I'm going to start advocating for improved PvE criminal gameplay.

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
I think the issue with 'crime' as legitimate gameplay is that none of the infrastructure to make it actual gameplay really exist.

Firstly, bounties are far too easy to get, so the repercussions for getting them have to remain trivial otherwise it can become gamebreakinig for players who get them for non serious offenses. Personally I would say that bounties should only ever be got for actual assault or destruction to a ship. Not for loitering, not for destroying skimmers, and fines should not turn into bounties but should simply be major faction wide, and remain until they are paid off or added to a re-buy.

Once bounties are only given for serious offenses, then the repercussions for having a bounty can be more severe. They should of course last forever, or until they are collected.

Then there need to be places that 'criminal' players can go and still effectively play the game. Anarchies, presumably, with pirate factions that give out decent missions, potential for reasonable shipyards and outfitting, decent commodity markets (including black markets obviously). So these systems need to be places a CMDR would want to call home with stuff to do on the days they don't necessarily want to be hunted all the time.

Then the risk for the criminal player is venturing out into non anarchy systems (with their wanted status, which should again be major faction wide) in order to commit piracy, murder or whatever it is they want to do, with hopefully the added gameplay of having to avoid security services and NPC bounty hunters, and having some kind of potential gameplay tactics to do that, perhaps modules that can confuse a scanner for long enough that the pirate has a chance of making a getaway, I don't really know.

In the previous games, it was really quite difficult to get bounties for legitimate gameplay. I remember assassinating senators and governors as well as mafia bosses, and as long as you did it out of the sight of the law (and space is big, you just had to not be dumb and open up too near civilization) you never even got a fine, let alone a bounty. And let's not mention that I could nuke a base and my reputation and status would be none the worse for wear. :D FD had to make the game 'all seeing' because I presume of multi-player, but for as long as the authorities are all seeing, there's not really much chance of a criminal career, PvE or otherwise.

Personally, I also play a law abiding CMDR, but clearly there is a demand from players to role play their fantasy of being bad. :) Perhaps once the PF bounties and karma start to address player on player crime, then FD can revisit PvE crime and make it fun for those that want it.

A fine comes from committing the crime of Assault. It may not come with an automatic bounty, it's been a very long time since I interdicted anything clean, but for the sake of the player being interdicted, he gets the right to fire back right away. So, it's enough to excuse the interdicted for taking the bounty.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. If a clean ship interdicts another clean ship, then the interdictor gets a fine, but not wanted status, so if the interdictee fired at the interdictor they would be assaulting a clean ship. (None of this takes anything to with PP into account.)

Last edited:
Actually, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. If a clean ship interdicts another clean ship, then the interdictor gets a fine, but not wanted status, so if the interdictee fired at the interdictor they would be assaulting a clean ship. (None of this takes anything to with PP into account.)

I am sure that the player being interdicted gets the green light to fire back, automatically when interdicted. That's what happens to me. Once you are in regular space, the interdicted Commander doesn't even have to resolve a scan, it's instant open season. If the only crime on the attacker is that interdiction, it's like 200 credits. That's what makes me sure that the interdicting Commander gets a bounty.

I am sure that the player being interdicted gets the green light to fire back, automatically when interdicted. That's what happens to me. Once you are in regular space, the interdicted Commander doesn't even have to resolve a scan, it's instant open season. If the only crime on the attacker is that interdiction, it's like 200 credits. That's what makes me sure that the interdicting Commander gets a bounty.

I can't speak for player on player, but certainly the last time I interdicted a clean NPC I just got a fine and was not wanted... I presume that would be the same for a clean NPC interdicting me. That said, it's very unusual for the game to have a clean NPC (other than system authority) interdict you, and yes, then the scan info shows up immediately, and of course because they are wanted you can fire away with abandon. :)

The behavior described by the OP doesn't surprise me. The anonymous nature of the digital world breeds bad behavior.

I hope that the individuals involved, if found in conflict w/ rules, are dealt with.

I've stopped posting on the web, with the exception of this forum, because of the exact behavior OP has described.

I don't have to waste time with such folk.

I like PvP piracy, but... Eh. The toxicity I've been receiving in the past few weeks has been unbearable. No, you won't recall it me being me who interdicted you if you were flying a Hauler, or if you interdicted me. I don't have the name "Un1k0rn" in-game anymore, and I'm not going to tell you my new name in full. Just pointing that out.

