Is doing exobiology fun for a bit, and do you have to be the first foot fall/planet discoverer to make decent credits?

Unscanned species, but variants of the same species? What happens with Brain Trees, are there two boxes one for each variant when first scanned, or just one for Brain Trees. Thia is what we are discussing, not species but variants of the same species.
The non Odyssey bios seem to be handled differently as the EliteObservatory BioInsights tools don’t show them at all so the behaviour of Brain Trees both on the ground and in the information panels might well have no bearing on the Odyssey species.

The non Odyssey bios seem to be handled differently as the EliteObservatory BioInsights tools don’t show them at all so the behaviour of Brain Trees both on the ground and in the information panels might well have no bearing on the Odyssey species.

Bio-insights wasn't made to work with them, they simply weren't included in the current version, that's a future project as far as I am aware and may come with the next version, I think the problem is the parameters are more difficult to predict location wise but there's no underlying reason why bio-insights doesn't do them except they are more difficult to do than the Odyssey bio.

Well I haven't noticed a different subtype come up at any point when I've been sampling. If it did you'd expect it to warn you about discarding a previous sample.

Oh agreed, but then I haven't sampled my three samples locally and flown halfway around the planet to a different area to check, at least no more than once or twice. It's usually get the 3 nearby samples and stop looking, but if there was some other factor, perhaps temperature that might be lower at the poles that allowed another variant to exist there, maybe it does, but we would need to do a lot of looking and studying of the various requirements to start doing that, not a project I think I am ready to take on at the moment.

For some other species (e.g. Fumerola, Electriciae) colour variation depends on the planet's geology, i.e., on its mineral composition

Which is probably why Bio-insights often lists multiple types as a possibility for a planet, some might require Ruthenium to be present, some Polonium, so what factor then decides which type if both minerals are present? Or are there areas on the planet where Ruthenium dominates and you get one type, and another area where Polonium dominates and you get the other type? These are things we don't know because we don't know exactly how the planet generation system creates the planets in detail, so if the body is 3% Ruthenium, is that 3% everywhere? If not it might explain why you can look for ages in a blue area and find nothing and go to another location and find bio immediately, Ruthenium in the first area may have been less than 1% but still present, hence the blue, but it means the bio is much rarer in that area.

Lots of questions, no answers, oh well.

That's quite common for the old Horizons bios even on atmospheric planets, but haven't seen that with the new bios. Even when there are two different types of Horizons bios on a planet it shown up as one on the first scan;
Just dropped into an old horizons bio, 1 bio showing on first scan, checked system map after scanning planet and on organic information 2 bio's showing although planetary information still shows only 1, both were brain trees.

I have never seen more than 1 variant of the same species on an Odyssey planet.

Thinking about this, if there was more than 1 variant of the same species on an Odyssey planet then you should get an extra blank box or two showing in organic information, in some cases I refer to this tab to try to check or remember what's still to hunt for:) and I have never seen an extra empty box.

Just dropped into an old horizons bio, 1 bio showing on first scan, checked system map after scanning planet and on organic information 2 bio's showing although planetary information still shows only 1, both were brain trees.

I have never seen more than 1 variant of the same species on an Odyssey planet.

You sometimes get Brain Trees on Odyssey planets, they would be the ones to look for to determine whether it's planet based or bio based. The thing with the two Brain Tree variants is they often co-exist in the same location, so the requirements for their generation seem to be very broad, but requirements for odyssey bio is much tighter and you probably wouldn't get two variants existing next to each other. That's always been the case with the Horizons bio's though, two different variants of the Anemone can often be found on the same body as well.

I did a clear save re startED on an NEW account yesterday. Did a few missions to have enough to buy a bare Artemis suit and fit a surface scanner. Flew to HIP 18725 for one mission (still needed credits to afford to upgrade from Sidewinder to Hauler), saw two HMCs with single bio both turned out to be Stratum Tectonicas.

So that gave me over 38million for scanning on two bodies in one system in the bubble.

Bio rewards have hugely skewed the game.

EDIT: Just remembered about this post where I had said it was a clear save when in fact it was a new account that I had been gifted. Sorry about that, must have been a brain fart when I first posted. LOL

Last edited:
I was watching a video about it and the guy was maki9ng huge credits, but I was wondering if it makes decent credits just scanning stuff without being the person who discovered the planet and was the first to walk on it?
If you are going to spend some time doing exploring activities (scanning planets, exobiology, first footfalls, etc) it makes most sense to take the small extra time to travel a couple thousand Ly outside the bubble to an area that has no previous discoveries from other cmdrs. An area where most of the primary stars have no discovery name attached to them. The easiest areas to find like this are non-descript locations not on a direct route to anywhere.

A normal inexpensive exploration ship with good jump range can zip into deep space np. If you are afraid of possibly exploding and losing your data then plan your rout to loop around to a DSSA fleet carrier. These are reliably located fleet carriers you can count on being there. You can sell your cartographic data and codex discoveries there. And repair your ship to perfect condition. Plus if you explode you will respawn at the last station or fleet carrier you landed on. DSSA Map Locations

Last edited:
I just had a great session and made the first footfall on 8 planets with Stratum Tectonicas.

I landed on 10 planets this session.

I have about 12 more planets to check out in this area and then I'll make another jump or two out.

I made two carrier jumps out in not the best direction and the stars were getting pretty thin, I jumped back at about a 45 degree direction and hit a pretty good area. It has all been discovered but there are a prety good amount of scans made without going downb to the planets.

If you are going to spend some time doing exploring activities (scanning planets, exobiology, first footfalls, etc) it makes most sense to take the small extra time to travel a couple thousand Ly outside the bubble to an area that has no previous discoveries from other cmdrs. An area where most of the primary stars have no discovery name attached to them. The easiest areas to find like this are non-descript locations not on a direct route to anywhere.

A normal inexpensive exploration ship with good jump range can zip into deep space np. If you are afraid of possibly exploding and losing your data then plan your rout to loop around to a DSSA fleet carrier. These are reliably located fleet carriers you can count on being there. You can sell your cartographic data and codex discoveries there. And repair your ship to perfect condition. Plus if you explode you will respawn at the last station or fleet carrier you landed on. DSSA Map Locations
Thank you, I bookmarked it.

The thing with the two Brain Tree variants is they often co-exist in the same location,
FWIW & IIRC, I've seen planets with up to 4 different brain trees.
It's not the rum. I have seen multi-coloured brain trees too, but I cannot remember if it was in Horizons or Odyssey. Is there anyone in the Guardian regions right now? I'm in the Errant Marches, so I can't check.
Or are there areas on the planet where Ruthenium dominates and you get one type, and another area where Polonium dominates and you get the other type?
Aren't Ruthenium and Polonium in different grades? If so, the former would show up in piceous cobbles, the latter only in crystalline fragments? With a genus like fumerola, whose colour variation depends on local geology, one might expect to see different colours on the same planet. One near the geysers with Grade 3 cobbles, and another colour near geysers (or other geological signs) with crystalline fragments.
I will look out for these. Finally! Something to search for other than Raxxla and the Guardian homeworld over the weekend.
O7
V
PS: Apologies to the OP for digressing from the original post. Sorry.

I discovered 2 systems this last session, one having 38 bodies. There were two high metal content planets with atmosphere, and Stratum Tectonicas.

I got first discovered by, first scanned, and first foot fall on them. It was nice.

Eventually you will find a jackpot system and spend several days there, but it's worth it, my highest value system, and yes it was a single system;

kXnxV3D.jpg

Top Bottom