How to make GalNet and the Galaxy feel alive

This account, along with many others, is registered as the owner of an in-game faction, in this case Alliance Office of Statistics.

Give these factions, specifically the forum account that "owns" the faction, the ability to post local GalNet articles to all systems that the faction has a presence in (and leave them in that system if they're pushed out later) via their forum accounts. Could be a subforum where everyone can read but only these account can post new threads, with each thread starting post being the GalNet article.

This will allow each of the thousands of player factions currently in game to write their own story line into the game. This will make each faction more visible, and when factions occupy the same systems it allows for "journalistic trash talk" or propaganda to help explain why thy are at odds with each other. This will help make the factions feel that their actions actually matter in the universe, even if it's not on a galactic scale.

Obviously this needs to be subject to controls and strict limits on what's allowed. For one thing it needs to be possible to report entries for review in-game. No unneeded profanity, no dictating what any characters outside of your own faction does, but of course allowed to report their actions and your faction's responses to them; e.g. "The President of the Alliance Office of Statistics has asked Alliance Prime Minister Edmund Mahon for assistance in fighting off a famine" is fine as it doesn't dictate any actions for a major character, but "Alliance Prime Minister Edmund Mahon has authorised assistance to the Alliance Office of Statistics to help them fight off a famine" isn't as it dictates what a major character does.

Articles should also be subject to random review by FDev to ensure that their rules aren't being broken, and when they are broken the article should be revoked with a message explaining why it's been revoked. Multiple revoked articles should result in a temporary ban in posting articles, while major infractions could result in a permanent ban for that faction (within reason, obviously). I hope the threat of losing your voice and ability to have a living, breathing and "talking" faction in game is enough of a threat to keep the serious writers in check, and if trolls start abusing the articles it's an indication that the criteria for creating a player faction in game should be improved.

This is, of course, just my first draft of this idea so to speak, and I welcome suggestions for improvement.

Such japes would result in having your privileges revoked, which should curtail it rather quickly. As for inconsistent rulings, those shouldn't really happen - swearing is easy to spot as is trying to dictate lore (at least if the moderators know what they're doing), and wouldn't need to involve a crazy amount of work for FDev - you could have board moderators do approvals with required comments about why they rejected stories.

I think instead of it getting posting in any system with a presence, it should just be an opt-in thing you select from a menu in-game, that way people can't moan about seeing stupid and/or immersion-breaking content when docking at a station.

Galnet is dead. But Galnet Gadot is hot, so I'll leave this here for you:

galnet.jpg

Hmm never read GalNet much before, couldn't see me reading mindless drivel about some player faction I will never encounter either. Would just be like that recent thread about the two warring factions throwing accusations against each other - mildly interesting to see who would tell the next big porkie - apart from that zero interest in their problems.

We used to have the ability to submit talent articles back in the day.

Folk abused it.

So now we don't.

I had quite a few issues with that back in the day, and I'll list them here:

• No feedback ever.
  • Clearly picked favourite submitters.
  • Basically identical stories could be posted for publication to local systems and only one would get posted while the rest would be ignored (see above mentioned favourites)
  • Far too often FDev broke their own guide lines and allowed submitters to write stories that dictated actions for established lore characters (here far too often means more than once).
  • Not enough people authorised to OK articles.
  • Articles were authorised far too rarely.

Once you combine these things, you end up with a massive backlash, because for some reason submitter A would be allowed all kinds of leeway, while submitters B through Z would never get the light of day despite writing equally eloquent and interesting articles.

Since my suggestion only pushes to local systems, there'd be far less backlash, because people in Sol aren't going to be reading an article about the Federation written by an Imperial with an axe to grind.

My suggestion would also make far more people able to authorise articles as well as request that they be rewritten, with comments about why. This would make far more articles available in game, and it would help solidify what is needed, why, which guidelines to follow etc. It would still be possible to have disagreements amongst the authorisers, but that would just result in people pointing out the disparities and demanding clarifications, and those clarifications would be public - in other words, guidelines would be public, auditable and easily referenced.

Having this type of thing would allow for groups to show their presence in systems in far more tangible ways than just having some influence and possibly stations. It make you want to travel around the bubble to experience new stories and follow the development of various groups. It'd give new players a reason to hook up with player groups, it'd give players a way to organise their own sort of community events without having to leave the game. Having to gather information about this stuff outside the game is annoying and frustrating. I hate that I have to point people to various websites for them to get information about various player groups, and it makes cross platform stuff so much harder - it'd be so much nicer to be able to just send them to a nearby star system and have them read the local news articles.

Then again I suppose I'm a weird kind of guy. I don't want people to leave the game to get the information they need or want.

To have them both feel alive, GalNet would have to be reporting of actual happening in the galaxy. Worse even, there would have to be something actually happening.

This IMO would make them both much more lively.

Top Bottom