If You're Going to Unlock Some Guardian Weapons for Bug Hunting, I Recommend Grabbing a Few Salvation Shard Cannons...

I always feel like going crazy when I watch these videos.
Thargs seem to be way, way more aggressive towards me.
Pretty sure it´s something I´m doing wrong, but what exactly?

I'm seeing a few posts here and there about folks either not wanting to grind out the Guardian stuff (totally understandable - it can get mind numbing after a while :p), looking for some info on what Guardian weapons to pick, or are returning to a Bubble that is ON FIRE after an extended break and have no idea what's going on. If you're up for bug hunting and want to grab a few Guardian weapons or are on the fence about doing so, I highly recommend putting in a little effort for those Modified Guardian Shard Cannons that Salvation developed, if at all possible. They are DPS hoses, easy to aim, and can make quick work of Interceptors:

Source: https://youtu.be/-ZKLRjImArc

Plus, if you toss in Premium Ammo (which is comparatively cheap vs. other Guardian weapons), you can easily achieve a sub-30-second Cyclops kill with four Medium MGSCs:

Source: https://youtu.be/DtyudlFOzvQ

Clipper Build Link for those who are interested:

A few things to note with these:
  1. They run hot - bring extra heatsinks to mitigate their Thermal Load. You may need to double- or triple-sink when firing all four in rapid succession.
  2. Distributor Draw is relatively low; a 6A Charge Enhanced | Super Conduits Distro is able to keep up with 4 Medium MGSCs for about 32 seconds nonstop.
    • Be mindful that your weapons will generate more heat as the WEP Capacitor depletes - see point #1.
  3. Premium Ammo only requires:
    • 8 Carbon (Raw, G1)
    • 4 Vanadium (Raw, G2)
    • 8 Crystal Shards (Manufactured, G1 - Trade down with Exquisite Focus Crystals from Mission Rewards)
    • 6 Guardian Power Cells (Guardian, G1 - Farm from Guardian Sites as you're getting Weapon Blueprints)
  4. Use them on a ship whose hardpoints will converge on something smaller than a moon Clipper fixed auto-harmonization when????
So how long does it take to kill a Cyclops with four of the modified Shard cannons using standard ammo?

Soo. I have a leftover FDS sitting around. Would a build like this work or do I need module reinforcement on it?
Having a quick look at the build, here's what I suggest:
  • Change the Beam to a Turreted Long Range | Thermal Vent one
    • Thermal Vent works off of a Beam's Thermal Load, which is reduced by the Efficient Mod and therefore won't cool the ship as effectively
    • While it's below the nose of the FDS, the turret will attempt to track your target and keep you cool even if you are turning away from the Interceptor. You might need to adjust your flight style to take better advantage of that.
    • Turrets also have a lower Distributor Draw than Fixed or Gimbaled; a single Thermal Vent Turret is enough to cool off both my FAS and Clipper, provided the WEP Capacitor is topped off.
      • Weapons generate more heat as the WEP capacitor drains.
  • Replace the Guardian HRPs with standard Heavy Duty | Deep Plating to stack MJs for days.
  • Drop in a 3D and 2D Guardian MRP for good module protection (I run two 2Ds on my Clipper and have tanked Hydra Lighting attacks effortlessly).
  • Use a 5A Repair Limpet Controller to help regen some hull HP when you can.
  • Swap out the Guardian Powerplant for an Armored | Thermal Spread one to increase your Powerplant's survivability and reduce your base heat generation.
  • Use a Charge Enhanced | Super Conduits Distributor to keep your weapons firing. With the above Powerplant, you shouldn't need the extra 4% power bonus from the Guardian Distro.
And probably a few other minor things I forgot here and there. ED Shipyard link for the above:

Depending on where you are in the Engineering grind, this may require quite a bit of effort to retrofit your FDS into something that can survive just about anything. FDS's, while slow, are known to be absolute tanks :D

Hmmm....

I was wondering about a ship to "explore" all the new thargyness and I was thinking of a Cutter (simply for it's speed and the number of slots available for HRPs/MRPs) but I'm now thinking an iClipper might be a viable alternative. :unsure:
Clippers have the speed to outrun any Thargoid and the durability to stare down a Hydra. Only thing really holding it back is the hardpoint placement, but that's not an insurmountable issue with a bit of practice.

I'm going to need a lot of weapon blueprints. Sigh.
Happy relogging! 🥳

I always feel like going crazy when I watch these videos.
Thargs seem to be way, way more aggressive towards me.
Pretty sure it´s something I´m doing wrong, but what exactly?
Thargoids track your ship based on its current heat percentage: if it's below ~25% and you're moving fast enough, their shots won't connect and you can avoid the majority of the incoming fire.

