HTC Vive resolution and  focus

So I'm running an R9 390 I get FPS drops and stutters in stations and RES sites. I'm looking into switching to nvidia because I just can't deal with AMD anymore. I want a 1080 but cost wise a 1070 is looking more likely. Does anyone have any issues with a 1070 on.let's say VR medium to VR high?

I had a 1070 with a skylake i5 6500, if I put the interleaved and asynchronous interleaved reprojection on in the VR settings I got smooth gameplay all the time but it caps at 45fps.

I upgraded to a i7 6700 and I get a constant 80-90fps now so don't have to use reprojection anymore.

VR is very CPU intensive.

I have everything on medium and my HMD setting to 1.2 and Supersampling to 1.2
, works great.

You should install Advanced Settings for your HTC VIVE, it allows you to change loads of stuff to tweak your Vive.

Also, chaperone tweaker is awesome if you have a non square play space, I have been able to map the chaperone bounds around my desk so I don't walk into it anymore :)

So I traditionally have run 1.5 HMD Quality (pushing to 2.0 when just exploring) without AA. On a lark the other day I saw Kaii's settings for EDProfiler. 1.25HMD Quality and 4x MSAA. Which I laughed at and thought was bonkers. Then I tried it, and hot damn HUD text is clear as a daisy, even compared to my previous settings, yet strangely when I push that to 1.5 HMD it blurs out greatly. Really weird. Awesome but weird.

Bruhs.

Passenger missions in VR. Just the best. Finally an excuse to get right up next to planets and just take in the view.

If you're looking for a mission in the galaxy. I know I always am as someone who's pretty much done the lot, may I also suggest going material collecting at various volcanic tourist sites. Get some mats and see some cool crap while you're at it.

4x MSAA ?? I only see 4x MLAA....

I did that and I think it helps but I'm out to Colonia in an ASP so I can only see the difference so much.

So I traditionally have run 1.5 HMD Quality (pushing to 2.0 when just exploring) without AA. On a lark the other day I saw Kaii's settings for EDProfiler. 1.25HMD Quality and 4x MSAA. Which I laughed at and thought was bonkers. Then I tried it, and hot damn HUD text is clear as a daisy, even compared to my previous settings, yet strangely when I push that to 1.5 HMD it blurs out greatly. Really weird. Awesome but weird.
SS helps with clarity of texts. I doubt you found a hack which enables MSAA.

Guys, are you really hitting 90FPS all the time with a 1070 with SS? Are you really having no stuttering even when exiting SC near a star port or a RES? If yes, may I ask for your quality settings?

Hello guys. Today I had my first experience with the Vive and tried ED.

A bit hard to read the fonts. Looks like this thread can be resourceful. @ArachAu: do you have a screenshot of the profile so that I can try it out?

Also System Map was unusable with mouse - any ideas what I could do to solve it? Did not even try Galaxy Map after that experience. It's weird, since mouse pointing in the main menu works fine...
I solely use mouse and keyboard, so I really need this to be usable :).

A bit hard to read the fonts. Looks like this thread can be resourceful. @ArachAu: do you have a screenshot of the profile so that I can try it out?

Also System Map was unusable with mouse - any ideas what I could do to solve it? Did not even try Galaxy Map after that experience. It's weird, since mouse pointing in the main menu works fine...

I use a Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, and I use this to navigate the Galaxy Map. I know my mouse works in this as well, but I have a HOTAS, so why bother. This being said, since you have VR, you are really doing yourself an injustice if you don't have a HOTAS of some kind. Get a game chair, put a couple of bass shakers on it and place your HOTAS in the same location as it shows up in the game. Doing these things really add to the experience.

SS helps with clarity of texts. I doubt you found a hack which enables MSAA.

Guys, are you really hitting 90FPS all the time with a 1070 with SS? Are you really having no stuttering even when exiting SC near a star port or a RES? If yes, may I ask for your quality settings?

Typo of MLAA. A pox on my house.

With a 1080 I'm not getting 90FPS across the board with SS. I accept ATW in most busy or intense situations.

@ArachAu: do you have a screenshot of the profile so that I can try it out?

These are my current settings - booted it up in 2D quick to screenshot this. Not shown is HMD Quality - which is 1.25.

I welcome "Your settings are bad and you should feel bad" posts. I'm always balancing back and forth between visuals and acceptable VR performance. I'd normally run bloom as well (I like the flares from engines and the bask quality you get from stars) but it's bugged in VR right now (artefacting on the peripheral),

Make sure on your control device you have Galaxy Translate X/Y, this will give you a cursor to pan on the map and galaxy/system map. Have HUD selection and button directions bound on that device so you can select stuff. Search the VR section of the forums for galaxy map. This has come up literally a million times. This is a very old video (April 2016, and much as changed since then...) explaining how I use the maps in VR, which is pretty much the same as how I do now.

Also get a joystick, or at least a 360 pad, you're a a goddamn VR headset futureman! You can afford it.

Last edited:

A bit hard to read the fonts. Looks like this thread can be resourceful. @ArachAu: do you have a screenshot of the profile so that I can try it out?.
Try using greenish HUD colors, since Vive and Rift have more green pixels. Supersampling helps a lot, but it's a performance killer.

These are my current settings - booted it up in 2D quick to screenshot this. Not shown is HMD Quality - which is 1.25.

