Huge drop in fps and poor quality.

I started playing Odyssey yesterday, I didn't expect such poor performance, I have the same settings as always, 3840x2160-4K with all settings at ultra where I always exceeded 60 fps before this update.
Until Horizon it was very fluid, no graphical artifacts and qualitatively it was wonderful, but now in Odyssey I was shocked when as soon as I entered the game I saw a sharp drop in fps, there is also too much Aliasing despite being always set to maximum, both in indoors and outdoors, changing the aliasing settings doesn't change anything, not even restarting the game.
It is undeniable that it is a code problem in the game's engine despite being an engine that is now too old but that previously worked perfectly, but these problems had to be solved before the release of this expansion, I am absolutely not willing to lower the graphic details to increase performance by making the title visually worse than it is at present with the settings I have always used.
I said to myself:
Ok, I will avoid playing Odyssey and I only play Horizon, but I discovered that the problem is present here too now, nothing works anymore.
Odyssey was released on May 19-2021, and after more than a year nothing has been fixed?
What is the goal of the developers regarding all the technical problems that many other players also mention on Steam?
It is not possible that the Dev's were unaware of all this prior to release and this is absolutely not acceptable for a paid product and with paid extra content.
This update he practically broke the game engine.

At the moment the update seems to be very hit and miss, alot of people are complaining (including me) about the massive drop in performance and quality, however there are many people who are praising the update to be better than 3.8. At first I believed it to be my machine (as its seen better days) but I then read about people with pretty much the latest GPU's and CPU's are also suffering big issues.

For me going back to 3.8 worked well, I am yet to discover any problems with 3.8 after my brief and frustrating experience with 4.0. My biggest concern is where this is going to end up.

Devs do not play this game. They work on it as software in their "issues tracker", and that's it. I believe some of them never saw even a screenshot of what they are doing.
Lol, no dev in the word play the game they work on. Why would they spend their free time on the thing they work on during the day? Especially when you see some of the ingratitude in response.

Last edited:
Well ... I had like 20-25 fps inside my carrier last 2 weeks. Yday I made linux upgrade ( I play on linux), it was installed latest core and nvidia drivers. Now I have 60 fps capped on carrier. Everything else is same.

Only 1 problem remains for a year. If I get into station concourse, running there, talking NPC, then back to ship hangar - it makes 20 fps on foot there and in station menus.
2 options to fix - fly away, or game complete restart. Still can't find really good workaround for this one.

Lol, no dev in the word play the game they work on. Why would they spend their free-time on the thing they work on during the day? Especially when you see some of the ingratitude in response.
Wished I could apply that line of thinking to my job lol.
Re-wires house
"Urgh, I've been doing this all day every day for years, I wont test what I've done as its surely going to be okay"
House burns down
0i21ur4fl1x11.png

You people seem surpirsed? Didn't you read the forums since ody 'release' ?
It takes at least a 3080ti to run a ground combat zones with 40+ fps. We complaining about this since ody released.
Lies. My 2060 and 3050 run some close to 60. 1050 was doing like 20.
However, SOME exact places have low fps. So basically you can come close to settlement and see if this exact one doing ok or bad. I think it is related to surroundings somehow, for example, if it has flowers near it - that will make fps lower.

I had one settlement where I was trading for 3 weeks, it had 8 fps when looking outside window in habitat. Then it was fixed in some patch later.

Lies. My 2060 and 3050 run some close to 60. 1050 was doing like 20.
However, SOME exact places have low fps. So basically you can come close to settlement and see if this exact one doing ok or bad. I think it is related to surroundings somehow, for example, if it has flowers near it - that will make fps lower.

I had one settlement where I was trading for 3 weeks, it had 8 fps when looking outside window in habitat. Then it was fixed in some patch later.
8 FPS... thanks for arresting my point. Where was i lying?

Btw, i manage to get 40+ fps in heavy ground cz, with an 1080. Yes most of the people have bad running system, but not all.

8 FPS... thanks for arresting my point. Where was i lying?
Then it was fixed in some patch later.

You stripped the ending.

It takes at least a 3080ti to run a ground combat zones with 40+ fps

That is the lie. I get 40 with worse cards.

This game is very sensitive to surrounding configuration and running tasks. For example yourtube in google chrome will drop FPS greatly if running on same GPU, but it is OK when 2 GPUs used like in gaming laptop.
Btw, discord/slack and countless others use chrome as basement. This means ...when you have nice previews in chat there - it uses GPU and drops FPS. I run steam in "--no-browser" mode to save most GPU for the game.

Last edited:
I started playing Odyssey yesterday, I didn't expect such poor performance, I have the same settings as always, 3840x2160-4K with all settings at ultra where I always exceeded 60 fps before this update.
Until Horizon it was very fluid, no graphical artifacts and qualitatively it was wonderful, but now in Odyssey I was shocked when as soon as I entered the game I saw a sharp drop in fps, there is also too much Aliasing despite being always set to maximum, both in indoors and outdoors, changing the aliasing settings doesn't change anything, not even restarting the game.
It is undeniable that it is a code problem in the game's engine despite being an engine that is now too old but that previously worked perfectly, but these problems had to be solved before the release of this expansion, I am absolutely not willing to lower the graphic details to increase performance by making the title visually worse than it is at present with the settings I have always used.
I said to myself:
Ok, I will avoid playing Odyssey and I only play Horizon, but I discovered that the problem is present here too now, nothing works anymore.
Odyssey was released on May 19-2021, and after more than a year nothing has been fixed?
What is the goal of the developers regarding all the technical problems that many other players also mention on Steam?
It is not possible that the Dev's were unaware of all this prior to release and this is absolutely not acceptable for a paid product and with paid extra content.
This update he practically broke the game engine.
Just stick to H3.8. It's the better game. :)

You people seem surpirsed? Didn't you read the forums since ody 'release' ?
It takes at least a 3080ti to run a ground combat zones with 40+ fps. We complaining about this since ody released.
Not true, I have a 1080ti (bought in 2017) and run on-foot CZ in 4K (FSR) 40-60FPS since last Dec.

The poor performances of on-foot CZ are not so much due to GPU, it's the engine itself that struggles (and sometime the CPU).
It's a misconception to think that you need those high-end cards for OD. You'll obtain the same perf with a card from 2017 than with a 3080ti.

Edit1: In short, what I meant is that on-foot CZ FPS is capped at ~55FPS, whatever your hardware, old or recent.

Edit2: Also the good news is that it's theoretically improvable by FDev, if they keep on putting the work.

Last edited:
You stripped the ending.

That is the lie. I get 40 with worse cards.

This game is very sensitive to surrounding configuration and running tasks. For example yourtube in google chrome will drop FPS greatly if running on same GPU, but it is OK when 2 GPUs used like in gaming laptop.
Btw, discord/slack and countless others use chrome as basement. This means ...when you have nice previews in chat there - it uses GPU and drops FPS. I run steam in "--no-browser" mode to save most GPU for the game.

Not gonna argue with you here.

But calling me a lyier is childish, when you know that it takes a real beef machine to achive more than 40fps in a heavy situation.

Anyway, what's your hardware config?
getting 60 fps in 4k in a 8 years old game (Horizons) it not something to be very proud off

Not gonna argue with you here.

But calling me a lyier is childish, when you know that it takes a real beef machine to achive more than 40fps in a heavy situation.
Yeh, classical moves from propaganda tvs. NVM. I'm not going to argue too. Just left my post, so once others will read your emotional post they can see my response, that in reality is not so bad.

Yeh, classical moves from propaganda tvs. NVM. I'm not going to argue too. Just left my post, so once others will read your emotional post they can see my response, that in reality is not so bad.
Ok!

edit: the not going to argue which you was meant as an aknoledgment to your case which all the task running in the background. But your entitlement keeps me from finding you a fun guy (which doesnt matter anyway)

Last edited:
Gotta chime in.

Yes

It does take a powerful PC to run Odyssey full tilt.
That's a fact. Especially in VR.
And devs do play. But their obviously playing on beefy pcs. If I was a dev my pc would be cutting edge.
And there lies the problem.
Min specs etc are not realistic for Odyssey. Never were.

Back
Top Bottom