In system jumps.

Could make it so you have to interface with the nav beacon to initiate the jump (this giving nav beacons more reason to exist), and further make it so the micro-jump only gets you within 1-2 thousand ls of the selected destination. This ensures there's still a chance of interdiction. In fact, pirates could just sit between the beacon and the station, right behind the exit point of the micro jump. Makes using the micro jump save time, but potentially leave you vulnerable since your position would be easy to predict.

[up] That sounds like valuable addition to my idea, so it looks like:

- Microjumps can only happen to insystem stars with a Nav-Beacon, so this excludes unexplored/uninhabitat systems. (leaves the sense of scale for the Explorers)

- As it doesn't make sense to give a nearby star ( few ls) a Nav-Beacon, there can be a minimum range of about 20000 ls.

- Interaction with the Nav-Beacon at the main star is needed (more Integration of the Nav-Beacons to gameplay / greater Chance for pirates to find a victim)

- Microjump only gets the ship withhin a range of 1-2 thousand lightseconds to the targeted insystem star (gives pirates still the chance for interdiction games)

- No special equippment would be needed, as we already have a jumpdrive.

To those worried about scale: we don't stop using planes, because using horses would give a better sense of scale of our planet.

Horses can't fly. I just put that there to show what a silly analogy it is.

In fact some people do still use horses, and there are some places you actually have to use animal transport to get to.

People keep saying, "if you don't like it don't use it". I would point out this is the exact same argument used for the converse, "if it's to far don't go there"! They are functionally identical, and if they are functionally identical why put a lot of work in to achieve something that is already present. If you don't like a particular thing then don't do that particular thing.

Yeah i wouldn’t mind in-system jumps if there were more than one large (enough) stars.

Why not? Setting my space-plane towards a distant body and doing nothing, literally, while it ‘gets’ there takes no skill and is not fun. Doing so is not some great achievement. It’s just a countdown.

Yeah i wouldn’t mind in-system jumps if there were more than one large (enough) stars.

Why not? Setting my space-plane towards a distant body and doing nothing, literally, while it ‘gets’ there takes no skill and is not fun. Doing so is not some great achievement. It’s just a countdown.

Then don't do it.

Welcome to the forums OP :) I hope they do not add in system jumps, I like the difficulty level now in getting around . Most systems are easy to map out but those hard ones make you feel good when they are done. Enjoy exploring :)

There is nothing "difficult" or "hard" about it, it's just t e d i o u s. 99.9% of Elite players WILL be doing things other than actually "playing" the game when SCing to a distant star. There is zero gameplay in SCruise other then the very start and the very end. Just point at a white dot and press a key.

As much as you dont like it, some of us will repeatedly point out how annoying, skill less and not engaging traveling in ED is for us. Suggestion for suggestion - use ignore list.

Then don't do it. Stick with the close stars and planets, plenty of them around, why so determined to destroy an aspect of game play that some people enjoy?

As much as you dont like it, some of us will repeatedly point out how annoying, skill less and not engaging traveling in ED is for us. Suggestion for suggestion - use ignore list.

It can be for long distances, but short distance you can use skill to avoid gravity wells to get to your destination quicker. I also scan as many ships as possible when in supercruise, so its not like there is nothing to do in the shorted journeys. But some people seem to think the best ways is the most boring way i.e put throttle to 75% point at station and do nothing else.

Could there be more stuff to do in supercruise, sure, but it needs to make some kind of sense. I don't want to see unavoidable gimmicks put into supercruise just to make it more "skill" based as I bet these gimmicks would just get annoying after a while.

FDev would need to be very careful how they should implement stuff in the game like this. I mean people already complain about interdictions which is to a degree skill based (they are too easy to avoid at the moment though, I would much prefer if they were much tougher).

