Investigation into the "Mysterious Stranger"

Could you also share the details how you achived this? In particular I'm interested in the system(s) where they have been received (so I can draw the "exclusion" sphere in my notes - outside of this sphere there must not be any remaining "unknown" Tip Off locations of the "settlement" type anymore).
I was doing something a little weird - grinding Fed rank while trying to stay harmless (so I can stay in the n00b zone). This means I did a lot of Megaship Disable Turrets and donations in Fed space around Sol - all at around Harmless level.

I think I have more: I neglected to keep a list of which ones I had added, and wasn't sure if the ones I have were dupes :oops: If you've added those ones I can check my other messages - I wasn't expecting so many ;)

1610915665754.png

I was doing something a little weird - grinding Fed rank while trying to stay harmless (so I can stay in the n00b zone). This means I did a lot of Megaship Disable Turrets and donations in Fed space around Sol - all at around Harmless level.

I think I have more: I neglected to keep a list of which ones I had added, and wasn't sure if the ones I have were dupes :oops: If you've added those ones I can check my other messages - I wasn't expecting so many ;)

Thank you for the information!
And yes, I'm aware about your investigation in the n00b zone=)
I was "out of network reach" those last days in December, but have added all the new locations to the list lately.
It's in fact the second report I have that disabling megaship turrets is currently the fastest way to obtain many tip off in a short period of time.
At that very moment I'm using the "old method" - evacutions - and I must admit that this is really tedious. I have recevied so far 36 TO's and only 2 were new - and at the same time evacuated about 40K unfortunates from the burning stations...

A small digest on the recent updates in the frame of Tip Off investigation project.

Part 1. Basis for the Tip Off locations final count predictions

While during the whole last year the overall number of the new locations added to the list was hardly more than a dozen, since the very end of the year and till present - due to the combined and not always intentional effort of commanders - there have been more than 30 new entries reported, for the period of slightly more than one month. So quite logical question - how many still unknown - i.e. never reported - locations remains there? Or how many Tip Off missions one must get in order to dig down to those so far "undocumented" layers? What is the most efficient way? I usually do respond to those questions with some "theoretical" numbers and "predictions" and the next logical question is from where those numbers come from? Where do I get them?

So the main theme for the present review will be one of my "favorite" tables connected to the Tip Off investigation. The first versions of this table have appeared not far from the very beginning (summer 2019), when the cyclic nature of the locations lifespan (2 weeks in a 12 weeks long cycle) has been established and the automatic calculations for location activity timetables have been implemented. However the visualization of the results was buried somewhere on one of the "far on the right" tabs of the main spreadsheet, along with calculation hidden even deeper in one of the depended spreadsheets. At the same time this table is the best indicator of the investigation progress in terms of the accumulated data on the tip off related locations, representing the summary for the "timetable driven" part for each tick in the 12-weeks long "Big Cycle", so recently I've placed a copy on the title tab of the main project spreadsheet.

Here we go (screenshot from today, for the up-to-date data always better to check the projects "Welcome" tab):

TO timing stats.png

The upper row of cells is our "time" axis, consists of 12 "ticks" - 1-week long periods between 2 consequent server maintenance procedures, from Thargsday to Thargsday - numbered from 0 to 11 and representing one "Big Cycle" (12 weeks), after that things do indefinitely repeat (in absence of external interference). Current tick is highlighted (we are on the tick #4 of the Big Cycle)

Then two rows representing our progress in Colonia, where "all" means how many sites are in the active state (i.e. visible and could be visited), and "fresh" representing the sites that are on their first tick of activity - "freshly activated". The latter do exactly coincides with the number of potentially "assignable" Tip Off missions for the given tick (the "mission" system do take into account only "freshly" activated site - better to say "supposed to" - in order for the commander to have at least 1 week after the assignment to visit the location before "the visit of the clean-up crew" and the disappearance of that location.

Some important notes before we proceed to the Bubble part of the table:

Coloration scheme: gradient from 0 (red) to current max in each row (green), yellow being at 50%.

The most important data is the "fresh" row - "all" effectively is the result of a running sum of the 2 consequent cells in the "fresh" row (taking into account cyclic nature, i.e. 11->0 transition)

That's not at all "fresh news" (outdated by half a year) but we can state that we do already know all locations in Colonia (thanks to combined effort of all participated commanders and Ian's prediction of the "pattern"). Also one can clearly observe that the number of the "just activated" sites in Colonia is constant - 5 - with an exception of one particular tick (tick #2, only 3 freshly activated sites). This situation have a simple explanation from the design point of view - from the "commanders" point of view all ticks must be equal, and the opportunities to be assigned with a Tip Off mission (i.e. the number of assignable locations) must be same. For further explanations it's important to note that this explanation was - in fact - a prediction at some point in advance and was done before most of the cells in the "fresh" row in Colonia became "green". I.e. that was a hypotheses that was later proved by the experience.

Now we can proceed to the Bubble part where the situation is quite more complex and "unfinished" (and not only due to the difference in sizes of the Bubble and Colinia). Let me remind you that the Tip Off mechanics is an old and complex one, and "survived" some evaluations/additions since its first introduction. In case of the Bubble it consists effectively of the three "waves" - the first is the "original" pool of crashed ship (CS) locations, than, later, addition of the Tip Off directing to some "chosen" planetary settlements (bases), and the third - and last one - is the addition of the "unidentified wreckage" (UW) class of sites. Only 1st and 3rd are time-dependent, settlements are permanent. So - by historical reasons - "all" and "fresh" rows in the Bubble part of table refer only to timetable driven part of locations. "CS" and "UW" show the number of freshly activated sites in each subcategory, so "CS"+"UW"="fresh" for each tick.

The same "ticks must be even (or tend to be even)" rule (as in Colonia) mentioned earlier can be applied to both CS and UW classes separately (or to their sum), the presence of "bases" do not affect this equation being constant by definition.

Now, the "Total" column reflects the sum of cells in the corresponding row, i.e. the total number of locations we are aware in the given subcategory, "max" is the current known maximum of known locations per tick along the Big Cycle, and "Max'ed estim" - it the estimation of how many of them could be if the "tendency to be even" rule is applied - i.e. "Max'ed" multiplied by the number of ticks in the cycle (12). So theoretically we can (re-)discover up to 156 (144 CS and 12 UW) time-driven locations in the Bubble (and 130 we do know already) - supposing that current per tick maximum (13) will not be grown even more by some lucky discoverer (probably still possible, this will add automatically another 12 in "todo" list, at the same time even bigger numbers are less and less "likely").

The most uncertain number is the final quantity of the Tip Off related settlements.(Oh, those settlements are the biggest pain and effectively the largest barrier for present investigation). Let's say that there are some quite indirect calculations that allow us to suppose this number being comparable to the final quantity of two other categories. Hmm, very approximately, in fact, and detailed explanations do require an article of the same size =)

For now just for simplicity let us suppose them to be equal. I.e. 156 "timetable driven" locations and another 156 "permanent" bases (out of 130 and 78 already known). This immediately results in the following estimation:

one must obtain 156 (permanent bases) + (156/12)*2 (12th part of timetable driven locations, for 2 ticks-long session) = 182 Tip Off missions to fully cover the Bubble in two weeks. Kind of 2-week long "snapshot" of the active locations.

Recently I've heard about quite good productivity in that domain - 2 Tip Offs per hour. Taking this as the reference, one can obtain following requirements:

182/2 = 91 hours;

91/14 = 6 hours 30 minutes of grind each day, for two weeks without interruptions

And... Repeat this process 6 times in order to get them all....

Oh, it late here now

Also, we have at least 26-18=8 timetable driven locations still undiscovered in this tick... and probably another 78 bases. Also, the prizes in current CG looks interesting=)

So, hope to continue this in the next part or digest

o7
cmdr dja

A small digest on the recent updates in the frame of Tip Off investigation project.

