how to bring players back

Repair limpets? Healing Beams?
For shield and hull, what for modules?
Ok, for kids:
In CS 1.6, 2003 game, you can drop the bomb for other people, you can give weapons, for change gameplay other players. In shooter game, where you need just blow bomb, or kill people.
What you can do in BIG space online simulator, with other people and open world, for change gameplay other players?
Kill? Refuel? Sell some useless trash in fixed price, like npc?
When you kill goid, and have 20% ammo, but 100% hull - who can change it, without docking? Or you have only 40% powerplant?
Support build or something for wing play...
Oh, yep. You can just make fdl with railgun, and kill some farmer. Or circling around another shielded ship 5 minutes, for typing "gg".
All this can do NPC's.

Try to replenish someone's ammunition so that your ally does not fly to the station.
Try fixing the modules.
Try trading resources.
Try passing any module.

If your friends suggest any of this, then they are blatantly lying.
The list can be really long, but it’s easier to write down what’s available.
Trade in goods and refueling. You can also restore shields. This can be used if your friend is shooting fuel, then you can increase his ammunition.
Randomness that can be used.
Ah!
So you want the game to be another RPG, rather than the game it is?

Never mind, even without the things you desire we have plenty of fun together - I've found that wanting things in games that have no chance of being included to be frustrating - if a game doesn't scratch any particular itch, it gets put aside, it may have greater appeal in the future, when I have had time to regain my senses and not shout at the sky any longer.

In CS 1.6, 2003 game, you can drop the bomb for other people, you can give weapons, for change gameplay other players. In shooter game, where you need just blow bomb, or kill people.
How many spaceships can you fly in it?
Does it have over 400 Billion places to visit?

Ah!
So you want the game to be another RPG, rather than the game it is?

Never mind, even without the things you desire we have plenty of fun together - I've found that wanting things in games that have no chance of being included to be frustrating - if a game doesn't scratch any particular itch, it gets put aside, it may have greater appeal in the future, when I have had time to regain my senses and not shout at the sky any longer.
But it's a time honored tradition to shake our puny fists at the PTBs!

Let's not mention the people who spent hundreds of hours on guardian weapons that are useless in actual content.
Agree. I equipped three ships with guardians technology. A huge amount of time is simply devalued. I've lost much of my interest in the Thargoid war.

Let's not mention the people who spent hundreds of hours
Hundreds of hours? I've probably spent around 30 hours in the last 6 years visiting the Guardian sites - often with other players who were making their 1st visit. Still have blueprints spare, even after picking up the standard & modified Guardian weapons.
on guardian weapons that are useless in actual content.
Useless in combat?
FWIW, I use salvation modded plasma with great effect against humans, IMO not useless at all...
I've seen the same also, so "useless" is obviously a personal observation.

How many spaceships can you fly in it?
Does it have over 400 Billion places to visit?
It's a little funny, like you're deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage.

In cs I have hundreds of different maps, a large number of weapons, and thousands of skins for every item in the game, including an alternative character ship.
I can count on a clear balance in this game, and a huge variability in the execution of only two possible options.

How many new ships have you tried over the past 5 years, how many unique systems have you visited out of 400 billion, and how well balanced is the gameplay in the elite?
This is an interesting question.

In cs I have hundreds of different maps, a large number of weapons, and thousands of skins for every item in the game, including an alternative character ship.
I can count on a clear balance in this game, and a huge variability in the execution of only two possible options.
Do you have a space ship you can fly in CS?

Getting players back is easy enough in my opinion. We have hundreds of variations of different missions in both the main game and Odyssey. That said, doing these missions makes no sense for most players. The only point is engineering materials. As a result, a huge portion of the game content is simply not needed.

I would redesign PP so that players can create their own factions and run them from within the game as a leader. All existing missions when completed could advance the faction's influence, accumulate some "influence level" that could be spent on expansion, wars, etc. At the same time to make it so that the effectiveness of increasing the "level of influence" depended not on the number of completed missions in general, but on the fulfillment of a certain "weekly task" in which there will be missions of different types from mining to passengers.

