How long til Odyssey is actually playable?

I had about 3 hours of being stuck in a CTD loop (saturday I think), which was fixed by logging into Horizons then back into Odyssey.
I've had about 4 "random" CTD's.
I'm getting less disconnects than I did a month ago playing Horizons.
I've had 1 mission that I couldn't complete (Mission board wouldn't open).
I've had 1 mission where NPC pathfinding was borked (they all dropped onto a roof, which I'm guessing has no pathfinding mesh attached, so they just stood there).

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe other people are exaggerating the problems - without playing the game on someone else's PC I wouldn't know.....
That's interesting, from my perspective as a network/systems admin and custom builder of 30 years.

I wonder what it is, that separates the clients experiencing constant game-breaking issues from the clients who... merely experience "some" game breaking issues?
I wonder, is it a philosophy that is different, or could it be the technology itself?

So far, I have 3 hardware platforms at home which experience very similar issues. The specs are:
Main machine, this one: 3080 FTW3, i7 7800x 6/12 core @4ghz, 32GB, clean win10, 350+Mbit net.
Second machine: 1080ti FTW3 i7 7800x 6/12 @4ghz, 16GB, win10
Test machine that I threw together this morning: nvidia 960 GPU, intel 965 extreme 4/8 core, x58 shipset mb, 16GB RAM, win10. Note: this is pretty much the system the CEO claimed to have at home, which he plays the game on, only my GPU is not a 980 its a 960.

The disconnects, missions vanishing, broken menu behavior (cant navigate right in mission UI 3 out of 5 times), broken post/renderer etc etc, are consistent on all machines.
The FPS issues are consistent, though varied on each machine. The 3080 sees the greatest hit at 4k res, from 30-90 FPS. The 1080 is more like 20-60 at 4k, and the 960 is 20-40 at 1080p. Each see the same STUTTERING and wildly fluctuating FPS inside structures.

And I am pleased to report that the old bugs -- where you can destroy the power plant and thrusters of a ship, but the ship keeps on fighting and flying around like nothing is wrong -- are also back.

But Im guessing "some people" dont notice any of that, and "its fine."

Right?

"Its been playable the whole time. I dont know why people say its so bad."
EB5141F59F045FE9327940F9C39E62F6B7B618A3

That's interesting, from my perspective as a network/systems admin and custom builder of 30 years.

I wonder what it is, that separates the clients experiencing constant game-breaking issues from the clients who... merely experience "some" game breaking issues?
I wonder, is it a philosophy that is different, or could it be the technology itself?

So far, I have 3 hardware platforms at home which experience very similar issues. The specs are:
Main machine, this one: 3080 FTW3, i7 7800x 6/12 core @4ghz, 32GB, clean win10, 350+Mbit net.
Test machine that I threw together this morning: nvidia 960 GPU, intel 965 extreme 4/8 core, x58 shipset mb, 16GB RAM, win10. Note: this is pretty much the system the CEO claimed to have at home, which he plays the game on, only my GPU is not a 980 its a 960.

The disconnects, missions vanishing, broken menu behavior (cant navigate right in mission UI 3 out of 5 times), broken post/renderer etc etc, are consistent on all machines.
The FPS issues are consistent, though varied on each machine. The 3080 sees the greatest hit at 4k res, from 30-90 FPS. The 1080 is more like 20-60 at 4k, and the 960 is 20-40 at 1080p. Each see the same STUTTERING and wildly fluctuating FPS inside structures.

And I am pleased to report that the old bugs -- where you can destroy the power plant and thrusters of a ship, but the ship keeps on fighting and flying around like nothing is wrong -- are also back.

Right?
well considering the distributed nature of the ED server farms globally ( backended on various amazon domains ??? ) and the multitude of the services being stood up ( based on all those colored space ship messages ) - maybe there a large component on the network / locale side contributing to this ?

well considering the distributed nature of the ED server farms globally ( backended on various amazon domains ??? ) and the multitude of the services being stood up ( based on all those colored space ship messages ) - maybe there a large component on the network / locale side contributing to this ?
If the local AWS zone is at fault, or the peering arrangement of that local zone, whose fault is any of that and why didnt it show up pre-odyssey? If its a zone/code issue, why is the wrong code replicated out to my zone?

If you look REALLLLLLLY CLOSELY you can almost see where it says "mission target" in red on my HUD, left side. Yeah this was a real win for me, that night.

If the local AWS zone is at fault, or the peering arrangement of that local zone, whose fault is any of that and why didnt it show up pre-odyssey? If its a zon/code issue, why is the wrong code replicated out to my zone?
I have no idea since I have no access to their services other than through the game client :) - but based on some of the posts from Frontier about them debugging things at the services level to try and clear up the orange sidewinder issues as well as the mention of traffic contention issues between horizon and odyssey because of the need to support carriers in both universes .... I imagine they are doing a lot of troubleshooting in this space no ? . Perhaps some services are more easily overwhelmed in certain locales and they need to spin up more bandwidth/cores/memory/persistent storage in certain regions - maybe they did not balance things out as well as they should initially . Without being the architect who designed the service infrastructure ED stands on who can know ( until Frontier open the curtains a little more ) .

I have no idea since I have no access to their services other than through the game client :) - but based on some of the posts from Frontier about them debugging things at the services level to try and clear up the orange sidewinder issues as well as the mention of traffic contention issues between horizon and odyssey because of the need to support carriers in both universes .... I imagine they are doing a lot of troubleshooting in this space no ? . Perhaps some services are more easily overwhelmed in certain locales and they need to spin up more bandwidth/cores/memory/persistent storage in certain regions - maybe they did not balance things out as well as they should initially . Without being the architect who designed the service infrastructure ED stands on who can know ( until Frontier open the curtains a little more ) .
Ive spun up / deployed a couple things into AWS for a client a couple years ago, and am moderately familiar. All of this can be planned and tested ahead of time, and scalability has been the name of the game for decades now.

Frontier knows a) they have 13 million registered users for elite (they published that number) b) if even %10 of those users bought Odyssey, this would create a large, predictable spike in network and CPU traffic, c) companies usually plan out the scale and scope of their rollouts, such as this, using current and historic analytics, retention data, current active playerbase statistics, etc. The alpha stage of this should have provided lots of good data on the network and server side, and if it didnt because it wasnt well enough attended, welp.... thats another example of where additional QA time might have been good BEFORE release. Thats my basic point here, always -- shouldnt have released.

And (for me, cough), the disconnects have all but stopped, after the last patch. As of this morning, I havent disconnected or lost my missions. They seem to have figured it out, and they are opaque AF about it, so who knows what the solution was?

I've noticed (in Horizons, ~a month ago) that I was getting alot fewer disconnects after changing internet supplier (and switching to fibre). Some of the disconnects could be down to ISP (ie. not the client or server). This probably doesn't help much, but is just an observation.
Not really much I can comment on here, apart from share my specs and framerates, so......
- MSI B550 Tomahawk m/b
- Ryzen 5 3600 cpu (with stock cooler)
- 32GB (dual channel - 2x16GB) Corsair Vengence RAM @ 3600mhz
- M.2 NVMe 1TB SSD (Can't remember the brand - EvoBlu or something like that)
- MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB (Below recommended spec, but above minimum)
(Everything is running the most recent drivers, even audio)

I'm playing @1080, with a mix of Medium and High settings (High with a few things turned down, mainly Shadows and Bloom).

FPS-wise, I'm getting 60 (my set framerate limit) in space, 40-50 on empty Planets, 30-40 in Settlements and 25-35 in the Concourse (don't mind the slight stuttering in the concourse because nothing 'twitchy' happens there!)
I'm happy with these results at the moment, especially considering I'm running below recommended spec (graphics-wise) and haven't had to go down to 720p!
I can't say I've had any missions vanishing, but I do only ever take 1 mission at a time, cos RP.
Definitely had a few rendering issues, though!
20210525201805_1.jpg (Rings, not rendering properly over a certain distance away).

The only UI bug I've encountered is on some screens the [UI Back] binding doesn't work and I have to move the mouse to click on the back/exit button. Oh, and sometimes (after handing in a mission) I am unable to open the Galaxy/System maps until I return to my ship or re-log.
I have heard alot of reports of 'newer' hardware (30xx series cards) struggling being throttled for whatever reason (but I have also seen someones CPUz log where they had a 3090 in a PCI-e 16 x 1.1 slot!!! so some of it is problems with the user, not the hardware).
I've never encountered that one, personally (or never noticed). I have mostly been trying out the new Odyssey content though, so that could be a contributing factor.
My typical play session doesn't involve actively looking for bugs, and if I do encounter one, I usually tend to think "Oh well, s**t happens, it'll get patched one day" and make a note to submit a bug report....
I also spent many years ( a long time ago) playing GTA3 and Vice City at below 20FPS, so maybe i've trained myself to 'overlook' the occasional skipped frame and focus on the positives, not the negatives!
Or left 🙅‍♂️

Also, I'm not saying you're bugs don't exist, you're overreacting, or you're making things up... all I'm saying is glass half-full; look at the positives, not the negatives; it's not the end of the World; it will get fixed!

I've noticed (in Horizons, ~a month ago) that I was getting alot fewer disconnects after changing internet supplier (and switching to fibre). Some of the disconnects could be down to ISP (ie. not the client or server). This probably doesn't help much, but is just an observation.

Not really much I can comment on here, apart from share my specs and framerates, so......
  • MSI B550 Tomahawk m/b
  • Ryzen 5 3600 cpu (with stock cooler)
  • 32GB (dual channel - 2x16GB) Corsair Vengence RAM @ 3600mhz
  • M.2 NVMe 1TB SSD (Can't remember the brand - EvoBlu or something like that)
  • MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB (Below recommended spec, but above minimum)
(Everything is running the most recent drivers, even audio)

I'm playing @1080, with a mix of Medium and High settings (High with a few things turned down, mainly Shadows and Bloom).

FPS-wise, I'm getting 60 (my set framerate limit) in space, 40-50 on empty Planets, 30-40 in Settlements and 25-35 in the Concourse (don't mind the slight stuttering in the concourse because nothing 'twitchy' happens there!)
I'm happy with these results at the moment, especially considering I'm running below recommended spec (graphics-wise) and haven't had to go down to 720p!

I can't say I've had any missions vanishing, but I do only ever take 1 mission at a time, cos RP.
Definitely had a few rendering issues, though!
View attachment 232058 (Rings, not rendering properly over a certain distance away).

The only UI bug I've encountered is on some screens the [UI Back] binding doesn't work and I have to move the mouse to click on the back/exit button. Oh, and sometimes (after handing in a mission) I am unable to open the Galaxy/System maps until I return to my ship or re-log.

I have heard alot of reports of 'newer' hardware (30xx series cards) struggling being throttled for whatever reason (but I have also seen someones CPUz log where they had a 3090 in a PCI-e 16 x 1.1 slot!!! so some of it is problems with the user, not the hardware).

I've never encountered that one, personally (or never noticed). I have mostly been trying out the new Odyssey content though, so that could be a contributing factor.

My typical play session doesn't involve actively looking for bugs, and if I do encounter one, I usually tend to think "Oh well, s**t happens, it'll get patched one day" and make a note to submit a bug report....
I also spent many years ( a long time ago) playing GTA3 and Vice City at below 20FPS, so maybe i've trained myself to 'overlook' the occasional skipped frame and focus on the positives, not the negatives!

Or left 🙅‍♂️

Also, I'm not saying you're bugs don't exist, you're overreacting, or you're making things up... all I'm saying is glass half-full; look at the positives, not the negatives; it's not the end of the World; it will get fixed!
This has nothing to do with the throttling or other non-factory stuff people are doing. My 3080 doesnt "throttle" because 1) it isnt a 3090, lol, and 2) it isnt overclocked, nor is any other component in my system.

And this doesnt explain the 1080ti, nor the 960, which are not new devices.
My play sessions dont involve actively looking for bugs, either? They find me, and I cannot avoid them, so I post angrily about it in threads populated by weird accounts who sometimes even admit having the same issues I have -- but dont have any problem.... with those issues... because of some weird zen-like philosophy that frees them from all earthly stresses. Sorry, I dont have the same lack of attachment. My money and my time are important to me.

My glass is always half full, and I spend a lot of time giving that advice to others. This has nothing to do with seeing things optimistically, or whatever it is you are trying to suggest. Cognitive Behavioral Theory doesn't work that way. I wont just tell myself everything is fine on behalf of Elite's investors, no.

My money and my time are important to me.
Money isn't important (unless you don't have enough to eat) - it's only purpose in life is to be spent......
Anyway, Elite (so far) has cost me less than 18p per Hour of playtime, so I don't see how cost is a problem.

so I post angrily about it in threads
100% not the right approach in any way!
A sensible approach would be to file a bug report, then go back to playing (or if it's that much of a problem, wait for a patch before you play again!).
Having a toddler tantrum doesn't help you, doesn't help the devs fix the problem, and only makes you look daft.

My glass is always half full
Okay, it must be a very big glass with a very odd definition of 'half full'...

There is a real patch (not a hotfix) due tomorrow. :alien:

Strange that the forum is going bonanza over that.

This has nothing to do with the throttling or other non-factory stuff people are doing. My 3080 doesnt "throttle" because 1) it isnt a 3090, lol, and 2) it isnt overclocked, nor is any other component in my system.
I think you are misunderstanding the term 'throttle'.

Throttle (verb)

To slow down or choke the flow of something (ie To 'throttle' an engine is to slow down the flow of air (oxygen), reducing performance).

Throttling a GPU is not allowing it to run at full capacity for X reason. That reason could be down to anythiung from a user set limit, to a limit set by the engine, to broken or badly optimised drivers, to a hardware limit. If anything, overclocking would remove the throttle, allowing it to run on full chat!

Top Bottom