how does start citizen stack up to elite?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've been watching it for awhile and although tempting to drop a lot of $$ on a bigger ship, it's really pointless and imo will probably detract from the experience.

I dunno, it's tempting to avoid the ship progression, but at the same time a part of me wants to go through that. All the ships that you can get from backing will be available in game (with the exception of maybe a specific paint job), so we'll see.

we'll see won't we.

I jumped into ED quickly and i can jump out just as quickly. It's the most stunning space sim I've played but I'm not going to be loyal to a game that's inferior to another game that is basically its direct competition. So we'll see how SC is in 2016 and how much more has been added to ED by then.

ofc u can play and enjoy both ;D

Well both games are very different..elite and citizen have only space concept In common. The atmosphere and aura of elite is unique and is going to held its ground perfectly.

I backed both too but they are very different games as others have said. ED is more of a sim whereas SC of more of an arcadey story-driven game. Right now there is practically nothing to SC and it runs very badly on anything other than top-end hardware unless you do some manual tweaking in the config files.

Just to calm expectation - SC is slated for the end of 2016.

I'm looking forward to both SC and No Man's Sky - which with the backing of Sony seems to be staying very close-lipped about how it's progressing.

NMS seems are more direct comparator to ED from what little can be seen - and their planetary landings look great fun. With this as a spur, I can't wait for FDev's variant.

It seems we space-simmers are in a golden age :D

I have not had a go on SC in any form, so I cannot say how good it is. However, I am going to draw a comparison (without alluding to the quality of ED or SC). Years ago the video recorder was launched. The first used the VHS format, then came Betamax, followed finally by V2000. In this case the VHS was low quality, Betamax was medium quality, while V2000 was high quality (I am NOT saying this about ED, SC, or any other current game in their genre). Which one succeeded? VHS. This was because it was out there first, and it had far more titles in its' library then the others when they came to market.

I have not had a go on SC in any form, so I cannot say how good it is. However, I am going to draw a comparison (without alluding to the quality of ED or SC). Years ago the video recorder was launched. The first used the VHS format, then came Betamax, followed finally by V2000. In this case the VHS was low quality, Betamax was medium quality, while V2000 was high quality (I am NOT saying this about ED, SC, or any other current game in their genre). Which one succeeded? VHS. This was because it was out there first, and it had far more titles in its' library then the others when they came to market.

That is not the full story, VHS won because it was cheaper to make, cheaper user purchase, cheaper for companies to put their videos on, the adult video industry fully backed it, and finally you could put a full 2 hour length movie on it. Betamax required two tapes, upping the cost even more, for most movies released.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OT.

The two games are very different, each approaching from very different angles. ED is more of a "hard" science form of Sci-Fi, no artificial gravity, more realistic size ships. While SC is more of the Space opera, Sci-fi fantasy setting. ED is going for more of that old school space sim feel, with the skill set on the flying aspects (Flightstick, and virtual joystick for mouse), while SC is going for an arcade FPS style space combat, with the skill set more on twitch FPS style (Freelancer style, Warthunder Arcade mode). This means that the combat in ED is slower and more deliberate, while SC is faster more twitch based.

In terms of other game play its kind of an unknown, we don't know what ED's walking around and FPS will be like, while SC looks like a classic FPS with 0G aspects (like Shattered Horizon). SC will player owned stations, and cap ships, ED probably will not. SC is far more group and guild based(currently there are far more multiplayer ships than single), while ED is far more about the individual.

At this stage SC is only $35 at its base price, that is not much for the content and scope of what CIG is trying to create, that being said there are a number of issues. SC already has a cash shop, and you can and will continue to be able to purchase weapons and in game currency in that cash shop, this adds a level of P2W that some people will not like. People that purchase ships will have a major advantage when the game launches, and because PVP does have consequences, and because there are limited resources present in the game, that advantage will effect many peoples gameplay. Now if that bothers you or not is entirly your opinion and something you should consider. The other potential worry is that CIG have shown that they are not adverse to creating a P2W system, as it stands the PVP aspect of AC is P2W (it does have a leaderboard), with the top players playing the best purchased ships, with purchased weapons from the cash shop. While you will "soon" be able to rent ships and equipment, CIG's own numbers show that it will take the typical player ~16 hours to earn the best ships and equipment, with a renting time of 7 "days" (a day is counted each time you log in (even if it is just for a min), it is unknown if you can log in multiple times with in a single 24 hour period).

Another poster stated that CR has a history of delivering, that is not really true, CIG have been late (longest was 6 months) on most of their releases.

If asked "should I get ED" I would say no, that it was not worth the current asking price. Now FD seem to be on track on changing that, adding more and more content, but in its current state (the game is really fun), there just is not enough content for the price. That being said, ED is a very playable game, with real content, something that SC currently does not have. But only time will tell how either game will shape up, with so much up in the air it is next to impossible to compare the two games, other than comparing their ship combat, and business model. What content ED has is very polished and has been since its alpha, SC on the other hand is very rough and unpolished with a number of ship being rather broken (as stated by CIG).

Finally, at $35 (it is unknown if/when the price will go up), it is not much of a risk, but at the same time, you are not missing much by waiting (CIG's own number show that very few backers are playing the multiplayer, less than 1% have over an hour(might be 2 hours)).

Edit: Yes I am a SC backer, have been for over 20 months. I am also a PB backer of ED, yet I have spent way more on SC then ED.

Last edited:
It doesnt... Star Citizen isnt even close to finished so there's basically nothing to do except some combat. All of ED's core mechanics are complete.

Until Star Citizen get's closer to completion, it'll be impossible to really give an accurate comparison. In it's current state ED is definitely the better game.

The game is still in pre-Alpha so it's to be expected.

Pre-alpha for something released to testers is a term they made up to manage expectations. It's by definition Alpha at that point. Even according to their own terminology it's in Alpha now.

if they are doing what they say they are and they are holding back to make the game ready for launch then i feel it will give ED a big run for its money in content
I absolutely love ED! But truth be told there is more content on the Star Citizen website than in ED.

If Star Citizen achieves a fraction of what is promised it will kill Ed, not slowly or over time but headshot dead in the water style. For example ED is like the old game doom that everyone knows and loves, simple great gameplay. But star citizen will be like comparing Doom to Skyrim in terms of content and features.

That will upset lots of people but I really am crossing my fingers for ED

But they must pull it out the bag NOW stop working on a Mac version?? and add content!

looks absolutely stunning... anyone know anything about it? is it out yet?

It's still in a pre-pre-pre-Alpha stage.
Or maybe they moved to pre-pre-Alpha.
Not sure anymore.
Anyway, I advise you watch some YT videos first, then decide.

It's still in a pre-pre-pre-Alpha stage.
Or maybe they moved to pre-pre-Alpha.
Not sure anymore.
Anyway, I advise you watch some YT videos first, then decide.

I strongly advise against that, especially the fps and mining. No need for added grief against ed

Long time SC backer and Long time ED player as well.

SC vs ED:
Graphics award goes to SC by a mile. Looks amazing. But requires a mega high end PC to achieve this. I mean, my god, its using the CRYSIS 3 ENGINE!!! So what do you expect!! Hopefully optimization helps with this as the game matures, no one knows. Im ruining 2 x 980s in SLI at 3440 x 1440 and it STILL slows down in places.

Sound effects of course go to ED, by a mile. SC really sounds "pew pew" arcade-y, maybe it gets better maybe not

Flight controls? I give the nod to ED, because Im a fan of simplicity. SC flight control is SO complicated/convoluted right now. In ED all you have is the "Z" key for flight assist off which some people, myself included, might use to temporarily tighten a turn in a dog fight. In SC their FA off mode is called coupled / decoupled and it is SOO much different than ED's FA off. You decouple, you literally become a "flying turret" across space. Imagine you are "traveling" left to right, along a course line. But you can face 360 degrees in seconds, firing all over the place, without changing your course trajectory. Imagine dog fighting an eagle in ED, you're behind him, he's moving away from you, and in .5sec he is all of a sudden FACING you and shooting at you, while flying BACKWARDs. SC Arena is full of this, and its only the tip of the iceberg. Their IFCS (intelligent flight control system) has so many mode toggles: COMSTAB on/off, coupled/edcoupled/ G-Safe on/off , ESP (enhanced stick precision) on off. And unlike EDs FA Off, you actually NEED to use ALL this stuff to be competitive in SC dogfighting. Arena Commander currently feels like Call of Duty in Space. You have mouse aim guys behaving like spinning/flying turrets in space. It doesn't "feel" like space flight at all. The combat emphasis is currently heavily heavily biased towards aiming (think BF4 headshots!) rather than flying.

Control Equality: Goes to ED. SC arena combat is heavily biased towards mouse aim users. Go try and play WarThunder arcade battles with a joystick and you get the idea here. How precisely you can put your aim circle for your turret/gimball weapons onto your targets lead indicator determines the dog fight winner. And a mouse, hands down, wins. Which brings me to my next point.

