Information regarding AMD RX 6000 series driver updates.

This isn't a "key known issue"? Disappointing, to say the least.

it's there, i'd say, Commanders were experiencing a high frequency of crashes and stability issues around planetary surface settlements and POIs. The issue behind these stability problems have now been addressed.

Going to update my drivers later today and try it

it's there, i'd say, Commanders were experiencing a high frequency of crashes and stability issues around planetary surface settlements and POIs. The issue behind these stability problems have now been addressed.

Going to update my drivers later today and try it
It wasn't fixed. I already tried it.

Because NVIDIA would have fixed their broken drivers already?

This isn't a problem with the game - it worked with the older drivers, it works with drivers from other manufacturers, it works with wrappers for completely different graphics APIs - it's a bug specifically in AMD's drivers, exposed by a game that relies much more heavily on compute shaders than most.
Yes, because this game is sacred and has no errors! lol

After reading the patch notes... I won't be coming back anytime soon as it seems.

Found a possible fix, using DXVK on Windows (being DXVK the default when on Linux),
Try this:
1) go to https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases and download the latest tar.gz
2) Unzip the dll's to your game folder, be sure to unzip them to the 64 bit instances , of either horizon or odyssey (i'm on odyssey so yeah...unzipped there)
2a) for odyssey, should be Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-odyssey-64
2b) for Horizons (haven't tried it), should be, Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64

You should now have d3d9...d3d...dlls inside one of this folders like in the screenshot below

3) Start the game

Was able to land, can be some slowdowns here and there but seems stable to me, using 22.7.1

Basically it's translating DX API Calls to Vulkan, just like when emulating games under linux

By working for me, does not mean it'll work for you, but it's a step forward

Use 7-zip to unzip .tar.gz , not sure it'll work with winrar or others

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-09 172921.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-09 172921.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I am yet another player affected by the Amd driver issue(s). Please fix FDev, I bet you have a few thousand players affected.
Probably a reasonable number of players affected - if they insist on remaining using an optional rather than recommended driver. (Yes, I saw the issue and went back to the recommended one)
Assuming that Frontier 'fixed' the issue - then a day or 2 later AMD 'fix' the error they introduced (and breaking the 'fix' by Frontier), I'd be willing to bet that it would be Frontier getting flak, once more, to 'fix' the issue.

This is ridiculous! All drivers for AMD RX6000 series, including WHQL developmental drivers cause the Orange Sidewinder upon dropping to land on a planet. I spent thousands of dollars on a machine for Odyssey only to be ignored for months.

This is ridiculous! All drivers for AMD RX6000 series, including WHQL developmental drivers cause the Orange Sidewinder upon dropping to land on a planet. I spent thousands of dollars on a machine for Odyssey only to be ignored for months.
Even 22.5.1?
That appears to be the last one that worked with ED without this issue.

I have just brought the RX6700 none XT version and 22.5.1 driver will not install because the card didnt exist when the driver was written. However I have been able to replace a few files in the ED directory and got the game to play.

Found a possible fix, using DXVK on Windows (being DXVK the default when on Linux),
Try this:
1) go to https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases and download the latest tar.gz
2) Unzip the dll's to your game folder, be sure to unzip them to the 64 bit instances , of either horizon or odyssey (i'm on odyssey so yeah...unzipped there)
2b) for Horizons (haven't tried it), should be, Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64

You should now have d3d9...d3d...dlls inside one of this folders like in the screenshot below

3) Start the game

Was able to land, can be some slowdowns here and there but seems stable to me, using 22.7.1

Basically it's translating DX API Calls to Vulkan, just like when emulating games under linux

Worked for me.

I spent close to five thousand on a new PC last year, ED was my primary motivation. They verified a few months ago that my issue (broken lines in supercruise) wasn't going to be fixed any time soon. My solution was simple: I don't play ED anymore. I'm only here now because I still hope they'll get around to fixing my issue. Unfortunately, it looks like it's only getting worse.

The sad part is, I only went all AMD because I wanted to simplify my switch from Windows to Linux. As expected, the transition was fairly painless. I now only have one PC that runs Windows part time. An Nvidia card would bring me back to ED, but it would create so many more headaches. Not worth it for one game IMO.

Did you try running ED in WINE? It does run rather well on Linux and might solve your problem due to different drivers.

It's only the windows direct3d drivers that are broken. Linux+WINE using DXVK (or even native windows using DXVK) has no issues.
ED ran just as well on Linux as it did on Windows for me. The last straw (more or less) was this issue: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/46983. I tried to resolve the issue myself using every idea I could find, including testing on Linux. After a year of off and on testing, I tried another support ticket. I was informed that FDEV has repeated the issue, but it's going to take too much work to fix at this time. They didn't tell me what was causing the issue, so I still have no idea if it's an issue with ED or the driver.

The issue that this thread is about may be related. If it is, and they fix it, I might be able to return to ED.

Try this:

3) Start the game

Worked for me thanks (RX 6800) driver ver 22.6.1

The last straw (more or less) was this issue: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/46983.

The issue that this thread is about may be related. If it is, and they fix it, I might be able to return to ED.
That is a ridiculous reason for boycotting this beautiful space game. I suggest you should disable the orbit lines. You can do that in the right hand HUD, on an UI page named ”Pilot’s preferences”. I disabled them already a long time ago, because I don’t need them for anything and I think space looks better without them. I am currently using a Radeon RX 6800XT, and until April this year I used a RX Vega 64 card.

Top Bottom