In system jumps.

Lestat

Banned
Enticing people to engage in long, tedious activities with good rewards is bad game design. All that does is bait players into doing stuff they don't enjoy. This is supposed to be a game, not a boring job with a fair wage.
Then accept missions that are closer to the main star.

Instead of varying pay based on how much supercruise AFK-friendly tedium the player will have to endure, why not indeed vary the reward based on the risk of the mission? Better differentiate NPC threat across different security and system states, etc. Focus on making the game fun, instead of tricking players into doing stuff they don't enjoy... While they're presumably playing a game to have fun.
Or why not use some of the game mechanics we already have to find the mission that caters to your need. Short and sweet.

It beat clicking all the mission then complain about the long-distance ones.

Last edited:
Enticing people to engage in long, tedious activities with good rewards is bad game design. All that does is bait players into doing stuff they don't enjoy. This is supposed to be a game, not a boring job with a fair wage.
That depends if you find it tedious. Some do not. I do, so I don't engage in it. It a choice. Who has the right to take away gameplay that people do like.

Instead of varying pay based on how much supercruise AFK-friendly tedium the player will have to endure, why not indeed vary the reward based on the risk of the mission? Better differentiate NPC threat across different security and system states, etc. Focus on making the game fun, instead of tricking players into doing stuff they don't enjoy... While they're presumably playing a game to have fun.

I agree that should be included in the pay factors as well as how long it takes to get to the destination.

I also think that all missions should have time based bonuses was standard.

Also have a more risky and possibly costly way to traverse long distances faster within supercruise would be a good thing.

That I would be happy with. Giving options, the safe and lower but with less profit or the risky and dangerous with more profit. Can't see why we cant have both.

Make it micro jumps and there will only be one way.

Except those pauses are generally short, and can easily be filled with plotting your next move, and gathering information via watching the other player(s). It's not the same at all. Now if after each player's turn a box was placed over the board and nobody could see or touch it for ten minutes or so, then maybe there'd be some similarity.

I wasn't aware that the Galaxy Map, System Map, Contacts Screen, Navigation Screen, Transaction Screen and all the other screens in ED were disabled whilst you are in supercruise.
Not to mention all the USSs and NPCs that crop up whilst you're flying from A->B.
There are plenty of things one can be doing in SC that mean you can do much more than look at a 'screensaver'.

So, the comparison post works just fine.

Also, chess is kinda notorious for the long pauses between moves ;)

Then accept missions that are closer to the main star.

Or why not use some of the game mechanics we already have to find the mission that caters to your need. Short and sweet.

It beat clicking all the mission then complain about the long-distance ones.

You completely missed the point. IN GENERAL, using high rewards to entice players to engage in tedious activities IS BAD GAME DESIGN. People play games to have fun. The objective when designing an activity should be to make it fun. Instead of leaning on the concept of trying to balance reward with how much tedium the player has to endure, stop designing mechanics that the player has to ENDURE.

Don't try to trick players into doing an unemployable activity via a good reward. All this does is make players resent the game, and make it an endless balance challenge of trying to determine how much reward is due for X amount of suffering. Instead, entice players to engage in activities by actually making them fun. You know, so players want to do the activity i.e. PLAY THE GAME, and aren't just suffering through something to get a reward.

This would make a lot of sense, and a "nominal wake" could be added, allowing the following of intra system jumps by pirates/bounty hunters/creepy stalkers.

Put a special jamming system in alpha Centauri so the people I have trouble understanding but respect the encentricity of can have Thier crazy Hutton orbital thing

I would be in favour of local jumps, especially for exploration - make it an optional feature, then those against it don't have to use it and those who want the feature can.

I wasn't aware that the Galaxy Map, System Map, Contacts Screen, Navigation Screen, Transaction Screen and all the other screens in ED were disabled whilst you are in supercruise.
Not to mention all the USSs and NPCs that crop up whilst you're flying from A->B.
There are plenty of things one can be doing in SC that mean you can do much more than look at a 'screensaver'.

And uggh...don't get me started on the lack of respect for my time with trading. Having to go somewhere, land, gather commodities, fly somewhere else and sell them. It's just click, click, click. If I wanted to waste my time clicking, I'd play minsweeper. How about a trading module that will let me buy things from a market somewhere else, and then have it delivered where I am at maybe some reduced profit rate. Hell, we can do that NOW in the 21st century! That way the drawback will be having to take up a module spot, AND less profit, that way, if someone really wants tedium, they can do it the old school way.

