Investigation into the "Mysterious Stranger"

If we can keep the commentary on everyone's opinions concerning the game's development direction or issues the game may or may not have to a minimum, I'd like to try to keep this thread on topic as much as possible. Just remember that opinions are like ________. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm not a former mission guy, I'm a current mission guy.

Still not gonna explicitly tell you what spawns tip off messages because tin foil hat conspiracies are more fun.

Ian Doncaster's post is the most accurate post I've seen anyone write up about tip-offs, but it's not completely correct.

Thanks,
Dom

With all due respect, I find this a tad frustrating. I've never, ever, ever gotten a tipoff. Not a single one, since the game launched. And I don't even know for certain why.

I'm certainly not going to park in one system and mindlessly grind in the hopes of catching one. The reason I'm unwilling to do that is exactly the reason why I'm so frustrated that I never get the tip-offs: I'm playing the game to have adventures, not grind. Tip-offs seem like a great vehicle for adventure, but to get them I (apparently?) have to stop adventuring and run bulk missions? That just doesn't seem right.

Which system you were in when you recieved the tip off.
19 Phi-2 Ceti docked at Crick City
I just completed a donnation mission (450k CR to Ronin Inc)

Which factions (if any) you were allied with in that system. If you want to provide your reputation level with each faction in the system, I would not be opposed.
Ronin Inc (None) 61.100 % Allied
Future of 19 Phi-2 Ceti (Civil war) 12.000 % Neutral
19 Phi-2 Ceti Central Interstellar (Civil war) 11.800 % Cordial
Official 19 Phi-2 Ceti Party (None) 5.600 % Cordial
Dominion of 19 Phi-2 Ceti (Boom) 5.500 % Allied
Cartel of 19 Phi-2 Ceti (Boom) 4.000 % Neutral
LTT 569 United Co (None) 0.000 % Neutral

Your pilot's federation rankings when you recieved the tip off.
Reputation 89%, Rank Lieutenant 14%

The destination of the tip off. System, Planet, and Coordinates if a surface wreck or POI. If it's a surface installation, include the same, but additionally provide the facility name and the controlling faction.
Khontam A 3 a. Lat 28.15. Long 80.00
Type : unknown didn't went yet

The text of the tip off itself. This may be typed out or an image of the message.
https://gyazo.com/566b3bec04dd005f1b2a839821a9802c

Any data or items recovered/found at the site. This includes logs and any materials or commodities.
https://gyazo.com/c302da1c703e6d544c9cc87f3eb929db
https://gyazo.com/6685b0c42be1d3a0b92ec12b12868124
A thargoid sensor (rolled down the hill), a few comodities (wine grain)

1 548 865 CR for Ship Wreck Data Package

Any additional information that you deem pertinent to the investigation.
The sensor keeps emitting sounds. Recorded them there [ https://soundcloud.com/cylianna-nyn-68130215/thargsensor ] (sorry for the SRV noises)
A couple of skimmers (got bounty for killing them)
There's a destroyed cargo rack on the site that is targetable but unscoopable and scanning it doesn't do anything.
The ship clearly suffered shoots from something. (Large ship, dunno the model, looks like the back of python)

A quick update. I can confirm that there is something else to the system of receiving tip offs than running lots of missions for allied minor factions. My methodology at this point isn't what would be considered strictly scientific and has limited sample size, but here it is.

My most recent tip off messages came in while I was running evacuation missions in Dhanhopi. I received two simultaneously. They came in after just a few hours of evacuation missions. Working under the assumption that this would be repeatable, I headed to Valkups to do the same this week. After several days of exclusively running evacuation missions in a type 9, no sign of a tip off.

All this means is that at the very least there is a significant RNG element. It could also mean that there is some other trigger that I haven't yet found. Or alternatively a cool down timer on how frequently a CMDR can receive tip offs.

I will update this thread if and when I get additional information.

There's a destroyed cargo rack on the site that is targetable but unscoopable and scanning it doesn't do anything.
If you shoot these a bit they break apart and give you a raw material or two (usually high-grade)

All this means is that at the very least there is a significant RNG element. It could also mean that there is some other trigger that I haven't yet found. Or alternatively a cool down timer on how frequently a CMDR can receive tip offs.
I don't think it's quite a cool down timer so much as the tip off sites themselves not all existing at once, so once you've found all the currently live ones you can't find any more until some older ones disappear and newer ones appear.

Deleted member 38366

D
The "Identity of the Mysterious Stranger" is long known (?)

- RNG TipOff location from a pool is given (in V3.1 Colonia received its own pool)
- after a certain amount of high-ranked Missions one is issued; repeatedly running large stacks of Missions can have you easily hold several ones at the end of the day
- TipOffs have nothing "mysterious" to them and the "Mysterious Stranger" is just fluff text as an anchor for the mechanic to get that inbox offer (it simply has to come from somewhere, so the ASCII String just reads "from that guy")
-> it's the same fluff as the Inbox Text; i.e. that guy who wants you to search for a friend/relative etc. , while in fact you don't have a specific drop-off location for the successful Core Data Scan, since no actual Mission giver exists
-> or i.e. "Valuable Cargo Stash" fluff text will have you discover the same few typical low-value Canisters from the RNG pick and the Data Link Scan will be the primary payout as usual

All TipOffs share the same core mechanics that way and merely offer you a few Credits (and depending on Site some Elements or Materials) one way or another.
That basic nature and missing follow-up Gameplay (it stops halfway) is the reason probably most Players treat TipOffs like Spam and delete them from the Inbox as soon as they run in.

They're interesting the 1st few times until you recognize the RNG, Pattern and discover that all the various Message Texts are just fluff.
Back in the bubble, I've received a hundred TipOffs over months that all pointed to a mere 5-6 identical Locations - over and over again.
Plus, their income is typically very low compared to standard vanilla Missions or alternatively executing them requires illegal actions in inhabited Systems which isn't worth the hassle.

Thus.... nothing there, nothing to "investigate". It's really as simple as that. There is no "mysterious Stranger" other than the mentioned chosen anchor ASCII text string.

PS.
It has been suggested to complete the incomplete gameplay parts of the TipOff mechanics several times in the past, since it offers some interesting potential and generally being a good idea.
Additionally, it's been suggested to use the TipOff mechanics to implement storyline or any other Exploration/mystery-related content pieces (= not the same old, known locations with generic content).

AFAIK none of that has happened yet, at least I'm not aware of anyone ever seeing something different from the usual/generic Sites that came from a TipOff.
I've been to a handful in Colonia just to check them out and found nothing but the usual (not interesting) generic stuff plus some bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK none of that has happened yet, at least I'm not aware of anyone ever seeing something different from the usual/generic Sites that came from a TipOff.
I've been to a handful in Colonia just to check them out and found nothing but the usual (not interesting) generic stuff plus some bugs.

Interesting to know that Colonia has them too.

The "Identity of the Mysterious Stranger" is long known (?)

- RNG TipOff location from a pool is given (in V3.1 Colonia received its own pool)
- after a certain amount of high-ranked Missions one is issued; repeatedly running large stacks of Missions can have you easily hold several ones at the end of the day
- TipOffs have nothing "mysterious" to them and the "Mysterious Stranger" is just fluff text as an anchor for the mechanic to get that inbox offer (it simply has to come from somewhere, so the ASCII String just reads "from that guy")
-> it's the same fluff as the Inbox Text; i.e. that guy who wants you to search for a friend/relative etc. , while in fact you don't have a specific drop-off location for the successful Core Data Scan, since no actual Mission giver exists
-> or i.e. "Valuable Cargo Stash" fluff text will have you discover the same few typical low-value Canisters from the RNG pick and the Data Link Scan will be the primary payout as usual

All TipOffs share the same core mechanics that way and merely offer you a few Credits (and depending on Site some Elements or Materials) one way or another.
That basic nature and missing follow-up Gameplay (it stops halfway) is the reason probably most Players treat TipOffs like Spam and delete them from the Inbox as soon as they run in.

They're interesting the 1st few times until you recognize the RNG, Pattern and discover that all the various Message Texts are just fluff.
Back in the bubble, I've received a hundred TipOffs over months that all pointed to a mere 5-6 identical Locations - over and over again.
Plus, their income is typically very low compared to standard vanilla Missions or alternatively executing them requires illegal actions in inhabited Systems which isn't worth the hassle.

Thus.... nothing there, nothing to "investigate". It's really as simple as that. There is no "mysterious Stranger" other than the mentioned chosen anchor ASCII text string.

PS.
It has been suggested to complete the incomplete gameplay parts of the TipOff mechanics several times in the past, since it offers some interesting potential and generally being a good idea.
Additionally, it's been suggested to use the TipOff mechanics to implement storyline or any other Exploration/mystery-related content pieces (= not the same old, known locations with generic content).

While I will agree that the majority of the tip off missions are nearly identical (even down to the exact wording) and that they tend to pay very little, I must disagree on your point that there is nothing to investigate. I currently have collected about 30 different reports of various tip off missions (the majority from the thread referenced my Jmanis earlier). Most of these sites are what you refer to as "fluff". However, the intriguing ones are those that are unique. These are sites that (at least as of yet) do not share site log text with any other. It is these unique sites specifically that I am attempting to sift out of the tip off mission system as a whole.

You also mention that you do not believe that there is any singular "mysterious stranger". This may be correct. In terms of game lore the "mysterious stanger" may be different people at different times. Perhaps they are never the same person twice.

Also, personally I won't be completely satisfied until I can reliably get tip offs to spawn on demand. Or at least determine somewhat the range of missions or other activities that must be completed to get one to drop. But that's just me. If I decide I want to know how something works, I'll keep looking until I'm satisfied.

Happened with me today.
I was at Denebola. Living there several days so far, did bounty hunting and combat missions. Got TIP OFF message after completing mission from allied faction.
ms.png

It was rather simple:
- 5 jumps to the system
- landed using coordinates
- scanned data, picked up three containers
- did small trip around, picked some selenium, found fallen nav beacon
- after launch got high grade signal source with imperial shieldings
- docked at closest station (IKEYA VISION), sold all picked items

Btw, once I've met CRASHED SHIP POI before (don't remember system), I've landed there wondering around, there were crashed ship and several bungalows located near, it seemed that some investigation was in progress.

Last edited:
Thanks dm06. This looks like one of the more common types of tip-offs (down to the exact wording), though I believe that this location is new. I'll add the info to my spreadsheet as soon as I get the chance.

Received 3 tipoffs from mr. stranger. I decided to go to sothis/ceos to finish some fed faction and got them nearly upon arrival. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I am allied with about everyone out here, though.

Investigation results:
1) Crashed ship location Gamma-2 Normae A 1 a Lat: -30.47 Lon: 136.43
Crashed Diamond Back. Apparently a mercenary according to the scanned message.
Picked up a escape pod which I will return to search and rescue. Some junk lying about. Cobalt, advanced catalysers. .That sort of thing.

Scanned message reads as:

Comms Record:
Sorry boss, but I don't see where the profit is in this job.
Sure I feel bad for those people, but if there is no reward
why are we doing this?

I mean we're mercenaries and mercenaries get paid.

2) Can't read my own writing on this one. Henkondha B6? That isn't a place so I can't go there.
Lat: 80.87 Lon: 155.87

3) Col 285 Sector QD-P B20-1 4a Lat: 62.76 Lon 65.67

On the way to the lat/lon I found a smoking crashed sidewinder with a message. Aluminum and liquor lying about. Since I found nothing at the exact lat/lon (which was nearby) I assume this wreck was what was intended.

Comms Record:
So This is the cop that thought he could sabotage my ship?
Well it looks like you only did half the job, Mr. Policeman.

Take this space trash for a walk outside.

One thing to note, I saw in my transactions that I have shipwreck data packages. Worth 2,682,381 credits.

Last edited:
At some point while many of us have been carrying out missions or otherwise just flying around, each of us may have recieved a message from someone identified only as "Mysterious Stranger". These messages can be in few different forms. Those that I have recieved have either given the location of a crashed ship and asked me to collect the logs from the site or asked me to raid some surface installation (all high security) for data. I'm undertaking an investigation to attempt to determine the identity of this "Mysterious Stranger", who they work for, and what their motivations may be. It may not be possible to determine all three, but with enough information it should be possible to at least determine a possible overarching motive.

However, there is a catch. These specific types of tip-offs do not spawn consistently. In the years I've been flying, I remember recieving only four or five in total. Additionally, the payouts are generally considered mediocre at best therefore many CMDR's ignore these messages entirely. Given these complications, specific data concerning these missions is sparse to say the least. Therefore, I have a request for each member of the Pilot's Federation.

My request is simple, if you recieve one of these tip off messages/missions,do everything in your power to investigate the site or accomplish the mission. Then, once you have completed your investigation of the site and/or accomplished the mission pass on as much of the following information to me as possible:

1. Which system you were in when you recieved the tip off.
  2. Which factions (if any) you were allied with in that system. If you want to provide your reputation level with each faction in the system, I would not be opposed.
  3. Your pilot's federation rankings when you recieved the tip off.
  4. The destination of the tip off. System, Planet, and Coordinates if a surface wreck or POI. If it's a surface installation, include the same, but additionally provide the facility name and the controlling faction.
  5. The text of the tip off itself. This may be typed out or an image of the message.
  6. Any data or items recovered/found at the site. This includes logs and any materials or commodities.
  7. Any additional information that you deem pertinent to the investigation.

Some may require assistance from other CMDR's given the difficulty of raiding high security sites alone. If you recieve assistance, ensure that you are the one to scan any data points or logs. If you do not do so, any data found at the site will not be decoded.

Though I cannot provide monetary reimbursement for your efforts, know that you will have my gratitude and that of the entire galactic community for your efforts.

For all dark things shall be brought to light. Fly dangerously CMDR's.

CMDR TheoVerwolf

Dev. Dav mentioned in a livestream a year or so ago, tip-off missions spawn after 15 mins spent in a system, maybe you should hang around more cmdr. ;)

Last edited:
Dev. Dav mentioned in a livestream a year or so ago, tip-off missions spawn after 15 mins spent in a system, maybe you should hang around more cmdr. ;)

There seems to be more to it than just that. At least when it comes to these specific tip offs. I won't say that time in system isn't a factor, but I have spent several hours consectutively in systems where I'm allied to all factions with no result. Also, if you could track down that reference, it could be quite helpful as he may have been referring to the random faction mission requests you recieve as well. Those tend to be more consistent.

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier

Hi,

That's non-station missions, not tip-offs.

Tip-offs are a direct result of completing a mission (It may have been changed in one of the mission board redesigns, so I'd have to recheck it, but we used to call this out in the mission completion screen).

Thanks,
Dom

Hi,

That's non-station missions, not tip-offs.

Tip-offs are a direct result of completing a mission (It may have been changed in one of the mission board redesigns, so I'd have to recheck it, but we used to call this out in the mission completion screen).

Thanks,
Dom

Cheers for your reply Dom :)

Please follow-up tomoz, or include it in the next livestream, if the mechanic has changed for 3.3 thanks

Picture 1
9E3CC1D64545B7410EB4A196275EB7DBF3CD951A

Picture 2
6F6325EB98B549278756B95B2234DF6AEB01F962

Picture 3
A445380BCB8B6B3F1983C61B6E2CB29FE4F3602C
The last picture: Col 285 is same planet and cords as BDelacroix. The 1.8 million intel is from photo 2 and photo 3 combined.

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier
Cheers for your reply Dom :)

Please follow-up tomoz, or include it in the next livestream, if the mechanic has changed for 3.3 thanks

Hi there,

Will try to follow it up when I get a chance, unfortunately I'm on holiday right now in order to perform my yearly pilgrimage to EGX, so I'm not at a machine with which I can try to repro this (neither released build nor dev)

Thanks,
Dom

Top Bottom