Invert Y axis when looking around ship?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
New to the game (xbox one) and loving it so far, but I can't seem to find a way to invert the Y axis when looking around the ship. Is this even a option in the preview, any of my invert brothers help me out here lol.

This needs to be done. It is imperative. Also there needs to be a button to switch fire-groups quickly. You can't expect us to go to the firegroup menu in the middle of a battle to pull up our chaff and shield booster. Finally the friends menu can't be on the "select button" (or whatever). I think maybe put the free head mode on the select button, make the right-joystick button the boost button, make B button the switch fire groups, and put the friends menu on a rotary menu. Otherwise I love this game (got a "dangerous" pilot on my pc), and besides for a few early hickups I think it could be GREAT on Xbox.

It really needs to have an invert option. Anyone who flies in real life or has been gaming for more than 30 years expects the LOOK axis to behave properly and naturally. The current setting would only appeal to those who have not used flight sims and shooters that basically established the norm for this setting, which is as the OP points out, currently backwards in ED.

When you push your head forward, you look DOWN, not UP! When you tilt you head back, just like tilting a joystick BACK, you look UP! Not down!

What kind of strange Rube Goldberg contraption would be required to cause the opposite effect in the real world? That is how ridiculous and unnatural I see the preference for the axis setting ED currently provides for LOOK, with NO option to change it. How dumb.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. When I lift my head up, I look up, etc. and I've been gaming for more than 30 years. When I push left, I look left, not right. Also, when I press forward to move, I don't go backwards. Seems completely natural to me. I agree on the flight stick side (forward - down, back - up), just not on the look aspect. I also agree that the option should be there.

My friend and I have had this debate while playing Tf2. When one of us died the other would play and we always had to change this setting. I said his way was backwards and he said mine was. So, we took the case to my sister and she agreed with me. Case closed, unless you want to argue with my sister. =)

Bottom line, it's a great game and we can all contribute to make it better.

Tw2Brick this is only true if you see the sticks as a move control of the camera, but not If you see it as a stearing of the character itself. If you stearing as in ego sight, moving the head back does show up and moving the head in forward, will look down. So in respect to the stick, to look up you must move your head back, means the stick must be moved back (down) and the other way move forward (up) to look down.

There are peoples who use the sticks like controlling a 3rd view camera and for them this is normal to use up to look up, as you are one of them. But there are others like me, who do not control a camera but the character itself and for this guys, its normal to move the stick back (down) to look down. It is something like right/left hand poeples situations.

Last edited:
Totally agree with this, as mentioned in the other thread.

As for whether it is "right" or "wrong" in general to invert Y... I don't think that matters. Some people invert, some don't. The issue is that in ED the flight controls are inverted by default (although I think the options don't class it as inverted, because it's "normal" for flying), while the headlook is *not* inverted. This inconsistency is the issue, and can be fixed by adding an option to enable inverters to have both types of control inverted (while non-inverters can not invert).

This needs to be done. It is imperative. Also there needs to be a button to switch fire-groups quickly. You can't expect us to go to the firegroup menu in the middle of a battle to pull up our chaff and shield booster. Finally the friends menu can't be on the "select button" (or whatever). I think maybe put the free head mode on the select button, make the right-joystick button the boost button, make B button the switch fire groups, and put the friends menu on a rotary menu. Otherwise I love this game (got a "dangerous" pilot on my pc), and besides for a few early hickups I think it could be GREAT on Xbox.

One of the control pad schemes has change fire group mapped to a face button ("A" I think), while the other has it mapped to the bumpers while you hold down a different face button ("X", I think). IIRC, it's default that uses the bumpers when a certain face button is held, and classic that directly uses a face button.

Totally agree here, I need this change. I suck at looking around my ship because I like my controls inverted. I am thankful at least the flight is able to do this or I seriously would not have been able to buy the game.

Agree to disagree. When I lift my head up, I look up, etc. and I've been gaming for more than 30 years. When I push left, I look left, not right. Also, when I press forward to move, I don't go backwards. Seems completely natural to me. I agree on the flight stick side (forward - down, back - up), just not on the look aspect. I also agree that the option should be there.

My friend and I have had this debate while playing Tf2. When one of us died the other would play and we always had to change this setting. I said his way was backwards and he said mine was. So, we took the case to my sister and she agreed with me. Case closed, unless you want to argue with my sister. =)

Bottom line, it's a great game and we can all contribute to make it better.

Sounds like a visual aid is desperately needed here!

I suggest sticking a pair of craft store EYES on the front of your joystick looking at your TV screen while you fly your ED ship. Now pay attention to which direction those eyes are looking when you push that stick FORWARD, or pull that stick BACK. There really is only ONE way this turns out. ;)

You can try to illogically argue about this particular axis, but you are never going to convince a licensed pilot that what you are saying makes even a molecule of sense. Every Joystick operated vehicle/aircraft/remote camera/machine on this planet has its "Y" axis set the opposite of how ED's LOOK UP/DOWN is currently setup.

Why? Because that is the NATURAL way of things. The way you prefer and how ED is currently setup is just WRONG. There is really no debating this fact. Far too many real world examples all using the Y axis setting you claim is wrong.

Last edited:
I agree that the option to invert should be there, however, insisting that the way it is currently done is wrong is incredibly pigheaded. It is sometimes matter of preference nothing more nothing less. And any attempt to use "real world" examples will be met with derision until the day I wake up and decide whether to take my Clipper or Python to work.

yep got the game on xbox and I am very pleased we finally have a good space sim on a console - does anyone remember colony wars on the play station. Well I digress - I just want to add my voice to the call for the option to invert the head movement control. cheers

I just happened to stumble here from a google search for the windows version since I could not find the setting easily:
the option for PC is now there under the
options
controls
headlook
headlook invert setting
and it's actually conveniently a different setting from the flight y-axis invert setting

perhaps this'd be of help to anybody else stumbling upon this thread looking for the same answer

Crikey.
New to the game (xbox one) and loving it so far, but I can't seem to find a way to invert the Y axis when looking around the ship. Is this even a option in the preview, any of my invert brothers help me out here lol.

No longer in preview - thread closed as necro.

For information, headlook can be inverted with a controller, not with a T-Flight Hotas (June 2019)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom