Horizons How many people have bothered to fit ship launched fighters?

How many people have installed ship launched fighters in 1 or more of their ships

• Total voters
Like a lot of things in this game. Fighters is something I'd like to try when I'm rich. Currently pilots are far too expensive. Really, taking 10% of the gross, even when inactive. OK for end game players who already have the ships they want.

I'm not sure how to vote.

I have installed fighters, messed around with them a bit. They are fun, in a limited way. But the cost of crew is too high to justify keeping a pilot around all the time, and there's no reason to mess with fighters while running missions or trading (stopping to fight at all is generally counter productive).

So I occasionally fit a fighter bay for a little fun time in a RES or such, and then uninstall it again and fire the crew.

SLF and NPC crew are the best thing that happened to ED since planetary landings! Absolutely loving both!

(answers of poll don't fit question, btw.)

Simple enough question!

How many people have SLFs on one of their ships?

I've not installed any or crew. Waste of a slot and income imo.

For players who massed billions cost is a non issue. I have them in my ship while exploring 26000ly from home, because it is quicker to use SLF to survey planets.

Last edited:
Mandatory for my Corvette. I might not use it always for combat, but I like to have it there when I want do take it for a spin.

The SLF pilots are massively over-paid considering their abilities.

Also, Fdev need to make a one button launch procedure. Its an absolute farce trying to launch them/order them during combat.

There are definitely keybinds for giving orders, not sure about launching though.

where can you get the taipan? been looking for one but no luck yet. was told to go to daiguarde system which is independent but none there. Is it just alliance systems? whats the closest alliance system to sol?

They are right about the Harmless level crew (1% each - when trained up I think it increases by only 1% per level after Harmless, I will have to check the progression based on my Expert and Novice trained SLF pilots)
Seems to be confirmed (on the most part)...
  • Harmless (Base) - 1%
  • Mostly Harmless - 3%
  • Novice - 4%
  • Competent - 5%
  • Expert - 6%
  • Master - ??? 7%
  • Dangerous - ??? 8%
  • Deadly - ??? 9%
  • Elite - ??? 10%
Not certain about the ranks master and above but it seems about right.

- - - Updated - - -

where can you get the taipan? been looking for one but no luck yet. was told to go to daiguarde system which is independent but none there. Is it just alliance systems? whats the closest alliance system to sol?
Alliance/Independent systems... Shinrata has all 3.

As for the closest Alliance system to Sol, not sure but if you plot a course to Alioth or one of the neighbouring stars you should hit an Alliance system soon enough :)

Q: How many ... ?
A: Yes!
069.jpg

Sorry, had to do it :D

But srsly. i'm planning to fit one as soon as i get home... in May (got a long range trip to Sag A(ustalia))...

SLFs can be useful on rare occasions, but they're nothing to write home about in a combat-oriented ship. And that's basically what a lot of people expected -- marginally useful companion ships.

SLFs can be useful on rare occasions, but they're nothing to write home about in a combat-oriented ship. And that's basically what a lot of people expected -- marginally useful companion ships.

i find them very hand at getting sill eagles off me whilst i focus on the big ships

I was sceptical about SLF when 2.2 was released. Now I really love them. My crewmember is deadly now and performs very well even in CZs. Just these annoying rail-snipers are it's Nemesis. I am just playing PvE and cannot say anything about performance in PvP.

Out on exploration it doesnt feel so lonely. Start a canyon race and listen to comm chatter.

Yes I am a fan of SLF now.

I gave it a shot, but until I can afford an Anaconda it's simply not practical to fly around in a Keelback just to let the fighter do all the heavy lifting, so to speak.

Put one on my Beluga miner, great fun, keep the crew busy flying the whole time I am mining, make her earn her keep. Have the crew up to dangerous now, so am confident now to let her handle the mother ship while I am flying the fighter. Have paid her bout 50 mil so far, a drop in the bucket when I am sitting on 1.7 bil. She is also good on those long space flights, put the ship on autopilot and then spend some time in the Belugas hot tub, ahhh good times. I shopped around til I found a crew that wasn't so hard on the eyes, took awhile to find one though, most of them are just downright ugly....

I gave it a shot, but until I can afford an Anaconda it's simply not practical to fly around in a Keelback just to let the fighter do all the heavy lifting, so to speak.
Don't forget the Federal Gunship is also an option - not quite as expensive as an Anaconda.

I did and was enjoying it, getting interdicted letting my SLF take care of them or at least help out I thought yeah were kicking here, wasn't worried about the profit share thing, after all they are getting a slice of the pie for being part of the crew.

But then due to me forgetting about how dormant bounties work and alt tabbing whilst auto docking my anaconda with its haul full of mission and other cargo, went boom. So not only did I lose the ship, I also lost my crew mate who was ticking along quite nicely. If I can walk away from it why cant they.

So after that I haven't bothered with them, I like the concept but it feels very handicapped at the moment, I might well use them again but not as they are at the moment.

Last edited:
Yes - on Conda and Gunship. Once leveled, the crew members are surprisingly effective. I have used them in haz res, czs and as a little added buff during npc interdictions when carrying cargo. I'm sure I haven't figured out their true potential. I also like the effort (however modest) to add some personal story flavor. I'm embarrassed to say this but I burned a few credits hiring and firing prospective harmless candidates based on their stories and appearances.

The only capable ship I can afford / meet requirements for is the Keelback and it's the only reason I have a Keelback in my little fleet. I had one hired, but I let them go when I realized that they suck up just as much of a paycheck when sitting at the station. Also, seeing enough to notice that their backstories are just random nonsense kinda killed my loyalty to them. I found one that admitted to a crime then said I could trust them because they were framed; since the fighters are telepresence, I couldn't take them out and order them to fly into a star, so I just passed on their offer.

* edit *
Seeing how effective they really are, I suspect I'll get another hire when I get to the larger ships that can benefit better from the fighters. In the meantime, I'm just glad I haven't faced any yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom