I don't understand how the codex works....

Tried looking at the docs and they were no help.

So far this morning I found an earth-like world (with no previously discovered tag) that says was added to the codex and a green gas giant that says it was added to the codex. When I look at the codex I don't see my name against anything.

I see a confirmed location which I think was the system, but my name is not against it. Does it not have a Confirmed by field? I can see a reported by entry for someone called doug 2kly away.

Completely confused.

My understanding is it gives you lots of in game information about factions, people, locations and aliens etc.

When someone makes a discovery and sells data at a station this then also goes into the Codex so other players can see. So for example if you discover a new Thargoid location, base, ship or object the location goes in the codex so other commanders can see where and are able to go and investigate etc.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The Codex doesn't display you First Discovered things. What it does is tell you if you have discovered a certain type of star/planet and how many of each. It also tells you the system where you have discovered the biggest/smallest/hottest/coldest etc.

Reported ones are so you know where one is that you can go visit and scan yourself, that someone else has sold the data for.

Rumoured ones are simply that :)

Ok, so only when i sell back to the station will it appear in the codex? (I am about 3kly out so nowhere near a station)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ok, so only when i sell back to the station will it appear in the codex? (I am about 3kly out so nowhere near a station)

Nope. And that's another quirky thing about it.

You will only be given the credits and the first discovered bonus when you sell the data at a station. Entries will appear in the codex as soon as you discover them.

IixArN1h.jpg

LnSftqZh.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think they do appear in the codex as soon as you discover them, as I was in game a few hours this evening along with i would image thousands of other players and the codex did not change at all, if the codex is based on only selling your data, then that's a lame idea by frontier, and a lazy one at that, as they could of put the codex in when they released the Da** thing, just another lazy design approach by the looks of things....

I don't understand the Codex either and, frankly, life's too short.

When somebody writes a guide or posts a youtube video I'll read/watch it.

For me, the big "litmus test" will be if I can open up the Codex and use it to find all the special POI's I've visited, so I can delete a bunch of my bookmarks.

I don't think they do appear in the codex as soon as you discover them, as I was in game a few hours this evening along with i would image thousands of other players and the codex did not change at all, if the codex is based on only selling your data, then that's a lame idea by frontier, and a lazy one at that, as they could of put the codex in when they released the Da** thing, just another lazy design approach by the looks of things....

Yeah I think it's bugged, or maybe I just don't understand it. Every time I scan something new, it says it's been discovered by a different commander.

I'm not that fussed (I explore for my own goals to be honest and not for credits or glory) but maybe someone from FDev could come on here at some point and explain what it is we're supposed to be looking at.

It doesn't look like the codex record is updating when you find (for example) a hotter star of a type you've already found, which rather defeats the purpose of having a record.

Also, the location for planets is just the system in which they were found, which considering there can easily be more than one of the same type in that system is a bit odd.

I think its there to help players understand what and where things have been discovered in addition to your own discoveries.

This really helps players catch up on things but it also arguably reveals stuff players might have wanted to discover for themselves particularly if they like solo mode. Its actually growing on me if I'm honest I can see why its there.

i think i got how it works now. im in Norma arm atm. it shows me a list of what other players have 'reported' there, and if another player or yourself has 'confirmed' that report by seeing the same thing or by landing there.

for example; i was in FSS and scanned an ice body which had water geysers. thats added to my codex as 'reported' - then i landed and went and scanned with the composition scanner in my scarab SRV. then it appears in codex as CONFIRMED underneath. MY reports in codex have NO name attached. and it only seems to dshow reports for the galaxy REGION you're in (Norma Arm etc rather than say FLoarps etc etc). so you can see what someone else in the region has reported - i assume after they sold their codex vouchers or whatever they are called - and confirm it by landing and going to see if they only reported it, or just sightseeing if they also confirmed it.

so its like a list of 'look what stuff i found' which others can access for POI i guess when you sell it at a station, and it rewards you for confirming others reports. idk if it adds things like stars and planets - strikes me that could get very confusing very fast but then again it does add geological biological features so... maybe its also a running total of the composition of places commanders have visited in each area.

i think i got how it works now. im in Norma arm atm. it shows me a list of what other players have 'reported' there, and if another player or yourself has 'confirmed' that report by seeing the same thing or by landing there.

for example; i was in FSS and scanned an ice body which had water geysers. thats added to my codex as 'reported' - then i landed and went and scanned with the composition scanner in my scarab SRV. then it appears in codex as CONFIRMED underneath. MY reports in codex have NO name attached. and it only seems to dshow reports for the galaxy REGION you're in (Norma Arm etc rather than say FLoarps etc etc). so you can see what someone else in the region has reported - i assume after they sold their codex vouchers or whatever they are called - and confirm it by landing and going to see if they only reported it, or just sightseeing if they also confirmed it.

so its like a list of 'look what stuff i found' which others can access for POI i guess when you sell it at a station, and it rewards you for confirming others reports. idk if it adds things like stars and planets - strikes me that could get very confusing very fast but then again it does add geological biological features so... maybe its also a running total of the composition of places commanders have visited in each area.
'Confirmed' is for what you have personally found. Reported is the first example found by anyone in that Region.

So in the example you're giving there's several things.

The Icy Body:

- If this is the first one anyone has found in the Region, then it will show as Reported with your name and the location and date. This will be in everyone's Codex.

- If it's just the first you have found then you will see someone else's discovery for 'Reported' and the details of your find will be under 'Confirmed'. There won;t be a name against Confirmed, because it's always you.

- If it's not the first you've found, then it should only get added to the Codex if it's a personal record (record's being biggest, smallest, hottest, coldest, etc). This was bugged in Beta though, and I've not tested and confirmed whether its' working properly in 3.3 yet.

The Water Geysers:

- As above except the Records.

For any particular thing in the Codex there may also be multiple varieties. For terrestrial planets, there's usually two varieties - non-terraformable and terraformable. For Biological and Geological things there can be quite a few varieties. Each variety has can be Reported and Confirmed.

The Codex updates should happen at the time of scanning the thing in question.

No, it is added immediately. Maybe FD isnt lazy

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think it's bugged, or maybe I just don't understand it. Every time I scan something new, it says it's been discovered by a different commander.

I'm not that fussed (I explore for my own goals to be honest and not for credits or glory) but maybe someone from FDev could come on here at some point and explain what it is we're supposed to be looking at.

Look, the codex is for you. It tells you where you discovered something for the first time, regardless of whether others seen it before. That 'competition' is what the tags are for, and you get them when selling the data.

The first time you scan an ELW it goes in the codex. Were you the first to scan that specific ELW? Sell it and get the tags. The codex has nothing to do with first discoveries, or listibg everything you found. It is a list of every known thing in each sector, and lusts how many of these things you found yourself. It finally lists some noteworthy examples (largest elw, hottest elw etc).

Last edited:
Tried looking at the docs and they were no help.

So far this morning I found an earth-like world (with no previously discovered tag) that says was added to the codex and a green gas giant that says it was added to the codex. When I look at the codex I don't see my name against anything.

I see a confirmed location which I think was the system, but my name is not against it. Does it not have a Confirmed by field? I can see a reported by entry for someone called doug 2kly away.

Completely confused.
OP, ‘Confirmed’ is for you personally. No one else sees that stuff. Hence there’s no name against it as it’s only for your stuff.

’Reported’ is across the entire playerbase, and it only shows the very first discovery of something by anyone (in a given region). As it’s across the playerbase, it shows the name of the player that made that discovery.

Also, this is all just for discoveries in 3.3. Pre-3.3 discoveries don’t seem to have been carried through into the Codex.

Hope that clears things up a bit! o7

Look, the codex is for you. It tells you where you discovered something for the first time, regardless of whether others seen it before. That 'competition' is what the tags are for, and you get them when selling the data.

The first time you scan an ELW it goes in the codex. Were you the first to scan that specific ELW? Sell it and get the tags. The codex has nothing to do with first discoveries, or listibg everything you found. It is a list of every known thing in each sector, and lusts how many of these things you found yourself. It finally lists some noteworthy examples (largest elw, hottest elw etc).

Sorry but that doesn't clarify things at all, at least not for me, thanks for trying though.

Nope. And that's another quirky thing about it.

You will only be given the credits and the first discovered bonus when you sell the data at a station. Entries will appear in the codex as soon as you discover them.

Err.. so if I find an ELW, that goes straight into the Codex with it's location for everyone to see, before I get to sell the data at a station???

If so, that seems really contradictory - somehow a discovery is magically broadcast into a universal Codex immediately, but we don't get the credits until that discovery is sold at a UCarto site??

Top Bottom