Lestat

Banned
Could make it so you have to interface with the nav beacon to initiate the jump (this giving nav beacons more reason to exist), and further make it so the micro-jump only gets you within 1-2 thousand ls of the selected destination. This ensures there's still a chance of interdiction. In fact, pirates could just sit between the beacon and the station, right behind the exit point of the micro-jump. Makes using the micro jump save time, but potentially leave you vulnerable since your position would be easy to predict.
Thing is you don't want to make one thing too easy while hurting something else. Which your idea suggests dose that and that would hurt Player traders because they want to use the same feature and it only benifit pirates and bounty hunters because it forces Traders into unwanted conflict. They should have a chance. Right now distance is the traders best friend while in the Open. Traders can offset their course so they are not on the Elite Dangerous main superhighway. (Most direct route at a system) Your Nav beacon jump. Ruins that. Pirate and bounty hunter win while Traders loses. Traders still have to stick to long trade routes to avoid combat. Because mini jumping to Point A to B hurt their game play.

Your idea of sends them into nav beacon. Make traders lose that skill trying to avoid combat.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Could there be more stuff to do in supercruise, sure, but it needs to make some kind of sense. I don't want to see unavoidable gimmicks put into supercruise just to make it more "skill" based as I bet these gimmicks would just get annoying after a while.

I agree Max actually - the best way to "fix" my issue with long SC is to add more things happening during it (apart from interdictions), even doing things on board my ship with space legs. Sorry if I sounded frustrated, having a bad time with game lately.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Thing is you don't want to make one thing too easy while hurting something else. Which your idea suggests dose and that what would hurt Player traders because they want to use the same feature and it only benifit pirates and bounty hunters because it forces Traders into unwanted conflict. They should have a chance. Right now distance is the traders best friend while in the Open. Traders can offset their course so they are not on the Elite Dangerous main superhighway. (Most direct route at a system) Your Nav beacon jump. Ruins that. Pirate and bounty hunter win while Traders loses. Traders still have to stick to long trade routes to avoid combat. Because mini jumping to Point A to B hurt their game play.

Your idea of sends them into nav beacon. Make traders lose that skill trying to avoid combat.
The micro jump would be optional. The trader would still have the option to just supercruise like they currently do. High risk high speed, or lower risk lower speed. Don't see how that hurts them.

To the people that keep defending long supercruise trips by saying, "you can just choose to not go to distant locations", well guess what: you could just choose to not use the micro jump. To those that say it would make the game "too easy", well, that implies that the current long supercruise journeys are difficult. They aren't. They're just long. If they were difficult and required active skillful input from the player then it wouldn't be a problem. They don't, though; the only thing the challenge is the player's patience, and their ability to call half of elite's play time "gameplay".

One word - it should be optional just like hated around here docking autopilot.

Thats the thing. It wouldn't be optional though. People will just use it regardless. The reason why I don't use a docking computer is because I find manual docking much quicker. And the reason for that is because by the time I could afford one I had done so many landings that I didn't see the need.

Saying that I may get one if I ever get one of the bigger ships.

But having insta jumps to places would make it the default way to travel. No one would use the long method if the short method is available. It's human nature. I would end up using it. Humans can't help themselves but use the easiest method. It's one reason why I don't want super easy ways to do stuff in the game. Like instant ship transfer, cheap mat broker transfers and Micro jumps.

People call these thing pointless time gate, but I see the opposite. I see gameplay potential, choices, planning. All of that is what helps bring any kind of depth to the game. You start to remove that, and any depth the game has gets more and more eroded over time.

How far do we go with the timesink argument. Maybe we should just teleport from station to station as any space travel is just a useless time sink.

To the people that keep defending long supercruise trips by saying, "you can just choose to not go to distant locations", well guess what: you could just choose to not use the micro jump.

This is true. So ultimately the arguments just cancel each other out yes. So why should we expect FDev to create a mechanic for no reason.

If microjumps were already in the game and someone was asking to get them removed, would it be worth the dev time to get them removed.

The same as is it worth the dev time to get them implemented if both arguments are valid.

