Horizons I looked at the calendar, and wonder how will we get those 4 "major" expansions in 2016

I have to somewhat agree/disagree with that.
Hiding the engineers might be considered pointless as their locations will be all over the interweb in no time for those who want them.
But of course those who want to avoid such spoilers can do so. I certainly intend to avoid the spoilers to the best of my abilities.

I think searching for the engineers could be a very cool thing if FD ties these quest in with missions, feeding you tidbits of info until you finally discover one of their unique bases.

I think FDev have contradicted themselves on this. I've heard two people say different things, David I think said they'd be on the map and Michael said you'd have to find them. If they're on the map then some people will say "Why you making it easy for me?" if they aren't others will say "Why are you being so difficult about this!" A bit of a lose, lose made difficult by having a beta which you'd want to test thoroughly perhaps without people having to search for them...

Personally I don't mind either way.

There was some work going on behind the scenes for some time before that - although it's not generally known exactly for how long, with how many people and what it involved. It was referred to be some as a "skunk works" project.

According to the devs (Mike among others) everything we see in the game started after the Kickstarter finished. Sure, over the years they have certainly played around with different protypes, but that's not really the same thing as full on production where devs quite often rewrite/remake everything "proper" anyway.

Them having a engine (Cobra) that has been developed over the years in preperation for this doesn't really count since that can be said about any other game other especially sequels that almost always keeps building on the previous work...and still take 4-5 years of development to get done.

So just over 3 years in development? That's early 2013... I bet more like 5 years as we all can pull numbers from our behind. I did not know FD's game budget was that tight, do you have any official numbers?

I never pull numbers out of my behind...even if I sometime can speculate somewhat. (Not about this though.)

In the old days I gave quotes to everything...nowadays I can't be bothered anymore. ;) :p

Last edited:
It's really not though...ED has been in development for just over 3 years. Many other games (especially MMO-ish multiplayer games) are only announced after 2-3 years of development and then they might be in development for another 2 years before actual release. Even then after 5 years of devtime these games might still have less things to do than ED has now.

Except they said themselves that they were working on prototypes way before the kickstarter, possibly for years. And building the technology (which is what prototyping is for) should be the hardest and longest part.

According to the devs (Mike among others) everything we see in the game started after the Kickstarter finished. Sure, over the years they have certainly played around with different protypes, but that's not really the same thing as full on production where devs quite often rewrite/remake everything "proper" anyway.

Them having a engine (Cobra) that has been developed over the years in preperation for this doesn't really count since that can be said about any other game other especially sequels that almost always keeps building on the previous work...and still take 4-5 years of development to get done.

Thanks for the clarification!

Except they said themselves that they were working on prototypes way before the kickstarter, possibly for years. And building the technology (which is what prototyping is for) should be the hardest and longest part.

No this has been already answered by David Braben himself. They did skunkwork stuff but threw it all away when they started on the Kickstarter. The "in development for many years before" story is still being spun by rabid fanboys of a certain other game to justify their sloppy pace of development, but it's getting old. I've been around since the first day of the KS and the first glimpses we got were flat-shaded graphics running on monitors behind DB's head. Then shortly after that we saw two ships dogfighting in an asteroid field, without sound or any fancy graphics really. And yeah, they had Cobra but needed to extensively modify it - just like CIG had CryEngine but did the same thing there.

Anyway, here's hoping. There's still quite some time before May and I hope we get some more good news before then.

According to the devs (Mike among others) everything we see in the game started after the Kickstarter finished....

That really does put where we are into perspective, and firmly into the 'flipping amazing' category.

I'm pleased they decided to reschedule 2.1, hopefully this focus on quality reaps dividends.

How long is a season? Well where I am it's about 3 months... ;)

Someone wiser than I said recently : "Just play with what you've got now", and "You can't miss something you haven't had yet".

Ever since then I stopped worrying about stuff that isn't in the game yet. Works for me anyhow. At the same time, there's no harm in having a healthy interest in what's to come :)

It would probably work out good if they delayed season 3 to 2017, however december means xmas sales,moar monies. I personally didnt expect horizons to be so "alpha" barebone when I preordered it on 1st December 2015. But sure I was assured that 2.1. big patch will come soon. That was in december, so probably 5 months since I bought it we might get some new stuff ingame. The delay caused by planet coaster or some tax scheme or raptor jesus (whatever I dont really care) didnt help reduce my salt level.

I'd be more optimistic if the title of this update was "Missions", not "Engineers".
except that a working missions system should have been in the base game upon release so it doesn' t really count, they are just 18 months behind schedule with that one.

