How many birds should be added to the game??

I think we can safely say the days of proper expansion packs are over, and while I agree it's very underwhelming to get a maximum of 8 after all this time and feeling as though you have been well and truly... it's a start, it's better than none at all. Worst case scenario and we only end up with 12 flying birds at the end of the run, that's 12 rigs for modders to work from. I'm not kidding myself we're going to get a reasonable amount of birds from frontier, especially when so much of the fanbase consider birds a "wasted slot", but I know how many birds modders made for ZT2 from the lacklustre roster there, and I have no doubt the same will happen with PZ.

I honestly don't believe we're getting ZT2 style expansion. Expansions took much longer to make and even when we compare ZT2 with all expansions ( except EA, reasonably ) with PZ in current state, counting latest DLC-The PZ beats it in number of animals:

So it simply and sadly isn't worth the time. This system is way quicker, generates more income and isn't lacking behind in quantity of content. Now quality would be subjective but even ZT2 didn't have aviary birds.

So if we're getting birds and aviary at all, I think we should manage our expectations and compromise what we can. Still I don't think that 8 birds plus possible later additions is a bad deal.

But I totally understand that everyone has their passions and, you perhaps, waited just for the birds from the start, and I can see how 8-10 would feel underwhelming for you. But we don't know anything yet, not even if there is one aviary pack let alone the content of it.

I do know however that they listen to community and that they're ready to meet the needs of their fans. So I trust we'll get a solution that will leave both sides satisfied

On top of that we do not know that this year is the last one - DLC wise, only thing we know for sure that we are getting four DLCs next year, and not much else.

I see plenty of room for optimism there 😊
Zt2 had a smaller base roster and had a whole expansion devoted to extinct and marine animals that isn’t counted there.

Zt2 had a smaller base roster and had a whole expansion devoted to extinct and marine animals that isn’t counted there.
I think half of Marine Mania is counted, like animals that could be implemented in current state of PZ. But I do think that's fair comparison, given that PZ is not implementing neither fully aquatic nor extinct animals.

I think half of Marine Mania is counted, like animals that could be implemented in current state of PZ. But I do think that's fair comparison, given that PZ is not implementing neither fully aquatic nor extinct animals.
Just 6/20 are counted. Fully aquatics could potentially be added if it’s requested enough

This perfectly sums up my feelings about future Planet Zoo dlc.

Marine Mania expansion for Zoo Tycoon 2 released on October 17, 2006....15 years ago...And we're still mentioning it.

I can confidently say in 15 years nobody will be talking about Africa DLC or the Europe DLC...can you see the level of quality drop off over twenty years. It's the difference between a timeless expansion vs. uninspired 4 + a box packs...

I really hope Planet Zoo devs read these posts. They have the capability of making something special, I hope they don't flounder the opportunity.

Make something people will still be talking about in 15 years...they did it before, and this forum is very vocal about new things to implement. Free ideas 💡Now it's up to Frontier to actually make the DLC's or expansion packs and charge us for our own ideas.

Last edited:
This perfectly sums up my feelings about future Planet Zoo dlc.

Marine Mania expansion for Zoo Tycoon 2 released on October 17, 2002. Basically 20 years ago...And we're still mentioning it.

I can confidently say in 19 or 20 years nobody will be talking about Africa DLC or the Europe DLC...can you see the level of quality drop off over twenty years. It's the difference between a timeless expansion vs. uninspired 4 + a box packs...

I really hope Planet Zoo devs read these posts. They have the capability of making something special, I hope they don't flounder the opportunity.

Make something people will still be talking about in 20 years...they did it before, and this forum is very vocal about new things to implement. Free ideas 💡Now it's up to Frontier to actually make the DLC's or expansion packs and charge us for our own ideas.
No zt2 marine mania was 2006 zt1 marine mania was probably 2002

Marine Mania expansion for Zoo Tycoon 2 released on October 17, 2002. Basically 20 years ago...And we're still mentioning it.
Zoo Tycoon 2 was released in November 2004. I don't remember staring at my Marine Mania disk for 2 years before I was actually able to play it.

The reason people keep bringing up ZT2 is because there isn't really much else to compare PZ to. And while zoo games haven't had a lot going on the past 10-15 years, the rest of the gaming industry have. Which mean how expansion packs and DLCs are done have changed a lot.
Why should we expect Frontier to stick to an old formula, which isn't good business in 2021?

Zoo Tycoon 2 was released in November 2004. I don't remember staring at my Marine Mania disk for 2 years before I was actually able to play it.

The reason people keep bringing up ZT2 is because there isn't really much else to compare PZ to. And while zoo games haven't had a lot going on the past 10-15 years, the rest of the gaming industry have. Which mean how expansion packs and DLCs are done have changed a lot.
Why should we expect Frontier to stick to an old formula, which isn't good business in 2021?

I meant to say October 17 2006...I wrote the wrong date.

I never got into ZT2 (though I had it) but played ZT a fair bit and had all expansions (I think). I’ve done done very quick googling and as far as I can see, most of the actual features in the ZT & ZT2 expansion packs were actually in PZ at launch…. Transport rides, elevated paths, etc.
In any case, the best comparison isn’t 1 ZT or ZT2 expansion vs. 1 PZ DLC, it’s 1 ZT or ZT2 expansion vs. 3-4 PZ DLC, plus 3-4 free updates… IMO the PZ model is much, much better.

IMO the PZ model is much, much better.
It is.

People don't seem to realise it, but if we had "expansion packs" instead of DLC then all the new features, such as colour variations, Sandbox features, deep diving, and so on, would be locked behind paid DLC instead of being free for the base game. This once again boils down to the fact that people also don't seem to realise that although the updates and DLC are released together, the updates aren't actually part of the DLC. We get all those new features for free, while we still have the choice to get the new content itself or not. E.g. you can still have deep diving animals in the game without the Aquatic Pack.

Top Bottom