Imperial Slaves - A Proposition

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This game is a part of my real life. I understand and hear that you would prefer to act out your slave trading fantasy in a game. My preference is that it's not in the game, and have stated so in this thread with multiple reasons to support that preference, which was why I made it.

You're beginning to sound suspiciously like someone else on this forum who only last week was accusing some of being slavery fetishists just because they didn't happen to agree with that persons arguments or lack of. Although in that persons case the arguments they were having existed between their left and right ears and were in no way a reflection of what others were saying to them.

Just out of curiosity what's your views on drugs and selling of weapons to star systems in various states of conflict of have you not covered that sort of conduct in your real life work place. Can we look forward to a thread from your some time next week saying drugs are bad and should be removed from the game?

Seems petty that you'd attempt to discredit OP's statements based on assumptions

OP singled out one thread of (fictional) lore in the setting of a (fictional) game that contains many other morally questionable (fictional) threads, so I thought it might be a fair assumption that such sensitivities extend to other games too otherwise we’re not being fair are we?

I mean, look at any Call of Battlefield game produced with a modern-day setting, often in some (fictional) tin-pot Middle Eastern dictatorship with some (fictional) cardboard cut-out baddies who usually tick several stereotype boxes which may or may not be distasteful, depending on your angle.

I’d rather be ejecting slaves into the cold vacuum of space to spare them a life of servitude in the 34th century, frankly 🤷‍♂️

Can anyone name one society that didn't radically improve after the abolition of slavery?

I think y'all are missing the point that Fdev intended for this to spark debate and perhaps it was assumed that we'd come together and make the decision to abolish slavery as a community.

Can anyone name one society that didn't radically improve after the abolition of slavery?

I think y'all are missing the point that Fdev intended for this to spark debate and perhaps it was assumed that we'd come together and make the decision to abolish slavery as a community.
As I pointed out ages ago EDs society is not uniform, its not all high tech, parts of it have cultural differences but all of it lives in the shadow of institutionalized distrust of AI that for ages powered humanity's growth. Not everyone wants or can afford crop harvesters, but instead rely on manual labour.

You're beginning to sound suspiciously like someone else on this forum who only last week was accusing some of being slavery fetishists just because they didn't happen to agree with that persons arguments or lack of. Although in that persons case the arguments they were having existed between their left and right ears and were in no way a reflection of what others were saying to them.

Just out of curiosity what's your views on drugs and selling of weapons to star systems in various states of conflict of have you not covered that sort of conduct in your real life work place. Can we look forward to a thread from your some time next week saying drugs are bad and should be removed from the game?

No, I'm okay with drug dealing, because the user needs to consent to its use. Yes, drug use kills people, and the crimes associated with it kill people, but a person has the freedom to choose to use or not use drugs in the first place. FWIW, I don't trade in illegal stuff in the game. Although I did once accidentally bring some liquor to a religious system, and got stuck in the mail slot trying to get out. Oops.

Whoever the person is to whom you refer, I'm not them nor am I aware of their perspectives.

Here's the crux of the point to me, which I already made several times and why I said I was done with this thread, but out of respect for your question, I'll try to restate as briefly as possible.

Slavery is a horrifying practice that undermines the very fundamentals of human natural rights, and it has been reduced to a cold and abstract concept without respect to the millions of people who are still living with the cultural hangover of slavery today, then implemented as a profitable game mechanic in a game whose core value proposition is providing a simulated experience as the commander of a space ship intended to be used for trading, combat, and exploration. I find that disturbing and wrong, and only now got the motivation to finally state my perspective despite the fact that I figured that I was walking into a den of conflict, willful misunderstanding, and name-calling. The forum did not disappoint in this regard.

So I guess this is my question back to you: is the presence of active slave trading in Elite so important that its removal considerably diminishes the value that Elite provides to you as a consumer of space flight simulators such that you would quit if they took it out? Sub-question: If so, if the lore were able to remain intact, but Frontier managed to mount some sort of long term and engaging CG campaign that could potentially remove the practice from the game entirely while treating the issue with the gravitas it deserves, would you then also quit?

Last edited:
No, I'm okay with drug dealing, because the user needs to consent to its use. Yes, drug use kills people, and the crimes associated with it kill people, but a person has the freedom to choose to use or not use drugs in the first place. FWIW, I don't trade in illegal stuff in the game. Although I did once accidentally bring some liquor to a religious system, and got stuck in the mail slot trying to get out. Oops.

You might want to ask your employer to hurry up with the drug talk because that's not even close to being true. What about the thousands of children born addicted to drugs because their parent consumed them during gestation? What of those who are forcibly made to take drugs in order for them to be compliant in regards to modern slavery and prostitution.

You have a problem with slavery and guess what so do I and I dare say you'd struggle to find someone on the forum who doesn't see an issue with it but lets not forget this is a game and its setting is pretty dystopian. If we start to remove things from the game then we may as well shut it down because there are any number of troubling aspects of the lore besides slavery.

No one has even mentioned the wholesale genocide of Thargoids during the first war.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom