Houston Zoo

HZ_Logo_3.9.18-1-620x252.jpg

Welcome to the houston zoo recreation everyone! In anticipation for more south american animals to be added to the game and the the personal desire to build a good quality warm climate north american zoo, let's travel to the state of Texas and see what the houston zoo has to offer. An ambitious masterplan with many modern developments built and possibly still to happen brings us a zoo with a wide range of animals with key focus on south america, africa and native texas animals. Quite the change from my usual set of recreations where cold animals are almost always the key theme with large indoor buildings needing to house these animals.

For anyone concerned with the developments of the calgary zoo, I will be building these zoos alongside each other. The calgary zoo has proven to be a long term project where the earliest date of completion is summer 2025 almost all focusing on cold weather animals with large expansive indoor buildings. I really don't want to wait until like 2026 to build a south american animal area so this is where the Houston zoo comes in, each zoo will have its own slot for example one week or 2 is focused on calgary zoo then the next week or 2 is for houston. Providing me and everyone interested in my recreations 2 flavors - a cold climate zoo and a warm climate zoo. This likely will mean each project will take longer but the calgary zoo is noway near completion, as of writing this, it is on episode 15 out of roughly 85!

Simple zoo overview:
  • Zoo Location - Houston, Texas, USA
  • Zoo setting - Urban
  • Zoo Size - 55 acres (222,000m2)
  • Number of habitats - 58
  • Animal Focus - South America, Africa, Native Animals
  • Foliage type - Subtropical (Temperate + Tropical mix)

The zoo has 10 distinct zones throughout the zoo:
  • Carruth Natural Encounters
    • Indoor small habitat building with fish, otters, sloths and other tropical animals. Outside connected to the building is a meerkat habitat.
    • Likely the inside is not going to be built due to the small habitat sizes not going work with the game but the exterior and meerkat habitat will.
  • Galapagos Islands
    • The first ever galapagos themed zoo area in the world (so the internet tells me) with representative species showcasing the diversity of the volcanic islands. Animals like california sea lion and humboldt penguin represent their native galapagos species in regard to conservation efforts of the real animal. The only true galapagos animal found here is the giant tortoise.
    • Unique features - Iguana habitat, Underwater tunnel for sea lions, deep sea ocean aquarium
Sea lion habitat in the galapagos islands, we can see the underwater tunnel to the right where guests will get great views of the underwater portion of the habitat. The heavy abundance of buildings at the back of the zoo provides all the urban atmosphere we need.
DJI_0172-1080x720.jpg

The deep sea aquarium will feature lots of colorful fish, sea turtles, sharks, rays and large detailed coral reef scenery.
one-ocean-now-open-blog-1080x720.jpg

• Reptiles & Elephants
    • Large habitat for multiple asian elephants with 3 distinct areas of their habitat linked by an indoor shelter building. This is a great elephant habitat but it is not naturalistic.
    • Also found is a large reptile exhibit building with many different species of reptiles and amphibians.
The elephants have access to 2 large swimming pools in this habitat with great views from the guest path into the habitat.
Elephant-Bull-Yard-0005-0031-1080x720.jpg

• Birds of the World
    • Pending completion somepoint in 2024, this area features 3 aviaries. A south american aviary features chilean flamingos, ducks and maybe some others.
    • An african aviary has grey crowned crane, ibis, vultures, while a north american aviary features small garden birds.
    • Likely both south american and african aviaries can become habitats not the north american since we don't have small birds ingame.
    • There is also a beer garden beside the south american aviary called the flamingo terrace.
  • Wortham World of primates
    • Jungle loop area full of different kinds of primates. Orangutans, gibbons, debrazza monkey, patas monkey, lemurs, howler monkeys and tamarins can all be found here.
    • A portion of the loop has an elevated boardwalk for a unique experience through the jungle trail.
  • Texas Wetlands
    • Native animals themed in a texas wetland area. American alligators, whooping cranes and bald eagles can be found in this modern area.
    • A modern cafe called the cypress circle cafe is situated here and is the main zoo cafe since this is the heart of the zoo.
Paths, tiling patterns, the circle shape of the cafe will all prove to be a challenge never mind creating the interior of the cafe.
61258ec79708f67d1e7bd93b_CypressCircle-IMG-02_1-1920x1280.jpeg

Lush wetlands will be the theme around the texas wetlands, natural barriers like these sticks stop the alligators swimming in the entire wetlands area. The habitat featured below is actually the bald eagle habitat where non-flying bald eagles live.
texas_wetlands_aerial-0010-0029_960x720.jpg

• South America's Pantanal
    • Large south american area featuring all the south american animals one could need. There are 2 aviaries for south america here - one walkthrough savanna aviary with ducks and small birds, and another non walkthrough wetlands aviary which will be a habitat featuring roseate spoonbills, wood stork and ducks.
    • The largest habitat here is the grasslands which is a mixed species habiat with - capybara, southern screamer, greater rhea, giant anteater, bairds tapirs and coscoroba swan.
    • Other habitats include Jaguar, Blue thorated macaw aviary, Giant otter, black howler monkey.

A view into the naturalistic pantanal grassland habitat where rhea, tapir, swan and screamer can be seen.
Pantanal-1280x720.jpg

• Children's Zoo
    • There are 3 portions of the childrens zoo - Texas, Desert, Domestic
    • Native texas animals like river otters, domestic turkey, white tailed deer and pelicans can be found in the childrens zoo. A forest themed boardwalk explores this area of the childrens zoo.
    • The desert area has a bat cave, banded mongoose, and desert insect exhibits
    • The domestic area has simple domestic yards with zebu, llama, kunekune pig and domestic goats.
  • African Forest
    • Large african habitats can be seen in the north of the zoo, a african forest trail gives us past 4 large habitats for savanna animals and primates
    • The savanna part of the trail features masai giraffe and ostrich in one habitat with a giraffe feeding platform, and southern white rhino is the second part of the savanna portion.
    • The primate forest trail features a chimpanzee habitat, and a mixed gorilla and red river hog habitat
The gorilla habitat features an impressive faux fallen log scenery as part of the large habitat
gorilla-exhibit-at-the-houston-zoo-march-2015-mabry-campbell-15.jpg

• Felines, hoofed mammals & more
    • The last part of the zoo is basically a mix of older habitats. As the name suggests it is mainly a mix of cat habitats and hoofed mammals.
    • On the left portion of this area there is a row of zebra, spurred tortoise, bongo, blue duiker, okapi habitats. Across from them is a habitat for ankole cattle.
    • An african corner features african lion, african wild dog and cheetah
    • A bear grotto features black bear and komodo dragon funnily enough (not together obviously!)
    • A row of small 'cats' habitats for clouded leopard, fossa, and ocelot
    • The bigger cats area for cougar, malayan tiger and vultures (old jaguar habitat)

One of the older style bear grotto habitats, thankfully at least these are more spacious than the likes of the san diego bear grottos.
Houston_Zoo_128.jpg

Example of one of african ungulate yard habitats.
IMG_62072.JPG

Oh did I forget to mention basically all signs for the zoo especially animal info signs are both english and spanish? I can't speak a word of spanish so that will be fun 😂 I can't guarantee a timeframe of update posts as the Calgary Zoo is still the priority to build for currently to get the first zoo file on the workshop, complex building starts straight away in the houston zoo so I will show update posts when I get the chance to build for this zoo.

Zoo Entrance - Parking lot

The parking lot at the entrance of the zoo is never really an exciting part of the zoo to build for, often for me it is just a large path grid with hundreds of parking space lines placed to satisfy the need for the parking lot, a very much needed addition to a zoo recreation. To create the entrance plaza into the zoo, the natural flow from the parking lot into the plaza is needed for the overall atmosphere otherwise the entrance of the zoo just feels off like any other planet zoo build.

This is the first time i've put a decent amount of thought into building a parking lot using entirely scenery pieces forgetting about the actual paths until i need them likely in the entrance plaza area. This marks a change from every zoo I have build before where I would use paths to make the large area, often suffering from the huge traverse area caluculations of such a large path area, here lots of plaster floor pieces (around 700!) have been used to create a single portion of the houston zoo parking lots, this is the closest one to the zoo entrance, called parking lot G.

A overhead view of the parking lot shows a rounded rectangle like shape for this parking lot, the entrance plaza will be located to the right.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.18 - 12.23.06.17.png

Full atention to detail was the goal of this parking lot. Realistic sized spaces, guest crossings, disabled spaces, weathered road surfaces and custom streetlights were all built to bring my most detailed parking lot yet and probably the limit of what planet zoo allows me to do to represent a real parking lot.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.18 - 12.19.44.38.png

The start of the entrance plaza features curved path slabs (plaster flooring + indonesian wood planks), an angled brick kerb and these older style looking streetlights.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.18 - 12.22.39.69.png

Weathered road markings is the main achievement of this parking lot build, it is pretty difficult to mimic realistic wear and tear of road surfaces with the available decals. These were the damaged concrete decals colored to the shade of the plaster pieces which worked great. Using google streetview for the reference on damage to the road surface, some parts do not have any but some do have some major surface damage such as corners where water seems to gather during storms.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.18 - 12.20.30.78.png

Darker shades of the decals also help to represent deeper road damage, this corner seems to be the worst of them all
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.18 - 12.21.54.31.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.18 - 12.21.34.28.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.18 - 12.21.00.19.png

Zoo Entrance - Entrance Plaza

Continuing the plaza paths paths around the parking lot leads us to the entrance plaza where we can find the entrance to the zoo. Lots of planters, large trees and zoo entrance signs are spread around this plaza. While not fully completed until the gift shop building is complete, we can take a tour around what we can see at the houston zoo entrance plaza.