Last edited:
With Engineers beta coming in May, the live release looks like early june at best. So if we do the math, it took 5 months for 2.1 to release. Now, with only 7 months left, and three expansions left, that means only 2 months and few days are between the release of those three expansions. I don't mean to be negative, but I honestly want to see how will FDev manage that and keep at least the same quality level of Engineers, that took 5 months with less then half a time of development for other three expansions.

1) We dont know the quality level of 2.1.
2) We dont know what 2.2-2.4 will bring.
3) We have no information whatsoever to base an opinion.

Based on the above, I propose we chill.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

except that a working missions system should have been in the base game upon release so it doesn' t really count, they are just 18 months behind schedule with that one.

Sure, persistent NPCs should have been in 1.0. Is that opinion actually based on anything or just fully automated grumpiness?

keep at least the same quality level
You think Horizons DLC sets the standard? Yes it does. Incomplete and without much content nor life. An easy formula once you got a fat down payment.
We should have had NPC Bounty Hunters (KWS) and still they won't think about changing the Galnet to have the 10 highest WANTED local ONLINE Players. I mean what the!

Last edited:
I can't say that I'm all that fussed about the timescales. Obviously, I'd prefer that things come more quickly, but, if they don't, it's not like it really affects my use of the game one way or another. There's only so much time in a week to play games, anyway.

It's not uncommon for projects to slip, and it's (IME) fairly rare for episodic things to detail exactly when the next release will come. In fact, I think that FD probably shot themselves in the foot a bit promising a certain release point for the engineers. Had they been more vague in the first place this fuss about stuff being delayed could have been avoided.

Based on the above, I propose we chill.

Yeah, because sit back, wait, and hope for the best has worked out so well for us so far, hasn't it? Certainly hasn't resulted in barebones, buggy patch after barebones, buggy patch now has it?

Sarcasm aside, giving these people our money and not holding them accountable to their promises is what got us this heap of       in the first place and encouraging that same attitude is only shooting yourself in the foot. Or wallet, as it were.

As long as the quality is there for the updates I am not concerned in delays.
We have seen from time to time some shoddy work from the devs but that needs to stop happening and I hope this year/season will prove to be the case.

Yeah, because sit back, wait, and hope for the best has worked out so well for us so far, hasn't it? Certainly hasn't resulted in barebones, buggy patch after barebones, buggy patch now has it?

Sarcasm aside, giving these people our money and not holding them accountable to their promises is what got us this heap of in the first place and encouraging that same attitude is only shooting yourself in the foot. Or wallet, as it were.

He doesn't care - fanboy never learn

If you compare this to the 'other' space game still in development that has missed milestone after milestone, removed features or rather said they are delayed, after being told many months previously they were a week or 2 away. Then it is scrapped and said those features are already in the patch. Actually no many features are missing but we are told it is pre-alpha. That Kickstarter was when FD had theirs made beat FD by a few weeks or so. The thing is they 'sell' ships one recently just went up in price over $110. Yes you heard that right a game in pre-alpha status had a ship go up in price over $110 and now at $300 or so. So people moan about FD delaying an expansion by 6 weeks and the sky is falling. The price is to high for a game you can actually play, and not just a ship for a pre-alpha?
OK enough on that bandwagon but it is damn frustrating to read all the negative comments on Elite, as another game gets a huge pass. So the expansion has a 6 week delay, or a bit more. Quality has been screamed on these boards for, well since release. Wait, delay, make it right we will wait just be sure it is ready and not release it early. How many remember those posts? I remember them and they took them to heart and are doing what so many asked for, so what happens? I wager some that said do not release early get it right crowd are some of those posting on these type threads about how the delay is bad, and they are losing faith. In other words FD can't ever do right by those types and release early criticize if any bugs. Wait and criticize that it is taking to long. They release and horrors there are bugs (of course there will be, 1000's testing will find bugs even 100 people testing may miss). So they patch out the bugs and more are found down the road, that is the way with complex software, still they do as well as most and better then many with a fun game that will only get better. Sure call me a fanboy but then again as I was in Alpha I guess I am, and enjoy the game.
TLDR: Just remember many screamed since release take it slow, get it right, and they took it to heart. So be thankful they are, and not release before it is ready.
Calebe

I already have all the game content purchased, since I like what I have so far while still seeing great opportunities for enhancements and features in the future.

What I want is for FD to focus on making the best game they can. I don't really care all that much how long it takes, as long as it's within a decade or so. I'm already in this for the long haul.

Making the best game possible (especially a niche one like this) is the best thing for sales in the long run.

While I do enjoy some whining and actually agree that the Game is barebone - I still spent more time in it then any other game since M&B Warband. If at times I find it boring its bc after excessive playing I tend to find any game boring. Hence my hiatus from June 2015 till last week. I honestly think that most who are bored by Elite should go out ( or play sth. else ) for a while and come back after some time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom