If only ~1% of the galaxy is explored....

Lol, you need to take a deep breath and not take this game so seriously. I don't need to show any "proof" of anything, I'm not the one making outlandish claims about how we could magically map the exact location and stellar content of every single one of the 400 billion systems in the galaxy to 100% accuracy.

So we've got thousands of these probes that we're sending out at FTL speeds to map the entire galaxy perfectly (in record time too apparently), and they have sensors to detect the stars and triangulate their positions to pinpoint accuracy, and they're going to be smart enough to visit or catalogue every single system in their range... but they're going to report nothing about the planets and moons in the systems? They don't need FSS or anything like that, basic sensors would work fine. Oh and also they're going magically see all the brown dwarfs that are too dim to see beyond a couple of lightyears from their tiny shipboard telescopes too.

Yeah right.

Outlandish claims you say? Well then, explain how we got the map in the first place? Maybe Thargoids gave it to us? Or Guardians? Yeah, roight... It was the probes, millions of them.... And yes, their probes with their tiny telescopes were able to spot the brown dwarf by using GRASPADIS array (gravitational space distortion sensors)... Swarm of probes is linked and creates an array that measures spacetime distortions to detect objects that are not visible to any other sensors.... This is also how we are detecting small black holes... But let me guess, you will also deny this, roight? 🤨

Outlandish claims you say? Well then, explain how we got the map in the first place? Maybe Thargoids gave it to us? Or Guardians? Yeah, roight... It was the probes, millions of them.... And yes, their probes with their tiny telescopes were able to spot the brown dwarf by using GRASPADIS array (gravitational space distortion sensors)... Swarm of probes is linked and creates an array that measures spacetime distortions to detect objects that are not visible to any other sensors.... This is also how we are detecting small black holes... But let me guess, you will also deny this, roight? 🤨

Yes, because that's literally pure technobabble gibberish that you just made up. There's no in-game explanation for the galaxy map that makes sense or even works, period. That's why it's a problem in that sense.

Like I said, I'm fine with the game development reasons for it. But let's not pretend that there's any logical reason for it to exist in the setting, because there really isn't.

yes, EDSM shows about 38000 years. Hope servers will work so long :D
The EDSM estimate is way too low. It doesn't take into account that as more and more of the galaxy is explored, less and less is available to find.
In the end it becomes almost impossible to find unexplored systems. This why we need a filter to show unexplored systems.

I calculated that after 38000 years only 70% of the galaxy would be explored.
How long to find the last star

What you're not taking into account is the change in players. You're assuming that the discovery rate will remain static. What happens if the player base increases by 200% in 2020 ? What if it halves ?

Also, the "45 million systems discovered" is only what EDSM knows. Which is about 0.01%. FDev last year said it was actually 0.04% discovered.

This is the last post in your qouted thread. Now, how did all those Epic players impact your figures? :D

This is the last post in your qouted thread. Now, how did all those Epic players impact your figures? :D
I certainly should be able to update the rate of exploration. I have quite good figures on the rate of increase of EDSM data in the last few months.
Taking FDs projected number of players would help as well.

If only I could remember where the program is.

Edit: I found the program, and it's estimate was 12million new systems per year, on EDSM. That looks as if it is still approximately true.
What it didn't take into account was that only a quarter of systems are on EDSM.

Last edited:
Yes, because that's literally pure technobabble gibberish that you just made up. There's no in-game explanation for the galaxy map that makes sense or even works, period. That's why it's a problem in that sense.

Like I said, I'm fine with the game development reasons for it. But let's not pretend that there's any logical reason for it to exist in the setting, because there really isn't.

iu

EDIT: I was just roleplaying... :)
In a sense I would like to have the game work in the way you described, but on the other hand, I can imagine a future technology, that could result in a map with triangulated star positions, that would be later explored in more details either by probes or manned missions... Surely none of us can safely predict what will happen in future, what technology will be available and what direction will humankind take in the space exploration... If we had to dig deep in every detail of the game, you would soon come to a conclusion, that it does not make sense in general... ;)

Last edited:
Well if a games company in 2012 can create a galaxy using known and projected data and making it up a bit*....maybe by 3300 a program can accurately calculate whats out there based on physics and maths and gravity and effects on other systems, same way someone just discovered something in our own System but nobody sure what it is yet just that its affecting planets...or maybe we stole the data from the Mars Artefact....or whatever started the Raxxla legend.

