In system jumps.

All I can say is. People are different.
To me it's the mindless jump-jump-jump routine that has me worn out on long exploration trips.
The occasional long cruise however I really enjoy. That means I can relax, put on some nice music, and look at the cosmos while I drift through the void.
tumblr_mahy5ckLsQ1qap9uuo1_500.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing both a micro jump for in system travel and a hypercruise ability for interstellar travel.

So, you talked with David or Sandro?

He doesn't have to. David Braben has said it isn't going to happen, even, if for no other reason than to keep Hutton special.

OP: If you haven't made the pigramage to Hutton Orbit in Alpha Centaurie you haven't lived. It's a rite of passage - and they have two different Rares for sale. There a CG there a couple of years ago, which added the second one. I've been there at least 20 times.

Stealthie

Banned
590,000Ls is peanuts. I've traveled further to buy a bottle of pop. :p

Gotta say, I'm not totally averse to the idea of in-system jumps but I'd want them limiting so that you can only access an in-system "jump beacon" once you've been there and done something to earn the right to use it.

If it was up to me, for example, I'd probably set it up so that once you arrive at a station and become allied with the controlling faction there you can gain access to that station's "jump beacon" by paying, say, a Cr10m per month "subscription" fee.

I kind of like the idea of picking a station in the middle of nowhere as my home-base simply because it'd mean I'd probably never get any riff-raff bothering to turn up there.
I was seriously considering moving my Home-Base to Paterson Enterprise in Sirius just cos, as a permit-locked system, that'd help keep the pleb's out.

As for a way to use in-system jumps just so you can travel anywhere without effort; nope. Not keen on that.

Lestat

Banned
Source, or it didn't happen! As i told before, microjumps were descriped in detail in the concept book, so i wouldn't say never ever!

Well which concept book? Or are you talking about the book people written for frontier?

I would not mind in system jumps to stars or specially placed beacons - no idea why it would make game any smaller but it just me. Also I want autopilot but same as in jumps suggestion it wont happen probably :(

And another one who wants to take scale out of the game for sheer arrogant greed.

Bravo, way to introduce OP to our community, shame on you commander.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
I would not mind in system jumps to stars or specially placed beacons - no idea why it would make game any smaller
I think you are mixing Galaxy size with System size. It has nothing to do with the Galaxy. We have small systems and Large systems.

but it just me. Also, I want autopilot
Last topic people Pointed out Bots/Macros and CAPTCHA.

it wont happen probably :(
I hope it will never happen. All it takes is players using some common sense to avoid long distance system travel. Even with explorers. If you look at the system map and they all look like Ice planet you can jump to a new system. If it an Earthlike world that when a player has to make a choice. Is the distance worth it for the travel time?

Welcome to the forums OP :) I hope they do not add in system jumps, I like the difficulty level now in getting around . Most systems are easy to map out but those hard ones make you feel good when they are done. Enjoy exploring :)

Nah, long distance travel makes choice an important part of the game.

Besides, once you have done a Hutton run (or 5) 500kls is a short walk. =P

Just like how after going to Beagle Point, 5000ly is nothing... so is a short supercruise jaunt.

I hope it will never happen. All it takes is players using some common sense to avoid long distance system travel. Even with explorers. If you look at the system map and they all look like Ice planet you can jump to a new system. If it an Earthlike world that when a player has to make a choice. Is the distance worth it for the travel time?

Aaaaaannnd we're back to this old topic again:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...tars-amp-FSD?p=6164325&viewfull=1#post6164325

For the record, my opinion hasn't changed: a means to perform intra-system jumps between stars would be great. I'm happy for it to be an additional optional module, refillable by synthesis. That way the players who don't like it don't have to equip it.

Part of the problem with these long distances is that you don't actually know if there's any reason to wait upwards of 20 mins just to see if a planet has some nice terrain, or cool POI, or the materials you need, etc... Improved exploration mechanics would go a long way to giving people an incentive to travel long distances if they know the wait will be worth it.

So, +1 for intra-system jumps OP.

How would intra-system jumps make the game easier?

Seriously? The entire argument for them is to make the game easier. But if we need reasons, mission rewards are based on factors that include distance between stars and distance to location in a system from the primary star. Making intra-jumps a thing would require new mission reward calculations. I know that is not necessarily game breaking but is that sort of change really necessary just for some convenience? I dont think so.

Seriously? The entire argument for them is to make the game easier. But if we need reasons, mission rewards are based on factors that include distance between stars and distance to location in a system from the primary star. Making intra-jumps a thing would require new mission reward calculations. I know that is not necessarily game breaking but is that sort of change really necessary just for some convenience? I dont think so.

There is literally no skill involved in pointing your ship at a star and waiting for 30 mins.

Adding an intra-system jump mechanic would simply shorten the wait time. Everything else would remain unchanged.

So, again, how would this make the game easier? And how would such an optional module negatively impact the way you play the game right now?

Lestat

Banned
Aaaaaannnd we're back to this old topic again:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...tars-amp-FSD?p=6164325&viewfull=1#post6164325

For the record, my opinion hasn't changed: a means to perform intra-system jumps between stars would be great. I'm happy for it to be an additional optional module, refillable by synthesis. That way the players who don't like it don't have to equip it.
Which ruins gameplay for the others players.

You could of listen to my last post and use common sense. It is a required skill. When you do exploring or accepting a mission. If the star, planet, Moon, Station too far for you. You could use common sense to skip that system or don't accept that mission that requires long-distance travel.

Part of the problem with these long distances is that you don't actually know if there's any reason to wait upwards of 20 mins just to see if a planet has some nice terrain, or cool POI, or the materials you need, etc... Improved exploration mechanics would go a long way to giving people an incentive to travel long distances if they know the wait will be worth it.
So my guess is you don't use System map to get a general idea what the other system could be.

There is literally no skill involved in pointing your ship at a star and waiting for 30 mins.
Patience is an important skill in many things. Surgery, detective work, chess, sports, jobs, dealing with people etc. including video games.

Adding an intra-system jump mechanic would simply shorten the wait time. Everything else would remain unchanged.
It would give you access to the same things as me without requiring you to be patient like me. The reverse is I have to play it your way but my way disappears. You have alternatives, I don't.

So, again, how would this make the game easier?
Patience takes effort. Some of us appreciate things more when it takes effort.

And how would such an optional module negatively impact the way you play the game right now?
I can be intercepted by my enemies with ease unless I follow suit. Forces me to play their way or the sucker's way. Like BGS in open. No point. Should be but there isn't. You get your first discoveries easier. You get your money quicker. Anything that has to with travel you get a distinct advantage.
At least if it cost you a module slot that would be some compensation but we'd be playing two different games, with the one you're playing being the one recieving support, leaving us in the cold, so we fight it.

Lestat

Banned
Well Learn to use System map you can judge systems after you do the basic discovery scan. All about players using common sense.

So, again, how would this make the game easier? And how would such an optional module negatively impact the way you play the game right now?
Maybe your not looking at the whole game.
What about Pirates and Interdiction PvP and such. It would ruin that. Let say I am chasing you and Poof yours at the other end of the system That ruins the chasing mechanic of the game. That would impact the game. It could also be used in a wing and chase someone. If someone going to System B and a wing group at System A. One could mini Jump to system B and block the players from both sides. Two at system A while the Other at system B.

So How does it remain unchanged again?

Top Bottom