Introducing the Cockpit Paint Mod (CPM)

depends on perspective

This is nice and all, but I still want to see zero bright any color(preferably dark, black, blue, no yellow, no white, no silver, no gold, no shiny anything, just make it go away) in a cutter and clipper with this setup, if it can do that, great.

I cannot stress how poor the interior design of these 2 ships is.
to not be able to read right or left panels most of the time and often even just the front view is too much.
to have a painful craving to insert objects into eyes when in a clipper is amazing with it's neutron star interior design and I get why its named clipper from that.
A most interesting type of handicap, one I prefer went away.
really want to get rid of this guide dog, leaving hair all over my cutters...
8 years of dust on several clippers, such a waste....guide dog won't even go in them.

Looks very cool, hopefully Frontier will be okay wit it.
I've been "painting" my own ship interiors for some time now, but I dared not release it to the public because it felt too much like something Frontier may someday charge money for as a cosmetic.

But they never did (just like they never offered HUD customizations), so I'm guessing they never will. Hopefully the OP vets this with Frontier before actually making it an official "anybody can do this" mod. The last thing I want is for Frontier to actively block 3Dmigoto, which is the "secret sauce" that makes visual modding like this possible. In other words, let's not wake the sleeping giant.

I've been "painting" my own ship interiors for some time now, but I dared not release it to the public because it felt too much like something Frontier may someday charge money for as a cosmetic.

But they never did (just like they never offered HUD customizations), so I'm guessing they never will. Hopefully the OP vets this with Frontier before actually making it an official "anybody can do this" mod. The last thing I want is for Frontier to actively block 3Dmigoto, which is the "secret sauce" that makes visual modding like this possible. In other words, let's not wake the sleeping giant.
The other mod built by OP EDHM is signed off by FDev and that uses 3Dmigoto so no sleeping giant to wake, FDev has been aware for some time.
Edit: I just noticed your user name! you are very aware of EDHM :)

The other mod built by OP EDHM is signed off by FDev and that uses 3Dmigoto so no sleeping giant to wake, FDev has been aware for some time.
Edit: I just noticed your user name! you are very aware of EDHM :)
The issue isn't what is being used but rather how. If Frontier has plans to sell interior paint jobs like they currently sell exterior paint jobs, then they might take exception to people painting their own ships for free. And Frontier could, I believe, make it so ED does not run with 3Dmigoto. I cannot run 3Dmigoto on MSFS, for example, which ironically is totally open to modding.

Of course I'm hopeful that if Frontier were to take issue with this, they would just say so in this thread and trust the community to shut it down ourselves without resorting to disabling 3Dmigoto. So far they've had no issue with EDHM or my own mod, and hopefully they remain amicable in this regard.

Yes, I see where you are coming from. Though as you point out, that never happened with HUD colors (Making it an ARX item), so I don't see that it should be a discouragement against CPM. I agree I would hate to see 3Dmigoto affected as well. Currently, no rules would be broken so let's not discourage new things from progressing that lots of people would enjoy/benefit from.

Several of us have tried to make it clear that we would be happy to pay for interior paint.

So, from the images of the courier, would it be correct to say color but not brightness can be dealt with in this way?

I already like the courier original interior, and that red is pretty, but brightness is the real issue
I really don't care about the color.
the courier is nice because there is almost no nova bright reflective areas, whereas, that's all the clipper is, and cutter.

Only thing that ever occurred to me to add a better look to the courier is fake wheels using lighting to display them.
and only because I consider my couriers, Space Bikes.

I thought it would save time to simply ask, which I have done.
Rather than dig into a part of graphics I have never bothered with, yet.
I was wrong.

Several of us have tried to make it clear that we would be happy to pay for interior paint.

So, from the images of the courier, would it be correct to say color but not brightness can be dealt with in this way?

I already like the courier original interior, and that red is pretty, but brightness is the real issue
the courier is nice because there is almost no nova bright reflective areas, whereas, that's all the clipper is, and cutter.

Only thing that ever occurred to me to add a better look to the courier is fake wheels using lighting to display them.

I was wrong.
It would need @GeorjCostanza to confirm more detail but I think through the EDHM UI, CPM would end up being able to adjust the paint areas each ship has with color and brightness values of your choice, so if you find a cockpit too bright you could take a slightly darker tone/shade of the color along with a lower brightness for that color and save your eyes! :)

Last edited:
The issue isn't what is being used but rather how. If Frontier has plans to sell interior paint jobs like they currently sell exterior paint jobs, then they might take exception to people painting their own ships for free. And Frontier could, I believe, make it so ED does not run with 3Dmigoto. I cannot run 3Dmigoto on MSFS, for example, which ironically is totally open to modding.

Of course I'm hopeful that if Frontier were to take issue with this, they would just say so in this thread and trust the community to shut it down ourselves without resorting to disabling 3Dmigoto. So far they've had no issue with EDHM or my own mod, and hopefully they remain amicable in this regard.

Yeah I'm doing my best behind the scenes to get an official 'go or no-go' from FDev. Will keep you updated!

I was wrong.

The brightness of the cockpit in the Imp ships is controlled by both the intensity of the cabin lighting and the colour of the textures. With EDHM you can already adjust the lighting to make it a lot darker, but the starlight will still reflect the bright white textures. With the CPM you'll be able to change the colour of the textures to make them 'less-white' (grey)

Here's a "darkside" Cutter

Darkside-Cutter.jpg

Is that sort of what you mean?

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback,

Does your mod somehow know what ship you are flying and adjust colors accordingly? What little experimentation I did with this was "universal" in that the changes effected all ships, but not in the same way. Since I only wanted to "paint" a couple of the older ships, I just made it so I could cycle through different schemes until the effect I wanted matched the ship I was in. That same scheme would look radically different in some other ships. To be able to paint all ships with various different colors (which of course is more than just colors, but also reflectivity, luminosity, etc) that look good in those specific ships must have been a heck of a lot of work, especially if you're able to tie specific palettes to specific ships, so tip of the hat to you!

Does your mod somehow know what ship you are flying and adjust colors accordingly? What little experimentation I did with this was "universal" in that the changes effected all ships, but not in the same way. Since I only wanted to "paint" a couple of the older ships, I just made it so I could cycle through different schemes until the effect I wanted matched the ship I was in. That same scheme would look radically different in some other ships. To be able to paint all ships with various different colors (which of course is more than just colors, but also reflectivity, luminosity, etc) that look good in those specific ships must have been a heck of a lot of work, especially if you're able to tie specific palettes to specific ships, so tip of the hat to you!

Thanks mate! Yeah in EDHM there's a 3rd Party Mods folder that's set to 'recursive', so 3Dmigoto will ready all the ini files in the subfolders. In the CPM subfolder there's an index file that allocates a number to each ship, and also contains all the usual shader and texture references (there's a lot of them :) ). Then there's an ini file for each ship that contains the specific colour settings for each cockpit section (8 to 11 sections).

As you mentioned the layout changes for each ship and makes it difficult to apply a single theme that looks nice across different cockpits, so that's why each ship has it's own config/ini file, which is basically just a big 'if' wrapper eg., if (ship == 24) then load all these particular colour values

However, the automatic ship/theme change needs EDHM UI running to read the shipyard journal file and change the 'current ship' number in the index file. I hope that makes sense!

Top Bottom