Infinity Battlescape

So finally was able to start a game, mouse and keyboard only as I still can't bind hotas controls,but I can already get some first impressions of gameplay... First thing I did as soon as I left the dock where I spawned was to immediately dive to a planet just below. It was a volcanic wasteland called "Cinder".

The things I liked so far:

Loved the fact that flying from space to planet was completely seamless, true seamless, not the loading pause "seamless" from ED. Diving from space directly to a planet with atmosphere felt awesome, arrived at some huge base which was under attack, flew through some narrow valleys with lava rivers at the bottom and over rugged mountains.

Second thing I loved was how the speed caps were relative to altitude, and how high they were. If you're very close to ground, the speed caps are similar to ED's, but as soon as you start to get higher speed caps increase by huge levels. At 1 km high you can already go 2500m/s, and at 10km high the speed cap goes to almost 5000 m/s. This makes flying large distances over planet surfaces so much more enjoyable. I wish ED had this system, not just seamless transitions from space to planets, but also these higher speed caps that increased with your altitude that allowed you to fly over planets without having to go back to orbit and then descend again on the new destination (or fly 10 hours at 400m/s).

Third thing I loved, was planetary geometry. Lots deep and narrow cracks, valleys, very rugged mountains, frequent ground height variations, overall topography in general felt very satisfying. Liked it much more than the soft rolling hills of ED's planets separated by thousand mile plains with an occasional mountain range or ultra wide valley that we ended up since the big topography nerf that accompanied "The Beigening".

Another positive thing, is that combat has "purpose". There is a war between 2 factions, you can choose which, and there are battles for controlling specific assets and infrastructure across the entire star system. That infrastructure is important, controlling it is how each faction generates "points" that are divided across members and allow them to spawn with more expensive ships. No random dogfighting in the void, no "football match" type battles, you fight for control of things, said things are valuable and destroyable, battles are actually won or lost and that is reflected visually in the game.

The things I didn't like so far:

Planetary textures seemed very low quality. I know this is early access, but for now textures overall seem quite poor (at least on planet Cinder). ED's planet textures are miles ahead, although IB is miles ahead on topography. Even though IB's planetary topography is much more enjoyable, ED's textures are at the moment so superior that, as a whole, ED's planets still look better despite IB's planets being much, much more varied than ED's bland dustballs.

The flight model. I personally didn't liked it as much as ED. Even though being newtonian might make it feel more realistic, but it feels too much "follow the mouse cursor" for my taste, doesn't feel like a "sim". Perhaps when I can actually use my hotas it might improve a bit. The ships do feel like they have a bit of weight (unlike Star Citizen for instance where all vehicles feel like you're flying a debug camera), but not much, I honestly didn't enjoy the flight model much. Feels closer to something like Everspace or some other arcade space shooter than a space sim. ED's flight model may not be realistic, but in ED's ships, even the small ones, I still feel like I'm operating a large, powerful vehicle, in IB I don't get the same sensation. Still, IB's flight model is still better than most others, I would place it beneath ED and Evochron, but over all the rest.

It's a pure multiplayer combat game. It never said it would be anything other than a pure combat game, so it's like I was expecting any different, in fact I have the feeling it will quickly become (with due merit) the "de facto" top dog of space combat. But flying over awesome atmospheric planets on a 1:1 scale, with seamless travel without ridiculously low speed caps, left me a certain "I wish I could also other things as well" taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
Textures and surface details are indeed not done yet. From what i understand they barely finished the ships textures and even that is not final.

I got it to work with my hotas. T.160000. I can't get it to remap correctly, but under controls I selected the T.160000 profile, then put the stick as device 0 and the throttle as device 1. As long as I leave the default mapping I can fly by stick and have a little fun. It's quite a bit earlier days than I realized, but I've been watching it a long time, and when it dropped on steam I snapped it up.

Edit:. Read a little bit, found out you have to switch to "direct input" once you start the game by pressing F4 a couple times... My binding remap works, and it's a very satisfying flight model. So far, money well spent.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Edit:. Read a little bit, found out you have to switch to "direct input" once you start the game by pressing F4 a couple times... My binding remap works, and it's a very satisfying flight model. So far, money well spent.

Huh, you mean hitting F4 when the game main menu appears? I have not been able to rebind any keys (when I try to edit a key nothing happens), nevermind use my joystick, so any clues how to do it appreciated!

I haven't had any major problems rebinding for HOTAS (X52 Pro), it didn't recognise some of the buttons but there were enough to make it viable. I didn't see any way of reversing the axis though and I don't like pushing pitch up to pitch up so just went back to K&M until it gets a bit of polish.

Also, I'm not playing through steam if that makes any difference

The flying looks pretty janky in the trailer. Can anyone confirm how it stacks up? After experiencing the joys of pure FA Off flying in ED there's just no going back.

Hi Jasonbarron,

I actually think the flight model is a bit better than ED's FA-off mode. It's more truly newtonion than ED, no magic blue zone zone, you have ability to 'turbo' in any thrust vector and they have a very simple (yet effective) vector indicator.

I'll post a link of me smashing my ship around the inside of a station once it uploads...

EDIT: Here you go @jasonbarron
Source: https://youtu.be/vIlNggUGPWU

Last edited:
I think I will hold on for the solo sandbox experience, duno why I was under the impression that this will be much more open/massive game. Still on my wish list tho, congrats on Steam release.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Jasonbarron,

I actually think the flight model is a bit better than ED's FA-off mode. It's more truly newtonion than ED, no magic blue zone zone, you have ability to 'turbo' in any thrust vector and they have a very simple (yet effective) vector indicator.

I'll post a link of me smashing my ship around the inside of a station once it uploads...

EDIT: Here you go @jasonbarron
Source: https://youtu.be/vIlNggUGPWU

Yes, there is only one flight mode but it is also assisted in several ways:
  • The ship will decelerate/break your speed automatically to zero gradually in any vector/direction you are not actively thrusting into, so you do not really need to worry too much about applying oposite force constantly to stop drift.
  • Turning inputs, i.e.pitch/yaw/roll are also assisted. I.e. the ship automatically compensates your input when you stop applying turn so you do not need to apply an opposite input to arrest the rotation like in ED assist off.
Elite assist off on the other hand does not assist you at all there, so I think it is actually still more "newtonian" than Battlescape. Battlescape takes a compromise there to make it a bit easier for pilots since there is only one flight mode.

Last edited:
I think that they will, at some stage, have to add in trading, mining etc. Not sure if this was what they said earlier on, but pew, pew gets old quickly. There has to be a reason to do it, not just take over a station, there has to be a reason why you want that station.

I'm not really a pew, pew player, I don't mind it if there is something behind it, but pew, pew, for pew, pew sake, isn't going to give the game legs..

But backing it was for that reason, I did it with the hope that at some stage, this really impressive seamless space, that they have most definitely succeeded in making, gets some meat on it's bones.

Planet wise, it shows us that ED's planets are much smaller than made out to be (although I knew that already). Planets in Battlescape are very impressive. But adding atmosphere to some of ED's planets could change the scale issue, possibly. So we'll see in a few years ahead, for ED... ;)

Huh, you mean hitting F4 when the game main menu appears? I have not been able to rebind any keys (when I try to edit a key nothing happens), nevermind use my joystick, so any clues how to do it appreciated!
Once the match starts, there's different control modes (?) Such as capital ship, Target, and Direct. Toggling through these modes until it says "Direct Mode" was the extremely confusing key. I don't know if there's another place to set these values so you don't need to switch modes, I know pitch and yaw are under the "Direct Flight Mode" heading in keybindings, but other than mouse curser I don't know where else you could set them.

Also, inverting an axis is done by an unlabeled checkbox next to the setting in keybindings. If you checked that and it didn't work, try switching modes to direct like I described above.

I hope they put some time and explaination into the controls soon.

Yes, there is only one flight mode but it is also assisted in several ways:
  • The ship will decelerate/break your speed automatically to zero gradually in any vector/direction you are not actively thrusting into, so you do not really need to worry too much about applying oposite force constantly to stop drift.
  • Turning inputs, i.e.pitch/yaw/roll are also assisted. I.e. the ship automatically compensates your input when you stop applying turn so you do not need to apply an opposite input to arrest the rotation like in ED assist off.
Elite assist off on the other hand does not assist you at all there, so I think it is actually still more "newtonian" than Battlescape. Battlescape takes a compromise there to make it a bit easier for pilots since there is only one flight mode.

There are multiple flight modes in Infinity.

If you turn off flight assist and rotational assist you get a true 6dof Newtonian flight model. You can even turn off the "speed cap". You don't down down or anything. There is also no magic blue zone that affects your rotational speeds in Infinity
Which is certainly not true in ED. You are never truly 'assist off' in ED

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Cool, I hadn’t realized yet you could turn all flight assists off. Will try it. Any idea how popular all assists off is? Strict “Newtonian” models including no speed caps sometines don’t tend to make for great dogfight gameplay.

Last edited:
Cool, I hadn’t realized yet you could turn all flight assists off. Will try it. Any idea how popular all assists off is? Strict “Newtonian” models including no speed caps sometines don’t tend to make for great dogfight gameplay.

That speed problem is "solved" by the fact that all battles are around infrastructure assets, where the speeds are capped by proximity to the ground (speed cap scales with height) or proximity to space installations. There is no point in being "in between" such places, so the fact nobody can catch you during high speed travel doesn't matter. To make your faction "progress" you need to be either attacking of defending some particular piece of infrastructure, and on those situations the speed caps are being enforced.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Ah ok, so the Newtonian model (speeds in this case) is actually artificially capped then in those places to facilitate dogfight gameplay. Makes sense.

Last edited:
Ah ok, so the Newtonian model (speeds in this case) is actually artificially capped then in those places to facilitate dogfight gameplay. Makes sense.
It's not capped at all.

They simply have the fights around assets that you need to be around so you yourself will cap your speed to allow yourself to take part :)

It's not capped at all.

They simply have the fights around assets that you need to be around so you yourself will cap your speed to allow yourself to take part :)
When people think of ridiculous speed and almost unplayable newtonian they probably think of Frontier-like combat when some rando AI spawned god knows where on you. That's not a problem of newtonian mechanics - that's a problem of spawn scripting. I might add the scripting in ED isn't top notch neither.

Look at I-War (1&2) - it did newtonian just right. And it didn't spawn enemies in the transit phase neither - it'd be just silly. So yeah, converge at PoIs and have combat there, instead of spawning in enemies at intergalactic speeds - that's just stupid.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It's not capped at all.

Lol this is getting a bit confusing. Not sure how to reconcile that with this?:

all battles are around infrastructure assets, where the speeds are capped by proximity to the ground (speed cap scales with height) or proximity to space installations.

Are speeds capped or not around stations and bases?

Will test tonight a bit and see.

Last edited:
100% sure that at least in planets when close to the ground speeds are heavily capped. The lower you are, the lower is the cap. You can even see a sliding yellow marker in the speed bar, indicating the cap. Under 1km altitude the cap is around 350m/s.

Top Bottom