In system jumps.

So I will regurgitate a point I made on page 1. Removing supercruise distance will have the side effect of removing that as a variable from the calculation of mission rewards. Are we ok with that as consequence?

Again, player avoiding long supercruise times loses potential destinations. Player choosing to not use the hypothetical shortcut loses nothing. Not an equivalent exchange.

Sorry, Frenotx - I have to respectfully disagree that they lose nothing. Player choosing not to use the hypothetical shortcut loses the opportunity to tag the bodies that the player using the shortcut might otherwise have decided were too far to bother with or to fit into their available time.

I do wish that supercruise acceleration and deceleration were both a bit more aggressive, though. As someone who has limited time to play each week myself, I can fully appreciate that it seems a waste to use those precious minutes in Supercruise. It becomes a risk/reward decision - is it worth blowing my available time on the SC trip half-way to that star then logging out for a week, considering the risk of someone else turning up, scanning the planet and leaving before I get chance to come back.

How do you manage to do that in the 10 second hyperjump loading screen. Or are you talking about supercruise, as that is not hyperspace?

You make the hyperspace jump last 30-60 seconds instead of 10, but you fill it with gameplay and stuff to do, to discover, to manage.

More gameplay and more options, especially when well integrated, solve everyone's problems in my opinion, those who like to feel the emptiness of space and those who just want to play a spaceship game. Or me, sitting in the middle of those two groups.

You make the hyperspace jump last 30-60 seconds instead of 10, but you fill it with gameplay and stuff to do, to discover, to manage.
And then people will moan about more time gates. I can imagine it "everytime I do a hyperjump I have to do 60 seconds of uselss stuff that doesn't improve my game".

I can live with the hyperjump as is. I takes up very little time. It's the long supercruise journeys that need to have more options.

More gameplay and more options, especially when well integrated, solve everyone's problems in my opinion, those who like to feel the emptiness of space and those who just want to play a spaceship game. Or me, sitting in the middle of those two groups.
I'm all in for more gameplay options with supercruise to speed it up with cost and risk involved so it doesn't make the slow way a useless option.

Big nope from me (for the most part). Would it have been as big an achievement if Edmund Hillary had been transported to the top of Everest? Out in the black, exploration is exploration and expect it to take time.

However in inhabited space, it may be cool to be able to select any star rather than the primary as a jump-to point, with each star having its own nav beacon. But this then starts interfering with missions rewards based on distance from the primary...the more you think about it, the more implementation looks problematic.

The question being :

Does 100K+ ls SC flights bring good things to the table, or are these just terribly bland.

I fount them "fun" the first 12 times, because they give quite a sense of scale. After that they are just a time sink.

I would :

1) add star to star micro jumps or allow for micro jumps in SC, like boosting, once far enough from massive objects. Call it a skip drive, i.e. boost to "skip" a few K ls (no loading screen).
2) improve SC acceleration when far enough from masses, and allow for speeds above 2K c
3) have stuff happen during those long SC travels. Maybe anomalies, hidden loot cache, secret com relays... unless there is a reason beyond scale for SC long distance travel, it's a pointless mechanic.

I love ED, but I find combat to be boring. It's just a constant cycle of scan, shoot, scan, shoot.
Large ships with big shields are nothing but a time-sink.

Therefore, I propose a new weapon that combines a KWS with a beam laser, which instantly both detects the bounty and destroys the target.

Players who wish to continue to do combat 'old-school' can choose not to fit the weapon, and they won't lose anything, but those of us without time to waste don't have to grind through unnecessary shields and hulls so that we can get to combat rank and materials.

I love ED, but I find combat to be boring. It's just a constant cycle of scan, shoot, scan, shoot.

Therefore, I propose a new weapon that combines a KWS with a beam laser, which instantly both detects the bounty and destroys the target.

Players who wish to continue to do combat 'old-school' can choose not to fit the weapon, and they won't lose anything, but those of us without time to waste don't have to grind through unnecessary shields and hulls so that we can get to combat rank and materials.

Great post. Everything can be seen as a time sink if your don't like the activity.

But this then starts interfering with missions rewards based on distance from the primary...the more you think about it, the more implementation looks problematic.

So I will regurgitate a point I made on page 1. Removing supercruise distance will have the side effect of removing that as a variable from the calculation of mission rewards. Are we ok with that as consequence?

I guess those distance dependency mission rewards have been disabled, due to the problems with the bulk passender missiones. Perhaps it is better to leave it disabled and only use the LY-distance for calculating the rewards? :rolleyes:

Great post. Everything can be seen as a time sink if your don't like the activity.

Indeed.