In SC, Gimbals and turrets do NOT auto track. Yes, imagine in ED, for all your gimbaled and turreted weapons, you had to MANUALLY use your mouse (or god forbid joystick) and place the aim points onto the target (or target's lead indicator if using ballistic weapons). Thats what SC does. So you can see, its a mouse aim field day. Now, supposedly, once multi crewed ships are implemented, turrets will either be:
manned (human or NPC character), so they will of course, auto track and auto fire. or
unmanned, and will have targeting control software/data throughput pipes and will hopefully auto track and fire similar to ED
But, they have never said if they will implement auto tracking for forward firing gimbals. Joystick players are begging for it. Mouse-aim players are fighting it to the death. Combining manually mouse aiming gimbals with the insanity of decoupled flight, and you feel like you are controlling an avatar of a spinning turret traveling through space, not an actual 20,000kg star fighter.

Ship design / variety:
I give design to neither. If you like real military aircraft adapted to space, you will like SC. If you don't, you won't. The Retaliator looks like a B-1B bomber + F-111. The new Vanguard looks like an F-14 Tomcat + P-38. Walking around your Super Hornet in your hangar you feel like you are pre flighting an F-18E Super Hornet. Complete down to the US Naval aircraft type landing gear, complete with catapult tow-bar hook ups on the nose gear. Some of the big transport type ships at least look futuristic, but you cant see those in your hangar. But variety? I give the win to SC. They already have WAY more ships on their site than ED does.

Variety of (promised) things to do in the universe?
Goes to SC, by a mile. There are ships designed to be info runners. There are ships designed to be in flight re fueling tankers. There are ships designed to be explorers complete with ground rovers for once you land. There are ships designed to be luxury transports. Cargo ships. Bombers designed for taking out capital ships. Aircraft carriers complete with player controlled fighters in their hangar. Capital ships that take 70+, yes 70+, HUMAN players to staff (Javelin). Dedicated Racers (ala Formula 1 cars in space). Long range strike fighters. Short range fighters. Mining ships. Dedicated Salvage Ships. SAR craft (Search and Rescue). Dedicated repair ships. Dedicated hospital ships. Dedicated Missile Boats. Assault craft designed for rapid insertion / boarding, complete with player controlled space marines inside. The list never stops. Again, like the ship design, it goes right back to modern military inspiration. You can really feel they are making a modern day battle group in space. I cant even begin to list the kind of stuff they promise. You'd have to check their forums. But as well all know, these are ONLY PROMISES, so anything can happen. I personally fear they have promised so much, it will be impossible to put together.

Pay to Win Rep:
The winner here is of course ED. And by winning, I mean, ED can NEVER be accused of being a P2W game. Frontier doesn't let us spend money on ANYTHING except cosmetic skins. SC is the exact opposite. Imagine if you could drop down 250 USD cash and have an Anaconda on day 1. Thats what SC is doing. Imagine if could spend real cash on A class shield gens for it too. Yup, in SC you can. Now, to their credit, the Devs over there have rationalized it like this:
They know they have 2 kinds of players. Players with no money and lots of time (i.e. school kids on vacation or unemployed). And players with extra money and no time (i.e., players who have real jobs). In ED, the Anaconda is basically unobtainable to any player with a real job (i.e., Monday to Friday, 9 hours a day) and friends and god forbid a family. "Grown up" players like this play a game for an hour or two at night, on a few week days (IF they are lucky and have time) and maybe 6 hours TOTAL on a weekend. You will never get an Anaconda in ED like this. NEVER. So SC has said we understand players who are like this, and if they want to skip the grind for cash, go right ahead! On the opposite spectrum, to their players with no jobs but lots of time, they have said everything that you can buy for real cash can also be bought with in game currency that you get while playing/grinding like normal. Bottom line is, the SC devs are trying to appeal to a guy with a full time job who still wants high-end (end game, if you will) equipment while also not alienating the free player with lots of time and no money. Will it work? No one knows. But imagine in ED, if on launch day, you went to the closest anarchy nav beacon (Ngaliba) in your Eagle and when you got there, you found 29 other players in A-Spec Anacondas floating around....This will happen in SC.

Bottom line is I feel there is room for both games to survive. SC is still a LOOOONG way from release and ED has plenty of time to mature and gain loyal followers.

Last edited:
I have a very hard time wanting to play a game that charges $2500 for a pixellated ship. Yes, that's $2500 real world money.
I don't care if the game makes me breakfast in bed and performs sexual favors for me....that's completely bonkers in my opinion.

Will give SC a pass and not even try it out.

I have a very hard time wanting to play a game that charges $2500 for a pixellated ship. Yes, that's $2500 real world money.
I don't care if the game makes me breakfast in bed and performs sexual favors for me....that's completely bonkers in my opinion.

Will give SC a pass and not even try it out.

Whats AMAZING bro is.... THIS SHIPS SOLD OUT IN MINUTES!

The Javelin was 2500 when it went on sale. They sold out all 200 of them in literally seconds. I wasn't a backer back then, but I believe it was 10 seconds and the original 100 they offered were sold out. They then did another sale for the last 100, and that one sold out in about a minute. All for 2500 USD each. And you know what, people are selling them for 7500 now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen...selling+nsfw:no&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all

Yes, there is an entire grey-market sub culture of buying and selling SC ships. "Gifting", as its called, to other players is allowed in Star Citizen. Imagine in ED if you could give Anacondas to other players. Well, in SC, you can. Only you don't even have to play the game to get your anaconda, you just buy it with PayPal. Then you can turn around and sell it. Its a full on market over there, a real one. Most recent example is The Vanguard. They were sold by CIG (thats Star Citizens equivalent of FD) officially on the website for 1 week, for 250 USD. The sale ended April 6th. Now, 13 days later, people are trying to sell them for 330-350 USD:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen...wts__last_cutlass_blue_165_last_lti_vanguard/

And you can buy more than 1 of the same ship. So known ship sellers would put say 10 x Vanguards on their credit card, for 2500 US dollars. They wait for the official sale to end, then they go on reddit, trying to sell them for 330-350 each. Its insane the market star citizen has created for things that aren't even real.

Go to their forums, start reading various threads, and you'll see something interesting. Take a look at the posters "rank"
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Pledges

The official star citizen forums allow a poster to display his rank with a "badge" below his name. Your display-able rank is determined by how much money you have spent on the game. (Your forum account locked to your "buying" account so it automatically tracks how much you have spent and allows you to display the appropriate badge). You will be FLOORED at how many "High Admiral" posters there are on their forums. Yes, if you checked the link above, that's a player who has spent more than a $1000 USD (but less than 2500). There are TONS of players over there with that badge.

Love it or hate it, CR really tapped into a bottomless well of money. In a million years if someone had told me "Yeah dude, there are lots of players who will spend over 1000 bucks on a computer game..." I would have told them to go **** off. But I would have been dead wrong. There ARE lots of players who have spent over 1000 bucks on Star Citizen.

Last edited:
The official star citizen forums allow a poster to display his rank with a "badge" below his name. Your display-able rank is determined by how much money you have spent on the game. (Your forum account locked to your "buying" account so it automatically tracks how much you have spent and allows you to display the appropriate badge). You will be FLOORED at how many "High Admiral" posters there are on their forums. Yes, if you checked the link above, that's a player who has spent more than a $1000 USD (but less than 2500). There are TONS of players over there with that badge.

Love it or hate it, CR really tapped into a bottomless well of money. In a million years if someone had told me "Yeah dude, there are lots of players who will spend over 1000 bucks on a computer game..." I would have told them to go **** off. But I would have been dead wrong. There ARE lots of players who have spent over 1000 bucks on Star Citizen.

Imagine the expectations ...

how does start citizen stack up to elite?
looks absolutely stunning... anyone know anything about it? is it out yet?

Not... at the moment.
SC has no game to show yet.

The graphics look stunning. It uses a great engine to produce those crisp visuals. It is the CryEngine. I am a bit in doubt if this is the right engine for a game like this, but I trust that Chris Roberts and his team will have thoroughly looked into that.

The biggest and fundamental difference between the two games is the following:

As opposed to Elite's open, simulated universe, and to my disappointment, SC will use a limited, closed, sector based design for it's universe.
The X-games use the same approach and even if you have 500 sectors you still are able to intimately know the entire universe of such a space game. In that respect it will therefore feel limited and even claustrophobic, just like the X-games. I am not saying it can't be a wonderful game, but to me this is a serious limitation.
For me the Elite games were the only space games that were able to convey that true psychological feeling of open space. In Elite you are truly able to go where no one has gone before. In SC this will be impossible because of it's limitations. Everyone that plays SC will go and have been where everyone else goes and has been.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom