Is doing exobiology fun for a bit, and do you have to be the first foot fall/planet discoverer to make decent credits?

Ideally the best landing spots are right at the boundary of two or more species ranges. Then you can potentially scan a whole planet's bio from a single landing spot.

On the other hand, I have learned to skip Fungoida Setisis.
I am not a completionist, so scanning them is an unrewarding challenge, in the majority of cases.
Around the bubble I will tend to skip them as well, out near Colonia and the Core they were still found in higher terrain but not in their traditional inaccessible locations, in fact I had missed quite a few before I landed on what would be considered a saddle to log off for the day after fruitlessly looking at the peaks to find myself almost surrounded by a meadow of them.

Around the bubble I will tend to skip them as well, out near Colonia and the Core they were still found in higher terrain but not in their traditional inaccessible locations, in fact I had missed quite a few before I landed on what would be considered a saddle to log off for the day after fruitlessly looking at the peaks to find myself almost surrounded by a meadow of them.
I tend to find endless meadows of anything, over flatlands as far as the eye can see, whenever I finish scanning the third sample of a very hard to find plant.
Especially crag loving Fungoida, Osseus and Frutexa.

10 is the maximum I have found, but there are a few planets with more, I had to visit them specially to check it out, 11 is the max I know of. In theory the max is determined only by the conditions.

Ah here it is from a previous discussion;

I’ve found more species than signals from the scan a few times, and once I scanned them it updated the number in the DSS and map. I wonder if that’s how the systems with more than 10 started.

You will only be One type of any bio present on any one world
I faintly remember reading a long time ago someone saying somewhere that, while extremely rare, it is possible for the same species of plant to appear twice on the same planet (with different colors), but I'm not at all sure if I remember correctly, or if that's actually true.

I faintly remember reading a long time ago someone saying somewhere that, while extremely rare, it is possible for the same species of plant to appear twice on the same planet (with different colors), but I'm not at all sure if I remember correctly, or if that's actually true.

That's quite common for the old Horizons bios even on atmospheric planets, but haven't seen that with the new bios. Even when there are two different types of Horizons bios on a planet it shown up as one on the first scan;

I’ve found more species than signals from the scan a few times, and once I scanned them it updated the number in the DSS and map. I wonder if that’s how the systems with more than 10 started.

Possibly that's where this happened, however the only 11 bio planet I visited was all the new Odyssey bio, and I don't think that happens with those.

it is possible for the same species of plant to appear twice on the same planet (with different colors)
That's quite common for the old Horizons bios even on atmospheric planets

Aren't colours linked only to the star's class? Or was it a combination of Star Class, gravity, and temperature? I remember reading a Cannon post linking colours to star class though... Anyone else remember that article?
I've never seen multiple colour variants on a planet in Odyssey, or even in Horizons. However, if Varonica says that she has, then I accept it as true.
O7,
V

Aren't colours linked only to the star's class? Or was it a combination of Star Class, gravity, and temperature? I remember reading a Cannon post linking colours to star class though... Anyone else remember that article?
I've never seen multiple colour variants on a planet in Odyssey, or even in Horizons. However, if Varonica says that she has, then I accept it as true.
O7,
V
Like this?
20240415202034_1.jpg

On finding some fungoida I like to scramble around on foot to try to get all three scans, so I don't have the hassle of finding more landing spots.

Though one can fly upside down..
Depends on the gravity nowadays, ships even with FA on can start to drift towards the ground if they get at a steep enough angle that the landing thrusters are ineffective. This can start to happen at surprisingly low gravities and at around 45 degrees angle maybe. It was thought by some to be linked to the thrusters bug that was affecting Cutters in particular but it still showed up after that was fixed.

Like mentioned one can also fly at an angle using the thrusters, this is normally what I do if in my exploration courier.

But I've never been to any high G planet that caused me problems.

The external camera is also a very good option!

Interestingly, when you DSS a planet the bio just reports as Brain Trees, no sub-species until you actually use the sampler or ship/srv scanner, the correct species is then entered into the journal for that type of Brain Tree, hence why you might get 1 bio on DSS but actually 2 bio after you have finished scanning the 2 variants. One other thing is, do Odyssey bio behave the same way? Having checked, again like the Brain Trees if you DSS a body the entry in the journal for instance for bacteria will just say "bacterium" until you sample it with the sampler or scan with the ship/srv scanner where it then gets it's colour and full name.

Which brings up the question, are we sure there is only a single variant of each type of Odyssey bio on each planet? I mean, I always stop after 3 samples, as does everyone else I am guessing, I don't fly around looking for different types, so is there anything that actually says there's only a single sub-type of Odyssey bio per planet? If conditions are right could there be more?

Which brings up the question, are we sure there is only a single variant of each type of Odyssey bio on each planet? I mean, I always stop after 3 samples, as does everyone else I am guessing, I don't fly around looking for different types, so is there anything that actually says there's only a single sub-type of Odyssey bio per planet? If conditions are right could there be more?
The biology menu in the system map (4th icon on the right edge) will list all the species that you have scanned. If there are still unscanned species there will be empty boxes.

The biology menu in the system map (4th icon on the right edge) will list all the species that you have scanned. If there are still unscanned species there will be empty boxes.

Unscanned species, but variants of the same species? What happens with Brain Trees, are there two boxes one for each variant when first scanned, or just one for Brain Trees. Thia is what we are discussing, not species but variants of the same species.

I always stop after 3 samples, as does everyone else I am guessing, I don't fly around looking for different types, so is there anything that actually says there's only a single sub-type of Odyssey bio per planet?

Interesting. I too stop after I've found all species and have never bothered looking for other colour variants. According to Canonn, in Odyssey, colour variants for bacteria (and most species) depend on the star class. (https://canonn.science/codex/bacteria-2/). For some other species (e.g. Fumerola, Electriciae) colour variation depends on the planet's geology, i.e., on its mineral composition (https://canonn.science/codex/electricae/).
The brain tree data confirms what Varonica and Felix posted--one can find different variants on the same planet. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ahvLRATWVJnBwJAnXk8pV2bHw/edit#gid=1274969074)
O7
V

Top Bottom