Spoilers I don't think frontier intended to reveal this.

Again, it isn't consistent with what we see in game seeing as some of Ram Tah's translation's contradict themselves. There's a massive what if with the exiles. Also, yet again, he's hardly going to drop a massive spoiler by saying "Yeah, these guys you think are extinct aren't".

We simply cannot say for certain in game, and that's the crux of the matter.

Ok, I take your point, but equally, how much can we say for certain in-game?

Galnet isn't a source of certainty, it's a source of PF approved info. Other sources of info in-game have changed. Sources are all dubious.

And with the Guardian stuff, I'm most definitely not saying what's in game is consistent, as it certainly doesn't appear to be - Melville and Ram Tah certainly seem to contradict each other.

I'm not sure there's that much contradiction within Ram Tah's info though. Sure if you treat every set of the data as independent and parallel, then yeah, there's contradiction, but equally they're not independent and parallel.

Regardless of the few discrepancies, is there actually anything that contradicts what DB said?

The exiles stuff is all consistent with what DB said, unless you take the view that the rapidly increasing development they had already started experiencing stopped completely post-exile and they didn't change over a million years or two. And wouldn't that view be much more far fetched than what DB said being correct?

And yeah, I don't think DB would drop a massive spoiler like that - but I think he would say something that's technically correct but leaves open a variety of possibilities, which is what I think he's done.

*scratches head*

Why do some people feel the need to insist that, because Braben said something in an interview a long time ago, that he MUST be kept to his word, and that all other possibilities are impossible?

Answer: Because they're small-minded and petty and have no real argument to support their trolling.

What David Braben has said, time and time again, is that Elite is an evolving and growing game universe; evolving over time. That seems to be the only solid "lore" around the game's development.

Ultimately Mr. Braben can't win.

Whinging children whine about what Braben said then, when changes are made based on player feedback, they whine and moan about that. How can any FD people do much more than ignore the trolls and cherry pick the positive feedback?

FD can't win when there are so many pathetic and childish trolls on these boards.

Even if some Guardians did survive the extinction of their species, at least a million years have passed since then... Plenty of time to go extinct again, or to have evolved (naturally or not) into something else, but most likely a Guardian met today wouldn't be the same as a Guardian met 1 million years ago.
All of which would constitute the original Guardians being extinct, so aren't we all generally all more or less agreed on this except for some possible semantics on the use of the word extinct?

The only possibilities I see would be an AI or some sort of data stored consciousness, or that the surviving exiles eventually turned themselves into what we know today as Thargoids. But all that is just theory with little to no evidence. If we stick to the facts and what we actually know, they have been extinct for at least a million years and nothing more.
There's other possibilities (and like I said in one of the previous posts I think there's been signs and portents :) ). I've always thought the evidence is all against the possibility of the exiles becoming the Thargoids tbh - massively different biology, tech not having advanced noticeably in several million years, experts in biological warfare being beaten by biological warfare, etc. (And when I say beaten, I mean having lost a small border skirmish ;) )

On the O and K subject, I already made a statement earlier in this thread (and all over the forums for the past three months ^^ ), and that "leaked" screenshot doesn't show "O space" and "K space", but just "Thargoids"... People need to stop bringing this theory out when every new tidbit of info is ignoring it. Yes they exist in lore, and so far they are just lore, something you read when you want to be told some stories about the Elite universe but that doesn't affect gameplay or player experience. Maybe I'll be proved wrong at a later date, but for now this a truth that no one should ignore.
Lore in this sense generally means info that's correct though. So for example, nothing from the previous games is lore unless it's been confirmed within the ED universe. That confirmation within the ED universe is also subject to retcons.

A key thing here is that in ED (via multiples sources), Thargoid is just a name given by humans.

Thargoids are just what people have labelled Thargoids. Thargoid territory is just territory that which we consider as belonging to whatever we've labelled Thargoids.

The existence of Oresrians and Klaxians is certainly consistent with that.

All of which would constitute the original Guardians being extinct, so aren't we all generally all more or less agreed on this except for some possible semantics on the use of the word extinct?

I think we do, I am just trying to cover most possibilities in a single sentence ^^

There's other possibilities (and like I said in one of the previous posts I think there's been signs and portents :) ). I've always thought the evidence is all against the possibility of the exiles becoming the Thargoids tbh - massively different biology, tech not having advanced noticeably in several million years, experts in biological warfare being beaten by biological warfare, etc. (And when I say beaten, I mean having lost a small border skirmish ;) )

Sure indeed, As I said it was just what I could imagine while writing, and without any evidence, again just pointing out that there are many possibilities.

