I don’t want Odyssey, can I stay with Horizons for now?

I Pre-Purchased Odyssey as I’ve done for every other release. I’ve not even started up Odyssey yet for more than a few reasons. I’m rebuilding after purchasing Virpil Hotas to replace my elderly CH Products. I’m learning my way again and Horizons is a helluva lot more forgiving than you all state Odyssey currently is, so I can wait for now and just read reports on here.

I’m also NOT particularly interested in any on foot PewPew. I’m happy to have the flying experience enhanced, pick up all the missions I want from my cockpit and ONLY to leave my ship for a change of scenery.
I’ve seen a YouTube submission that suggests ALL mission interactions will be on foot, not my cup of tea at all. I don’t want any of you to miss out on what you want from the game but don’t force me or anyone else to do anything we don’t want to…..that’s not fun, and that’s what Games are supposed to be.

I’ll remain with Horizons for as long as I can. It gives me most of what I want. I’m happy to continually buy upgrade releases if they enhance my preferred experience - better graphics, ships, Power Play, atmospheric landings etc….but that’s all I require, along with maintains my VR experience whilst flying my ships.

Frontier, continue to give me the experience I want and I will happily shovel money to you at each upgrade. Force me to play in a manner I don’t wish to, somebody else gets the loot.

Don’t talk baloney. I’m happy with Horizons being improved, I’m happy with moving about my ship - if that ever happens - I don’t want any PewPew, I’ve got Halo and Destiny for that fix. Point is you play the game your way, I don’t care…..I don’t want to force you to play my way and expect the same from you.

”Blackmail FD” sheesh, hope you don’t work in Law.

I’ve seen a YouTube submission that suggests ALL mission interactions will be on foot, not my cup of tea at all. I don’t want any of you to miss out on what you want from the game but don’t force me or anyone else to do anything we don’t want to…
to enter foot mode you need to own ED:O. if you only own the base game ED which now includes horizons then you dont get any foot mode

even fDev in one of their twitch feeds on ED:O said you can continue to interact with missions and everything else from your cockpit if you so choose. i guess that could change down the road however you would still need to own ED:O to accept those missions, dont believe everything you see on uTube, tikTok, those sites have just as many if not more idiots who've just discovered what a web cam is and want to spout their ideas no matter if its based on fact or not.

OIP (6).jpg

Same here, the experience on foot has not been exciting... apart for the nice intros I've been able to create for the videos. The Odyssey hud / ship lights and galaxy contrast continues to hurt my eyes... and this is a shame.

Straight answer.... Yes. Horizons works just as it ever did - just select it instead form the launcher.
(have noticed a degradation in how reliable wing requests are since Ody, even on Hrz, but that's all).

I mainly pay in Horizons still (despite owning Ody on both my main accounts). The only times I launch Ody is to take on fuel rescues where the client is in Ody (and no Ody rats are around), or occasionally to forage for pre-upgraded kit.

Like you OP I was an early buyer of Odyssey, installed it when it was released, tried it out and nothing really worked very well. Decided to go back to Horizons and keep an eye on Odyssey's progress through these forums. After a couple of month or so I decided to give it another go and it was a lot better but still not very playable and was not impressed with the on foot part, also it caused the minor ghosting issues I thought I had resolved on my X56 to return big time in fact so bad it made the game unplayable. Returned to Horizons and the ghosting issue disappeared with Odyssey.

After the forum post by David Brabham on the way forward I would give Odyssey a start up after every release and could see it slowly but surely improving when it got to update 5 I was impressed enough to start playing Odyssey as my primary instead of Horizons. After last weeks update 6 Odyssey is amazing and much better than Horizon. Like you I am not interested in "On Foot" I have a set of controls "found online" set in the Controls but have never tested them as the few tries I had previously in the game tutors didn't impress me very much and I am not even mildly interested in shoot 'em up stuff, I play a space game to be in space but if others like that then that is their prerogative.

Pros for me over Horizons:
Graphics are just miles better, my graphics card is at the low to mid spectrum a GTX1050Ti but the space blacks in Odyssey are black and that grainy grey cloud of space dust is gone, the inside of space stations which was a bit bright has been resolved in update 6. Planets are just much better than before as well. But the clincher for me is the Missions board and Station Services which are so superior to Horizons you really ought to check them out. Possibly you are under the impression due to the various videos on you tube etc that you need to do this on foot it is not so. I play on Odyssey exactly the way I did on Horizons, Odyssey is just much better and who knows maybe I will even go on foot sometime in the distant future when FD offer something better than the present bang bang shoot shoot em option. The ghosting issues I experienced earlier in Odyssey have now disappeared and my X56 works just as good as it does in Horizons.