In this case, factions of players could face each other, provoking players to compete in the fulfillment of missions and in conflicts with each other. For example, two factions could start a war and players would have to take part in these wars on both sides in order to win. This will revitalize ED gameplay without the need to add new content and spend a lot of resources, as this scheme will use existing content.

Of course besides power and might there should be additional motivation in the form of some bonuses, production of materials at bases under the control of the player's faction, tax collection or something similar.

The cherry on the cake would be the construction of bases. We know it existed in the Odyssey concept, but it was abandoned. Perhaps it's too complicated technically, but how nice it would be to find a cozy corner of the galaxy, build and populate it. Hell, I'd spend another 1000 hours on it, simply because it's an addictive "development simulation", which in itself is a key feature of most Fdev games. How cool would it be to see something like this in ED, some variant of Factorio...

Okay, I think things are starting to go into deep fantasy again. I need to stop now.

How many new ships have you tried over the past 5 years, how many unique systems have you visited out of 400 billion, and how well balanced is the gameplay in the elite?
Five years ago I was probably just starting my Elite journey, so everything was new. I have still not tried all the ships available, and some of the rest only briefly.

Steve

Hundreds of hours?
Hundreds or tens, and some have a thousand. This does not change the situation.

But now I understand why FDev think they are doing everything right. If the main contingent that they see are people taking words out of context in order to challenge the entire meaning. Of course, you will never be given a full-fledged game, or even one complete storyline. You yourself only ask for a piece.

How does the difference in the duration of obtaining guardians modules cancel out the fact that there is nothing to do in the game after you have everything?
How does this negate the fact that in an online game all players have the same or less abilities than the NPCs?

It's a little funny, like you're deliberately putting yourself at a disadvantage.

In cs I have hundreds of different maps,
Are these maps of planets, star systems or whole galaxies?

a large number of weapons, and thousands of skins for every item in the game, including an alternative character ship.
I have over 30 ships plus some duplicates many of which have customisations oh and a mobile base. All the weapons that interest me some of which have skins.

Balance can feel so gamey and I have no idea what you are talking about with only two options.

This is an interesting question.
In nine months and change of time in the game I have visited a mere 10,445 systems 1,907 of which I was the first person to visit and I have been the first to land on 402 planets.

I was meaning atmospheric effects as in rain and clouds and their coloration. I didn't seem to make that clear. I've landed on plenty of atmospheric worlds, yet be interesting if there was some actual clouds, some fog, a bit of rain. Other engines seem to handle it, and even a basic implementation would be welcome.
I expect the tricky thing here isn't the display at any one moment, but knitting together the underlying data so that it's consistent in both time and space across an entire planet for whatever players happen to be on or looking at the planet ... while remaining simple enough in principle to be simulated in the spare cycles of a domestic PC that's already spending most of its power on running the game itself.

If I land next to you and you're seeing bright sunshine and I see heavy rain, that's going to be a problem (especially if we're on opposite sides of a CZ). Similarly if we land on separate parts of the planet and meet up later.
If I see a big swirl of clouds from orbit, and come down in the middle of them and it's sunny on the ground with not a cloud in the sky, that's going to get criticised.
If I look out of my ship and see that it's raining, and then log back in a couple of days later and it's still raining, and know that in ten years time at this spot it will still be raining because that's what the weather is, that's going to get criticised too.

The No Mans Sky simplification of planet-wide weather states, so it's either sunny (or clear night) across the whole planet, or raining across the whole planet, and just changes which on a predictable cycle, is okay for that game but probably wouldn't work for Elite Dangerous.

This probably isn't impossible - things like planetary rings have a huge amount of simplification going on to make the positions of asteroids completely consistent between multiple players in the same instance without requiring thousands of parameters to be synchronised across the network every second, and you need to know a bit of astrophysics to notice the breaks from reality - but getting an efficient and good-looking dynamic weather system which you need to be a meteorologist to see where it's not real is likely a much harder problem than showing a few cloud or fog effects (which things like Notable Stellar Phenomena or the Thargoid Maelstroms show that the engine is perfectly capable of displaying in other settings)

In this case, factions of players could face each other, provoking players to compete in the fulfillment of missions and in conflicts with each other. For example, two factions could start a war and players would have to take part in these wars on both sides in order to win.
In theory, yes. In practice the tricky bit is getting player groups to have interesting fights - the bubble is very large, so conflicts over the same bit of space are unlikely. Player groups have generally in the existing Powerplay or Political BGS been extremely reluctant to start any fight they can't be certain of winning - so there would be wars, but they'd mostly be one-sided walkovers where a large group repeatedly flattens a small group until they give up and quit, then takes their territory ... and the large groups just quietly respect each others' borders because there's always an easier target.

When there are evenly-matched sides fighting for position it can be very interesting to participate in or even just watch unfold - but I can think of maybe three such cases in the entire game to date (I've probably missed a few more, but it's certainly not the normal case). The original Powerplay had somewhat the right idea to encourage evenly-matched sides by having so few possible sides that players would coalesce around just 11 (and in practice with the various permanent alliances, just 6) ... but ended up with extremely stable borders anyway for other reasons.

In nine months and change of time in the game I have visited a mere 10,445 systems 1,907 of which I was the first person to visit and I have been the first to land on 402 planets.
Fine. Excellent achievements, good experience... for a single player.

Let's return to the main question - in an online game there is no interaction between players.
You write “there is!”, I will answer “little and useless”, I will bring CS to the name, and the conversation will be duplicated, because this is a real problem.
You don't want to play a game if it doesn't give you the opportunity to do so. Grind, and the rest, is a side extension of the moment when the bulk comes to the main problem.

Fine. Excellent achievements, good experience... for a single player.

Let's return to the main question - in an online game there is no interaction between players.
You write “there is!”,
Stop trying to tell me what to do.

My answer would be there is some and I have participated in it occasionally but it is a big collection of maps and there are so few humans on Earth so it is scarcer than some would like.

I will answer “little and useless”, I will bring CS to the name, and the conversation will be duplicated, because this is a real problem.
I am sorry but I am still unclear which of the two games you are denigrating or is it both?

You don't want to play a game if it doesn't give you the opportunity to do so.
I bought ED to fly spaceships and do stuff with them that lets me keep flying that doesn't require me to interact with humans unless I wish to, the only reason I bought an online game with multiplayer opportunities was because it wasn't available as an offline single player game, so yes I probably do.

Grind, and the rest, is a side extension of the moment when the bulk comes to the main problem.
Grind is more a factor of impatience than anything else.

how many unique systems have you visited out of 400 billion
Only around 20,000, how about you?
people taking words out of context in order to challenge the entire meaning
Or people attempting to hastily backtrack when the comment they made was responded to politely?
that there is nothing to do in the game after you have everything?
Isn't there?

Oh well, I'd better not get everything - which after 7 years play, I still don't have...

Oh well, I'd better not get everything - which after 7 years play, I still don't have...
You came to the topic "how to bring players back." So there is a problem.

People write why they are leaving, these are logical reasons, and the main source of information on this topic.
If everything is fine with the game, then how come there are fewer and fewer people?
I don't understand why this resistance is happening.

I don't understand why this resistance is happening.
What resistance is that, that others are unable to agree with your perception of what is needed? That is common enough, particularly when the suggestions to 'change' are somewhat 'interesting'...

You came to the topic "how to bring players back." So there is a problem.
Is there? The game has been active for almost 10 years, players will leave as they are no longer excited, or even interested, after playing for any length of time - others will remain, plus, naturally, new players will come and go, it is just a game, not a universal panacea in gaming, some stay, some go, for whatever reason.

If everything is fine with the game, then how come there are fewer and fewer people?
See comments above...

People leave for their own reasons, why worry?

Top Bottom