Thats the thing. It wouldn't be optional though. People will just use it regardless. The reason why I don't use a docking computer is because I find manual docking much quicker. And the reason for that is because by the time I could afford one I had done so many landings that I didn't see the need.

Saying that I may get one if I ever get one of the bigger ships.

But having insta jumps to places would make it the default way to travel. No one would use the long method if the short method is available. It's human nature. I would end up using it. Humans can't help themselves but use the easiest method. It's one reason why I don't want super easy ways to do stuff in the game. Like instant ship transfer, cheap mat broker transfers and Micro jumps.

People call these thing pointless time gate, but I see the opposite. I see gameplay potential, choices, planning. All of that is what helps bring any kind of depth to the game. You start to remove that, and any depth the game has gets more and more eroded over time.

How far do we go with the timesink argument. Maybe we should just teleport from station to station as any space travel is just a useless time sink.
Supercruise has loads of gameplay POTENTIAL, but FDev has yet to realize any of it. Considering we're several years in now, I have doubts if they'll even try to. Since gameplay potential doesn't equal gameplay, something that cuts some of the absurd amount of Netflix time in this game would be welcome. I'm not asking for supercruise to be eliminated, anyway- just something to trim down the longer end of the scale.

This is true. So ultimately the arguments just cancel each other out yes. So why should we expect FDev to create a mechanic for no reason.

If microjumps were already in the game and someone was asking to get them removed, would it be worth the dev time to get them removed.

The same as is it worth the dev time to get them implemented if both arguments are valid.
People that are currently avoiding long trips are also consequently having their number of valid destinations trimmed down. Someone choosing not to use the microjump would be losing access to nothing. I wouldn't call that "canceling out".

Supercruise has loads of gameplay POTENTIAL, but FDev has yet to realize any of it. Considering we're several years in now, I have doubts if they'll even try to. Since gameplay potential doesn't equal gameplay, something that cuts some of the absurd amount of Netflix time in this game would be welcome. I'm not asking for supercruise to be eliminated, anyway- just something to trim down the longer end of the scale.

I never have time to watch netflix when I play as I choose not to go on 45 minute supercruise journeys.

There needs to be SOME scale in the game!

Sure, that is why we can jump 70 ly in 20 seconds, but need 40 minutes for 500k ls :)

I believe world would not end if we could jump to other stars with some limitations (e.g. only start-like masses, and at least 50k ls distance). Would also fit in-game logic, or why can't I jump to the second star which is 1ly away if it is a second start in the same system, but to another star 1ly away in a different system?

Alternatively just increase the supercruise acceleration and limit of 2000c .. or fill the 30 minute travels (or even longer) with at least SOME other content.

Scale is really the worst argument for this bad game play, you can deliver scale without forcing you to do nothing for 30 minutes..

Possibly, but lets see what the Q4 update brings. I am hopefull it will make supercruise a bit more interesting especially for explorers.

People that are currently avoiding long trips are also consequently having their number of valid destinations trimmed down. Someone choosing not to use the microjump would be losing access to nothing. I wouldn't call that "canceling out".
There are very few stations that are that far away so that's a bit of a stretch to say that.

I'm not asking for supercruise to be eliminated, anyway- just something to trim down the longer end of the scale.

i think simply raising the speed cap would be a good start. sounds simple, although there might be some technical limitations (too high speeds could be problematic for smooth rendering and position tracking).

and possibly cool: specialized (or tuned) drives for long distance, with lower acceleration but increased top speed.

I never have time to watch netflix when I play as I choose not to go on 45 minute supercruise journeys.

I tend to avoid those destinations too, because supercruising for that long is boring. Nothing happens. It's bad game design. Not even interdictions happen, as due to the mechanics of supercruise, those will pretty much always happen at the start of the trip, or when you start slowing down as you approach your destination. It's bad gameplay. People tend to avoid it because it sucks. Why defend something that sucks? The people that DO like those long trips could still partake in them whenever they want.

Top Bottom