Ideas for Squadron Battles with Fleet Carriers

How does squadron combat work with fleet carriers? I read that there can't be 2 fleet carriers in the same instance. That's disappointing, because it means there can't be epic FC vs FC battles.

If only 1 fleet carrier is allowed per instance, how does a squadron attack a FC?

If fleet carriers are indestructible then there's no big end-game money sink. So once you've fully upgraded your FC, you'd continue to accumulate credits which eventually becomes pointless. Some people who worked hard to buy a FC can get upset if its destroyed. However, destructible ships are beneficial to the longevity of an online game. In Eve Online the biggest capital ships are destructible. Capital ships are very expensive, but Eve Online solves this obstacle by permitting player guilds (corporations) to share resources. So a new player could receive an expensive ship from a guild to participate in guild activities, battles etc. This ensures a continuous cycle of ship production and destruction which keeps the game economy alive. A compromise is possible. If the FC can be severely damaged by a hostile squadron, the FC owner would keep the ship and it adds a significant money sink in the end-game phase.

So the FC should support PVP gameplay too. It must be more than a mobile station.

Last edited:
The OP is right on the money. Elite Dangerous is to much a soloist game and FDev’s approach to group gameplay is very underdeveloped. The shame of it all is that the more FDev develops the less I play. I have made suggestions like proper colonization mechanics so that squadrons could colonize unpopulated star systems but that idea has been shot down by most of the community. Sometimes I feel I wasted my money paying for lifetime account.

What’s the obsession with blowing shizz up or being El Commandante with exclusive executive privileges?

This is obviously crying out for truly emergent competitive co-op gameplay - Carrier Buckyballin’!
If you insist on the pew-pew, sabotage the logistics effort.

It's not enough for me to have something, I demand the right to deprive you of it too.

There are a lot of people who want more MMO-esque features such as epic battles between squadrons with a Fleet Carrier on each side. There could be 8 Squadron players per side in the same instance per battle (16 players total). If they disable the FCs defenses and damage critical components then they win the battle and gain rewards. Then the damaged FC retreats for repairs so it's not destroyed. The defending team can win by destroying the attacking team's ships.

If there's technical limitations for 2 FC in one instance then just have 1 FC with 1 offensive and 1 defensive team.

Last edited:
You'd only need one bad actor out for lulz to make "multiple fleet carrier battles" something you wish you'd never experienced.

FD did this for the safety (and sanity) of the players - and I completely agree with them.

You'd only need one bad actor out for lulz to make "multiple fleet carrier battles" something you wish you'd never experienced.

If a pilot acts obnoxious at another player's FC then they can be destroyed. This makes Squadrons more useful in-game. It's boring if everything is 100% safe.

Carrier tactics have always been about staying out of sight, waves of fighters from each side doing all the work.

Am disappointed that we don't get an accessible bridge on our carriers, can't see how hard it is to create a bridge environment when we are docked.

The carrier instancing issue is a bit of a shame for explorer fleets, was expecting to see large groups of carriers jumping together in the same instance. At the very least we'll be able to supercruise between carrier instances, will still provide some interesting gameplay for multiple carriers working together.

there aint gonna be huge battles at least. Max is like 20 cmdrs in same instance and even 10 is difficult to get work. FC is understructible and only 1 per instance.
Wondering tough do you get money for refueling and arming others

Last edited:
Head, meet desk. OP your post is eye watering, so I can only assume you aren't aware that Elite uses a P2P networking model. P2P is very, very bad for anything massively multiplayer. It is unpredictable both in terms of speed and reliability, and lacks any centralized authority.

We dont know much yet. Other than knowing only 1 carrier in an instance. And it makes sense for them to be indestructible. The rest we will need to wait and see.

The OP is right on the money. Elite Dangerous is to much a soloist game and FDev’s approach to group gameplay is very underdeveloped. The shame of it all is that the more FDev develops the less I play. I have made suggestions like proper colonization mechanics so that squadrons could colonize unpopulated star systems but that idea has been shot down by most of the community. Sometimes I feel I wasted my money paying for lifetime account.

You did if you bought it on the basis of ' Empire building ' which they have never offered or even hinted at.

@777Driver summed upf my thoughts. I am still excited for the Carriers, but I won't be surprised in the least if they drop the ball. From what we've gathered thus far, it's a RRR station you can periodically move to another system. Which is cool, but extremely underwhelming given the possibilities.

I wish people would read the newsletter/forum post and watch Obsidian Ants video. Carrier <> capital combat ship. Carrier = mobile home.

I wish people would read the newsletter/forum post and watch Obsidian Ants video. Carrier <> capital combat ship. Carrier = mobile home.

A Carrier packed with combat craft is, by definition, a Combat Carrier. Not everyone will use it that way, but I would bet a plurality, at minimum, will want to. With what we have seen so far, it looks like this is going to be a huge boon for miners and explorers, and a disappointment for the rest.

Top Bottom