*I recall DB in one of the original KS Dev Diaries saying that Stellar Forge calculated in reality theres a lot more space dust than previously thought based on some calculation or other but its all over my head.

Well if a games company in 2012 can create a galaxy using known and projected data and making it up a bit*....maybe by 3300 a program can accurately calculate whats out there based on physics and maths and gravity and effects on other systems, same way someone just discovered something in our own System but nobody sure what it is yet just that its affecting planets...

Nope. What people don't seem to understand is that you can't get accurate positions as you go further out from Sol (we have trouble even with stuff nearer Sol), and there's plenty of things like gas and dust blocking line of sight, and plenty of objects that are far too dim to detect by any means from even a few tens of lightyears away let alone a few thousand or tens of thousand lys. It's just not possible. There's simply no way to get that kind of perfect information about locations and system content on this scale from one place.

or maybe we stole the data from the Mars Artefact....or whatever started the Raxxla legend.

Frankly that's a lot more believable, though it just kicks the can down the road because then how did the aliens or whatever find all that perfect information? Again, it's only like that because that's how Frontier implemented it for the game, it make no sense in an in-game context though.

Like, how come I can be travelling at multiples of c and look behind me?

Or how can we survive smashing the ship into a planet/station/piece of rock without being smashed against our ships canopy?
Or how come you can die and respawn for some insurance fee at nearest station?
Are we massless virtual entities? If so, why do we need life support?

And lastly and most importantly: we have the technology to travel faster than light, but we can't clean windows without leaving smudges? 🤦‍♂️ :LOL:

This is a case of, Figures never lie but liars figure, no offense intended to @Mrat13. Anything that only values by percentages ignores the actual numbers involved.

400,000,000,000 star systems, an unspecified number of explorers, and "only ~1%" of the galaxy touched; but that number would be ~4,000,000,000 in six years if it is accurate.

Given a current absolute of ~12,000,000 players, of which only a portion are exploring, I think that is a statistically impressive accomplishment, especially since the ~12 million value only dates back to the Epic give away.
Yes and CMDR ALLITNIL has done most of it, I can’t find anywhere he hasn’t been first!

FDev finally giving us useful Filters and Filter Combinations would go a long way to avoid wasted time and unorganized efforts.

One of my most-wanted Galaxy Map Filters would also be :
UC - has no data on this System
UC - has partial (incomplete) data on this System
UC - has complete data on this System

Then you could avoid wandering around Systems, only to discover (pun) that... they're already discovered :p
(just imagine how frustrating it must be for brand new Explorers to head into Deep Space and seemingly run into nothing but fully explored Systems for quite a long time... not exactly a motivating experience to carry on I'd bet)
I joined the forum just to post my support and complete agreement with this proposed feature. I can't seem to find any source, within the game or third party, for "Just show me a system that hasn't been visited yet!"

Deleted member 38366

D
I joined the forum just to post my support and complete agreement with this proposed feature. I can't seem to find any source, within the game or third party, for "Just show me a system that hasn't been visited yet!"

The old VisitedStarsCache Website did an outstanding job offering at least a somewhat reliable Info on this (EDSM Data only), but that got patched out by FDev.

For me, https://edastro.com/ has become the primary tool to plan my Exploration trips into unexplored space.
1618008665513.png

(the Saturation Map is a nice start to see the general areas that are still vastly unexplored - in that regard Red is bad here, dark is good)

Afterwards, the Sector Viewer ( https://edastro.com/sector ) offers high resolution imagery of any chosen Sector - allowing to pinpoint the most suitable spots.
That's as good as it gets when it comes to finding unexplored areas.

As an aside, I love your commander name. Travis was a great character, until they re-cast him. ;)
Thanks. I guess everyone can tell my favourite from my Inara/signature picture :) I had to make him as a Holo-Me for the game and EDSM, and the lack of eyepatches is annoying but I used a Robo-Eye and then a milky eye alternatively. We need eyepatches in the game!

Top Bottom