Chess is only notorious for long pauses if the person you're playing against takes excessively long pauses. Also, there are entire leagues where you're on a time limit and this turns are very short.

Gal net only produces stories so often. Once you're caught up, it's not gonna help. The navigation screen and contacts screen are not exactly entertaining. I don't know how long you expect a static picture of the bodies in a system to remain entertaining. I don't personally consider faffing around in the galaxy map an endless source of entertainment. If I did, I'd probably just remain docked and play around in the galaxy map- being in supercruise changes nothing.

NPCs can generally only interdict you at the start of the trip or at the end, due to the way speed in supercruise works.

USSs COULD be interesting, but their current implementation is a joke. It interrupts and delays your journey to select and identify them, and highly often they're something that isn't relevant. "Oh look. Another convoy dispersal pattern. I'm not a pirate so..." If signal sources started out identified so you could determine if they're worth your time, and signal sources were actually designed to be fun and relevant for the usual "generic player out and about" then sure, those could be interesting. Too many of them are either too specific or pointless though, so identifying them is often a waste of time that makes a long boring segment of the game even longer.

I would like to see the FSD affect how fast you can go (and how maneuverable you are) in supercruise, particularly at a very low-weight:drive-size .
I think since they buff everything else they could buff the speed a little as an experiment with 2001c being the overweight/undersize E-class base.
Raise the maximum to 5000c (something high enough to make a noticeable difference but still maintaining the spirit) for super-underweight/oversized A-Class drives. Particularly increase the acceleration and decrease deceleration by up to .25 (depending on drive size:weight) and see how it goes.
If it's way too fast prune it back, if it isn't fast enough, double it.

Last edited:
And uggh...don't get me started on the lack of respect for my time with trading. Having to go somewhere, land, gather commodities, fly somewhere else and sell them. It's just click, click, click. If I wanted to waste my time clicking, I'd play minsweeper. How about a trading module that will let me buy things from a market somewhere else, and then have it delivered where I am at maybe some reduced profit rate. Hell, we can do that NOW in the 21st century! That way the drawback will be having to take up a module spot, AND less profit, that way, if someone really wants tedium, they can do it the old school way.

I agree. I also think I should be paid for the time I have to waste reading their dumb mission offers.

Stealthie

Banned
You see, this comparison doesn't work. You may find combat boring, but unless you're AFK turret farming (which is an engineers balance problem, not a design possible), combat requires constant input from the player. You are continuously engaged- tracking were the target is, and rotating to face them.

The long supercruise trips, you're literally doing nothing. You can turn off your monitor and leave your computer if you wanted to. Even if you find combat boring, it's at least a game. Doing literally nothing while your ship flies in a straight line is not; that's a loading screen, or a screen saver at best.

You don't get to pick and choose what criteria are applicable for declaring something "boring".

I agree. I also think I should be paid for the time I have to waste reading their dumb mission offers.

We need a module that can be used to go tell the mission givers to go get it themselves, that way our time isn't wasted ignoring the missions that are too boring and tedius to take.

You don't get to pick and choose what criteria are applicable for declaring something "boring".

I didn't. My whole point was that boring or not, it does involve constant player engagement and input. Long supercruise journeys do not. Even if someone finds BOTH boring, they're different problems.

One question.... 16 pages in and why isn't this on the Suggestion sub forum??? I post a rather inocuous 3 page suggestion here and it gets banished to Suggestions... Are the moderators even watching anymore?:p

One question.... 16 pages in and why isn't this on the Suggestion sub forum??? I post a rather inocuous 3 page suggestion here and it gets banished to Suggestions... Are the moderators even watching anymore?:p

That's preceicely why it is still here. Too much entertainment with this one, the 437th thread suggesting this exact same idea.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3

Lestat

Banned
I didn't. My whole point was that boring or not, it does involve constant player engagement and input. Long supercruise journeys do not. Even if someone finds BOTH boring, they're different problems.
There an easy fix for you. Don't accept long distance missions. Your problem will be solved. Mission reward tend to be random. So Long distance mission tend to be around the same as Short ones.

Before accepting a mission. Use the galaxy map. If you have to buy system data. Buy it. Then view the System map. If if the station is too far for you. Don't accept the mission.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
So, what did we learn here today? The monkeys are happy to push the lever over and over again!

I'm tired of fighting nonsense arguments. I think I have offered various solutions that include compromises to suit everyone. But it's useless as long as the stubborn are on an ego trip and think only of themselves!

I'm out for now and wonder about the stubbornness and uncompromising attitude of some people here!

Top Bottom