I'm still not convinced to buy OD. Please convince me.

then you have to change your title... or even better ... look trough couple of videos on YT to see it all
instead of asking someone else opinions to convince you.
Because it’s like asking someone who likes green color try to change your opinion on the red color you like.
I asked a simple 2 questions:
What GAMEPLAY OD offers besides very fiew types of pew pew missions in settlements that are similar to each other?
What else can I do, besides those missions to just not being a slower SRV version on random planets?

so far Exard3k was able to provide one answer

Deleted member 182079

D
Yeah, I think if everything they'd done actually worked it would be pretty sweet - taking out (or sneaking around) a bunch of raiders to repair a base is great fun. But it's still too rare to get a completely functional run at the moment.
Yep - my original intention was to find a low traffic system and run ground missions there to work the BGS, but it's not worth it right now given all these problems.

I'll continue to do some sightseeing (not exploration but checking out locations to see what they look like now - although Farseer and in fact all engineer bases were a major let down) and dip in and out various activities but nothing too serious. Not much I can do than wait it out, hopefully they manage to turn this around sooner than later (and the first patch is certainly encouraging, at least on "paper").

My opinion on experience with Odyssey is that 90% of the time. I have to switch to Horizon to skip the broken Odyssey content, that is not working. That prevents me from enjoying Elite Dangerous. Biologically sites are completely missing in Odyssey. However you can switch back to Horizon to do them. In Odyssey there is a jumping bug, however if you swap back to Horizon and clear your route settings you can jump again. In Odyssey some the visuals are completely bugged or missing. However if you switch back to Horizon visuals are mostly fine. All and all in my opinion Odyssey at this point in time is a complete downgrade from Horizon.

If I was you knowing what I know now. I'd hold off on buying Odyssey for 6 or so months. Till F Dev make decent for play.

Saw someone complaining about the transportation missions earlier (go to settlement, pick up item from a container, go back to station). Boring, they said. Where's the gameplay?

They completely missed the point of Odyssey and Elite in general.

This is not a game where you get scripted missions, cutscenes and the like. That transport mission is an opportunity to visit a base, scope it out and decide what you're going to do next:

Lift a few loose items without getting spotted, then head back with the mission item and your stolen loot.

Clone someone's ID, avoid getting scanned, and loot a bit more heavily - including stealing data from various terminals.
(If you're good you can turn off the alarms, power down the whole base and steal their regulator. All without being seen or killing anyone.)

Slip your energy tool into lethal mode and silently kill a few NPCs to facilitate even more looting in higher-security areas like the CMD building.

Or you can go full Rambo and take everyone out, then back your SRV into the middle of the compound and fill your boots.

Missions are just a guideline to get you started. The rest comes from your own mind. Some people really don't like that, while free-formers and creative types enjoy it because they can just take an Apex from settlement to settlement picking up documents or they can turn it into a slaughterfest, depending on their mood.

Check out the Steam user reviews

A lot of reviews are about network problems, which the hotfixes seem to have addressed.

A lot of reviews are about frame rates, but don't mention if they're trying to use 2.0x supersampling or Ultra graphics settings on a GTX780. (And yes, the frame rates need to be looked at. Hence the delay until the console release, I'm guessing.)

I suspect a lot of people leaving negative reviews wanted ship interiors, and they're annoyed they didn't get them even though we were told they weren't in the expansion. Same for new srvs and other rumoured content.

I was disappointed there was no way to disembark on my fleet carrier, even a basic interior with four blank walls, because that means my friends who are just starting out in Odyssey can't use Apex shuttles to gather in one place for a mission. (Never mind the fact teams have four people and none of the ships in the game can carry more than three.)

Odyssey needs work, but I'm hoping we'll see a bit of new content and a lot of optimisation leading up to the console release. Otherwise, those users are just going to look at the PC reviews and not bother.

Anyone who buys Odyssey is simply encouraging Frontier to continue providing half baked content littered with semi-broken features.

Nothing will ever change until people start having some actual standards and voting with their wallets.

If EDO was a Kickstarter pitch, would you support fdev with 40$ to make this game become what it can be?

If the answer is yes - then here you go.

What GAMEPLAY OD offers besides very fiew types of pew pew missions in settlements that are similar to each other?
What else can I do, besides those missions to just not being a slower SRV version on random planets?

Serious question.
For right now I would say no, you probably shouldn't buy it. Fdev has ALOT of fixing to do before I could honestly recommend this to anyone. I'm hoping whatever other game play stuff they have held back (Thargoid ground combat for example.) will be a novel set of mechanics.

I would say check back in 6 months, IE Console Release and see what improvements, polish and additions made, and even then reserve judgement. If it goes on sale in the meantime, you could pick it up for cheap if the price point gets low enough somewhere where you could buy it and sit on it for a bit.

Why - Kickstarter is exactly that - A pitch, some examples...a Roadmap....- give me money...no?
Yeah but when the deliverable comes, if it's this screwed up, after collecting THAT amount of cash, depending on the situation, kickstarter will investigate for fraud to determine if you intentionally made the cheapest deliverable just so you can pocket the remaining cash or if you just suck as a game developer.

Yeah but when the deliverable comes, if it's this screwed up, after collecting THAT amount of cash, depending on the situation, kickstarter will investigate for fraud to determine if you intentionally made the cheapest deliverable just so you can pocket the remaining cash or if you just suck as a game developer.
And this is what I'm saying - The only way you would buy into it now - is of you CHOOSE to look at it as only a Kickstarter pitch, rather than a delivered product, and buy it for 40$. you'd be doing fdev a favor at this point, I realize that, and I'm saying - if your answer is yes to this pitch - go ahead and buy it

Here's my attempt.

ED combat is basically your ONLY option for open world high TTK combat in anything resembling modern titles.

Well no I lie apparently The Division is a viable alternative.

Top Bottom