Powerplay If FD decided it could take the time to implement Open Only for Powerplay, do you think it should go to a public vote?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Would you support the idea of it going to a public vote and be accepting of the outcome, regardless of which way it goes? Or would you prefer FD make the call, and be accepting of the outcome, regardless of which way it goes?

i've seen where frontier goes, and i don't like it, so i'd prefer a public decision just for a chance, however small, for some change in direction.

hypotetically speaking, of course.

Not at all.

Its absoloutely fine if you are willing to completely disregard the desires of those who enjoy PP from PG/solo in order to make it appear as though there only dissenting opinions are those who don't partake and willing to disregard those who don't play but would if FD made improvements to PP that are not dependent on it going OO.

But maybe you are right. Maybe FD should only listen to the tiny number of people who actually do PP, lock out those who don't want to fly in open, rather than looking to get more people involved overall. :p
Let's use an illustration to make sure everyone's on the same page:

A little kid is pretend playing football in a field by himself. He gets angry because the NFL doesn't count the points that he scored while playing by himself towards his favorite team's score in the Superbowl.

That little boy playing pretend represents the Powerplay players playing in solo.

Powerplay will never work if there are different rules for solo players and open players. And by the very definition of open and solo modes, the rules ARE different for Powerplay in open vs. solo. Solo players get all the rewards, but none of the risks, there is no reason to Powerplay in open.

Notice, I am a Powerplay player who never plays in open, but I recognize the inherent problem in that. It's neutering the Powerplay dynamic and the potential of what Powerplay could be.

Let's use an illustration to make sure everyone's on the same page:

A little kid is pretend playing football in a field by himself. He gets angry because the NFL doesn't count the points that he scored while playing by himself towards his favorite team's score in the Superbowl.

That little boy playing pretend represents the Powerplay players playing in solo.

Powerplay will never work if there are different rules for solo players and open players. And by the very definition of open and solo modes, the rules ARE different for Powerplay in open vs. solo. Solo players get all the rewards, but none of the risks, there is no reason to Powerplay in open.

Notice, I am a Powerplay player who never plays in open, but I recognize the inherent problem in that. It's neutering the Powerplay dynamic and the potential of what Powerplay could be.

If we agree there are different rules, then the BGS has different rules, CGs have different rules, everything has different rules. If we follow that logic, then all competitive elements should be made open only. Now, we know there are people who would delight in this, but there are those who are happy with the modes and indirect competition.

From my perspective, its not the direct vs indirect business that hurts PP, its the bland mechanics and lack of varity in what you can do.

Power play needs a lot of things, being even further disconnected the game? Dunno about that. Both it and things like incursion state is already so seperate there's little reason for cmdrs to get involved. Open only I can see for PP but in the cqc pit I think it would finish dying there.

It's simple.

You can't buy forts, PP supplies, or carry merits in PG/Solo.
Logging PP/Solo makes all PP cargo and held merits vanish - for good.
If you have PP cargo or a merit count, block lists stop working until the cargo and merits are delivered. I'm sorry you don't like the enemy PP player Harry Ballzak, if you're playing PP you are a legit target.

Just make it happen. If there is a vote held, make sure only people who can vote expansion/consolidation get a say in this, because the people playing matter more than those who aren't.

It's simple.

You can't buy forts, PP supplies, or carry merits in PG/Solo.
Logging PP/Solo makes all PP cargo and held merits vanish - for good.
If you have PP cargo or a merit count, block lists stop working until the cargo and merits are delivered. I'm sorry you don't like the enemy PP player Harry Ballzak, if you're playing PP you are a legit target.

Just make it happen. If there is a vote held, make sure only people who can vote expansion/consolidation get a say in this, because the people playing matter more than those who aren't.

Ah, you want option 3 then, not one extreme or the other. To be honest, id rather have it one way or the other. At least if they made it open only they could remove all traces of PP from PG/solo so it becomes non-existant in all forms for those modes.

Absolutely no public vote. In the past the community has shown to be too volatile in desires, too much influenced by each player's specific content novelty or boredom feel level.

There are many examples of things which cannot (but should) be changed even if they make no sense because of player's subjectivity instead of developer objectivity.
One example is making powerplay open only.

Let people vote, but you have to do it from the consolidation/prep vote screen.

Meaning, if you are qualified to vote there, then you are obviously playing powerplay regularly and your vote matters. Otherwise, it doesn't. If you're not playing PP, then what you say really doesn't matter.

I get what you're saying though about community feedback, look at the weight and jump range of the Anaconda .

Not at all.

Its absoloutely fine if you are willing to completely disregard the desires of those who enjoy PP from PG/solo in order to make it appear as though there only dissenting opinions are those who don't partake and willing to disregard those who don't play but would if FD made improvements to PP that are not dependent on it going OO.

But maybe you are right. Maybe FD should only listen to the tiny number of people who actually do PP, lock out those who don't want to fly in open, rather than looking to get more people involved overall. :p

I acknowledge that the first group exists, though I'm confident that they're in the minority. As for the second, they're irrelevant to the point being made.

And if you'd ever spend ten minutes in a powerplay Discord, you'd understand that one of the main frustrations of those who do engage in Powerplay is the aspect of being undermined in a way that can't be directly opposed, nor engage an opponent while conducting their own operations. You'd also realize that among most PP groups a code of honor to play in open exists because of these limitations- fair's fair, after all.

In essence, the type of Powerplayer who would be turned off by open-only isn't the type that most PP groups want in the first place.

Last edited:
Let people vote, but you have to do it from the consolidation/prep vote screen.

Meaning, if you are qualified to vote there, then you are obviously playing powerplay regularly and your vote matters. Otherwise, it doesn't. If you're not playing PP, then what you say really doesn't matter.

Sort of. But does killing 4 PP NPCs for 1 week count as playing powerplay regularly? If it was to be truly fair, the vote would scale with time and effort put in.

I still don't understand this insistence that everything the game offers must be available in all modes. I don't get mad that Uncharted, a single-player game, offers multiplayer that I can't partake in due to my limited bandwidth. I suppose I could stomp my feet up and down and demand bots so I too can play the multiplayer game by myself, but that's just silly. Let PP go Open-only, and let the whiners whine. It's what is best for the game as a whole.

ps - I spent all of winter stuck in Solo, so don't tell me I don't understand Solo players.

why wait something constructive from a team who not play his game? (demonstrated at each live) ask something on hearthstone they will be able to answer you with documentation
each month,each week have a topic like this on this forum , all ignored :)
maybe forum is not the good platform to communicate with them , try tinder or something else of their level :)

Last edited:
I still don't understand this insistence that everything the game offers must be available in all modes. I don't get mad that Uncharted, a single-player game, offers multiplayer that I can't partake in due to my limited bandwidth. I suppose I could stomp my feet up and down and demand bots so I too can play the multiplayer game by myself, but that's just silly. Let PP go Open-only, and let the whiners whine. It's what is best for the game as a whole.

ps - I spent all of winter stuck in Solo, so don't tell me I don't understand Solo players.

That is a pity. It is game design at its best. Happy the modes!

As for the second, they're irrelevant to the point being made.

And there we go, the nub of the issue. Some people want PP to be an exclusive club, only for those who are already invovled and want open only. As opposed to asking FD to improve PP to make more people interested in it.

You know, with this attitude towards it, i'm all for FD to make PP open only, let it rot and stagnate then as the elitists push more and more people away from the feature.

I still don't understand this insistence that everything the game offers must be available in all modes.

Fine, in that case, let's have NPC wingmen only available in PG/solo. After all, in open no need for NPC wingmen, you have other players to fly with.

Oh, wait, aren't you on PS4? Hehe... good look finding other players to wing with :D

And there we go, the nub of the issue. Some people want PP to be an exclusive club, only for those who are already invovled and want open only. As opposed to asking FD to improve PP to make more people interested in it.

You know, with this attitude towards it, i'm all for FD to make PP open only, let it rot and stagnate then as the elitists push more and more people away from the feature.

Trust me when I say that the mechanics of PP have done exponentially more to drive people away from it than these so-called "elitists" (as amusing as it is to bandy that particular term around here! :))

Last edited:

As many people including myself have said, Powerplay has to offer something unique and new for them to justify taking part in it. Open satisfies that requirement- otherwise what separates current Powerplays gameplay from the new BGS?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom