Is Chapter 4 "make it or break it" for you?

If the new mining stuff pays like crap then most people won't bother with it. If ice mining is still the worst paying aspect of the game after 3.3 then miners still won't bother visiting ice rings. If the new exploration mechanics and content is just for sightseeing then again many people won't waste their time on it. Frontier needs to not only develop fun mechanics for Q4, they also need to make them compelling from a rewards point of view, something they often blunder with.

I still can't believe that ice-mining and salvage are not sorted - they are simply not worth it for the credits - surely that could have been addressed by now?

I am hopeful - but, like some others, I'm gradually drifting away. I havent played in months. I follow the live streams and announcements, but nothing compells me to get in. I don't understand the thargoids. Something which has clearly been superbly though out and designed, has been implimented in a kind of laclustre way. The variants are..underwhelming. Especially after the superb appearance of the first Hyperdictions.

Don't get me wrong, it's been amazing - definitely value for money. I suppose it's the missed potential and promise. That sounds unfair, becuae they have delivered a brilliant thing. It's just there are quite a few ways it could have been even better - and some of those things just don't ever get sorted. However, this judgement can only really be applied after the release of the last of this 'core improvement' season. I thought it was a brave and brilliant decision to do this for a season: My only concern is there is a LOT still left to be done (for whatever reason), and only one patch left to do it in. When it's released, we can all judge fairly.

No. Even if FD stopped supporting Elite this very moment, I would still play regularly. The reason for that is that I do not use much of the functionality built into the game that many, unfortunately, say is broken or needs patching. I basically fly around from place to place seeing the sights. If I'm running low on money I'll do some PAX missions to full the coffers and then I'm right back to floating around aimlessly. Anything that FD add to the game now, for me, is just gravy. I hope it's awesome, but if it isn't, meh, I love the game as it is already.

This does not mean, however, that I am not passionate about the game. I want it to be successful and profitable, and I want everyone who plays it to have an enjoyable experience. That being said, yes, I would like them to continue to improve the areas that are lacking and fix the areas that are broken. And, seeing as how there has been a fair bit of disappointment lately regarding some recent updates and the weight-loss of the Q4 update, I would think that Q4 is a critical update for FD and for the community. Ergo, if Q4 is not a success, there may be a mass exodus of players which will negatively impact the future of Elite development.

So, although Q4 is not "make-it-or-break-it", it sure is important.

I understand completely, but I loved it a year and a half ago.

LEP owner here.
Away from the game since Beyond Q2 update as the game does not bring any meaningful stuff to stick around.

I have already traveled 1,2M Ly and after 3-4 years of full service including 5 majors exploration trips, I feel bored of the lack of new stuff for explorers.

I do not have the feeling to see new things, just again and again the same kind of systems and same lookalike planets. So Q4 will perhaps bring me in back, but I am not really confident as Icy planets are already out of the scope.

May be that a more major update/DLC could introduce some more fresh blood in the game veins. I still hope that. Nowadays I have plenty more of refreshing experience with others games.

Have fun here guys.

I don't know about make or break for anyone really as they've got our money no matter what :/

My Review:
Now that chapter 4 is here...
I see the subtle lighting changes and it's better than nothing...meh, next to nothing perhaps but it's noticeable at least...kind of.

Exploration scan of system thing is ok and I'm not sure if it's fun or not. Kind of like it I think...too soon to tell for me, though I can say it's not something that makes me want to load up the game so to speak.

Surface Probes...same as above.

New Mining.
I'm frustrated that I can't find the pws asteroid scanner thing and only 6 places listed online as a location for the module. Same for abrasion blaster thing. I hoped we could search in game by now for things like this. I'm apparently 400 to 900ly away from these...can't be bothered making the repetitive trips for.

I need more stored module slots, as for me, 120 is not nearly enough.

I have been mainly using my anaconda as a passsenger money maker boring myself to tears at Sirius atmos and my original home at rhea and engineering place has a chunk of my other ships about 500ly away from my current location. It feels laborious to trek back and forward to change ships and sell retrieve needed modded modules then sell modules to make room rinse & repeat. And it's over 12million to auto send my Fed corvette...
I wrongly thought maybe some of this would be sorted as quality of life.

The whole beyond update feels like what it is, some subtle changes and some minor to so-so changes that probably needed to happen. But oh god I'm still finding it all really boring.

I'm in the space legs/atmosphere camp. I don't think there was a chance for beyond to be anything but a disappointment for me in fairness to it. Still glad stuffs been changed a little. But that's all it is for me, just some stuff tweaked or little additions.

Hoping there's work being done and progress for much more but I'm not assuming anything :/

Last edited:
There is not much I can think of that would break the game for me personally at any point except if they brought in some form of paytowin which would bve an instant killer.

I will however be extremely disappointed if the next season going through 2019 does not include FPS space legs or atmospheric landings , I'm pretty sure not having either of these will break the game for quite a few.

I think we would be vastly underestimating FDev if we were to think that either space legs or atmospheric landings won't be in season 4 or that they haven't been in development since day one , matter of fact I'd wager it is a sure thing that one if not both will definitely be in season 4.

So taking it as a certainty that season 4 will definitely be one or both it now depends on how they are implemented which will be make or break for a lot of the player base.

I'll still be playing no matter as it is and maybe for the quite some time the best space game available.

No. Frontiers credibility has been marked accordingly to each feature though. Personally I’m at the point where I have one or more skins for all ships so it will effect how I look at the store definitely.

Chapter 4 has a lot of potential imo. Once the bugs are sorted, I think it'll be an overall plus for many parts of the game.

I've been primarily a BGS player until this update, but the BGS is so screwy now that I'm focusing more on engineering my ships. I already miss the BGS and don't think it'll ever regain the strategic nuances and gameplay that it had prior to chapter 4. That's unfortunate, but there are still parts of the game that can hold my interest.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself for now. Once I max out engineering, I wonder what'll be left. Time will tell if the game will have staying power beyond engineering.

I hold out some hope that the BGS will be somewhat fixed, although I'll miss the game that it was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom