How to report Notable Stellar Phenomena?

I am new to the game and I have recently discovered a new Notable Stellar Phenomena while I was out exploring. I didn't know what it was until I jumped into it...scary at first but then I knew I had to go back to the bubble to report it. Once I got back, I searched for its data in the Universal Cartographic but it wasn't there and it didn't notify me that I have discovered it. I checked the codex and went to the Proto-Lagrane clouds and under Biological and Geological; it says in my screen that it is confirmed but they didn't mention my cmdr name as the one who discovered it. Do I need to go to a Star Port or something?

Are you sure you discovered it, or did you confirm what someone else had reported?

I have yet to discover any biological phenomena, but have confirmed a couple.

Eeyup I confirmed someone's report by a cmdr named Speara. It's weird taht the location I found these clouds were different...that could only mean that even if it was in a different location, whoever reported this type is just there now.

Darn, I got excited about finding one for the past few hours haha.

You must confirm it / report it to the authority of the system, not universal cartographics. Last night I also returned from a lagrange.
Edit: probably everyone were discovered if you are near to bubble.

Last edited:
To confirm findings scan them with the composition scanner. You don't need to travel back, it happens straight away.

Edit: not stellar bodies, fss scan them. And not clouds, just travel towards their centre and they will add to the codex if new.

Last edited:
The Codex does not, unfortunately, record every single occurrence of such things. Nor does it record every single occurence of such things that you have discovered. For you, it only records the first one you have found in a Region, as "confirmation" that such things exist in that region. There's a "records" section that works for stars and planets (hottest, coolest, smallest, largest etc) that you personally have observed, but not for bio and geo objects; since all NSP objects of the same type are "the same", there are no records to break and thus no need for a records section.

In the (unlikely) event that you are actually the first person to discover a certain type of object in a Region, then and only then wil you get your name emblazoned in the Codex as the discoverer, for everyone to see. This happens immediately upon discovering the object; no need to go back to port to hand it in.

Last edited:
To confirm findings scan them with the composition scanner. You don't need to travel back, it happens straight away.

Edit: not stellar bodies, fss scan them. And not clouds, just travel towards their centre and they will add to the codex if new.

Thanks, I'll try and do that once I get back to my route

The Codex does not, unfortunately, record every single occurrence of such things. Nor does it record every single occurence of such things that you have discovered. For you, it only records the first one you have found in a Region, as "confirmation" that such things exist in that region. There's a "records" section that works for stars planets (hottest, coolest, smallest, largest etc) but not for bio and geo objects; since all NSP objects of the same type are "the same", there are no records to break and thus no need for a records section.

In the (unlikely) event that you are actually the first person to discover a certain type of object in a Region, then and only then wil you get your name emblazoned in the Codex as the discoverer, for everyone to see. This happens immediately upon discovering the object; no need to go back to port to hand it in.

I am slowly getting used to this exploration biz, thank you for this info!

Eeyup I confirmed someone's report by a cmdr named Speara. It's weird taht the location I found these clouds were different...that could only mean that even if it was in a different location, whoever reported this type is just there now.

Darn, I got excited about finding one for the past few hours haha.

Oh, I know what you mean! I did the exact same thing. Here's one thing that really did excite me. I have made several first discoveries and first mappings. However, I've never gone back out and seen any. Whilst running around the Colonia area, I ran across a nearby system which had been discovered, but no planets had been mapped. So, I did that and went and turned them in. Then, I turned around and went back out there so I could actually see my name Yeah, that thing might have been discovered by Validating, but by God I mapped the damned thing!:

First Time I Saw my Name1.jpg

First time I've seen that. I was unreasonably happy about that. LOL

The Codex does not, unfortunately, record every single occurrence of such things. Nor does it record every single occurence of such things that you have discovered. For you, it only records the first one you have found in a Region, as "confirmation" that such things exist in that region. There's a "records" section that works for stars planets (hottest, coolest, smallest, largest etc) but not for bio and geo objects; since all NSP objects of the same type are "the same", there are no records to break and thus no need for a records section.

I kind of don't really 'get' the Codex. I don't find it to be all that useful.

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
I kind of don't really 'get' the Codex. I don't find it to be all that useful.
For me its a classic case of - what the user expected - what the programmer did impement - a very big difference.
I expected to get a huge database for exploration, where all the special places are strored and shared with other cmdrs..... and I can memoryze my findings!
But we did get someting different - a mini encyclopedia, it has some use but not the one I would like to have.... so the glass is half full or half empty, you choose, but its half either way IMHO

Last edited:
For me its a classic case of - what the user expected - what the programmer did impement - a very big difference.
I expected to get a huge database for exploration, where all the special places are strored and shared with other cmdrs..... and I can memoryze my findings!
But we did get someting different - a mini encyclopedia, it has some use but not the one I would like to have.... so the glass is half full or half empty, you choose, but its half either way

It's probably also a matter of prioritization and implementing features incrementally. If I had to guess, I'd say we're seeing a portion of what it will ultimately contain.

The thing about that mini encyclopedia - I've actually used it quite a bit. As you said, I'd also rather have a huge exploration database. But, what is there is useful, too.

I do hope that the Code is just "version 1", and that there will be more to come, but only time will tell. And unfortunately, FDev tends to let major features sit stagnant for years before they improve them.

Nope. Or if there was, they were "rumoured" for only a fraction of a second before someone "reported" them. So we don;t really know how the "rumours" are supposed to work.

But we did get someting different - a mini encyclopedia, it has some use but not the one I would like to have.... so the glass is half full or half empty, you choose, but its half either way
The glass is half-arsed confirmed 😎

I am new to the game and I have recently discovered a new Notable Stellar Phenomena while I was out exploring. I didn't know what it was until I jumped into it...scary at first but then I knew I had to go back to the bubble to report it. Once I got back, I searched for its data in the Universal Cartographic but it wasn't there and it didn't notify me that I have discovered it. I checked the codex and went to the Proto-Lagrane clouds and under Biological and Geological; it says in my screen that it is confirmed but they didn't mention my cmdr name as the one who discovered it. Do I need to go to a Star Port or something?
Only the actual first discoverer gets her/his name in the codex.It will register as a (personal) first discovery for you,but you will not be credited as being 'true' discoverer unless it is genuinely a previously unknown thing.The confirmation tick confirms the existence of the thing.i.e.it has been discovered by another commander.There is no codex credit for this.

... Then, I turned around and went back out there so I could actually see my name Yeah, that thing might have been discovered by Validating, but by God I mapped the damned thing!:
You don't need to get back there physically to see your name, just call up the system in the GalMap, open the system map and check the bodies there for your name. So just keep a list of your undiscovered systems (or bookmark the more interesting ones) and check after selling the data.

Top Bottom