Is ED played by mostly "Old Ducks" like me?

You and I think alike! There are plenty of games that push the PS4 with amazing graphics and technical gameplay. Unfortunately ED isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, ED does some amazing things that are cutting-edge IMO (mostly involving the Stellar Forge), but it falls far short (visually) of many of the other games I play on PS4.
To be fair, most of the visually impressive PS4 games are PS4 exclusive or ported to PC, not the other way around like it is with Elite.

59 here.

Bought the old Atari games console in '81, playing stuff like ping pong, space invaders & the like, early video games.
Then about '83 bought my C64, when amongst other things I bought Elite in '84.
Since then I've had an Atari ST, Amiga & then various early PC's through the 90's & early Playstations for the kids. Though now I'm onto laptops. This is my 3rd laptop since starting ED on launch day.

I've played quite a lot of popular game's franchises over the years & must say, out of all of them, I've NEVER still been playing the same game 4 1/2 years later.

45 here and I played all the original Elite, Frontier and FFE versions. Being really into procedural generation helps 😁

For me ED is a relatively good version of Elite but I would like to see where it gets to the 100% complete stage :)

I don't think it makes much sense to judge a new game based on the standards of a by-gone era.

It does when that game wants to bring back the look and feel of those earlier games, which was precisely what ED's initial vision set out to do.

From the outset it was designed to bring Elite to modern hardware, not an entirely new game with Elite sticky taped onto the title (like the current situation of a game series like Command & Conquer, for example). That's what attracted most of the games Kickstarter funding, mostly from players that remembered playing those earlier versions (or watching their parents play it) throughout the 80's and 90's. It's why many of the core design choices, the "grindy" nature of the game (modern players cannot begin to do margins the scope of just how "grindy" the elite series was), the inherent unfairness of the galaxy and the lack of any real story (the story was always about you, your ship and what you could imagine doing with it). It's why the galaxy is big, beautiful and pretty much empty, it's also why you have hyperspace jumps and in system travel as opposed to instatravel wherever you want Skyrim style and even why Hutton Orbital is so bloody far away. It's even why this unfair galaxy will kill you given any opportunity (heck it's predecessors used to kill you for accidentally firing off your pulse lasers on the landing pad).

There is probably a whole lot more but the fact remains, ED is designed to feel a lot like it's predecessors, something that it can pull off very well. A game like that is always going to be compared with the standards of it predecessors, it pulls on the heart strings of those who grew up with it.

Of course it's modern times, concessions have been made to cater for a new audience, they needed to be done. FD needed to both maintain it's old player base but (just as importantly) generate new players. That's why even before Horizons it was easily the most accessable game in the series. It's why there are (basic) RPG elements why we play (nicely or otherwise) with others etc etc (yes I know there is so much more).

At the end of the day, changes to the formula can't be so drastic that it's completely separated from its predecessors, an ED still very much needs to be a game in the Elite series, it simply wouldn't be Elite otherwise.

Me and my dad both played the original on the BBC in 1984 and we both still play E : D now we're mid 40's / 70's, meeting up from time to time when we can in our private group.
The biggest issue for pensioners seems to be trying to squeeze some game time in amongst all of the holidays, gardening, grandchildren, visits to friends etc!

Of course, after that "rant" 36 here (One of the younger lads). I grew up with FE2, and FFE (on floppy disk) on A500 and PC. Those were the days when single digit frame rates were acceptable (on the A500) just because it was so impressive that it could be played. Then FFE on my dad's P75, for its time such a beautiful game, even if it was buggy as all hell...

First played Elite on an Acorn Electron - possible the least powerful platform ever available - probably did well at times to get 1 fps when you had 3 bandits on you.

However enough of that - in terms of people complaining there seem to be two groups - 1 groups who do not really care to much about the odd bug because actually (as other have said) all the other non bugged things in ED are exactly what we wanted from ED. (the recent bug was the first 'game breaker' for me and I have been on PS4 since launch)

And then there is another set of people who seem to only be able to see the negative side - but interestingly there seem to be a subset of people who think that if they keep complaining and shouting and insulting people they will get their own way and if not then they feel they have a right to flounce off and call everyone else muppets for staying.

I do not know where this sort of behaviour comes from -- initially thought it was just snowflakes but seems if it is we have some old snowflakes in here.

But whatever - I think ED is great and will continue to get enjoyment from it.

Someone posted the following in another thread of mine (abbreviated):

This, along with various other threads and photos from the meet-ups make me wonder if we are all "Old Ducks" playing this game. Ironically I'm actually relatively young compared to many in this forum. My "Old Duck" PSN name was in relation to the average demographic on the Playstation - so when I'm playing Overwatch or Fortnite, the "Old Duck" is very fitting (and earns me some good laughs), whereas I'm beginning to think that I'm a "Young Rooster" when it comes to Elite Dangerous.

I do find the "ED on PS4 is better than Elite on Commodore 64, so what's all the fuss about bugs and graphics?" mentality to be a bit frustrating. If ED is played mostly by a bunch of old guys happy it's better than the C64, then it probably will never rise to the expectations of this "Young Rooster". After all, the original Elite had flickering graphics, so why complain about the terrible flickering shadows on PS4?

