Information regarding AMD RX 6000 series driver updates.

"Elite Dangerous may crash upon launch on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs."
It was time.

But..."crash upon launch"...What? :oops::rolleyes:

Just got email from AMD announcing their 22.10.2 driver. It lists Elite Dangerous as known issue, and a fix is scheduled for the next 22.10.3 driver.
It's looking like I might be reinstalling ED for a test soon. That will be an interesting challenge, but worth it if the AA issue somehow gets fixed as well. I just hope nothing else gets messed up in the process. Reverting my AMD graphics drivers was a bit of a pain the last time.

AMD Driver Post

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-22 093641.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-22 093641.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 111
Excellent to see a timeframe for fixing it. I might actually have a schedule for copying my console account to my 6000-series PC now.

The 6000x drivers recently have been disasterous, I was getting system stutter or crashes in a range of games, including Elite; most of them were fixed with the last driver, but although I'm not crashing at launch with them in ED, I am getting an Orange Sidewinder any time I try and drop into a combat zone, either solo or with friends. I've not tried other planetary landings, but here's hoping for that fix soon.

Is ANYONE running AMD drivers post 22.5.1 on a 6000 series in this game?
I mean. I'm hopeful for 22.10.3. But I'd expect even 22.10.2 should have yielded improvements.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I'm running 22.10.2 on my 7900X / RX 6800 - using the tweak to appconfig.xml, i.e.
Code:
<TerrainSettings PermitFmaOptimizations="false" PermitNativeDoubles="false" PreferNativeDoubles="false" />

I'd go on to the AMD Reddit and bullet-point your issues. Usually someone from AMD will respond there.
Here is link to their latest driver thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y9uz2g Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y9uz2g/amd_releases_22102_optional_with_a_lot_of_fixes/
Thanks for the link, I'll look into that later. I doubt I'll see anything done, as most of my issues revolved around a little too much OCD on my part. I won't know for sure until I try though.

I just went through so much to migrate my CMDR over to PC from PS4, got the Steam key and purchased Odyssey....cannot start game due to this same issue and am running 6800XT. Great to see so much info on it at least and what it is. Pretty gutting but fingers crossed for 22.10.3.

Ah thanks for linking that, interesting read on the workarounds. Bit too scared to tamper with the files myself like that and am launching from steam and it says there's issues doing that on work around 2. Are you using either?
I'm using #2 with no problems at all. RX6750. Runs great with Steam, Fd and Epic alts.

Ah thanks for linking that, interesting read on the workarounds. Bit too scared to tamper with the files myself like that and am launching from steam and it says there's issues doing that on work around 2. Are you using either?
No, since I have Nvidia, but I ran ED on Linux for many years using DXVK. IIRC it's 3 files to copy into the game directory which you can remove afterwards. It really should be straightforward and easier than it sounds.

Highlights​

• Support for:
    • Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II
    • Radeon™ Boost using Variable Rate Shading in Dying Light 2™

Fixed Issues​

• Elite Dangerous may crash upon launch on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • Black screen may occur during driver upgrade or settings reset using Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2 on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
  • Lower than expected performance on Gotham Knights™ using AMD Processors on some AMD Graphics Products such as Radeon™ RX 6950 XT.

The real reason for the optional release.. ED just bonus

22.10.3 drivers made things worse for me. Still have to use a workaround.

Edit: Reverted some files and the crashes are now gone with DP enabled, but the teal overlay remains.

Last edited:
Top Bottom