HTC Vive resolution and  focus

I don't think you understand what 'obligation' means. For a listed company, its not about making friends, its about being honest with the shareholders, and providing as good a return on investment as they can.

A bad reputation is bad for business - especially if you make a specialized game for hardcore fans - and want to sell them a season every year for the next decade.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I had a similar problem when I first used the vive but now it runs almost perfectly with nearly everything at max.

The main fix for me was to check nvidia, my drivers were one version behind and upgrading them made a hell of a difference :). Also I disabled sli but the titan z should work as one shouldn't it? I have no idea but as filmgeek suggested, disable any sli settings if you have them.

Last little thing I do is to lower the resolution to min on the mirror. I don't know how much it helps but it must help a bit.

My rigs quite a bit less than yours so you should be fine :D

AMD FX9590 8 core @4.7ghz
Asus crossbar v formula (quite old now)
2x 780 ti sc (one disabled for Vive, I renable for Elite 4k)
32gb 1866mhz gskill ripjaws

I'm actually very surprised how well one 780 ti does. I've been blown away by the whole experience (after day one issues like you had).

Fly safe,
Evolution

Hi. What driver version are you on now? Did you see an improvement in the picture quality or FPS?

FWIW, with 2.1 Beta 3 and the latest drivers for a slightly overclocked 970/4770/16GB rig, I can now play smoothly in space and stations with VR Low at 1.5x SS or VR High at 1.0x SS. I haven't tried planetary landings yet.

it doesnt look any different to me..have they up dated any thing for the vive and vr..is there patch notes...just checked theres nothing in the patch notes for vive and vr

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that the background starfield appears to be a wallpaper that's just a few dozen meters away? It's not really focused to infinity it seems.

Has anyone else noticed that the background starfield appears to be a wallpaper that's just a few dozen meters away? It's not really focused to infinity it seems.

Yes. And the player's avatar appears to be about 75% of normal size. Perhaps the virtual 'eyes' are located too far apart. Zac's OP mentions a focus issue, perhaps this is it.

Yes. And the player's avatar appears to be about 75% of normal size. Perhaps the virtual 'eyes' are located too far apart. Zac's OP mentions a focus issue, perhaps this is it.

Not noticed the starfield being 30 odd metres away, I had heard that mentioneh before I got my Vive, but even knowing about it I couldn't see it.

Yes on the avatar appearing about 75% of the size, it's like a skinny 4'11" person or something!

Is it not like that on the Oculus?

Last edited:
Not noticed the starfield being 30 odd metres away, I had heard that mentioneh before I got my Vive, but even knowing about it I couldn't see it.

Yes on the avatar appearing about 75% of the size, it's like a skinny 4'11" person or something!

Is it not like that on the Oculus?

I thought Eilte Lore was that spacers tended to have DNA mods in their history to better equip them for longer periods of spaceflight as 'normal' humans had difficulty. I have the Vive so it does seem odd that I'm a skinny shortie, especially when I'm a 6 foot chunky. As well as designing our faces we should be allowed to design our bodies.

Did this years back on the PSP version of golf game and managed to convince the kids the vendor had included me because it was so accurate a modeller it really looked like me!

I'm at work atm so I didn't check, but I admit I didn't try the IPD adjustment yet. Did anyone who saw this issue try this yet and see if it fixes this maybe?

The IPD adjustment wouldn't change the actual world scale look of the game, but it can help with the overall focus and sweet spot which has a knock on effect of making the 3D look more effective and as it should.
You should ideally get your IPD measured, set it and leave it for maximum comfort when viewing.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if nVidia plans to implement DSR in a new way that can support "direct to HMD" modes of the Vive and Rift? Seems like we lost a pretty valuable feature that maybe just a driver update could restore...

The IPD adjustment wouldn't change the actual world scale look of the game, but it can help with the overall focus and sweet spot which has a knock on effect of making the 3D look more effective and as it should.
You should ideally get your IPD measured, set it and leave it for maximum comfort when viewing.

If the IPD adjustment affects the "IPD" of the avatar (camera lens distance), it should change binocular based distance estimation, which could lead to perceived scale issues.

The Vive's IPD adjustment is physically adjusting the lenses in the headset. We'll need Frontier to adjust the separation on the 'cameras' in the game to correct this fairly minor issue.

Cool, so we think it's your avatar's IPD! :) My IPD is 61cm which judging from the range on the Vive is on the low side.

Can I ask why then would it look different on the Rift? Surely it's the same in-game IPD value regardless of headset.

I mean you can say the physical headsets are different, but surely the physical IPD control on the Vive can make them effectively match and weve said the physical control would not sort this.

Last edited:
Cool, so we think it's your avatar's IPD! :)

Can I ask why then would it look different on the Rift? Surely it's the same in-game IPD value regardless of headset.

I mean you can say the physical headsets are different, but surely the physical IPD control on the Vive can make them effectively match and weve said the physical control would not sort this.

It could simply be the default inter-camera distance of each SDK. Someone might want to try running the Rift under SteamVR to see if there's a difference.

Top Bottom