So how long does it take to kill a Cyclops with four of the modified Shard cannons using standard ammo?
I took out the Cyclops in the first video with stock ammo, so about 2-3 minutes with practice and relatively relaxed flying. I could probably drop that down to 1-2 if I was a bit more aggressive with burning down the shields, but I was working on my flakless swarm management there.

I've been trying to get the Mbooni permit today but having no success. I've been to LHS 1163 and T Tauri and have Allied status with Azimuth but they are not offering the permit. Do I have to screw them over and increase my standing again in order to trigger the permit mission?

Are the Modified Shard Cannons really better than the regular Guardian Gausses? I've been using Gausses as AX meta for Interceptors since... well, foerever tbh.

Most if not all Anti Xeno guides disregard the Shard Cannons, but then again, very few if any mentions the Salvation Modified ones, just the regular ones.

I'm asking this because those Salvation Shards are a pain in the xxx to unlock, as you must pay for each individual purchase (which means, 4 guardian blueprints, plus the other minor components, sigh... :( )

Last edited:
I've been trying to get the Mbooni permit today but having no success. I've been to LHS 1163 and T Tauri and have Allied status with Azimuth but they are not offering the permit. Do I have to screw them over and increase my standing again in order to trigger the permit mission?
I got the permit yesterday from the megaship Glorious Prospect in LHS 1163. I needed to do one courier mission to reach Allied status. When I returned to Glorious Prospect the permit "mission" was top of the list on the Mission Board. I just accepted the mission and immediately received the permit.

Are the Modified Shard Cannons really better than the regular Guardian Gausses? I've been using Gausses as AX meta since... well, foerever tbh.

Nope, salvation shards are not better.
But they're easier to use since they dont require much aiming - just to shoot in the general direction of the interceptor's heart (but they will do waaay less damage than gausses, assuming one can aim with the gausses)

So they will be easier to go against cyclops and basilisks, but not against medusa and hydra.

When I did my first AX CZ in the recent skirmishes I couldn't actually see the hearts. I was quite far away and the combined munitions of a dozen CMDRs unloading in the style of that guy with the minigun from Predator pretty much obscured any details, and I didn't have the xeno scanner.

Yes but I think you can get the permit out in the Coalsack region. From Galnet 11/15/3308:
"Azimuth Biotech has announced that the Glorious Prospect will distribute the Mbooni permit from the LHS 1163 system"
iirc you have to be aligned with the right faction (done in bubble?) first before you go out there to get the permit ?

Are the Modified Shard Cannons really better than the regular Guardian Gausses? I've been using Gausses as AX meta for Interceptors since... well, foerever tbh.

Most if not all Anti Xeno guides disregard the Shard Cannons, but then again, very few if any mentions the Salvation Modified ones, just the regular ones.

I'm asking this because those Salvation Shards are a pain in the xxx to unlock, as you must pay for each individual purchase (which means, 4 guardian blueprints, plus the other minor components, sigh... :( )

Don't confuse regular Guardian Shards with Salvation Shards, they are on a whole other level. Same with regular Guardian Plasma and Salvation Plasma.
I soloed Hydras more than once in a Cutter with Salvation Shards and a Corvette with Salvation Plasmas. They are good enough, though require different handling.

In the end of the day i believe Gauss is still king. But how long do we gauss goids? I am tired of it, I was so happy when the Salvation versions of Plasma and Shards came to the game!

What I am saying is: "go for it!"

Did notice that too. The article may have been release (yet again) too early?
I think in this case it's not Galnet's fault but the tech brokers. ;)

Today Sally said that it's a known issue and they are looking into it. So I guess they should already be there.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I think in this case it's not Galnet's fault but the tech brokers. ;)

Today Sally said that it's a known issue and they are looking into it. So I guess they should already be there.
nice one, thanks! missed that info.

Any merit in going to Guardian sites in open and teaming up with the other CMDRs we're bound to find there? Is group Guardinning better?

Any merit in going to Guardian sites in open and teaming up with the other CMDRs we're bound to find there? Is group Guardinning better?

Nope, not really.
Guardian sites are best done solo - they're easy enough.
Just make sure you keep aware of the surroundings, dont advance too fast / too much and deal with the Sentries when they pop.
Eventually you'll learn the layout and things will become even easier

Having someone else on the spot is not going to help much, you still get a single blueprint per relic so once you do it, you need to reset it for the other guy.
Hence, it takes twice as long

Shard cannons are just AX frag cannons.

Unless things have changed, you just go up to a Interceptor and start blasting. It's fun, but if you're good with Gauss Cannons, this will not be better for you.

Top Bottom