Anyway as you already paid for Odyssey you are truly doing yourself a disservice by not at least trying it out. Admittedly there were serious faults in Odyssey when it was released and these have taken time to resolve but after update 6 last week I consider that most of them have been sorted. Don't take the negatives written up to now as definatives without checking them out in the game yourself first and if you still feel the same and want to stick with Horizons then that is your prerogative but it will be based on your own and not third party impressions.

Last edited:
Thanks Salty, I’m not wanting to rain on anyone else’s parade but I’m happy INSIDE my ship for now. VR is the Biz for a blast at combat every now and again, but I’m currently back in 2D to reset all my new controllers. I’m a bit miffed at the suggestion that starting up in Odyssey Borks them all over again. But then, one should not be surprised given FDs absolute abrogation with their myopic 32buttons per controller nonsense.

Think I’ll just wait until it seems they’ve fixed everything, or as much as they can, then have a peek - but I have absolutely NO intention nor need for On Foot PewPew, I’ve other games that manage that much better.

I bought Elite to Fly….

I wish that all the Horizons fans could continue to enjoy Horizons for as long as Frontier is wanting to support it.

I would continue to be a part of that.
even though i have had all these months of loss and destruction to 7 years of effort building my little empire.

As long as that is not going to be the case, then it was a fun ride at least, up to the jump off point where it got turned into EDO, which is nothing more than a 3 week old dog's breakfast by comparison.

fwiw As a geek from the 70's with Atari, I have seen numerous companies vanish for less than this one has messed up.
and that this one looks like a landslide that won't stop, sure it and the company will continue, but Elite Dangerous won't. mostly because it will not exist after this is finished.
And gamers don't usually forget games that went from great to total disappointment.

Had I known back in 2013 that I was paying to support and play a game that I love, just so it could be turned into a pointless phone app, I would not have finished reading the ad.

P.S. don't look at the typo please.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Had I known back in 2013 that I was paying to support and play a game that I love, just so it could be turned into a pointless phone app, I would not have finished reading the ad.

Your post was quite reasonable until this point, where all credibility was completely destroyed.

meaning?

simply say something about, maybe a typo..?
it happens, thank you for punting this out so politely, much appreciated

look closely at the dates...

some backers paid looong before we played.

Last edited:
Pros for me over Horizons:
Graphics are just miles better, my graphics card is at the low to mid spectrum a GTX1050Ti but the space blacks in Odyssey are black and that grainy grey cloud of space dust is gone
No, all the fine differentiation seen in real space photography is gone. Just a hideous over-saturated mess with crushed blacks and eye-straining over-bright flickering (in space!) stars now compared to horizons correct astronomy.

I Pre-Purchased Odyssey as I’ve done for every other release. I’ve not even started up Odyssey yet for more than a few reasons. I’m rebuilding after purchasing Virpil Hotas to replace my elderly CH Products. I’m learning my way again and Horizons is a helluva lot more forgiving than you all state Odyssey currently is, so I can wait for now and just read reports on here.

I’m also NOT particularly interested in any on foot PewPew. I’m happy to have the flying experience enhanced, pick up all the missions I want from my cockpit and ONLY to leave my ship for a change of scenery.
I’ve seen a YouTube submission that suggests ALL mission interactions will be on foot, not my cup of tea at all. I don’t want any of you to miss out on what you want from the game but don’t force me or anyone else to do anything we don’t want to…..that’s not fun, and that’s what Games are supposed to be.

I’ll remain with Horizons for as long as I can. It gives me most of what I want. I’m happy to continually buy upgrade releases if they enhance my preferred experience - better graphics, ships, Power Play, atmospheric landings etc….but that’s all I require, along with maintains my VR experience whilst flying my ships.

Frontier, continue to give me the experience I want and I will happily shovel money to you at each upgrade. Force me to play in a manner I don’t wish to, somebody else gets the loot.

No-one is forcing you to climb out of your ship in Odyssey. Almost all of the reported issues are with the added functionality in Odyssey, not the improvements to Horizons content.

In-space, planets and stars look better, plus you can land on more planets in Odyssey. When you do land on any planet, the view is a lot better, much less cartoony, even in the SRV.

I don't expect Horizons will get much in the way of improvements, why should it, Odyssey is effectively Season 3, and with that come the in space upgrades and improvements.

If you paid for it, use it, may as well enjoy the view.

And there has been no intonation of ending Horizons, You can even play pre-horizons still. (don't launch that while your ship is landed on an odyssey planet though (could be messy). The Stellar Forge is the same core system, they just extended the accessible attributes for Odyssey gameplay in the same database. So Odyssey First Discovered/mapped By credits will show in Horizons and vice versa. Horizons just won't see the Odyssey exclusive stuff like landable planets with an atmosphere, or First Footfall credits.

Top Bottom