console users get their update.

Which is how the game works. PC players cannot meet console players and XB / PS players cannot meet each others.
There is no link between platforms

There is no reason why the PC Horizons players don't get the updated client at launch.
It looks more likely a delayed release, like what happens with movies that get launched in cinemas first, then 6 months later come to dvd / blueray / streaming services
for revenue purposes...

So the way I read it is:

1) If Odyssey player, then you can share Horizons teaming up, but lose Odyssey features (i.e. no on foot stuff) whilst doing so
2) If Horizons player, you cannot share Odyssey features but you can share with Odyseey players with 1) being true

I'm not seeing anything about selecting which version you need to select from the launcher...

At the moment when I launch my Steam version in VR, Horizons is launched automatically by default. I should exit and enter wor Odyssey alpha specially. Will this default option in launcher be updated? So I run my game from, say, Oculus store and Odyssey is opened.

That's a shame. We were told that Horizons users on PC would receive the planetary tech updates when Odyssey launches. Why was the decision made to change that?
I'm guessing it's the performance issues we had in Alpha, I had a new 3060 gaming laptop and even that had to run on medium to get decent fps. They can surely optimise, but only so far and I'm guessing they can't meet the original requirements for Horizons so better not to kill existing players ability to play.

Will console players receive some of the graphic changes? It's written as if console players had to wait for those until release.

Bruce G

B
Sorry @Bruce G , the post is very confusing and easily mis-interrupted. Is there any way to make it clearer? It sounds like Horizon/Odyssey PC players will never interact with each other at all, even after Console launch. May be needs another heading

After console launch, Horizons and Odyssey PC players will be able to land on the same body sites, but Horizons players will be limited to Horizons features i.e. they won't be able to get out of their SRVs to play on-foot.

can people stop spamming what they think it says and just re-read the original post, in full, slowly from the top to the bottom and more carefully. thanks

The original post throws the most important info after the 'Console Launch' heading, but it wasn't clear whether it was after console launch or not.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
After console launch, Horizons and Odyssey PC players will be able to land on the same body sites, but Horizons players will be limited to Horizons features i.e. they won't be able to get out of their SRVs to play on-foot.
When that happens, will EDH users be able to see the new EDO settlements in non atmospheric planets then, participate in CZ while in SRV or ships etc? Will EDH and EDO players instance together also in those settlement areas?

Last edited:
IMPORTANT QUESTION REGARDING GEFORCE NOW TO FRONTIER:
Will Odyssey be downloadable and playable on GeForce Now on May 19th? Thank you.

Top Bottom