Lore in this sense generally means info that's correct though. So for example, nothing from the previous games is lore unless it's been confirmed within the ED universe. That confirmation within the ED universe is also subject to retcons.

It can be correct, I agreed that they do exist in Lore. But the idea I defend here is that as long as Lore has no effect on the gameplay (ie no thargoid fighting other thargoid, or one of them asking for help, etc ) then it's just nice stories, or as I like to say Backstories, entertaining but an empty shell and without consequence.

A key thing here is that in ED (via multiples sources), Thargoid is just a name given by humans.

Thargoids are just what people have labelled Thargoids. Thargoid territory is just territory that which we consider as belonging to whatever we've labelled Thargoids.

The existence of Oresrians and Klaxians is certainly consistent with that.

All that is true, but as long as nothing in-game points to it, the idea that we are fighting either O or K RIGHT NOW in-game is pure theory with not a single proof. We're not even sure if the ships we fight are Ships, actual Thargoids, drones or Flying Barnacles. Immediately thinking that they are one of the factions we already heard about, when there could be hundreds of factions for all we know, is quite the shortcut. And, mostly, a claim without proof, therefore a simple theory, no more valid than any other, and with more dents in it as time and revelations passes.

I guess we mostly agree, but I try to keep all possibilities open and not just following a single theory. It all started because I was getting mad at people making grand theories based on "we know O and K are here"; no we don't know, that's just a guess for the time being ;)

Last edited:
It can be correct, I agreed that they do exist in Lore. But the idea I defend here is that as long as Lore has no effect on the gameplay (ie no thargoid fighting other thargoid, or one of them asking for help, etc ) then it's just nice stories, or as I like to say Backstories, entertaining but an empty shell and without consequence.

Yes it's mostly backstories. There's not much of actual in-game storytelling other than the Tourist Beacons and GalNet news. There aren't lore missions with a narrative yet.

All that is true, but as long as nothing in-game points to it, the idea that we are fighting either O or K RIGHT NOW in-game is pure theory with not a single proof. We're not even sure if the ships we fight are Ships, actual Thargoids, drones or Flying Barnacles. Immediately thinking that they are one of the factions we already heard about, when there could be hundreds of factions for all we know, is quite the shortcut. And, mostly, a claim without proof, therefore a simple theory, no more valid than any other, and with more dents in it as time and revelations passes.

I guess we mostly agree, but I try to keep all possibilities open and not just following a single theory. It all started because I was getting mad at people making grand theories based on "we know O and K are here"; no we don't know, that's just a guess for the time being ;)

Right, we don't know for certain that the Thargoids we've encountered are Oresrians or Klaxians, but we know that there are two dynasties, based on the official lore. Maybe there are more dynasties and the ones we've encountered are different. So based on the established lore we assume they are either O or K.

What David Braben has said, time and time again, is that Elite is an evolving and growing game universe; evolving over time. That seems to be the only solid "lore" around the game's development.

Ultimately Mr. Braben can't win.

Braben most likely checks what's being developed and approves what gets added to Elite Dangerous.

Last edited:
I think we do, I am just trying to cover most possibilities in a single sentence ^^
Great! :)

Sure indeed, As I said it was just what I could imagine while writing, and without any evidence, again just pointing out that there are many possibilities.
Cool, fair enough! :)

Fair enough! And yeah, it's kind of difficult to tell if there's likely to be consequences, especially given the murky nature of the lore. On which:

All, fair points. And book-wise, the lore's actually pretty unclear anyway, as in many cases strictly speaking the lore's that a character said something, and there's no telling whether those characters are being truthful, and whether they're even correctly informed in the first place.

Yeah, agreed, possibilities should be kept open. (And then things dealt with in terms of relative probabilities.) :)

So, just for the lolz, here's something from the last stream summery:

Material traders will appear in the Human Bubble, Colonia and Pleiades regions at economies types listed above.

Are there any other bubbles in the beta? :)

Material traders will appear in the Human Bubble, Colonia and Pleiades regions at economies types listed above.

Hopefully we will see tomorrow...

They have always called it the Human Bubble well before any alien stuff appeared

Last edited:
Galaxy Map: Filters added for Thargoid & Guardian sites

That's all? I knew people were overhyping this lol. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
True, but that's not quite the same as overhyping it.

Depends on your interpretation. :p

Oh wow, this could mean so many things...

Could the paid content be Thargoid and Guardian sectors that get unlocked with stations to visit and relationships to build?

Beyond is already beyond my expectations and we are just getting started.

I'd still like dockable Thargoid and Guardian stations (if you're friendly).

Last edited:
Top Bottom