Part 1. Basis for the Tip Off locations final count predictions

While during the whole last year the overall number of the new locations added to the list was hardly more than a dozen, since the very end of the year and till present - due to the combined and not always intentional effort of commanders - there have been more than 30 new entries reported, for the period of slightly more than one month. So quite logical question - how many still unknown - i.e. never reported - locations remains there? Or how many Tip Off missions one must get in order to dig down to those so far "undocumented" layers? What is the most efficient way? I usually do respond to those questions with some "theoretical" numbers and "predictions" and the next logical question is from where those numbers come from? Where do I get them?

So the main theme for the present review will be one of my "favorite" tables connected to the Tip Off investigation. The first versions of this table have appeared not far from the very beginning (summer 2019), when the cyclic nature of the locations lifespan (2 weeks in a 12 weeks long cycle) has been established and the automatic calculations for location activity timetables have been implemented. However the visualization of the results was buried somewhere on one of the "far on the right" tabs of the main spreadsheet, along with calculation hidden even deeper in one of the depended spreadsheets. At the same time this table is the best indicator of the investigation progress in terms of the accumulated data on the tip off related locations, representing the summary for the "timetable driven" part for each tick in the 12-weeks long "Big Cycle", so recently I've placed a copy on the title tab of the main project spreadsheet.

Here we go (screenshot from today, for the up-to-date data always better to check the projects "Welcome" tab):

View attachment 207159

The upper row of cells is our "time" axis, consists of 12 "ticks" - 1-week long periods between 2 consequent server maintenance procedures, from Thargsday to Thargsday - numbered from 0 to 11 and representing one "Big Cycle" (12 weeks), after that things do indefinitely repeat (in absence of external interference). Current tick is highlighted (we are on the tick #4 of the Big Cycle)

Then two rows representing our progress in Colonia, where "all" means how many sites are in the active state (i.e. visible and could be visited), and "fresh" representing the sites that are on their first tick of activity - "freshly activated". The latter do exactly coincides with the number of potentially "assignable" Tip Off missions for the given tick (the "mission" system do take into account only "freshly" activated site - better to say "supposed to" - in order for the commander to have at least 1 week after the assignment to visit the location before "the visit of the clean-up crew" and the disappearance of that location.

Some important notes before we proceed to the Bubble part of the table:

Coloration scheme: gradient from 0 (red) to current max in each row (green), yellow being at 50%.

The most important data is the "fresh" row - "all" effectively is the result of a running sum of the 2 consequent cells in the "fresh" row (taking into account cyclic nature, i.e. 11->0 transition)

That's not at all "fresh news" (outdated by half a year) but we can state that we do already know all locations in Colonia (thanks to combined effort of all participated commanders and Ian's prediction of the "pattern"). Also one can clearly observe that the number of the "just activated" sites in Colonia is constant - 5 - with an exception of one particular tick (tick #2, only 3 freshly activated sites). This situation have a simple explanation from the design point of view - from the "commanders" point of view all ticks must be equal, and the opportunities to be assigned with a Tip Off mission (i.e. the number of assignable locations) must be same. For further explanations it's important to note that this explanation was - in fact - a prediction at some point in advance and was done before most of the cells in the "fresh" row in Colonia became "green". I.e. that was a hypotheses that was later proved by the experience.

Now we can proceed to the Bubble part where the situation is quite more complex and "unfinished" (and not only due to the difference in sizes of the Bubble and Colinia). Let me remind you that the Tip Off mechanics is an old and complex one, and "survived" some evaluations/additions since its first introduction. In case of the Bubble it consists effectively of the three "waves" - the first is the "original" pool of crashed ship (CS) locations, than, later, addition of the Tip Off directing to some "chosen" planetary settlements (bases), and the third - and last one - is the addition of the "unidentified wreckage" (UW) class of sites. Only 1st and 3rd are time-dependent, settlements are permanent. So - by historical reasons - "all" and "fresh" rows in the Bubble part of table refer only to timetable driven part of locations. "CS" and "UW" show the number of freshly activated sites in each subcategory, so "CS"+"UW"="fresh" for each tick.

The same "ticks must be even (or tend to be even)" rule (as in Colonia) mentioned earlier can be applied to both CS and UW classes separately (or to their sum), the presence of "bases" do not affect this equation being constant by definition.

Now, the "Total" column reflects the sum of cells in the corresponding row, i.e. the total number of locations we are aware in the given subcategory, "max" is the current known maximum of known locations per tick along the Big Cycle, and "Max'ed estim" - it the estimation of how many of them could be if the "tendency to be even" rule is applied - i.e. "Max'ed" multiplied by the number of ticks in the cycle (12). So theoretically we can (re-)discover up to 156 (144 CS and 12 UW) time-driven locations in the Bubble (and 130 we do know already) - supposing that current per tick maximum (13) will not be grown even more by some lucky discoverer (probably still possible, this will add automatically another 12 in "todo" list, at the same time even bigger numbers are less and less "likely").

The most uncertain number is the final quantity of the Tip Off related settlements.(Oh, those settlements are the biggest pain and effectively the largest barrier for present investigation). Let's say that there are some quite indirect calculations that allow us to suppose this number being comparable to the final quantity of two other categories. Hmm, very approximately, in fact, and detailed explanations do require an article of the same size =)

For now just for simplicity let us suppose them to be equal. I.e. 156 "timetable driven" locations and another 156 "permanent" bases (out of 130 and 78 already known). This immediately results in the following estimation:

one must obtain 156 (permanent bases) + (156/12)*2 (12th part of timetable driven locations, for 2 ticks-long session) = 182 Tip Off missions to fully cover the Bubble in two weeks. Kind of 2-week long "snapshot" of the active locations.

Recently I've heard about quite good productivity in that domain - 2 Tip Offs per hour. Taking this as the reference, one can obtain following requirements:

182/2 = 91 hours;

91/14 = 6 hours 30 minutes of grind each day, for two weeks without interruptions

And... Repeat this process 6 times in order to get them all....

Oh, it late here now

Also, we have at least 26-18=8 timetable driven locations still undiscovered in this tick... and probably another 78 bases. Also, the prizes in current CG looks interesting=)

So, hope to continue this in the next part or digest

o7
cmdr dja

incredible data and work - been following all year

Still estimating final count for bases

Hope my previous post have shown that the biggest stopper in our advance to acquire new locations is the quantity and permanently activated nature of the planetary bases associated to the Tip Off missions (as the biggest contributor in the formulas above) . The interest in the locations of the bases is mostly academic now - probably (only probably) - their placement could - in some unforeseeable future - give a bit more light in understanding how Stellar Forge originating phenomena works in habitable - "disturbed" - areas. At the same time the associated group of messages - by all the signs possible - is already fully acquired, and at the same time is the only known group of Tip Off related messages that have been ever analyzed in details (Holdstock report). So there is no real reason to wait for any new discoveries in the domain of never previously mentioned "corporate data logs", only locations themselves will be new (but not their contents).
At the same time - as it was shown above - one must repeatedly (on two weeks basis) receive all missions directing to those bases in order to make any new advances to the "timetable driven" sites in the same area. So the estimations of how many bases could be in a given area - or their final count - were always an important part for planning of the present investigation workflow.
Oh, certainly, we've tried to break this "barrier" by all other means possible. During the first year two commanders (@ironshirt and me) about in the same time have tried to "trick the system" by pre-scanning all known at this time locations associated with planetary bases, hoping that pre-scanned locations will not reappear in the assignment queue due to the associated two-weeks cooldown timer. Scanning all known bases (~40 at that time) is way faster (one particularly long game session with TSP-optimized route -thanks to commanders from CEC - is sufficient) than any other method of acquiring Tip Offs for the same number of locations...
To no avail. Even that at the very beginning we've both thought that this is a "win" - no Tip Off at all, but... that was just false impression and hopes. Now - with all the data and understandings acquired since that times - I know it was a dead end idea all along but the explanation belongs to separate topic.
Later - as a final prove - I've got a tip off mission to location that I've scanned - directed by earlier received mission from the same faction - less than 24 hours before. Even the scan voucher has been returned to the real mission-giver...
If I remember well - about at that time - a bit later - the geo-check rule for mission assignment has been established. And that have made the estimation of the final count of Tip Off-related bases even more important.
My first approximations were based on the ratio of Tip Off missions directing to bases and to timetable driven sites received along those few classic rank grinding sessions by other commanders I've got the information about and my own intentional attempts to grind for tip offs. 4 or 5 "runs" resulted in 10-15 Tip Offs each and with quite a number of improvable assumptions - like homogeneous or similar distribution of both subsets of locations - have allowed me to estimate the final count of bases being ~3/4 of the final count of timetable driven ones (with the methods to estimate the latter already described in part 1).
However the mostly "intuitive" assumptions that have been made and lack of data for better statistics make those estimation quite imprecise (and my laziness to correctly calculate induced errors).
A bit later another method has been tested. While based on the available at that time data I've decided to calculate the "center of the mass" of all known locations - let's say to get some kind of the geometrical center for the given cloud of points, then I've calculated the "radial" density histogram for the known locations in a spherical layers centered in the calculated point. Honestly I have buried those calculations somewhere that far that could not find them at the moment of writing this review, so I'll post here only the results obtained at that earlier stages - stacked densities (sites per 1ly^3) of settlements (red) and timetable driven sites (blue) - without repeating the calculations for present state of the database (and may be for a good reason as I'll try to explain later).