An overhead view of the entrance plaza shows various elements of the plaza. There are the plaza slab paths, the red brick paths, large planters, a classic tower segment of gift shop building, the modern entrance and this large circular building.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.22 - 18.10.16.75.png

The entrance gate is a modern element to what seems a classic themed entrance as the gift shop building dates back to the opening of the zoo roughly 100 years ago. The entrance name and logo have been changed in recent years as the old entrance was basically just "zoo entrance" which wasn't really an appealing zoo entrance to what is one of the most visited zoos in the country.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.22 - 18.10.33.97.png

As mentioned in the zoo introduction, the vast majority of signs in the zoo will be in english and spanish. Having 0 understanding of the spanish language and knowing the awful abilities of google translate, chatgpt ai seems to be a very competent language translator as most translations match exactly to what the zoo writes on their signs. The example below is a sign telling guests there are 0 ticket booths at the zoo and all tickets must be purchased online on the zoo website.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.22 - 18.10.50.68.png

A front facing view of the zoo entrance clearly shows the modern materials compared to the old classic style gift shop section. The metal border material is made of metal beams, girders and primitive rectangles (instead of the australian corrugated metal walls). While it is much more piece heavy, it is true to the zoo material.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.22 - 18.11.44.48.png

4 zoo entrance gates are present in this zoo map, they are all hidden with this rectangle blocks with the zoo logo printed on them. Overhead tv screens tell guests which entrance lanes are open and who can line up where. In this case lane 1 is closed, lane 2 &3 are open to all guests and members, and lane 4 is members only. Each of the gates also have a computer for zoo staff to use to process guest tickets.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.22 - 18.12.37.27.png

Here is what the zoo entrance looks like from inside the zoo, the long sheltered lineups for the entrance must help during those hot texas summers. Lots of cooling fans are also present on the roof to help with the heat here. On the right of the entrance shelter, a dedicated zoo exit can be found.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.22 - 18.13.01.48.png

The largest part of the entrance is this large circular building... which serves no purpose at all. This large 1980's era building used to hold a decent sized aquarium with lots of small fish tanks and similar aquarium animals, nowadays the Kipp Aquarium is permanentely closed and has been replaced by the aquarium in the galapagos islands which is a hundred times better. We will see how good when I reach that area. The building in the zoo sits at around 3500 pieces mainly with the wooden slat roof pieces to create a realistic looking circular building which is really difficult to do ingame with the flat pieces we have. Also there is a 15 metre / 50 foot tall american flag because why not i guess.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.21 - 22.23.09.70.png

Another view of the Kipp Aquarium building from above.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.22 - 18.14.17.39.png

Zoo Entrance - Parking lot

The parking lot at the entrance of the zoo is never really an exciting part of the zoo to build for, often for me it is just a large path grid with hundreds of parking space lines placed to satisfy the need for the parking lot, a very much needed addition to a zoo recreation. To create the entrance plaza into the zoo, the natural flow from the parking lot into the plaza is needed for the overall atmosphere otherwise the entrance of the zoo just feels off like any other planet zoo build.

This is the first time i've put a decent amount of thought into building a parking lot using entirely scenery pieces forgetting about the actual paths until i need them likely in the entrance plaza area. This marks a change from every zoo I have build before where I would use paths to make the large area, often suffering from the huge traverse area caluculations of such a large path area, here lots of plaster floor pieces (around 700!) have been used to create a single portion of the houston zoo parking lots, this is the closest one to the zoo entrance, called parking lot G.

A overhead view of the parking lot shows a rounded rectangle like shape for this parking lot, the entrance plaza will be located to the right.
View attachment 383974

Full atention to detail was the goal of this parking lot. Realistic sized spaces, guest crossings, disabled spaces, weathered road surfaces and custom streetlights were all built to bring my most detailed parking lot yet and probably the limit of what planet zoo allows me to do to represent a real parking lot.
View attachment 383975

The start of the entrance plaza features curved path slabs (plaster flooring + indonesian wood planks), an angled brick kerb and these older style looking streetlights.
View attachment 383976

Weathered road markings is the main achievement of this parking lot build, it is pretty difficult to mimic realistic wear and tear of road surfaces with the available decals. These were the damaged concrete decals colored to the shade of the plaster pieces which worked great. Using google streetview for the reference on damage to the road surface, some parts do not have any but some do have some major surface damage such as corners where water seems to gather during storms.
View attachment 383977