And if you are young, young enough not to have played the original Elite games, I'm curious - what draws you to Elite Dangerous? This is a sincere question, as I think many of us older folk (I am old enough to have played Elite on C64 as a kid) play at least partially out of nostalgia.

What about Elite on PS4 and ED on Commodore 64?

My mother is annoying me by owning computer equipment she doesn fully understand because some one 'sold' it to her. I remember when each advancement in bit 8bit 16bit 32bit brought quantifiable differences in games/software.

But we are comparing apples and oranges.

In the UK the BBCmicro was the main computers in schools. It was the original machine that Elite was developed on. Of course we know about the Acorn Atom. The other widely used computer of the spectrum. The one with all the games.

Back then as is now cpu speed memory soundchip graphics resolutions were all key differentiators.

BBcmicro B had 32k standard memory . The mode2 graphics mode gives 8 unique colors the oher '8' are flashing. When you see the same games with more memory you already see what difference it can make.

Some crazy people still use the BBC micro for there everyday tasks and have even upgraded various part to include modern peripherals.

The commodore 64 graphics sub system was completely rewritten to allow 'vector' graphics for c64 Elite version. Not sure what the legal aspect of getting that code released for academic purposes. Again there is an active demo scene.

Either you needed to be a rich kid to afford any of these computers.

Codemasters started in there bedroom writing games which were marketed in the back of magazine.

You were considered very much a geek to have any interest in computer then.

Being 41... oh boy, that number looks weird... anyway, I played Frontier games as a young lad, not original Elite. I'm a PC gamer since around that time, so I believe I see EDangerous for what it is and what it could be. I don't feel much nostalgia, yet I'm able to see past the shortcomings of ED, because otherwise it gives me something no other space game is able to provide. Vastness of space and freedom - inlcuding freedom to not fly in space, but drive on some rock instead. If there's something I don't like or find lacking in game, I try to use my imagination or create some house rules to fix that on my end first.
I also enjoy ED community immensely, because finally I don't feel too old here.

Only 51, but that's just the number on the timeline: I still think I'm who I was when I was 20-something.

Met Elite on the BBC Micro, and it was my very first video-game crush. When I went to my cousins' place, they had a speccy, but no Elite. I just thought their speccy games were rubbish :D while they thought Elite was boring!

I also dabble in other games, still... GTA - from the very first version: that blew me away somewhat, along with Charlie Brooker's excellent PC Zone era.
Sim City, Civilisation, Morrowind, Thief, Populous, Half Life, Quake, Unreal Tournament GOTY (Man I put some hours into the last two!!), TF2...

Games: So many good times! Who on earth has time for TV???

o7

I completely understand why it's not sensible or helpful to judge this game (or overlook its failings) because of how much better it is than what some of us played in the 80s. And yet... I'm sorry, I can't help but feel that way. I know that it's wrong. But, and this is as true now as it was in 2015, I still find myself thinking I'm playing Elite but look how fancy and BIG it is! on a regular basis. These games have been a larger part of my life than any other. And truth be told, I'll forgive FD far more than they warrant being forgiven because it's 2019 and I'm still able to play a new, up-to-date, and mostly functional Elite.

Also, possibly relevant, possibly not, but I started playing Elite when I was awfully young. Maybe five? No older than seven. It's been a fixture throughout my life. An alternative universe that's always been there (I guess lots of Star Trek fans feel the same about that, but Elite is the only sci-fi creation I've ever been really interested in).

(EDIT: Also, I think it's worth adding, if you waited expectantly for the entire nineteen years - or twenty in my case, I couldn't afford to buy this game for a few months after it came out - between games, that has an effect, it can build a lens through which you view and judge this game, and only this game.)

Last edited:
To be fair, most of the visually impressive PS4 games are PS4 exclusive or ported to PC, not the other way around like it is with Elite.
But on the other hand, ED was visually impressive when it first released on PS4 (except for the beige plague, but that's not a console thing). It was no Horizon Zero Dawn, but it was good enough for me. Remember, I'm not as fussy as people think, hence why I play on a Slim instead of the Pro. The broken shadow issue is a bug acknowledged by Frontier, one that's never been fixed despite their attempts.

I think the problem is that Frontier put their best people on the job to port ED to PS4, and once it was released, they moved that team to JWE and other projects. That's why 2.3 was great, but starting with 2.4 ED on PS4 started to fall apart. From Frontier's Cobra Engine page (emphasis mine):
This engine allows the game teams to develop and debug their titles primarily on PC, without the need to concern themselves with the technical details of the individual target platforms unless necessary. It also makes for clean, structured code where the game logic only needs one set of verification at the beta stage of the project, greatly reducing the amount of testing time required for additional platform versions of a game.

Cobra engine was supposed to allow Frontier to "fire and forget" when it comes to the console ports, but unfortunately it has failed in that regard.

In regards to the OP's original question: I'm in my 30's and reading many posts in this forum makes me feel like I'm several decades older than a number of people. There does seem to be a large representation of 'older' players though which I actually appreciate and find endearing about the game. It's definitely not a common game for kids (though I know some do play it).

I actually have something to look forward to in retirement. As long as I can sit in the chair, operate a mouse and keyboard and see the screen, elite dangerous is my retirement plan..
There are now ways to play even if you can't sit in a chair and can't operate a mouse and keyboard. By the time you're at that point hopefully we can just plug ourselves straight into the game matrix-style ;)

Top Bottom