It's important to remember that in human encounters, every individual's experience will be different.

Now my problem isn't loggers. It's the verbal attacks I've been subjected to. Don't worry, all instances were reported. That isn't the point of this thread, other than it's why I'm making a change of stance on criminal gameplay. I'm no longer going to play in Open, as I don't wish to be insulted simply for playing a game.

With my change of stance however, I have a new cause to take, and that cause is to advocate improvements for PvE criminal gameplay. I invite everyone to join the discussions that I hope to start in the near future.

I don't expect anyone to care, and really, my message is, does anyone else want to see vast improvements to PvE criminal gameplay?

Have fun, whatever mode you play.

I find myself in agreement with you regarding toxicity on comms; there is no place for that in the game, and in my opinion this is what the block feature was truly meant to deal with.

Oh, I see. This isn't a thread about spiffing up Criminal game play. It's here to discuss how poorly peeps are treated in Comms. I was decieved. I wish you'd have said so, I wouldn't have wasted the time writing about that other stuffs. Carry on.

I like PvP piracy, but... Eh. The toxicity I've been receiving in the past few weeks has been unbearable. No, you won't recall it me being me who interdicted you if you were flying a Hauler, or if you interdicted me. I don't have the name "Un1k0rn" in-game anymore, and I'm not going to tell you my new name in full. Just pointing that out.

It's important to remember that in human encounters, every individual's experience will be different.

Now my problem isn't loggers. It's the verbal attacks I've been subjected to. Don't worry, all instances were reported. That isn't the point of this thread, other than it's why I'm making a change of stance on criminal gameplay. I'm no longer going to play in Open, as I don't wish to be insulted simply for playing a game.

With my change of stance however, I have a new cause to take, and that cause is to advocate improvements for PvE criminal gameplay. I invite everyone to join the discussions that I hope to start in the near future.

I don't expect anyone to care, and really, my message is, does anyone else want to see vast improvements to PvE criminal gameplay?

Go full dark side, Unikorn!

Kill Comms, kill CMDRs and rejoice in the silence afterwards. Poetic.

I don't mind pirates that much, but I'm usually too busy going through my escape drill to notice the difference between a npc/pvp/pirate/ganker/whatever until it's too late. Sending a text before interdiction might help.

Ah - that bit was missing from the proposal.

Probably because it's kind of obvious you'd see the pilot and ship name after scanning given that's already the case? Someone shouldn't have to reiterate how the game already behaves, otherwise posts end up so long winded trying to account for every "Ah but you didn't mention xxxx! Therefore I poo-poo in the general direction of your entire suggestion!". :p

-------

On the general topic of criminal playstyles, it's definitely something lacking significant support in the game. About the closest thing Frontier have done to acknowledge it is even a possible playstyle is the introduction of hatch breakers.... but hatch breakers and how they act don't really mesh at all with the lack of long term persistence and how such interactions hinge entirely on both sides mutually agreeing to sit around and take part.

As soon as one person in the interaction decides they'd rather not, then the entire utilisation of the game tools Frontier have provided just falls apart.... and you have players left with tools to use for a specific activity, but introduced into an environment where that activity is denied by everyone else, both in PvP and PvE... it all suffers from the same duct-taped approach fuelled by indecision on establishing a firm stance on WHAT Elite Dangerous is in regards to such things.

Eventually if Frontier want Elite Dangerous to be taken seriously by the playerbase long term and wish to develop a healthier community culture than the one that has (un)developed over the years since release, then what they need to do is firmly decide a stance on the matter. Not flit around trying to duct tape random brain farts each aimed at accommodating completely contrasting stances. Elite Dangerous needs a firm solid direction on such things if the games ever going to mature properly and the community to get beyond the degeneration that's taken place in terms of player in-game expectations and reactions to their interactions with fellow players.

Be it Frontier deciding that it's designed to be unforgiving and loss-filled with the mechanics adjusted to stop legitimate playstyles from requiring both parties to be 100% consensual to every action taken place, and that some players will feel like they're being 'victimised' because they don't have a godmode escape method to just opt out of any interaction they might find themselves in.

Or that Elite Dangerous ends up as some post-Millennial 'good feels' experience, where everything is based on 100% consensual agreement, potentially legitimate playstyles get canned and ejected from the game because they don't mesh with the idea that one player shouldn't be able to dictate an experience on another unless they agree upon taking on that experience.

This might seem off-topic on the subject of PvE criminal gameplay, but until the Frontier even know where the frell their game is even meant to positioning itself and firmly establish that stance with changes in-game. Then no one can expect the tools being developed for the game to really be suitable for any intended purposes... again just look at Hatch breakers.

Last edited:
The irony here is that some people complain about toxicity in the game, when they regularly participate in it on the forums. Can't have it both ways.

The irony here is that some people complain about toxicity in the game, when they regularly participate in it on the forums. Can't have it both ways.

If you think you've seen toxicity on this forum, you really don't have any clue what we're talking about. The worst it gets here is differing opinions, while in game chat is next level toxicity in some cases.

Probably because it's kind of obvious you'd see the pilot and ship name after scanning given that's already the case? Someone shouldn't have to reiterate how the game already behaves, otherwise posts end up so long winded trying to account for every "Ah but you didn't mention xxxx! Therefore I poo-poo in the general direction of your entire suggestion!". :p

-------

On the general topic of criminal playstyles, it's definitely something lacking significant support in the game. About the closest thing Frontier have done to acknowledge it is even a possible playstyle is the introduction of hatch breakers.... but hatch breakers and how they act don't really mesh at all with the lack of long term persistence and how such interactions hinge entirely on both sides mutually agreeing to sit around and take part.

As soon as one person in the interaction decides they'd rather not, then the entire utilisation of the game tools Frontier have provided just falls apart.... and you have players left with tools to use for a specific activity, but introduced into an environment where that activity is denied by everyone else, both in PvP and PvE... it all suffers from the same duct-taped approach fuelled by indecision on establishing a firm stance on WHAT Elite Dangerous is in regards to such things.

Eventually if Frontier want Elite Dangerous to be taken seriously by the playerbase long term and wish to develop a healthier community culture than the one that has (un)developed over the years since release, then what they need to do is firmly decide a stance on the matter. Not flit around trying to duct tape random brain farts each aimed at accommodating completely contrasting stances. Elite Dangerous needs a firm solid direction on such things if the games ever going to mature properly and the community to get beyond the degeneration that's taken place in terms of player in-game expectations and reactions to their interactions with fellow players.

Be it Frontier deciding that it's designed to be unforgiving and loss-filled with the mechanics adjusted to stop legitimate playstyles from requiring both parties to be 100% consensual to every action taken place, and that some players will feel like they're being 'victimised' because they don't have a godmode escape method to just opt out of any interaction they might find themselves in.

Or that Elite Dangerous ends up as some post-Millennial 'good feels' experience, where everything is based on 100% consensual agreement, potentially legitimate playstyles get canned and ejected from the game because they don't mesh with the idea that one player shouldn't be able to dictate an experience on another unless they agree upon taking on that experience.

This might seem off-topic on the subject of PvE criminal gameplay, but until the Frontier even know where the frell their game is even meant to positioning itself and firmly establish that stance with changes in-game. Then no one can expect the tools being developed for the game to really be suitable for any intended purposes... again just look at Hatch breakers.

I loved this post so much! Thank you for the clear, concise exposition!

OP this is interesting. Are you a PC, xbox or ps4 player? I very, very rarely get verbal abuse as a pirate. It might be what you put in comms? Short messages can be interpretated wrong. Also, add some humor. I'm an Xbox player.

Also, you get my vote for pve career criminal activities!

o7

You're welcome to pirate me, Un1k0rn.

Or try. ;)

After wing shenanigans, piracy is the next most fun form of player interaction, and I wish more of the murder hobos would be replaced with player pirates.
Then I'd always fly in Open. :)

As for better PvE piracy, yes please!
More tools, more gameplay. :)
I'll probably still suck at it. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Both the PvE and PvP aspects of criminal gameplay need some TLC from the dev team. The C&P changes coming next week are a good start, but much more needs to be done to incentivise criminal gameplay, along with the punishment.

A good start would be to adjust the behaviour of collector limpets, so that they can collect while your ship is moving instead of smashing your sweet shiny stolen diamonds into your hull :mad:

PvE piracy has been repeatedly and needlessly fiddled with, making it less and less lucrative on top of more of a chore to pull off.

I remember even PvP pirates complaining about it (including Gluttony) and whenever they tried to provide themselves with proper gameplay the general reply is how they deserve nothing because they are the scourge of this game.

But they are the toxic ones of course.

Welcome to my world, I received death threats on these forums because I just like to fly spaceships and blow up other cmdr spaceships.

Top Bottom