Though, when said activity can be performed AFK, it's probably a time sink. As a rule of thumbs.
Long SC travel can be done AFK.

I think most don't mind slow gameplay so long as it's immersive, provides a good challenge and
mastery provides benefits. Long SC travels stop at the first item. While immersive, they are the
definition of a non-challenge, and since there is nothing to master, there can be no benefit from
mastering it.

Stealthie

Banned

See, that's the thing, innit?

This is why the whole "if you don't want it you don't have to use it but don't stop other people using it" thing is such a load of tripe.

As a simple litmus test for any idea, simply as yourself "Why wouldn't I want to use this?"
If you can't come up with a good reason, proportional to the usefulness of the thing being proposed, chances are your proposal is a lousy idea.

In the case of something that could jump you across an entire system, thus granting you the ability to avoid pirates, PvP, mission-related interdictions and turn Cr50m/hr missions into Cr500m/hr missions, it'd need to be a doozey of a drawback to balance the benefits it'd provide.

How about, say, if there was, say, a 25% chance that using super-super-cruise would cause your ship to be destroyed?

Last edited:
Indeed.

Though, when said activity can be performed AFK, it's probably a time sink. As a rule of thumbs.

I think most don't mind slow gameplay so long as it's immersive, provides a good challenge and
mastery provides benefits. Long SC travels stop at the first item. While immersive, they are the
definition of a non-challenge, and since there is nothing to master, there can be no benefit from
mastering it.

Its only a time sink if you are forced into doing said long distance travel. As you are not, then the time sink doesn't exist. You do it by choice.

[haha] Sorry dude, wrong Topic! That is pure polemic, it is like comparing for example a snail and turtle.

But in General, why not?[big grin]

Indeed.

mastering it.

So lets suggest ways to make SC more of a challenge, rather than just removing it entirely :D

I do have to say that whilst long distance A->B SC routes aren't challenging, it does get more interesting when you're exploring multiple bodies around a star. Optimizing the route by staying out of deep gravity wells, following curving flight plans and judging when to pick a more distant body to fly to instead of the closest one all require a level of skill and knowledge, so SC is not entirely 'point and go'.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3

That reminds me on the Long range passenger missions to smeaton orbital! I set the direction and went then to my wife on the Couch to watch TV and 40 minutes later i got back to the PC for landing the ship! [big grin]

What should i have done in the game without going to watch TV? :S I don't know, there is no valuable answer.

I guess those distance dependency mission rewards have been disabled, due to the problems with the bulk passender missiones. Perhaps it is better to leave it disabled and only use the LY-distance for calculating the rewards? :rolleyes:

I'm glad you said you guess, because it isn't true.

Agree with it or not, travel times/distances is just another dynamic tool used for balancing difficulty. Of course they could give us quicker travel, but at what cost to the broader balance of the game's design? I am not saying super cruise for 30 minutes is difficult, but I am saying it is part of the larger design to introduce challenge to tasks. I have read players complain about every kind of tedium of travel you can think of in MMOs for 15 years and it always came down to the camp who wished everything was just right there without the intermediate effort of getting to a task, and the camp of accepting scale, distance, time, and effort as part of the point.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Personally, and maybe it's only me, but; I've found that on the occasions where as the distance from the star to the destination is significanlly longer than normal, the reward is generally siginficantly higher also. Thus it boils down to greed. I can make more by doing those longer missions or just as much making shorter missions. I choose the shorter ones.

So lets suggest ways to make SC more of a challenge, rather than just removing it entirely :D

I do have to say that whilst long distance A->B SC routes aren't challenging, it does get more interesting when you're exploring multiple bodies around a star. Optimizing the route by staying out of deep gravity wells, following curving flight plans and judging when to pick a more distant body to fly to instead of the closest one all require a level of skill and knowledge, so SC is not entirely 'point and go'.

You are right. Making it challenging and rewarding skill with lower travel time would be cool.

My dream would be something like going faster if you follow geodesics and the ability to slingshot/brake using massive bodies like stars and gas giants.

A way to boost where you go faster but turn worse could also be interesting.

It would not hurt if the top speed was 10K c too.

Okay : let's say that a boost is added. It's effect is to boost you forward by 10s (10x SC speed boost). If you use this near a star or gas giant, you get either a strong braking effect or a strong boost effect depending if you go along or counter the rotation of the object.

If your SC speed is above the SC normal local speed, your ability is reduced by that much. E.g 10x faster than local limit => 10x less agile.

Would that be fun/interesting ?

If there where dark matter object far out or asteroids or "stuff with mass" that could be used along long distances travels to slingshot you it would make for a more interesting gameplay. That is more interesting than afk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom