I feel I'm completely excluded from material and data gathering in Odyssey 🙁

I think the clue is in the title "Elite DANGEROUS", which implies it might not be the best game for people that don't want danger. I can recommend No Man's Sky as a good alternative for people that don't like combat. It is a much more fun game with many more activities and things going on than ED, whilst sharing the same idea of upgrading ships, suits, tools, villages, freighters, etc. After 8000hrs of ED, I found NMS to be very refreshing and compelling.

Dunno why OP couldn't just ask FD to add some explorer friendly rewards, maybe for exploration suits and upgrades, to solve the issue.
Using UC might be one way by scanning Odyssey planets, for example.
However, I would not want combat interfered with by those not interested in it.
That will not end well.

I can recommend No Man's Sky as a good alternative for people that don't like combat
Provided the Sentinels are very laid-back, otherwise it would not be quite so good. (and the carnivorous, often vicious fauna may not be to their liking either), then add the almost guaranteed pirate attacks... It isn't a perfect stroll in the park making daisy chains, although it is possible to minimise combat opportunities - pretty much like ED, really.

Sympathise with the OPs anxiety issues, but there are - limited admittedly - missions that don't include combat, salvage and courier missions. And pre-upgraded gear is available for sale, occasionally with engineering already applied.

That said, can't really expect to be allowed to loot a settlement, stealing scads of items that aren't actually yours, without repercussions?

When you do a power restore mission without being in danger of being shot at, just check the "contacts" panel when you disembark from the shuttle. If you see anything in it just call a shuttle and leave straight away.

Once you have restored power check the contacts panel again before you leave each building after looking for loot and press escape if your see anyone on it. When you come back in to the game you will be at the landing pad and you can call a shuttle and leave.

Retrieval missions also have zero chance of being shot at at long as the item is somewhere that you can access without a clearance level and it doesn't have any qualifiers ie non-violent, don't set off alarms etc. After you have tried a few you will get a feell for which ones you can do without any danger - even the ones with a locked container are OK as long as you are given the combination at the start of the mission.

Not really. Either you pay in bounties, or you pay in the loss of an anarchy settlement or (worse) an anarchy system (which is very bad because then nowhere to get e-breaches).
Communist controlled stations / settlements also sell e-breaches...

... although Frontier should make it that they, and Interstellar Factors, are only available in Anarchy controlled systems, but they won't...

Not really. Either you pay in bounties, or you pay in the loss of an anarchy settlement or (worse) an anarchy system (which is very bad because then nowhere to get e-breaches).
Reactivation missions are legal looting. If you're not caught stealing there are no issues, I nick everything that isn't nailed down at every settlement I do I fetch mission from. Military bases are the best for that.

I haven't got the reflexes for it, I find that it causes me genuine anxiety, and it's just not my bag.

This is why I feel I'm completely excluded from material and data gathering in Odyssey (so far). In the rest of the game there's not a single material or data type that cannot be gathered completely safely, or traded for, with no possibility of combat. I'll caveat this as everything you need to upgrade your ships and that doesn't involve Thargoid or Guardian sites, but even much of that is perfectly safe to gather.

Even the safest methods of gathering materials and data in Odyssey still have a risk of combat, or an element of combat
There is a possible solution to the aversion to combat that as far as I can tell from going through 6 pages that has not been mentioned.

You need a friend to form a team with.

Once in a team, your team mate can take missions which can be shared with you. The best part of this, is that you only have to meet to exchange stuff. You are not required to go along on the shared mission. You can be doing other things and do not have to even be in the same system. On successful completion, you are also eligible for the reward. Your team mate can do the fighting and looting, and later on you can meet in person and they can drop materials for you. Hopefully you can give your team mate something in return.

This works. My team mate and I can each take a simple transport mission, share/accept and go our separate ways to complete the mission, and both gain the reward for the other's mission. It has even been known, that when my team mate has something more important to do (watching Dutch football) rather than playing, I can take a mission which he accepts before leaving Odyssey running, and when he checks back at half time etc, he can claim the mission reward.

If unable to be part of a team, it might be possible trade Odyssey materials for other game commodities, such as tritium with CMDRs that have spare Odyssey materials.

Steve 07.

Last edited:
I tried exploration in ody.
I don't care on foot combat (but tried few times during some missions)

So sorry, but if someone don't care serious combat (CZs maybe?) I rly don't see single reason for upgrading suits (wow, better battery, when your srv or ship can load it, wow, worthy grind, I'm gonna clear 100 bases for it).
I will tell more- basic weapons, without eni upgrades are more than enough even for scavengers.
Even with less than 20 fps :)
Are you excluded? But why do you want upgrade weapons, if you don't want to fight? Same with suits. Why do you need better battery? Sprint? Jump?
If upgrading suits is pointless, gathering materials is pointless too.
Win-win.

Oh, and I seen short talk about credits- yes. On foot mission has lower reward than ship mision.
BUT
On foot equipment cost 10-20m, and you need max 3 suits, and 2-3 weapons.
Meanwhile ships can cost 1000m :)

Last edited:
Does the "Psycho" AI archetype not exist anymore? I haven't seen one in a while but it was entirely possible to be interdicted and subjected to attempted murder for no reason whatsoever long before Odyssey came about.

Because you know as well as I do that there is no single way to collect materials and data in Odyssey that has zero chance of combat. If you don't know how anxiety works you shouldn't comment further.
i don't understand what you want here. the game is what it is. maybe counterstrike can add a poker minigame too

I think the clue is in the title "Elite DANGEROUS", which implies it might not be the best game for people that don't want danger. I can recommend No Man's Sky as a good alternative for people that don't like combat. It is a much more fun game with many more activities and things going on than ED, whilst sharing the same idea of upgrading ships, suits, tools, villages, freighters, etc. After 8000hrs of ED, I found NMS to be very refreshing and compelling.
More like Elite:Annoyance. Usually I got all kinds of opposition when I least needed it and was ill-fitted to fight it. And when I was looking for a challenge the game only threw cheap and inexperienced trash at me. When an Anaconda spawned in HAZ Res everyone and their mother converged on it like it was the motherlode. Whatever you do in ED - you are guaranteed to have to do it in the most grindy way possible, because "generous" is nothing in FD's vocab.

Top Bottom