HTC Vive resolution and  focus

Anyone know what, if any, benefit adding a second GPU might have on any of the graphics settings discussed thus far that could help improve resolution and visual quality?

In SteamVR Settings->Applications you can select Elite Dangerous and increase the "SuperSampling". I have mine at 300% and it seems to be ok.

Well we never did get a solution for this, its still not very good with aliasing.

Yeah, kinda sad that in Beta, it still looked better than it does now. Only difference is, we can force it with the better graphics cards on the market. A few folks even said it was when they added occulus support, I guess FDev decided 'one fits all' ? even though they both work a little differently.

I think its been a year since I was in this thread. lol.

Soooo, just got a Vive for Christmas today. Took a quick look and realized I needed to make adjustments. Has this been fixed since the above post back in June?

Hi everyone,

We’ve had a number of people mentioning that their experience in the HTC Vive is not as sharp or contains resolution/focus issues which are specific to aliasing.

We wanted to post up a quick update on our progress relating to these issues and keep you informed.

We’re implementing a fix shortly which will improve the quality of focus on the UI which we hope will significantly improve the readability. We are continuing to work on additional anti-aliasing techniques and hope to be able to share more news on these improvements soon.

We understand the frustration that this can cause and we truly appreciate your patience while we continue to work on additional fixes.

Thanks

Zac

Much appreciated! The Vive has breathed new life into the game for me and any attention given to ver in general (and Vive optimisations specifically) are very welcomed!
Edit: lol! Just noticed how old this thread is I responded to. O boy.

Last edited:
Much appreciated! The Vive has breathed new life into the game for me and any attention given to ver in general (and Vive optimisations specifically) are very welcomed!
Edit: lol! Just noticed how old this thread is I responded to. O boy.

Yea, I shook the dust off this one. Needed to see if maybe there had been some updates or new setting suggestions.

Haven't adjusted my Vive settings since the old days, because it's still working well. I've seen some stuttering recently, mostly when entering witchspace, so perhaps it could use some tweaking. Be interested to hear what settings others are using. GTX 1070 & i7-7700K.

Yea, I shook the dust off this one. Needed to see if maybe there had been some updates or new setting suggestions.

I would check out the Super Sampling and Target Render settings, as well as any of the new blendy thing the Vive has (similar in concept to the Rifts ASW). Extreme levels of SS aren't needed 200% should be the max you put to as levels above this aren't really noticeable at all. Target Render Multiplier, I've read that it has little performance hits, so crank that higher and see if things get clearer.

Thank you. I've been looking all over the forums and youtube to find info. Next forum search will be for voice attack! Lol

I would check out the Super Sampling and Target Render settings, as well as any of the new blendy thing the Vive has (similar in concept to the Rifts ASW). Extreme levels of SS aren't needed 200% should be the max you put to as levels above this aren't really noticeable at all. Target Render Multiplier, I've read that it has little performance hits, so crank that higher and see if things get clearer.
I don't know, what you are referring to by "Target Render Multiplier", but the only two options important to get a clearer image and a bit of anti-aliasing is either in-game HMD resolution or SteamVR supersampling. With a frame rate target of 90 FPS and some headroom, 1.5 supersampling (in ED) or 225% resolution scale (SteamVR) is realistic for an overclocked 1080Ti. You need to turn most settings on low or med nontheless, keep texture quality on high, AA, bloom, DOF and motion blur off. It might help to set the process priority of ED to high.
With the December update to SteamVR reprojection settings are limited, you can only either activate always-on reprojection or interleaved and asychronous reprojection. The former provides some CPU headroom, but needs 90 Fps otherwise you will notice stuttering, the latter (in combination) will work best on weaker systems to prevent stuttering. But interleaved reprojection will reduce your Fps to 45 and interpolate the rest of the frames. I favour asynchronous reprojection only for ED, since it causes only a small performance hit, but smoothes out small framedrops below 90 Fps. You need an older SteamVR version, however. With the current version always-on repro in combination with motion smoothing might be a good compromise.

Top Bottom