Darker shades of the decals also help to represent deeper road damage, this corner seems to be the worst of them all
View attachment 383978
View attachment 383979
View attachment 383980
Man we really need some more car props

I really wish the final update has at least some form of a new vehicle, I hate just placing hundreds of the exact same jeep for the entire parking. Even I considered how many pieces would 250 custom cars come to and it came to around 90,000 pieces!
Yeah even 2 different car models being fully flexicolor would be enough imo. And since one really only looks at parkinglots from a distance having something, thats not the weird safari jeep that makes no sense in a parking lot copy pasted around 100 times, would already do wonders.

Zoo Entrance - Gift Shop Exterior

There are 2 core buildings that make up the entrance at the Houston zoo, the Kipp Aquarium which we have already seen and the gift shop building. The gift shop building is a historic brick building that has been modernised in recent years but retained the classic exterior of the building. There will be two posts about the gift shop building as it is a very complex build being my most complicated building utilising the use of the classic brick walls and an entirely custom built angled roof.

Let's start off with an above view of the entrance, the gift shop is attached to the left side of the entrance connecting to the previously built tower section. That same tower was then duplicated to make the second one since it was such a pain to build. The roof as we can clearly see is an angled roof with 5 segments which all had to be manually built with each segment being a different angle.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.43.27.43.png

The roof was built using the standard custom roof method of girder beams and primitive blocks. The manually placed girder beams allows for simple enough (in theory anyway) placement of the roof segments. Wall trim decorative pieces are used to connect the segments and removes any ugly side holes from view.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.42.59.75.png

Getting a little too comfortable with the decals for realism purposes, the air conditioning portion of the roof is much more detailed than what I normally do. Electricity boxes, air conditioning pipes connecting to the air conditioning/hvac units and lots of grunge details to make it have a well used look.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.42.44.99.png

Getting off the roof now, here is the view of the gift shop from the entrance plaza. The tower finally doesn't look totally out of place next to the modern entrance.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.39.47.37.png

A closer look here shows various features of the gift shop building. Most notably is the wall planter which adds some nice variation to the brick walls, metal beams and black colored carpets (the texture is actually quite good for this funnily enough) make up the wall planter and hedges and variegated ivy are the featured wall foliage. Some palm trees and garden plants decorate the side of the building here.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.40.09.39.png

Inside the zoo, the gift shop towers show off all their glory standing tall against the bland plaza. A large zoo store sign on the brick tower and the modern entrances into the shop add a nice contrast.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.41.16.39.png

There are also some small custom planter pots that decorate the gift shop entrances.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.41.38.25.png

A photos shop is also attached to the gift shop exterior, due to the plaza paths, the photo shop won't be a information booth like I usually try to do. Instead the stroller booth which we will see in the future will have the information booth instead. The photos inside this shop are actually the souvenir puzzle boxes flattened against the display stand.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.24 - 18.41.52.44.png

The roof was built using the standard custom roof method of girder beams and primitive blocks. The manually placed girder beams allows for simple enough (in theory anyway) placement of the roof segments. Wall trim decorative pieces are used to connect the segments and removes any ugly side holes from view.
View attachment 384478

Getting a little too comfortable with the decals for realism purposes, the air conditioning portion of the roof is much more detailed than what I normally do. Electricity boxes, air conditioning pipes connecting to the air conditioning/hvac units and lots of grunge details to make it have a well used look.
View attachment 384479
I love how that roof stuff turned out, so detailed 👌

This is looking amazing!

Also the Houston zoo enclosures are always an inspiration for my own builds. I've made a similar SA wetlands exhibit for capybara and baird's tapir. Not a replica since it is not my thing but it was the main referente for it. I can't wait to see the Pantanal section recreated in your project.

The entrance is looking fantastic.

This is looking amazing!

Also the Houston zoo enclosures are always an inspiration for my own builds. I've made a similar SA wetlands exhibit for capybara and baird's tapir. Not a replica since it is not my thing but it was the main referente for it. I can't wait to see the Pantanal section recreated in your project.

The entrance is looking fantastic.
The Pantanal area looks great fun to build, I'll be pushing on the right side of the zoo first after the entrance so we can all see the great looking South American habitats sooner rather than later. The wetland/grassland habitat in real life has something like 6 animals with rhea, anteaters, capybara and tapir all together for an interesting mixed habitat.

Zoo Entrance - Gift Shop Interior

While the exterior of the gift shop is classic themed with all the brick and breeze block walls, the interior of the gift shop has a clean modern aesthetic to it. This is largely due to a new renovation of the interior of the gift shop in the last few years to bring the standard of the gift shop to match the new zoo entrance sign. With an entirely custom built modern gift shop interior comes with lots of pieces as everyone from the floor tiles, display shelves to the gift items are all custom built which can be a issue for performance issues.

The floor tiles as anyone who saw the 30,000 piece floor problem on the what did you do today in pz thread was only the start of the daunting list of piece heavy items. Thankfully though, the floor tiles had their pattern removed which brought the piece count to 1,600 - a much better number than 30,000 but still but the piece heavy floor I have ever built. Let's start by taking a look at the overall interior.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.27 - 22.09.17.38.png

The interior has many aspects to it that is much different than my normal gift shop builds, taking a lesson from the calgary zoo gift shop, I opted to custom build everything and head to the workshop for the best range of gift shop display items from plushies, toy boxes, books, animal magazines and a few more. This allows each gift display to be unique and feel very realistic like a real gift shop compared to the very limited selection of souvenir gifts that came with the souvenir shops. We can see the custom floor tiles that is built of plaster squares and darker gray wooden slats between them. There is something like 500 of these plaster squares in the gift shop.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.27 - 22.18.39.98.png

Inside those tower sections of the gift shop exterior, the lower half of them is part of the gift shop with these circular areas with some gift displays. The layering of the white walls and working with the windows was a difficult at first to figure out the correct angle of the placed blocks. Custom placed gifts like the alligator and giraffe plushies and texas themed cups work quite well with the ingame items like the tshirts, mugs and hats.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.27 - 22.18.26.68.png

In the middle of the shop we will find the gift shop counter, the older style counters are still good to work with these custom builds, I refuse to use the souvenir shops as they are extremely limiting to those who can build realistic shops. A large custom media image of a houston zoo branded image of a jaguar works as a great background to the counter area. Surrounding the image is a selection of plushies - penguin, red panda, jaguar, chimpanzee, white tiger, and alligator.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.27 - 22.18.58.14.png

Talking about plushies, the right side shelves are full of plushies. There are 30+ species of plushies used in the shop gathered from multiple workshop blueprints that cover almost every single animal ingame, a much needed addition to the game. Window/wall grill pieces paired with the block primitive blocks allows for a low piece count gift shop shelve while paired with led lights and wooden slats for the shelving. Primitive blocks then form the outer shelve material and indonesian wood and brackets for the drawers at the bottom.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.27 - 22.20.36.56.png

Around the gift shop there are also these table displays with tshirt racks beside them. Add some plushies and a stack of tshirts and an effective way to break up the large space in the gift shop. The plushies featured on this display are prairie dogs, generally the plushies are animals featured in the zoo but animals like the prairie dogs and wolves (on the shelf to the right) to my knowledge are not.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.02.27 - 22.20.29.35.png

Real Zoo Overview - Carruth Natural Encounters

Let's take a look at the first animal habitat overview for the houston zoo now that the zoo entrance is complete. While I mentioned in the first general overview post about the natural encounters building being too difficult, I have looked into the building and now decided to build it anyway as it is still a core part of the zoo being 1 of 3 indoor animal buildings of the zoo and easily the most impressive. The Carruth Natural Encounters is an indoor small animal building focusing on a variety of different environments allowing zoo guests to 'travel around the world' as they walk through this building.

Like what I did for the wild canada area in the calgary zoo, a map made by me both helps me when building and showing it to everyone what the layout actually looks like in an easy to read format.
Natural Encounters.png

Looking at the map, 7 different zones can be discovered:
  • Green - Rainforest Canopy
  • Yellow - Entry Foyer
  • Purple - River's Edge
  • Light Blue - Discovery River
  • Tan - Drylands
  • Dark Blue - Coral Reef
  • Orange - Meerkat habitat
  • Other Map keys - dark green is foliage areas, grey is paths, light brown is indoor backstage areas, and white is the building walls. Doors and restrooms are also noted on this map
Entry Foyer

Animals featured:
  • Red tailed Catfish, Banded Archerfish
As expected this is the entrance to the natural encounters building. A glass entrance room leads into the entry foyer where we can find a single decent sized fish tank. This fish tank which features a mix of red tailed catfish and banded archerfish is surrounded by tropical themed foliage, rocks and a small waterfall. All aquarium species will be static models sourced from the workshop for obvious reasons.

The entrance to the natural encounters building, on the left there is an outdoor habitat for the rainforest animals and on the right is the meerkat habitat.
T3zjd1.jpg

Inside the building, the entry foyer showcases the fish tank with its tropical foliage with faux rocks, faux trees and a small waterfall.
UxQtdV.jpg

Rainforest Canopy

Animals featured:
  • White Faced Saki Monkey, Golden Headed Lion Tamarin, Hoffmann's Two Toed Sloth, Brazilian Porcupine

The most impressive habitat of the natural encounters building is surely the rainforest canopy. While the habitat is split into 2 in real life with the porcupine on its own in a small exhibit like box, the recreation will just through all these animals together. Basically this is a modded animal habitat with only the capuchin monkeys ingame suitable to be placed in the unmodded map.

The canopy habitat is spread across an outdoor and an indoor habitat with the outdoor habitat being a simple metal and mesh cage with lots of dense tropical foliage. Honestly nothing special outside but it does allow the animals to explore an outdoor area when the weather is good.
gJtGxe.jpg

The indoor portion of the rainforest habitat is much more lively, a tropical rainforest themed habitat with a wooden bridge in the middle. The bridge itself is not a path for guests but scenery inside the habitat so thats a cool feature than the average rainforest habitat. Lots of vines, trees and branches will allow for plenty of climbing by all the animals inside the habitat. There is also a skylight on the roof which is where the light is coming from.
houstonzoo016.jpg

River's Edge:

Animals Featured:
  • Asian Small Clawed Otter
River's edge is a river themed habitat for asian otters with water and a good amount of land around the water for the otters to play around on. This habitat will be the most difficult to build for since the land for the otters is above the guest path and working inside a building with that terrain change is a challenge to work with.

The theme of faux rocks, trees and the tropical background continues with this habitat. With a divider in the habitat, we can get a view into the water area on the left and the river bed area on the right. The habitat isn't the biggest there is but for an indoor otter habitat it is a good size which should work well enough with the game hitboxes.
HoustonZoo018.jpg

Discovery River

Animals Featured
  • Black pacu
  • Red Bellied Piranha
  • Freshwater Rays
  • Banded Archerfish
  • Electric Eel
A long straight portion next to the otter habitat is the discovery river which doesn't feature any working habitats but a simple aquarium tank area. Black pacu and piranha get 2 good sized tanks which the pacu is sort of connected to the otter habitat but the otters will not have access to the tank. The remaining tanks are definitely on the smaller side, 3 small tanks with freshwater rays, electric eel, and archerfish have open topped tanks in a small pier themed area.

HoustonZoo020.jpg

Drylands

Animals Featured:
  • Nine Banded Armadillo
The drylands habitat is a desert/arid themed habitat which is similar in size to the otter habitat but feels much larger since smaller animals are featured. The animal mix of this habitat has changed multiple times over the years featuring animals like - indian star tortoise, leopard tortoise, ground squirrels, vulterine guineafowl, three banded armadillos, and arid nesting birds. Currently in the real zoo, small birds are present like the superb starling. For the recreation, I am choosing to feature just the nine banded armadillos so the habitat won't feel too crowded.

An example of when the vulterine guineafowl were present in the drylands habitat. Feels far too small for multiple guineafowl but a small animal like armadillo should work out much better.
HoustonZoo025.jpg

Coral Reef

Animals Featured:
  • Assorted Tropical reef fish like clownfish, tang, unicornfish etc
At the end of the natural encounters a large coral reef tank with an assorted collection of usual tropical reef fish can be found. There is also a moon jellyfish tank here aswell but since those are see-through, none of those are featured in the workshop and wont look great if I do them myself. Simply the jellyfish tank can be omitted.

rvlVj6.jpg

Meerkats

Animals featured:
  • Meerkat (who would of guessed!)
Outside the natural encounters building is a fairly large (for real zoo standards) outdoor meerkat habitat with multiple viewing areas and lots of rock work around the habitat. For habitat design standards, this is a very good meerkat habitat which beats all of the meerkat habitats I have recreated over the years where zoos like the woodland park zoo get the cone of shame for awful meerkat habitats.

One of the multiple viewing areas for the meerkat habitat which is a long habitat, basically the entire width of the natural encounters building. Tall foliage and rockwork basically blocks view of the natural encounters building.
Houston_Zoo_057.jpg

Real Zoo Overview - Carruth Natural Encounters

Let's take a look at the first animal habitat overview for the houston zoo now that the zoo entrance is complete. While I mentioned in the first general overview post about the natural encounters building being too difficult, I have looked into the building and now decided to build it anyway as it is still a core part of the zoo being 1 of 3 indoor animal buildings of the zoo and easily the most impressive. The Carruth Natural Encounters is an indoor small animal building focusing on a variety of different environments allowing zoo guests to 'travel around the world' as they walk through this building.

