I'll show an amazing magic trick!

All right folks, let's see how amazing is Odyssey design "solutions", and the magical way design problems are created, shall we?
You arrive at some "no gravity" station (yeah, those with pizza boxes, cardboard boxes and all stuff "glued" in the floor), and chose one of two options of elevator's tubes (there's only 2 tubes because... it's a small station, right?):

20210826233039_1.jpg

Then, after you take one of the tubes, you arrive at the station's main deck... with FOUR ELEVATOR TUBES!!! (the main deck has four elevators because... it is bigger somehow, I suppose?):
20210826233100_1.jpg

Ok. Now you are thinking, "Obviously the two tubes on the extreme sides are the ones that goes to the lower ship decks! DUH!"

All right, all right. I'll not ask you about the usefulness of the two inner tubes. I'll dare and take one of those inner tubes to my deck! And now THE MAGIC HAPPENS!

If I chose one of the two inner elevator's tubes they arrive.. at MY SHIP's DECK too!! WOW!!!

How they did that? Frontier created a curved, inter-directional elevator tubes! Amazing!

Yeah... nope. It's another weird Odyssey design mistake.

All right folks, let's see how amazing is Odyssey design "solutions", and the magical way design problems are created, shall we?
You arrive at some "no gravity" station (yeah, those with pizza boxes, cardboard boxes and all stuff "glued" in the floor), and chose one of two options of elevator's tubes (there's only 2 tubes because... it's a small station, right?):

View attachment 259481
Then, after you take one of the tubes, you arrive at the station's main deck... with FOUR ELEVATOR TUBES!!! (the main deck has four elevators because... it is bigger somehow, I suppose?):
View attachment 259482

Ok. Now you are thinking, "Obviously the two tubes on the extreme sides are the ones that goes to the lower ship decks! DUH!"

All right, all right. I'll not ask you about the usefulness of the two inner tubes. I'll dare and take one of those inner tubes to my deck! And now THE MAGIC HAPPENS!

If I chose one of the two inner elevator's tubes they arrive.. at MY SHIP's DECK too!! WOW!!!

How they did that? Frontier created a curved, inter-directional elevator tubes! Amazing!

What.

wonkavators...we've done this already
Aren't they like turbolifts in star trek? ie, they go to more places than just the hanger and the lobby and don't travel on single up-down tracks?

No, they're more like the vacuum tubes at the bank drive-thru or the remake of Fantasy Island.

BTW: I had this same experience as OP for the first time yesterday.

Fdev has "future content" they will offer by taking a lift you think will take you to from the concourse to your hanger, but when the doors open, you walk out into a "Thagroid" hive, where the "Thagroids" are on foot with weapons and shoot goo at you. You must destroy the queen Thagroid while collecting intelligence and alien weapons.

The other lift takes you to a "hidden shipyard" of abandoned 1984 Elite ships you can rebuild and bring into the game. It's all based on Frontier's tested, tried and true, mysterious RNG when you enter the lift. There is also a "hidden" NPC factory where if you step off the lift, they will stun you and turn you into an NPC.

Come on Frontier, there is plenty of content to be had just for a bit of imagination.

;)

What I still want to know is, why do you get in a separate elevator for Apex, when the drop off point for apex doesn't use these elevators.
If you then get another Apex you can arrive at the same ship, with the same pilot.

But you can't use the normal elevators to get to an Apex taxi, even though, they also go to the landing pads.
Now, if there was a security checkpoint or ticket checking service, I would get it. But its just an open area.

😁 So many elevators, when clearly they are omnidirectional.

Also, I do love how they have the most basic of interface (up / down button) but when you press it, you get a new ui to choose one option :D

Also, I do love how they have the most basic of interface (up / down button) but when you press it, you get a new ui to choose one option :D

Have you played Odyssey in a team where another player has their ship docked at the same station? When you do, their ship appears in that UI. On larger stations, in a team of 4, that menu shows your ship and the other three, as long as they all have 2 or 3 seats.

Have you played Odyssey in a team where another player has their ship docked at the same station? When you do, their ship appears in that UI. On larger stations, in a team of 4, that menu shows your ship and the other three, as long as they all have 2 or 3 seats.

I haven't, and yeah that makes sense.. but still, magic button is magic :)
Perhaps it should have resembled a data port, instead of an up/down button that doesn't have an up/down option in the new ui presented ;)

Never mind, take one of the large bay elevators and see if you arrive at the expected bay on the concourse... Remembering that you turned around once you got in the lift...

Top Bottom