I welcome "Your settings are bad and you should feel bad" posts. I'm always balancing back and forth between visuals and acceptable VR performance. I'd normally run bloom as well (I like the flares from engines and the bask quality you get from stars) but it's bugged in VR right now (artefacting on the peripheral)
Shadow Quality is a real GPU performance killer, as well as Ambient Occlusion. Terrain Material Quality should be only planetary textures, IIRC. Maybe someone can prove this. Terrain Quality is also quite demanding overall, but only on planets.

Thank you guys for your replies.
@CMDR Bosco One: HOTAS will be a problem of place on my desk (Keyboard still would need to be there for typing after all). Mouse and Keyboard controls also have their pros, they are really effective and I can also write text messages without any bigger movements. Bass shakers sounds really interesting - I'll keep it in my head for future ventures.

@CMDR ArachAu: Thanks I tried out your settings. They are good. I still modified them a little, instead of Blur and Anti Aliasing I went for HMD quality 2.0. This makes the edges smoother, although the fonts at places can profit from the sharper appearance of your settings. Let's see how performance goes in busier places.

Okay, I'll look through the threads about galaxy and system map problems - hopefully I find a solution.
I can pan alright with keyboard or mouse - that wasn't my problem. The problem I sadly ran into is that the interface does not overlay correctly, imo. Here's a screenshot: Example. The popup for the belt lines up to a totally different place than where it actually is. The HUD at the side also is angled very weirdly. Even after centering the view of the Vive it stays like that. Technically it should not a problem to code it in a way that kind of projects an "invisible line" from the center of the headset through the mouse pointer that you can check for collision with the objects on screen for selection. The same thing could be done with the misplaced hud element from my screenshot.

@CMDR B1rdy: doesn't changing hud colors also alter the appearance of avatars in the menus?

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your replies.

@CMDR ArachAu: Thanks I tried out your settings. They are good. I still modified them a little, instead of Blur and Anti Aliasing I went for HMD quality 2.0. This makes the edges smoother, although the fonts at places can profit from the sharper appearance of your settings. Let's see how performance goes in busier places.

one person more with wise HTC Vive settings :) [up]

Last edited:
Even with a Titan X or the upcoming GTX 1080Ti, your computer won't hit 90FPS on planets, star ports, RES, even on lowest settings.

@CMDR B1rdy: doesn't changing hud colors also alter the appearance of avatars in the menus?
Not for certain color settings. There should be a thread here on the forums and on reddit about this.

I see. First I had only tried it in space and it went fine. On planets... another story. So tuned it down, till it was fluent. Still got dizzy from rolling to much near a surface or rolling in the SRV. Let's see if I can get used to that :D.

Even with a Titan X or the upcoming GTX 1080Ti, your computer won't hit 90FPS on planets, star ports, RES, even on lowest settings.
For a Vive that may be so but for the Rift I get 90fps in VR high everywhere (according to Afterburner anyway). Is the Vive still in need of some love from Frontier in terms of compatibility in Elite?

It is annoying though as my Vive (which I've not used since last year) seemed like a much more capable HMD but since I use VR primarily for Elite the Oculus wins. Was thinking of giving the Vive another go but not if it hasn't seen some fixes.

Last edited:
....I get 90fps in VR high everywhere (according to Afterburner anyway)...

Not familiar with this "Afterburner", but as always has to be asked; Is this 90fps rendered by the game, or 90fps after ATW/ASW has done their thing (approximating a new frame, based on the last real one and your head movement since it was created (...and derived motion vectors between the last two frames, in the case of ASW))?

If you can't tell the difference, then fine enough - the extrapolators do a fantastic job, especially often in Elite, when you are in space and do not have anything animating close up, so that even fast-moving objects creep few pixels per second, making a framerate drop much less apparent); Although, however ingenious, the algorithms can't work magic and do produce graphical artefacts.

Last edited:
Man, I'm a bit slumped. I surely hoped my GTX 1070 with slight overclock (out of the box) and i5 6600k (not overclocked, yet) would be able to handle low VR quality settings at the stations / planets / res sites. Even when I dial down HMD quality to something like 0.75x, there will be places with slight stutter (granted, there I could activate reprojection to smooth over it), but then the image quality is... not very favorable ^^.
I'll probably be playing a lot on my monitor again.

For a Vive that may be so but for the Rift I get 90fps in VR high everywhere (according to Afterburner anyway). Is the Vive still in need of some love from Frontier in terms of compatibility in Elite?

It is annoying though as my Vive (which I've not used since last year) seemed like a much more capable HMD but since I use VR primarily for Elite the Oculus wins. Was thinking of giving the Vive another go but not if it hasn't seen some fixes.

I think he meant 90 fps in 2.0x HMD render target. No matter how low you set the other details, it will probably be no consistent 90 fps in higher detailled places.

Last edited:

So you are saying the performance with Rift is massively higher?

I think he meant 90 fps in 2.0x HMD render target. No matter how low you set the other details, it will probably be no consistent 90 fps in higher detailled places.
Yes, it's impossible to archive 90FPS with 2xSSAA everywhere in ED with the Vive.

so me and my Vive don't like too munch new beta 2.3 , the same settings (steam vr 2.0, ss 1.0, low shadows , no AA no ambient, high settings ) geting 10~15 fps less in all situations in game, unlpayable for me, and there is no separate visual quality settings for so called Holo-Me... Waiting for gtx 1080 ti now

Top Bottom