Like what I did for the wild canada area in the calgary zoo, a map made by me both helps me when building and showing it to everyone what the layout actually looks like in an easy to read format.
View attachment 385040

Looking at the map, 7 different zones can be discovered:
  • Green - Rainforest Canopy
  • Yellow - Entry Foyer
  • Purple - River's Edge
  • Light Blue - Discovery River
  • Tan - Drylands
  • Dark Blue - Coral Reef
  • Orange - Meerkat habitat
  • Other Map keys - dark green is foliage areas, grey is paths, light brown is indoor backstage areas, and white is the building walls. Doors and restrooms are also noted on this map
Entry Foyer

Animals featured:
  • Red tailed Catfish, Banded Archerfish
As expected this is the entrance to the natural encounters building. A glass entrance room leads into the entry foyer where we can find a single decent sized fish tank. This fish tank which features a mix of red tailed catfish and banded archerfish is surrounded by tropical themed foliage, rocks and a small waterfall. All aquarium species will be static models sourced from the workshop for obvious reasons.

The entrance to the natural encounters building, on the left there is an outdoor habitat for the rainforest animals and on the right is the meerkat habitat.
View attachment 385044

Inside the building, the entry foyer showcases the fish tank with its tropical foliage with faux rocks, faux trees and a small waterfall.
View attachment 385045

Rainforest Canopy

Animals featured:
  • White Faced Saki Monkey, Golden Headed Lion Tamarin, Hoffmann's Two Toed Sloth, Brazilian Porcupine

The most impressive habitat of the natural encounters building is surely the rainforest canopy. While the habitat is split into 2 in real life with the porcupine on its own in a small exhibit like box, the recreation will just through all these animals together. Basically this is a modded animal habitat with only the capuchin monkeys ingame suitable to be placed in the unmodded map.

The canopy habitat is spread across an outdoor and an indoor habitat with the outdoor habitat being a simple metal and mesh cage with lots of dense tropical foliage. Honestly nothing special outside but it does allow the animals to explore an outdoor area when the weather is good.
View attachment 385046

The indoor portion of the rainforest habitat is much more lively, a tropical rainforest themed habitat with a wooden bridge in the middle. The bridge itself is not a path for guests but scenery inside the habitat so thats a cool feature than the average rainforest habitat. Lots of vines, trees and branches will allow for plenty of climbing by all the animals inside the habitat. There is also a skylight on the roof which is where the light is coming from.
View attachment 385047

River's Edge:

Animals Featured:
  • Asian Small Clawed Otter
River's edge is a river themed habitat for asian otters with water and a good amount of land around the water for the otters to play around on. This habitat will be the most difficult to build for since the land for the otters is above the guest path and working inside a building with that terrain change is a challenge to work with.

The theme of faux rocks, trees and the tropical background continues with this habitat. With a divider in the habitat, we can get a view into the water area on the left and the river bed area on the right. The habitat isn't the biggest there is but for an indoor otter habitat it is a good size which should work well enough with the game hitboxes.
View attachment 385048

Discovery River

Animals Featured
  • Black pacu
  • Red Bellied Piranha
  • Freshwater Rays
  • Banded Archerfish
  • Electric Eel
A long straight portion next to the otter habitat is the discovery river which doesn't feature any working habitats but a simple aquarium tank area. Black pacu and piranha get 2 good sized tanks which the pacu is sort of connected to the otter habitat but the otters will not have access to the tank. The remaining tanks are definitely on the smaller side, 3 small tanks with freshwater rays, electric eel, and archerfish have open topped tanks in a small pier themed area.

View attachment 385050

Drylands

Animals Featured:
  • Nine Banded Armadillo
The drylands habitat is a desert/arid themed habitat which is similar in size to the otter habitat but feels much larger since smaller animals are featured. The animal mix of this habitat has changed multiple times over the years featuring animals like - indian star tortoise, leopard tortoise, ground squirrels, vulterine guineafowl, three banded armadillos, and arid nesting birds. Currently in the real zoo, small birds are present like the superb starling. For the recreation, I am choosing to feature just the nine banded armadillos so the habitat won't feel too crowded.

An example of when the vulterine guineafowl were present in the drylands habitat. Feels far too small for multiple guineafowl but a small animal like armadillo should work out much better.
View attachment 385051

Coral Reef

Animals Featured:
  • Assorted Tropical reef fish like clownfish, tang, unicornfish etc
At the end of the natural encounters a large coral reef tank with an assorted collection of usual tropical reef fish can be found. There is also a moon jellyfish tank here aswell but since those are see-through, none of those are featured in the workshop and wont look great if I do them myself. Simply the jellyfish tank can be omitted.

View attachment 385052

Meerkats

Animals featured:
  • Meerkat (who would of guessed!)
Outside the natural encounters building is a fairly large (for real zoo standards) outdoor meerkat habitat with multiple viewing areas and lots of rock work around the habitat. For habitat design standards, this is a very good meerkat habitat which beats all of the meerkat habitats I have recreated over the years where zoos like the woodland park zoo get the cone of shame for awful meerkat habitats.

One of the multiple viewing areas for the meerkat habitat which is a long habitat, basically the entire width of the natural encounters building. Tall foliage and rockwork basically blocks view of the natural encounters building.
View attachment 385053
Id say just use the faux rocks and mulch pieces for the elevated ground for the otters, sounds much easier then actually having elevated terrain next to the path, even if very possible

Natural Encounters - Exterior Building

The natural encounters building is pretty big, much bigger than expected when I was making my map of the animal habitats inside. A big building of course allows plenty of room inside to build all those habitats I talked about. The building itself is kind of split into 2 sections, the lower section contains the entrance restrooms and staff facilities and the upper section contains the actual animal habitats and guest viewing areas. Guests will enter and exit through the upper building portion on opposite ends of the building.

The natural encounters building is located to the left of the gift shop building and creates the first of 2 main paths leading into the zoo. We can clearly see the lower and upper portions of the building where the upper section has skylights for natural light to give an idea where animal habitats may be.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.01 - 22.04.40.46.png

From the entrance plaza, the building doesn't look that impressive. Just a standard large brick building with nothing really notable. The restrooms for the entrance plaza can be seen on the left.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.01 - 22.17.56.49.png

The other side of the restrooms area also has branded coca cola vending machines for that extra touch of realism.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.01 - 22.18.22.05.png

Continuing along the lower part of the building leads us to the staff access area where my backstage blueprints are working great. Transformers, an electric box and a small generator along with a ladder for rooftop access make up this area.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.01 - 22.18.36.39.png

The ladder will bring staff onto the expansive and busy rooftop of the natural encoutners building. Lots of air conditioning, vents and pipe connections are placed all over the rooftop.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.01 - 22.18.57.36.png

The upper roof segment has less air conditioning units and pipes but large skylights in the main habitat area. The otters, rainforest canopy habitats and the entrance room will have skylights.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.01 - 22.19.44.21.png

At the corner of the larger section, a modern entrance with a slanted roof and animal statues greets guests into the natural encounters building. The gift shop doors work really well bringing that much needed realism to building entrances. While there is no pangolin as the statue implies, it is a stand-in for the brazilian porcupine which is kind of similar. There would be a meerkat statue if the game statue wasn't massive.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.01 - 22.20.32.64.png

Natural Encounters - Meerkat Habitat

Continuing work on the exterior part of the Natural encounters building leads to the first habitat of the houston zoo. A good sized rocky habitat for meerkats can be found around the corner from the main entrance to the building. Lots of custom rocks, faux logs and an overall rocky desert/grassland feel to the habitat completes this edge of the encounters building area.

I will mention that the majority of the custom rocks, made of twilght rock pieces, is not my mine but Cesar Creates well known blueprint:

Usually I don't use custom rock walls due to the high piece count but I wanted to do something a little different than normal as the meerkat habitat area isn't that big to be a burden on performance. Cesar's rock walls are also paired with the occasional aquatic faux rock to break up the material types in order to have a unique rock wall.

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.03.42.17.png

There are 4 viewing areas around the meerkat habitat allowing for near guaranteed viewing of the meerkats as this is a long but narrow habitat so the meerkats often travel up and down to interact with enrichment and burrows. The barriers for this habitat are some simple modern glass panels with a metal rod guest barrier.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.03.19.22.png

The main viewing areas for the habitat feature these wooden shelters for some shade, the path does split in 2 which the main viewing area path and a smaller path behind. This is likely to help break up crowds travelling to and from the education center which will be built after the natural encounters is complete.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.05.00.97.png

The viewing area gives a great view into the habitat with the rock wall covering the entire length of the habitat. Grassland plants which include a sunken olive tree cover the brick wall of the encounters building. Several enrichment logs, broken branches and rocky mounds make this a lively habitat than the normal meerkat habitat I would normally build. The terrain paint has also seen a change with coarse sand paint mixed with a touch of dark dirt paint to get the best textures possible.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.11.37.17.png

The other viewing area on the length ways part of the habitat includes a faux log and a large flat rock which the meerkats often visit. The rock also helps a break in the meerkat burrows which would otherwise be everywhere if the rocks were not present.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.12.45.61.png

The last viewing area is this glass panel, keepers will often drop the food near this viewing area compared to others. The keeper access gate is just to the right of this glass which prevents the guests from seeing a too obvious entrance.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.13.31.17.png

A overview picture of the meerkat habitat helps show the scale compared to the expansive encounters building.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.19.05.63.png

And also a meerkat level view inside of the habitat.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.04.03 - 16.17.05.62.png

Top Bottom