Tip_Off_locations_density_in_the_Bubble30_ly_steps.png

Unsurprisingly the observed density falls to zero outside of the Bubble (>250ly, also, I have intentionally have not took into account sites in Pleiades), less evident "hollow" present near the "center". The latter can be explained as direct consequence of the "geo-check rule" - Tip Off missions being always assigned to the furthest location available from the current coordinates of the commander. So even in case of the best selection of the origin system - somewhere as far from Bubble as possible, but not near Colonia - one will require to receive at least half of the overall "active" locations in order to receive those pointing to the central parts of the Bubble (must admit that's not the only possible explanation).
As a sidenote, maximum of the shown distribution corresponds to approximately 1 TO location in a 47*47*47 ly^3 cube, that was at that time in a good correlation with commander @ironshirt observation about approx. 1 Tip Off location in a 20 ly sphere. Also, the most important observation one can obtain from this data is that settlements and timetable driven sites have "similar" average distributions and comparable densities (i.e. once again #settlements ~ #timetable drive sites).
Evidently this method have some drawbacks and some artificial assumptions that are difficult to justify. It requires certain assumptions on symmetry and homogeneity (quite likely that is not the case, it could be more than one "center", i.e. the whole phenomena being the product of superposition of more than one "generation sphere" or something even more complex).
Also this method have quite a special drawback as it evidently very dependent on the "observer" - in our case the places - and methods - where (and how) the "recorded" locations have been obtained. While a Tip Off mission can be obtained literally anywhere in the inhabited space we know that some places are quite special for the players database. Oh yes, Sothis-Ceos, Robigo, Quince, modern places for rank/credits grinding, conflicts with Thargoids in WHN and evacuations, all those past and present favorite locations, that have effectively influenced the resulting distribution of the recorded locations. Even worse are the cases of intentional Tip Off grinding - like commander @ironshirt brute force prospecting of planetary bases for Tip Off related logs - in an attempt to prove his own "bread crumbs trail" theory - that have effectively resulted in the local anomaly in the density of the documented locations.

Now it's good time to remind that there is an interactive visualization available for all so far recorded tip off related locations that I've recently updated with the newest additions (). All timetable driven sites can be selected separately on a per tick basis, along with "permanent" bases and some selected "Reference" systems (for better navigation). ( only one the most recently obtained is still omitted from presented datasets)
In fact the updated distribution looks even less homogenous then it was the case before the latest additions, "anomalies" being most noticeable when leaving visible only "settlements" on the map. Partially that is explainable by another "intended" attempt of Tip Off grinding (this time it was my own), that I'll talk a bit later.
In fact recent addition (once again thanks to cmdrs @Factabulous , @goemon and Lord Farr) consists of exactly 30 locations, 28 of them pointing to bases (and were received exclusively via Tip Off missions) and only 2 to timetable driven sites (and only one of them has been received as a mission, another one is a random find).
That discovery "ratio" represents quite well the situation with the acquisition of any new "rare" logs that probably remain still undiscovered (that's possible only from timetable driven locations, not all, but only some small part of them - rare from even more rare case).
Now it's time when I must honestly admit that I'm not at all good at missions, and at grinding anything using missions mechanics, and probably I'm better at srv driving than in flying ships. However I've recently established my own personal record on the amount of Tip Offs received during a two-ticks company. Doing evacuations and related missions, I've received 59 Tip Offs from two relatively "distant" (from the Bubble) locations - Coalsack and WHN (I was a bit "late on the train", so 1 tick in Coalsack, then another one in WHN). That is in fact the longest fully recorded 2-ticks limited "company" of Tip Off grinding. Oh, I know that this is not even close to any exceptional results (I've seen reports - and not once - of hundred(s) of tip offs received even back in 2016), but the only information remaining of those efforts were screenshots of the inbox full with "tip off" missions....
Now we return to the original approach of frequency/ratio calculations. 59 TO received, and only 9 of them directing to the timetable driven sites. Taking into account that this sequence has been acquired during two ticks, the same "probed" volume of the Bubble-space must contain approximately 9x6=54 "timetable driven" locations (TTDL). So 50 stationary bases (ST) versus 54 "sites" TTDL in about the same space, that, taking into account inevitable statistical errors are two comparable values (can be less or more). That feels good between first estimations of 0.75 to more recent 1.0 ratio of bases versus TTDL final quantity.
And finally, I'm ready to talk about some visually detectable anomalies, related to the present distribution of so far prospected Tip Off related locations, specifically - those directing to settlements (even that those "anomalies" can be just a side product of my own imagination).

Strange - and not so - anomalies in tip off locations distributions.

Here are two images. One is just a snapshot of galmap with bookmarked locations of all the Tip Off mission destinations received during my own recent grind from Coalsack and WHN (with exception of about 5 non-related). It's in fact a result of superposition of two "hat-like" things on the opposite - to respective grinding areas - sides of the Bubble.
59 TO grind session results.jpg

Due to this "hats" some of the observable non-homogeneities of the resulted distribution in the prospected "bases" can be explained, except two that my own eyes catch on the image below (image from the same perspective - a view from above of the galactic plane):
TO bases.png

Relatively "High density" of the "prospected" bases on the ~North and ~East of the Bubble is due to the selection of the grinding "origins" (the "hats" from the image above).
However, there are - imo - two other detectable anomalies.
First - some kind of "reduced" density of locations near "zero-planes". Not expecting anything of real value, also resembles - on a different scale - the problem with neutron star density in the galaxy. So probably another non-intended artifact of the Stellar Forge.
Second - and quite more interesting - is a strange "hollow" area centered "visually" at the very right point of the Grom's star logo.
Preamble #1: Many thanks to Canonn group and their site that still have the records related to my own visit to the Raward Depot settlement in the system Coni - back in 2017 (That was not my own discovery, btw - I was called there by another fellow commander "to clarify the situation with a strange behavior of the otherwise standard settlement"). That was probably the first ever documented record of a tip off location found by pure occasion. However, there were some particular aspects of that encounter that have never been recorded in Canonn archives (but still stored in my own private sidenotes) ;) First of all, my game client was surprisingly stable in that period, so catching TWO CTD's in a row while prospecting an absolutely otherwise "normal" settlement - my usual activity at those days - were quite an unwelcomed surprise. However much more interesting fact - there were a crash site about only 2 km's from that settlement. No, not a random one. Yes, a tip off related - with a message from the "Crash1" group. Two tip off related sources on the same planet.... and same coordinates. And no - now Rawat Depot is relatively bug-free, standard Tip-Off related settlement, and no any "special" crash sites in the vicinity. That was at the very beginning, supposedly just a little unintentional "glimpse" on the underlying "programming kitchen".
Preamble #2: (joking... mostly) Since the time I've joined the community of IRH discord I do constantly repeat that I'm kind of "anti-Raxxla hunter" - as effectively I'm mostly studing phenomena/locations "where Raxxla could not be, just by definition". Yep, the "most ordinary ones", whole "tip off" related mechanics - and locations - being one of them. Now - surprise-surprise - I sit here staring at a particular area where one of those mechanics- "where Raxxla could not be" - has been silently "switched off", supposedly "surpressed" by something other with a "higher priority" (regarding preamble #1) =)))
Now, seriously. This particular area is in fact "free" of one of the Tip Off related class of locations (thats is not true for the other types, but it's not of a real importance). This could be just a glitch, an artifact of procedural generation (and quite probably are). However it can be also the case of suppression of one generation mechanics by another, with "higher priority". Not Raxxla related, but something "volumetric": special bio/geo, types of settlements or space ports, some other phenomena. That can be literally anything. So my question to the community - are there any ideas? Of what this could be (once again. in that's not a glitch - if we'll be able to prospect the South;South-West;West areas then probably the "definition" of a glich will be more "precise" in the Tip off area )?

o7, commanders

Had a go at my first tip-off today (HIP 1742). What a disappointment! The coordinates took me to a secure facility where my SRV was destroyed (by a Viper MK3 of all things) when I tried to approach it. What did I do wrong - surely this can't be deliberate?

Had a go at my first tip-off today (HIP 1742). What a disappointment! The coordinates took me to a secure facility where my SRV was destroyed (by a Viper MK3 of all things) when I tried to approach it. What did I do wrong - surely this can't be deliberate?
Nowadays most of the Tip Off (~ 7 out of 8) one can receive will be those directing to planetary bases, many of them being secured - i.e. are not "srv-safe".
The best way to get the target scan is to use a small or medium size ship and scan the "core data terminal" using on-board datalink scanner, then flee away as fast as possible. One must be really quick - only slightly more then 20 seconds to do it without negative consequences.

in fact,
IF Tip Off mission text contains anything from that list:
One of our associates has intercepted part of a data packet. We want the rest of it.
If you can get there before anyone can secure the datapoint, maybe you can turn a profit from any information recovered.
A security systems failure has left a lot of very lucrative data lying around. We need you to recover it for us. You can keep whatever else you find at the site
We have identified the location of some very lucrative data. If you can recover it before anyone else, there will be a handsome reward in it for you.
This needs to be on the down-low, Commander. We've got a lead on some high-value data. If you can recover it, maybe we can put it to good use.
Our operatives have found some high-value data at a settlement belonging to our competitor. We would appreciate your help scanning it so we can keep ahead of them.
THEN
the destination will be a planetary settlement
(valid for area around the Bubble, as there are no Tip-Off related settlements in Colonia)

Is there a finite amount of these? Perhaps I chased them all down. I think I did maybe 6 or 7...
Yep, there is definitely a finite number of sites - in fact two "walls of text" I've posted earlier where about their final count. However there number is significantly greater than 6-7.
In the Bubble we already know about 208 locations, and there some more still never reported.

Odd then that I stopped receiving them so long ago but really havent changed much about how I play and what I do.
Honestly my "normal" gameplay doesn't render any Tip Offs at all - I receive them only as in the result of intentional grinding for them.

Also, while the number of possible locations is finite, there is no any real or imaginable limits for the number of times a commander can be assigned a Tip Off related mission, i.e. same location can be assigned any number of times whenever commander meets required conditions.

So far I know only about one very specific case - my own "main" account - that have a "broken" Tip Off assignment chain. But that is the result of intentional "over-grinding" during a very particular weekly server tick in Colonia - a "time window" that happens only once in three months. Still have not submitted the ticket to "repair" this situation.

Even more interesting, I stopped getting them (what feels like) around the same time I hit admiral too. I used to get them pretty frequently just from doing a lot of bgs work. I wonder if that is part of the equation?

Top Bottom